IGNORED

Diedhiou and Djuric back mid-January

The Enormous Turnip

14 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

If true, wowzers. Sometimes I feel bad for sending him pelters on Twitter and then this comes along.

Bloke deserves all the stick thrown at him. Utter ******.

He’s clearly thick as mud and doesn’t deserve to be blessed with his talent.

Imagine someone as decent and hard working as Scott Wagstaff but with Tomlin’s talent.. he’d be a premier league player.

To think our fans bought his gaudy ‘loyal love’ hats thinking it would persuade him to sign when he was playing all those childish games on Twitter.

Oh well, one benefit is that LJ is definitely a better manager for the experience of managing such a toxic character.

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s clearly thick as mud and doesn’t deserve to be blessed with his talent.

Imagine someone as decent and hard working as Scott Wagstaff but with Tomlin’s talent.. he’d be a premier league player.

To think our fans bought his gaudy ‘loyal love’ hats thinking it would persuade him to sign when he was playing all those childish games on Twitter.

Oh well, one benefit is that LJ is definitely a better manager for the experience of managing such a toxic character.

That’s the issue though, these ‘geniuses’ usually lack some other component, and that’s why they ply their trade beneath the Prem.  It might be fitness, workrate, intelligence.

Look at JET, I think his physique let him down.  He was a big old unit, and not easy to carry that around for 90 minutes week after week.  I felt a bit sorry for him.  I think it gave the impression of him being lazy, but I genuinely think he couldn’t get his body around the pitch, so was economical with the opportunities to get into top gear.  I think he realised he was somewhere in between League 1 and Champ as a result, and no matter what he did, he wasn’t going to be change that, so didn’t try.  That might seem the wrong attitude, but he never created a fuss in that 14/15 season, when I think he could’ve created a lot of trouble and ruined the ethic.  I thank him for that...and also some wonderful moments (not just wonderful goals).

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the issue though, these ‘geniuses’ usually lack some other component, and that’s why they ply their trade beneath the Prem.  It might be fitness, workrate, intelligence.

Look at JET, I think his physique let him down.  He was a big old unit, and not easy to carry that around for 90 minutes week after week.  I felt a bit sorry for him.  I think it gave the impression of him being lazy, but I genuinely think he couldn’t get his body around the pitch, so was economical with the opportunities to get into top gear.  I think he realised he was somewhere in between League 1 and Champ as a result, and no matter what he did, he wasn’t going to be change that, so didn’t try.  That might seem the wrong attitude, but he never created a fuss in that 14/15 season, when I think he could’ve created a lot of trouble and ruined the ethic.  I thank him for that...and also some wonderful moments (not just wonderful goals).

I loved watching JET. One of my favourite players to watch in all the time I've been a fan. I'm not surprised Wenger genuinely thought he could be a first team player for Arsenal.

Noble and Trundle were the others I particularly enjoyed who I felt didn't quite get to where they could've done in the game.

I think Trundle, like JET, wasn't blessed with natural athleticism and probably came into the game a bit late to reach his true potential. Another one who I think could've played in the Premier League - if only Swansea had their rise a few years earlier! On raw ability I think he was good enough for the Prem but perhaps he enjoyed being a hero at Swansea rather than part of a team of stars.

Noble - another one with brilliant ability but his work ethic let him down. So many City players from that era talk about how fantastically gifted he was but he enjoyed the perks of the lifestyle a bit too much. Another player with Premier League ability who never got there. Such a waste.

I can't see us recruiting many more enigma type players these days. We seem to have liked signing flawed geniuses over the years - now we seem to have a few players with potential Prem ability but the work ethic and attitude to go with it. DNA I suppose.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

JET seemed to know who and what he was, he didn’t seem to be a billy big bollox and seemed to be a positive around the team.  Always had a smile on his face.  I really liked JET.

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I loved watching JET. One of my favourite players to watch in all the time I've been a fan. I'm not surprised Wenger genuinely thought he could be a first team player for Arsenal.

Noble and Trundle were the others I particularly enjoyed who I felt didn't quite get to where they could've done in the game.

I think Trundle, like JET, wasn't blessed with natural athleticism and probably came into the game a bit late to reach his true potential. Another one who I think could've played in the Premier League - if only Swansea had their rise a few years earlier! On raw ability I think he was good enough for the Prem but perhaps he enjoyed being a hero at Swansea rather than part of a team of stars.

Noble - another one with brilliant ability but his work ethic let him down. So many City players from that era talk about how fantastically gifted he was but he enjoyed the perks of the lifestyle a bit too much. Another player with Premier League ability who never got there. Such a waste.

I can't see us recruiting many more enigma type players these days. We seem to have liked signing flawed geniuses over the years - now we seem to have a few players with potential Prem ability but the work ethic and attitude to go with it. DNA I suppose.

Excellent post, thanks.

I would say of JET that football wasn't that important to him but he still did a great job for us.

It always struck me that for all his talent and record at Swansea we were the first and only team to offer big money for Trundle, which must tell us something. A really nice guy who had interests outside football. Scored one of the biggest goals in our history though.

Lee has spoken glowingly of Noble recently. Another great talent but lacked a certain professionalism shall we say? Combine his talent and Lee's attitude and you would have had a Premiership player.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Excellent post, thanks.

I would say of JET that football wasn't that important to him but he still did a great job for us.

