IGNORED

Red cards Wolves

wayne allisons tongues

I can see why ref gave both cards yesterday but think maybe both were a little bit harsh.

wolves red he won the ball and caught Magnússon on his follow through, as they said in the studio in today’s climate a red. Personally think it’s harsh the guy has won the ball but can see why ref gave it. Just find it frustrating that you basically can’t put in certain tackles anymore which were all part of defending.

City red Frankie should never of been where he was but if you watch the replay he never moves and there player kicks his leg. Can see why ref gave it split second decision but I personally feel there player felt he had lost control and won the red instead of Frankie giving it away.

Just my opinion on them and as I said can see why ref gave them split second decisions without constant replays. 

Fielding's was a red all day long, looked to me like the player could easily have popped it in from where he was, our defenders were certainly not far enough back to stop it being a clear goal scoring opportunity. Interestingly, would like the view of someone who properly understands the intricacies of football laws, but if it was in the box and a penalty was given, is it right that a rule change now means Frankie would not have been sent off? To avoid the double punishment? Which makes it all the more depressing that they then score from the free kick.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Fielding's was a red all day long, looked to me like the player could easily have popped it in from where he was, our defenders were certainly not far enough back to stop it being a clear goal scoring opportunity. Interestingly, would like the view of someone who properly understands the intricacies of football laws, but if it was in the box and a penalty was given, is it right that a rule change now means Frankie would not have been sent off? To avoid the double punishment? Which makes it all the more depressing that they then score from the free kick.

Apparently so my colleague at work tells me this morning. If it had been a penalty, it wouldn’t have been a red card. 

For me, Baath’s challenge was somewhere between a yellow and red, and Frankie can’t have too many complaints. 

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Think he would still have gone as he made no attempt to play the ball mate

if he’d fouled him in a genuine attempt to

play the ball he’d have had a yellow and a pen

Having seen their SO I thought it was harsh and a further sign that when deciding to tackle in modern game you take a major risk- sides / players are cosched to pinch the ball now or intercept , or harass into mistake , to regain possession , rather than tackle 

And you can understand why

47 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I can see why ref gave both cards yesterday but think maybe both were a little bit harsh.

wolves red he won the ball and caught Magnússon on his follow through, as they said in the studio in today’s climate a red. Personally think it’s harsh the guy has won the ball but can see why ref gave it. Just find it frustrating that you basically can’t put in certain tackles anymore which were all part of defending.

City red Frankie should never of been where he was but if you watch the replay he never moves and there player kicks his leg. Can see why ref gave it split second decision but I personally feel there player felt he had lost control and won the red instead of Frankie giving it away.

Just my opinion on them and as I said can see why ref gave them split second decisions without constant replays. 

Tackles aren't obsolete, Joe made a sublime tackle yesterday , but they must be timed to perfection or the risk of punishment is high .See the number of cards Pack has accumulated.

I love the fact that we do indeed tackle and many opposition players are shocked by it .

Pigba didn't stop bleating against us . 

Baath went in studs up , bone breaking territory I'm afraid . Ref spot on.

Frankie got done but he should not have put himself in that position.

IMO Baath only wins that ball because he throws himself uncontrolled at the ball. If the rules were changed then Baath and Maggs both throw themselves at that ball and that's when you get broken bones (probably Maggs knowing our luck with injuries).

People say the games gone soft but its also never been faster and with that pace of game you would simply have 1/2 a squad out for a good part of the season under the rules from the 70s and 80s, I personally like to see our best 11 players on the pitch whenever possible.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Was thinking about that myself. In the box he probably gets away with it. Fine margins 

Putting the shoe on the other foot, if their goalie had done a Fielding and only got a yellow, I would be still raging. If our fella had made that tackle for a red, I would have said a bit harsh, could have got away with a yellow, but ‘meh, modern day football’. It’s reckless, he is over reaching. Equally it is single foot, and if it is off the ground at the point of impact it is only just. Poor tackle, and gave the ref a decision to make.

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Yes your right, watched replay 3 times, Frankie doesn't move,there player kicks Frankies foot, surely thats trying to con the ref into sending the player off,

19 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Fieldings IMO was a red . Looking at wolves red card this morning. It seemed a lot worse at the time. It was a bad tackle but can’t make my mind up if it was a sending off or not . I expect wolves to appeal it . 

Fielding was never red, he was only having a bit of fun because he was bored and the Wolves player went down life a sack of spuds. He should have seen red for diving. 

2 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Yes your right, watched replay 3 times, Frankie doesn't move,there player kicks Frankies foot, surely thats trying to con the ref into sending the player off,

Frankie does not move, but is yards outside our box?!!?

When he had played the ball round him, yes their player makes sure there is contact, but he had nowhere else to go. It is a red every single day of the week.

