IGNORED

Is Tuesday's game even bigger than Walsall in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final?

LondonBristolian

Or, to put my question a bit more seriously, where does this rank for you in terms of the biggest games you can remember Bristol City playing? I'm particularly interested to hear from older fans as my memories of City only go back to 1990 so I can't make a comparison with our last League Cup semi-final or anything before that.

For me, I think it is bigger than Liverpool or even Man Utd by virtue of it being a semi-final (not to mention against the best team in the country). I suppose rationally it's not as big a game as the play-off final due to the amount that was riding on that but I think I'm more excited than I was for that because I think, with a play-off final, you are just terrified about your entire season going up in smoke...

This is certainly up with the biggest with a Wembley final at stake (and this is no Mickey Mouse cup).  If we win the cup, we get to play in Europe next year. That's a pretty big deal for me and I'm sure it is for the entire squad too.

Financially, the benefits could be pretty big too.

I was at the Spurs semi final and the game at Coventry too.  Also the game that sealed our promotion to the top flight.

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

well it goes with Spurs, Forest.......... the only difference with this one is, we have NO ****** chance ! :cool:

Yeah but .....

Third time lucky, and , and we had little chance against Forest and Spurs were a good team, and both going to extra time. 
If they play the U16's we do have a real chance of taking it to extra time again :chant6ez:

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Yeah but .....

Third time lucky, and , and we had little chance against Forest and Spurs were a good team, and both going to extra time. 
If they play the U16's we do have a real chance of taking it to extra time again :chant6ez:

with the best will in the world.these are different gravy to the other teams we faced back then .

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Them or Leeds in 74 or the Liverpool side of 1st Division Days

Leeds is a good comparison as they were on a massive unbeaten run and the best team in England then , and Liverpool were a top, top side. But I would say now the difference between the top of the Prem and even 6th, 7th, 8th in the Prem let alone us lesser mortals is significantly bigger. Teams were still getting promoted to the top flight and winning the Title the next, and that just doesn't happen now. 
That said if the stars align and luck and the Ref falls our way ??????????

This cup is less Mickey mouse than the Fright Rover as the top clubs play (some of their first teamers)

Although i was a happy bunny beating Utd i will be most pleased to lose (narrowly) to City and get the league bandwagon up and running again with no other flashing lights in our way.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

with the best will in the world.these are different gravy to the other teams we faced back then .

Oh , I know it. 

Really looking forward to Tuesday, if we can hold them to 2-0 I'd be chuffed. So many things will have to go our way, but if we can somehow have the tie alive for the return it could be some night.

1 hour ago, john shaw number 1 said:

When you see the Forest team we played against, no one gave us a hope, 

ITV chiefs announced that first leg at Nottingham would be so one sided , it would not make good TV, so they showed the other semi instead.

I believe that game was all one way traffic and ended 3-0.

That Hull game at Wembley has given me nightmares for years. I stopped going down AG for a while as I was so p*ssed off! Just could not take anymore, whereas Man City is different as no one gives a chance so am OK if we lose. 

IMO, there is a bigger plan ahead for us - that I am sure off! If not this year, in next 3-5 years I firmly believe/hope!

16 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

It's huge; I tend to think two legs doesn't play into our hands though. The better team tends to prevail in such a format.

This is very true. In fact I’m trying to recall a big cup shock that’s occurred over two legs - league cup semis, play off semis, European knockout rounds. Nothing springs to mind.

Anyone think of any examples?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is very true. In fact I’m trying to recall a big cup shock that’s occurred over two legs - league cup semis, play off semis, European knockout rounds. Nothing springs to mind.

Anyone think of any examples?

Liverpool in every round before winning the Champions League a decade or so ago?

Archived