It always struck me that for all his talent and record at Swansea we were the first and only team to offer big money for Trundle, which must tell us something. A really nice guy who had interests outside football. Scored one of the biggest goals in our history though.

Lee has spoken glowingly of Noble recently. Another great talent but lacked a certain professionalism shall we say? Combine his talent and Lee's attitude and you would have had a Premiership player.

Thank you - I agree with all of that.

Going by his social media, JET now seems to have basically resigned himself to a career of knocking around the lower leagues but having fun off the pitch. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but such a shame.

Imagine if a manager could harness JET's ability and consistently bring the best out of him? Where's Mr. O'Driscoll these days?! Seemingly the only manager who's achieved it. Wonder how he did it..

IIRC Sheffield Weds were interested in Trundle at one stage but he didn't go. I think you're right it's quite telling we were the first and only team to bother. SL liked his marquee signings in those days and Trundle is a great example of one. 

I think Noble's friendship with Richard Keogh led to a lot of alcohol being drunk. I remember that video of those two half dead on the celebratory boat tour! Funny how one of them - who clearly has far less ability - has managed a good career as Derby captain whilst the other has gradually drifted down the leagues. 

I never really warmed to Tomlin in quite the same way. His social media showed him for what he is I think. He gave us a couple of great moments, but the group is SO much better off without him. We have a young and impressionable team where Aden Flint, Marlon Pack and Korey Smith (at the ripe old ages of 28 and 26) are seen as seasoned campaigners. We can really do without the likes of Tomlin disrupting things. The 'DNA' thing is very important and we can see it bearing fruit.

@Phileas Fogg your final para hits the nail on the head for me re transfer targets.  "Seasoned Pros" - at 26 (Flint at 28).  From memory Pack has played close on 400 games at 26.  Bryan 200+ at 24. Smith 300ish at 26.  Brownhill 150 at 22.  In my opinion, you don’t need to look at players 30+ to bring in experience.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Phileas Fogg your final para hits the nail on the head for me re transfer targets.  "Seasoned Pros" - at 26 (Flint at 28).  From memory Pack has played close on 400 games at 26.  Bryan 200+ at 24. Smith 300ish at 26.  Brownhill 150 at 22.  In my opinion, you don’t need to look at players 30+ to bring in experience.

Agree - all of them are still young men but football forces players to have 'experience' beyond their years. There's no substitute for playing games and Tinnion clearly sees that by sending out as many young players on loan as possible - rather than being with the u23s.

I really like our recruitment strategy, it won't always work - but when it does you develop great young players with many years left in their careers.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we can go up and stay up (I don't see any other way we can keep hold of him), then Bryan must have the potential to run Carey's record close.

31 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Posted a video up on his facebook doing his chant. Love him to bits.

Me too.  Don’t think some realise what a top RB we’ve got when he’s back.  I loved watching his positional sense, his awareness of where the danger is, and as LJ says re his nose, not gonna be one to shirk putting his head in.

Watch him when he’s about to receive the ball in tight areas, gets his head up, trusts his touch, or ability to play the first time pass.  Technically very good.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.  Don’t think some realise what a top RB we’ve got when he’s back.  I loved watching his positional sense, his awareness of where the danger is, and as LJ says re his nose, not gonna be one to shirk putting his head in.

Watch him when he’s about to receive the ball in tight areas, gets his head up, trusts his touch, or ability to play the first time pass.  Technically very good.

Been saying it from his first game that he looks a class apart positionally. Reads the game as well as anyone in the division and has a nose for danger like you say. IMO offers us the protection we get from BW as well as the ability to take it to the byline. Top signing for me.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:20, chinapig said:

Excellent post, thanks.

Together with an absolute cracker at home to Scunthorpe.

On 27/12/2017 at 11:35, Septic Peg said:

I wrote this 2 weeks ago...

So I reckon Gaz is due back in about 2 weeks though I really won't be surprised if we pay him up in Jan.

The Man Utd game had Pisano, COD, Fammy all there celebrating.

Djuric is obv still recovering from his op and I think Heggy and Lucic were both visiting their families abroad.

But I didn't see Gaz at all and he lives near Norwich. Not exactly difficult to visit now.

Gustav was sat with his girlfriend near us in Lansdown W11 as he has done for quite a few games. He didn’t exactly get over-excited during the match and seemed a bit embarrassed at the attention he was getting from fans celebrating at the end. My reading of that was that his days at Bristol City are coming to an end, but I can’t even decipher my other half’s body language.

25 minutes ago, redapple said:

Gustav was sat with his girlfriend near us in Lansdown W11 as he has done for quite a few games. He didn’t exactly get over-excited during the match and seemed a bit embarrassed at the attention he was getting from fans celebrating at the end. My reading of that was that his days at Bristol City are coming to an end, but I can’t even decipher my other half’s body language.

His social media speaks volumes

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:46, JamesBCFC said:

If we can go up and stay up (I don't see any other way we can keep hold of him), then Bryan must have the potential to run Carey's record close.

The BCFC appearance record is still held by one JOHN ATYEO. His appearances do not included farcical 2 minutes sub appearances!

On 29/12/2017 at 19:01, JonDolman said:

Needs a loan to league one desperately. He seems to have the pace and work rate. Technically looks decent too. Just fill out more and learn to cope with English centre halves, and we might have some player. 

The little boy doesn't want to do a loan...get rid asap.

Archived