IGNORED

There is a problem

Dr Balls

1 hour ago, Psychopomp said:

I would have placed getting a right and left back along with a striker as priority over the two already signed, maybe that will happen . I do not see JB as a left back (that is a LJ conviction, I guess based on his pace), he is not up to it defensively, and both Magers and Wright are covering players for an injured first choice full back. We have a growing group of players that are not contributing to the match day squad or troubling the first team, O'Neil, Hegeler, Moore , Elliason  Taylor, Engval, Golborne ( now injured for rest of the season), and Pisano, Fama, O'dowda and Duric having had major injuries and needing recovery time . We have one forward up to this level available  and he is a coveted midfielder. Squad looks unbalanced . Very surprised that we signed two for midfield in that context, more so when one of them is on loan with a financial obligation to play when he is out of match practice and fitness. I hope we don't forget how we got to where we are this season by over thinking it again and getting too clever . Signing two midfield players would not have been easily understood by the team. Back to your point, and I am happy to proven wrong too, JB is not a LB. 

I think he may become a LB over time, but right now he isn't the finished article defensively.

We all rave about how good he is going forward, and his athleticism and goal scoring.

I can't remember anyone raving about his defensive duties.

He switches off and still has to think about his positioning. Constantly correcting himself. It's not ingrained like other defenders yet.

Yesterdays goal wasn't his fault...it was Kents imo. Too late picking up the runner. Which allowed the move that led to the goal.

However...in saying that, this is how LJ wants to play. With attacking full backs. Making us more open and expansive. We will score but also concede playing this way.

Yesterday it appears statistically that we dominated Norwich without scoring.

We wouldn't be talking about this if we had.

IMO, we look more solid at the back when it's 4 from either Pisano, Wright, Flint, Baker or Mags playing in defence.

11 minutes ago, robc said:

I agree with Psychopomp that the squad looks ever more unbalanced - how many central midfielders do we need? My biggest concern however is the consequence of this - the way LJ plays people out of position so he can fit them in the team. Josh Brownhill is far too good in the Centre to play out wide on the Right and playing Jamie Paterson out on the left yesterday was just plain bonkers. I think that LJ has worked wonders this season especially given all the injuries but Jamie P is, in my view, the best playmaker at the club. He's a real threat with a fluid role in the centre linking up with Bobby Reid. Playing him out wide leaves Reid isolated in the centre and requires Pato to take on defensive responsibilities as well, which seriously diminishes his scope to influence things going forward. For me this is deja vu - LJ did exactly the same thing with Lee Tomlin last season and he should not be repeating the error he made then, which did not end well. I fear that we will be meeting QPR in two weeks time on the back of 7 successive defeats and although I know it's not like last season it is really dispiriting given our pre-Christmas form.

Yesterday, he should have left Maggers at LB, Joe out on the wing, and Paterson where he was. In other words the team that did so well at Man City. The two new guys could have been introduced as subs, although there is little point playing an out and out winger unless we have someone who can head the ball up top. I fear he will want to play Walsh, Brownhill, Smith and Pack in the same team and I am very sceptical that that will work.

In fairness to Pato he’s played more games on the flanks than he has alongside Reid.

Its forgotten that early on in the season people were applauding his work rate in front of Joe Bryan, and Huw it was a bit part of our improvement from having Tomlin there.

I have enjoyed his recent games in the hole, but he’s been equally if not more effective playing wide.

245C97FC-8C28-4690-B748-DA549661B1A3.jpeg

16 hours ago, Malago said:

Diediou return to full training is imminent.  Duric is not far behind.  Our policy of signing young talent who can be improved is bearing fruit.  

In the words of Corporal Jones; Don't Panic

Although I'm glad they'll soon be back, based on what I've seen, I'm not convinced Diedhiou and Duric are the "knights in shining armour" some think they are.

We didn't just blast the opposition away when they were playing.

Apart from the last three league games (when the squad became over-stretched and knackered because of the extra Cup games), didn't we accumulate as many points without them as we did when they were playing?  I haven't bothered examining any stats to back this up.

Having said this, I hope Diedhoiu and Duric come back all guns blazing and prove me wrong.

21 hours ago, RedDave said:

One average game and Bryan goes from best left back in the league to not good enough.

Only on OTIB.  Join us next week when after Flint loses a header he is deemed too small to be a centre back

Bullshit.  People rightly point out individual players strengths and weaknesses and Bryan has always been pulled up for what I would deem 'awareness issues'.  When he is fully engaged in his role he is excellent.  The trouble is he basically zones out sometimes and there is nothing wrong with this being pointed out.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d start with the same starting eleven as for the Etihad too.  Make the new boys work for their place.

Agree completely.  It annoys me how some inexperienced kid gets picked instead of a proven, reliable team player who knows his role and his teammates.  It showed yesterday.  Can't believe Johnson is basically risking points to bed new players in immediately.  

Archived