IGNORED

Hope Johnson Learns From That

And Its Smith

3 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

A bad day at the office , however the lads will comeback Stronger as that will hurt a lot , quick word on Taylor totally in affective brings nothing to the team really need a striker in .

Agreed Taylor was ineffective. He did some good work on the left to bring the ball down and beat a defender, getting into a position to be able to cross and cause problems. Instead he chose to shoot from a Van Basten angle... It was unintelligent and unusual for us - I was thinking how lucky we are now to have so many quick thinking, intelligent players across the team this season. Then Pack did something really thick right at the end!

It's difficult . While I didn't like Flint going up front, it was more to do with looking unbalanced at the back. When he first went, Brownhill looked like he was FB and Bailey had moved over. In theory we had a right footed/left footed CB combination Mags at LB. But Brownhill is not a WB/FB.  They then seemed to switch and Wright got across and Brownhill was pushed forward. For a short period they rotated quite well.
Up front Flint was making space for the runners, and when I was asked the question by a mate I really wasn't sure if I would  put Flint back as we really were in a position to force home the advantage. 
What Wolves did do is counter well, they really looked a threat (specially when the sub came on) and they almost caught us on a few occasions earlier. This is what worried me, with them down to 10 we could have kept 2 or 3 back to make sure we never got caught on the break. The other thing that the sending off did is make us play a bit slower, I think our possession stats were about 70% and it did lead to a little over playing and complacency . 
I don't get people saying WW deserved to win though. 11 Vs 11 ,  I thought we shaded it. 11 Vs 10 we dominated , to be fair 10 Vs 10 there was only going to be one winner after it went 1-1. 
With us at 'bare bones' and almost running on empty, you look at the quality they can bring off the bench there is a big gulf between us and them. That said I thought we looked very good in spells, against a top side, and what (another) great team goal. 
If we can add some quality bodies during Jan, I will stop trying to be sensible and start shouting that we can make 2nd.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

It's difficult . While I didn't like Flint going up front, it was more to do with looking unbalanced at the back. When he first went, Brownhill looked like he was FB and Bailey had moved over. In theory we had a right footed/left footed CB combination Mags at LB. But Brownhill is not a WB/FB.  They then seemed to switch and Wright got across and Brownhill was pushed forward. For a short period they rotated quite well.
Up front Flint was making space for the runners, and when I was asked the question by a mate I really wasn't sure if I would  put Flint back as we really were in a position to force home the advantage. 
What Wolves did do is counter well, they really looked a threat (specially when the sub came on) and they almost caught us on a few occasions earlier. This is what worried me, with them down to 10 we could have kept 2 or 3 back to make sure we never got caught on the break. The other thing that the sending off did is make us play a bit slower, I think our possession stats were about 70% and it did lead to a little over playing and complacency . 
I don't get people saying WW deserved to win though. 11 Vs 11 ,  I thought we shaded it. 11 Vs 10 we dominated , to be fair 10 Vs 10 there was only going to be one winner after it went 1-1. 
With us at 'bare bones' and almost running on empty, you look at the quality they can bring off the bench there is a big gulf between us and them. That said I thought we looked very good in spells, against a top side, and what (another) great team goal. 
If we can add some quality bodies during Jan, I will stop trying to be sensible and start shouting that we can make 2nd.

Thought Josh was poor tonight Mike - has been a contributor in most games but affected little tonight and our threat came mainly down left although ironically we scored with a beautiful piece of football down the right

Not his best night but they all have plenty of (Excuse the pun ,) brownie points in the bank

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought Josh was poor tonight Mike - has been a contributor in most games but affected little tonight and our threat came mainly down left although ironically we scored with a beautiful piece of football down the right

Not his best night but they all have plenty of (Excuse the pun ,) brownie points in the bank

Not his best but he does add balance . I think of all the midfield he looks to be struggling most, simply not enough time to recover and no options to rest him. 
Mags and JB rotated brilliantly today, I thought Bryan moving infield and leaving space for Hodour worked well, and he knocked in some real teasing crosses. 

I think the main lesson to learn is if you are a goalie don't deliberately get yourself sent off as no goal is certain - particularly from a player running quite fast with defenders on his tail. Moreover even if the goal had been scored, our one man advantage would more than likely have restored the lead. And let's face it, even if it didn't,  a point against a talented team like that is no bad thing. For me that,  not Johnson's tactics,  cost us the match.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

We go 1-0 up not because of Flint going up front and he leaves him there. It wasnt working at all, any flick ons weren't being met.  

If Johnson moves Flint back then we win that game. Hörður cannot be trusted at centre back and it was very naive from him for the sending off. 

This loss isn't going to ruin our season but lessons to be learned

RedDave tells Lee Johnson he needs to a learn lessons

:laugh:

I think Frankie will admit that was his fault, he had to make a quick decision and took the wrong option. He doesn't make many mistakes although I remember him doing something similar in his very first game for us (although no sending-off). Hope he's back soon as I prefer him to Steel.

As for people criticising Magners he was brilliant at LB first half, his crossing into the box reminded me of Tinman. With his long throw as well he's been a real asset in recent games.

Archived