IGNORED

43 years ago today

22A

28th December 1974 was my 20th birthday and I spent the afternoon stood on the Open End at Eastville. Half Time Rovers 1 - City 0. During the second half, all my mates kept coming over to shake my hand and wish me a happy birthday as the full time score was Rovers 1 - City 4. That was a birthday present to remember; thanks guys!

Today I've received this Paperback by Richard Crooks  £9.99 ISBN 978-1-78531-263-2

519CfZEdBsL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

To show how football has softened up since then, on one page it lists a team composed of Pat Jennings (Spurs), Tommy Smith (L'pool), Ron Harris (Chelsea), Denis Smith, Duncan Forbes, Billy Bremner, Peter Storey, Norman Hunter, Ian Hutchinson, Derek Dougan & Mike Summerbee. In the Reserves you could have Jack Charlton, John McGrath, Johnny Giles, Andy Lockhead, Joe Jordan, Roger Hynd, Trevor Hockey & Graeme Souness.

Quite a few of those names later went into management. A further thought; Norman Hunter & Joe Jordan played for City in the 1970s, but I don't recall us being a physical team. Mike Summerbee had been on City's books as a Youth player, but we released him to Bath, than a Man C scout spotted him.

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

28th December 1974 was my 20th birthday and I spent the afternoon stood on the Open End at Eastville. Half Time Rovers 1 - City 0. During the second half, all my mates kept coming over to shake my hand and wish me a happy birthday as the full time score was Rovers 1 - City 4. That was a birthday present to remember; thanks guys!

Today I've received this Paperback by Richard Crooks  £9.99 ISBN 978-1-78531-263-2

519CfZEdBsL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

To show how football has softened up since then, on one page it lists a team composed of Pat Jennings (Spurs), Tommy Smith (L'pool), Ron Harris (Chelsea), Denis Smith, Duncan Forbes, Billy Bremner, Peter Storey, Norman Hunter, Ian Hutchinson, Derek Dougan & Mike Summerbee. In the Reserves you could have Jack Charlton, John McGrath, Johnny Giles, Andy Lockhead, Joe Jordan, Roger Hynd, Trevor Hockey & Graeme Souness.

Quite a few of those names later went into management. A further thought; Norman Hunter & Joe Jordan played for City in the 1970s, but I don't recall us being a physical team. Mike Summerbee had been on City's books as a Youth player, but we released him to Bath, than a Man C scout spotted him.

https://www.1st-take.com/proddetail.php?prod=15139

I don’t know if you’re aware of this dvd, I bought it a couple of years ago, it’s got that game at Eastville and the 1-1 draw at the Gate in 1975 on there. I’ve always been jealous of those who saw the glory days of the 70’s, hopefully this year they will be repeated.

I was 14, living in St Werburghs and we had made a banner. (Dick's Red N White army) with felt tip pen, you couldn't even read it from the other end.
Walked to the game, 3 or 4 of us, as we got near the end of the lane that came up to the old car park we heard a massive roar. We must have just hesitated a little as a guy next to us said , "I wouldn't worry , that's your lot" . Open end was rammed.
Got the DVD of the game recently, spent ages looking to see if you could see us, sadly as it was made by the gAss , or at least their chosen company, they didn't show the open end too much.

48 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

https://www.1st-take.com/proddetail.php?prod=15139

I don’t know if you’re aware of this dvd, I bought it a couple of years ago, it’s got that game at Eastville and the 1-1 draw at the Gate in 1975 on there. I’ve always been jealous of those who saw the glory days of the 70’s, hopefully this year they will be repeated.

In December 1974, a crowd of over 20,000 at a windswept Eastville Stadium welcomed the first League derby for over nine years. In attack, Paul Cheesley and Keith Fear proved a formidable partnership on the day as City recovered to win the match 4-1

There you go gasheads, you can get a large crowd (if City are the visitors) and you're used to waiting a long time between derby games.

Happy Birthday 22A.

I recall it was a very windy day and Rovers played with the wind in the first-half and I think it was Keith Fear who when coming off at half time said to a teammate that their one goal lead wouldn't be enough.

Btw, you said that Norman Hunter and Joe Jordan played for City in the 70s. It was the mid-80s in Joe's case.

This was the first derby I ever attended and it was 2 days before my tenth birthday , at least it prepared me for a lifetime of football misery!

I seem to remember Cheesley playing and being out of shape and not highly thought of at the time, although that could be my memory playing tricks on me. Can any of you really old ******* confirm if this was true or not? Was Cheesley one of those players who didn't shine straight away?

That program

fullsizeoutput_2b.jpeg

From what I remember of them , Jim Eadie- fat bloke nicked pasties and a TV from the Club that was by the back of the Tote end. Pete Aitkin went on to bigger and better clubs and..... no that's it.

fullsizeoutput_2c.jpeg

Megson was always confident, knew nothing !

fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

This was the first derby I ever attended and it was 2 days before my tenth birthday , at least it prepared me for a lifetime of football misery!

I seem to remember Cheesley playing and being out of shape and not highly thought of at the time, although that could be my memory playing tricks on me. Can any of you really old ******* confirm if this was true or not? Was Cheesley one of those players who didn't shine straight away?

From (poor) memory, he took a little time to really start to shine. The whole team gelled in the next year or so.

My first ever away derby, I was 11 and remember the walk from home (St.George) and having only seen City home games up to that point, being bemused by the number of people wearing blue & white scarves.

43 years later, it still baffles me..

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg

43 years on, City are again in div 2 as was. In that table City had P21 W9 D6 L6 and went on to automatic promotion. This season after 21 games City have P21 W11 D7 L3 which is a good deal better.

Looking at those teams, two are now non league; Orient & York, two others have dropped out, but got back into the League,; Oxford and gas. Out of the other 18 teams listed, I beleive City & Oldham are the only two not to have played in the Prem since that was formed.

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

43 years on, City are again in div 2 as was. In that table City had P21 W9 D6 L6 and went on to automatic promotion. This season after 21 games City have P21 W11 D7 L3 which is a good deal better.

Looking at those teams, two are now non league; Orient & York, two others have dropped out, but got back into the League,; Oxford and gas. Out of the other 18 teams listed, I beleive City & Oldham are the only two not to have played in the Prem since that was formed.

Oldham have, Millwall haven't.

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That program

fullsizeoutput_2b.jpeg

From what I remember of them , Jim Eadie- fat bloke nicked pasties and a TV from the Club that was by the back of the Tote end. Pete Aitkin went on to bigger and better clubs and..... no that's it.

fullsizeoutput_2c.jpeg

Megson was always confident, knew nothing !

fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg

Division 11? That's crap even by their standard!

Archived