A lot has been said about it would have been better to have gone 1-1 but still 11 v 10. Sure. On the basis this is the first real rush of blood to the head he has had for a while, I am half wondering if he thought he was taking one for the team, and 10v10 but still 1-0 was better. The goal was hardly a gimmie. Most likely just a moment of madness in truth.

Single biggest moment that has changed the complexion of a match for me since our penalty v Wednesday last year, when a goal and a player up. 

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

When he had played the ball round him, yes their player makes sure there is contact, but he had nowhere else to go. It is a red every single day of the week.

A lot has been said about it would have been better to have gone 1-1 but still 11 v 10. Sure. On the basis this is the first real rush of blood to the head he has had for a while, I am half wondering if he thought he was taking one for the team, and 10v10 but still 1-0 was better. The goal was hardly a gimmie. Most likely just a moment of madness in truth.

Single biggest moment that has changed the complexion of a match for me since our penalty v Wednesday last year, when a goal and a player up. 

No don't agree,so what your saying, if a player gets tripped on the pitch it's a red?.

I thought the ref had a poor game. 

Couple of early challenges from them which should have been bookings - one on Flint springs to mind - and he didn’t even have a word with their player.

Their red is debatable, and in my opinion so is ours. Their player ‘bought’ the foul...most players do these days but Frankie didn’t bring him down. He threw himself at Frankies leg (poor decision from Frankie to come out though).

Never a free kick for their second - poor decision from Pack too.

Not blaming the ref for the loss - a couple of lapses in concentration which gave the ref the opportunity to make those decisions. We still have to be stronger and defend both set pieces far, far better - usually we do - but nevertheless the ref was poor.

Now as far as I'm aware, winning the ball has little to do with a foul these days. You can foul with the follow through or if you're deemed out of control or even over aggressive.
Their player went in studs up and foot off the ground, always going to go ig the Refs sees it.

I thought the Wolves player went in on Mags studs up so a red. With Frankie he puts his leg out and draws it back, then he either leaves it out or puts it back out (?), anyway the Wolves player makes sure he he caught andd goes down. Frankie shouldn’t have done what he did but the Wolves player was clever enough to make sure the Ref had little choice. 

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Under todays rules, both sendings off.  20 years ago both bookings.

Football has gone a bit soft in the last few years.

Gerry Gow, Norman Hunter, Ron Harris and the likes would be off every week had they been playing today.

Football used to be a men's game.

Maybe pedantic but Norman, Sir Gerryand Harris weren't playing 20 years ago. The point still stands though and in their day it'd been a quiet word at most 

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

I thought exactly the same.

A very one-sided match, 11 v 10 and a penalty to boot.

Hit the post with the penalty, red card, 10 v 10 and an unfortunate defeat.

And then a disastrous run....:fingerscrossed:.

Their red would be classed as wreckless and out of control. For me, think it is a foul and yellow though those always seem to draw reds when the player loses the ball and flies in to win it back. 

Fielding red all day. Gave ref no choice and was his first huge mistake all season. Gives Steele a chance to take the number 1 shirt. Let us see how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, WestonRobin said:

I thought the ref had a poor game. 

Couple of early challenges from them which should have been bookings - one on Flint springs to mind - and he didn’t even have a word with their player.

Their red is debatable, and in my opinion so is ours. Their player ‘bought’ the foul...most players do these days but Frankie didn’t bring him down. He threw himself at Frankies leg (poor decision from Frankie to come out though).

Never a free kick for their second - poor decision from Pack too.

Not blaming the ref for the loss - a couple of lapses in concentration which gave the ref the opportunity to make those decisions. We still have to be stronger and defend both set pieces far, far better - usually we do - but nevertheless the ref was poor.

One I have not seen mentioned is how we/he allowed them to steal the angle for the final free kick. It was given pretty much on the bye line, and ends up being taken yards and yards away. We should have been many moaning to high heaven about it.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Fieldings IMO was a red . Looking at wolves red card this morning. It seemed a lot worse at the time. It was a bad tackle but can’t make my mind up if it was a sending off or not . I expect wolves to appeal it . 

My understanding is that whether the ball is played before or after the collision with opposing player, then the action is deemed to be dangerous play, punished by a red card.

Do we really want to regress to the days when a player takes the ball first with all studs showing - ok then. But then inflicts a double fracture on the other player in the follow through. Other player's fault for being in the wrong place! In the old days, the injured player might have been forced to retire with little or nothing financial assistance from anyone.

If the injured player then claimed against the one who inflicted the injury in a court, the damages awarded would be into very big numbers.

Batth was reckless on winning the ball, so a straight red.

We then did not manage the game very well after our goal and allowed a very good Wolves team to snatch a late win. I hope everyone at City learns from that game and if so, we'll be a better side as a result.

Archived