IGNORED

Championship form

spudski

Just putting some worries to rest. ;-)

We have lost only 6 games all season.

Only Derby and Wolves better that.

We have taken 8 points from the last 7 games.

Villa 10 from 7.

Cardiff 6 from 7

Sheff Utd 6 from 7

We have a buffer of 5 points to 7th place.

3 points off 3rd, 5 points off 2nd.

Gave Wolves a fright and a game. Beat Man Utd, did better than most Prem teams at Man City, rested players against Villa and went for it after going behind, with a nothing to lose attitude. Rested players against Watford.

Dominated against Norwich and got caught with a sucker punch whilst playing two new players.

Get Derby and Man City out the way...and we'll be ok with new signings and players fresh and others coming back from injury.

You can pick and choose your statistics to suit. But it is undeniable that we have lost our last 3 league games and that is understandably giving some cause for concern. Set against the standards we have set this season, there’s no point pretending that isn’t a worry. Also, we didn’t rest anyone against Villa. We picked the strongest team we had available - but after 6 games in 16 days, that was part of the problem.

But - don’t get me wrong - it’s certainly not all doom and gloom and this doesn’t feel anything like last season’s poor run. Without question a play off place is very much within our capabilities this season, and we do indeed have returning players to bolster our squad.

Good post @spudski - (sorry run out of likes) 

Let’s be honest it has been a very frustrating few games - the defeats made worse by all coming in a row, rather than spread out over 10 games say.

Add to that the fact that for such a long run this season the team have spoiled us fans - we’ve not had to deal with many defeats - I think maybe some, IMO, are hitting the panic button far too early.

As I’ve said elsewhere, we’ve earned our right to be in the top 6 this season. It’s not luck. Trust in the system that got us there to keep us there.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You can pick and choose your statistics to suit. But it is undeniable that we have lost our last 3 league games and that is understandably giving some cause for concern. Set against the standards we have set this season, there’s no point pretending that isn’t a worry. Also, we didn’t rest anyone against Villa. We picked the strongest team we had available - but after 6 games in 16 days, that was part of the problem.

But - don’t get me wrong - it’s certainly not all doom and gloom and this doesn’t feel anything like last season’s poor run. Without question a play off place is very much within our capabilities this season, and we do indeed have returning players to bolster our squad.

The highlighted sentence is also a problem of course, we all hope that one or both of our strikers comes back and hits the ground running but that is probably highly unlikely and meanwhile another 6 to 8 league games will have gone into the record books, as I said on my thread, SL, MA and LJ really do have one hell of a decision to make as what to do for the best during this window, but the implications are immense especially for next season and whether 'our stars' stay or leave.

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

Villa 10 from 7.

Cardiff 6 from 7

Sheff Utd 6 from 7

Gave Wolves a fright and a game. Beat Man Utd, did better than most Prem teams at Man City, rested players against Villa and went for it after going behind, with a nothing to lose attitude. Rested players against Watford.

Dominated against Norwich and got caught with a sucker punch whilst playing two new players.

Get Derby and Man City out the way...and we'll be ok with new signings and players fresh and others coming back from injury.

Clear and accurate context . Thanks 

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Villa 10 from 7.

Cardiff 6 from 7

Sheff Utd 6 from 7

Good and realistic stats Spud. But if we lose to Derby and Man city, both quite possible, the doom and gloomers will say that's 7 on the trot we 've lost. If that happens, watch the knives come out. Sooner we get the whole squad fit and new signings bedded the better. We are still well in contention in this league. No panic here.

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Good and realistic stats Spud. But if we lose to Derby and Man city, both quite possible, the doom and gloomers will say that's 7 on the trot we 've lost. If that happens, watch the knives come out. Sooner we get the whole squad fit and new signings bedded the better. We are still well in contention in this league. No panic here.

Sorry I don't agree, because most normal fans will accept the huge progress that we have made and the fact that we have over achieved on the expectations of our fanbase, if there is to be any discontent it will be about the possible missed opportunity of this season and the fact that we have 3 back up strikers all not good enough to replace our 2 injured strikers and IMO that must be remedied.

I think you are imagining something that simply does not exist.

No panic here either.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Good post @spudski - (sorry run out of likes) 

Let’s be honest it has been a very frustrating few games - the defeats made worse by all coming in a row, rather than spread out over 10 games say.

Add to that the fact that for such a long run this season the team have spoiled us fans - we’ve not had to deal with many defeats - I think maybe some, IMO, are hitting the panic button far too early.

As I’ve said elsewhere, we’ve earned our right to be in the top 6 this season. It’s not luck. Trust in the system that got us there to keep us there.

So have I (good post, by the way).

Obviously Friday will be very tough but looking at it positively it must be the first time that we haven't played Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in ages.

I hope we go back to basics and assuming that we have no other options up top, go back to the side that did so well against Man City, so Maggers back in at LB, Bryan LM and Pato behind Reid.

If either Diedhiou or Djuric are fit enough to be on the bench then splendid, otherwise let's use Walsh and Kent from there as impact players if needed, plus hopefully a week's training should improve their understanding of their team mates and vice versa, too.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Villa 10 from 7.

Cardiff 6 from 7

Sheff Utd 6 from 7

Well said spudski . 

No more reactions left. @Tomarse or any other mods. How many reactions do we get and can you up the amount please ? 

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yep, it’s weird isn’t it, last season 5 defeats in a row was a disaster and now we’re realistically looking at 7 defeats in a row, but there’s is still an undeniable air of positivity around our club. It feels strange....

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Possession at 60%  shows we did .

They were however more direct than us and I thought it was a very even contest .

They had nearly all the chances easily could have been 2 down at HT. Not sur 60% is dominating especially as most of that was in our own half.

23 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

But apart from the goal and the shot cleared by Baker off of the line, Fielding never had a worthwhile save to make.

Did the Norwich keeper? Apart from Brownhills effort the rest were easy for him.

Archived