IGNORED

Flags

Super

The stats say it all.

- three people blinded by reckless flag-wavers

- nine people electrocuted by the static generated by the 20,000 flags

- People's Republic of Hotwells submit complaint about non eco-friendly materials and raise concerns about the potential affect on fish and wildlife in the Cumberland basin.

Could've created a similar spectacle by giving everyone a family-sized bag of crisps ... and we would've had something to eat.

Sorry but can someone please explain the whole superfans thing to me? 

If I stand in S24 does that automatically make me a so called superfan? Do people assume that I think I am somehow greater than everyone else because of where I choose to watch the match? Because I certainly do not, I go there to enjoy the atmosphere.

5 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

I was stood behind the aforementioned super fans and they were being nobbers for most of the night. 

@BCFCinNW6 could you possibly elaborate this statement? Apart from the incident towards the end of the match, I'm genuinely intrigued why you thought the superfans were being "nobbers for most of the night" in case there is something the rest of us are missing that could even improve the area and make it more appealing to others?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Sorry but can someone please explain the whole superfans thing to me? 

If I stand in S24 does that automatically make me a so called superfan? Do people assume that I think I am somehow greater than everyone else because of where I choose to watch the match? Because I certainly do not, I go there to enjoy the atmosphere.

@BCFCinNW6 could you possibly elaborate this statement? Apart from the incident towards the end of the match, I'm genuinely intrigued why you thought the superfans were being "nobbers for most of the night" in case there is something the rest of us are missing that could even improve the area and make it more appealing to others?

Thanks

Don’t expect an answer PhilC. Or, if you do get an answer, expect it to swerve any actual truth. 

There’s a number of people who for some reason (and I honestly can’t think of a genuine one), seem to despise those of us in that area. 

They are never going to be convinced otherwise. They can’t accept that some people like to watch football in a different way to themselves, yet it doesn’t impact on their day at all - they just like to hate. 

If I had to push myself really hard and try to think of a reason why, I’d probably say it’s either a loneliness thing, a jealousy thing, some sort of Freudian motherly bosom thing, a disappointment in the size of their manhood thing, or just that they are miserable gits who don’t like to see others having fun. 

Let the haters hate PhilC. They’re not for turning. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t expect an answer PhilC. Or, if you do get an answer, expect it to swerve any actual truth. 

There’s a number of people who for some reason (and I honestly can’t think of a genuine one), seem to despise those of us in that area. 

They are never going to be convinced otherwise. They can’t accept that some people like to watch football in a different way to themselves, yet it doesn’t impact on their day at all - they just like to hate. 

If I had to push myself really hard and try to think of a reason why, I’d probably say it’s either a loneliness thing, a jealousy thing, some sort of Freudian motherly bosom thing, a disappointment in the size of their manhood thing, or just that they are miserable gits who don’t like to see others having fun. 

Thanks @Harry

It does feel as though we are not liked by some, but I would like a little clarity. Yes there are some in the area who can be a bit over exuberant but I dislike being placed in the super fan category. I can deal with name calling, but I'm genuinly intrigued why @BCFCinNW6 thinks we are nobbers, and if that's the case every game, or if it was just last night?

11 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

There was a fully grown man stood in front of me who was waving three flags in unison (one stolen from a teenager to the right of him) whilst recording the stadium, shouting this is ****g immense, mental, how quality does that look, wow.  He was insistent on telling everyone within a 5 metre radius of his seat how mental it looked.

Mind you his was completely off his nut and was chewing his own jaw for the entire 90 minutes

Obviously a big Evander fan, there do seem to be a lot more of them at football recently.

8 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Funny you bring pissing up. With 20 minutes to go Toby leans past his sister and grabs my arm.

Dad, he says, I need a wee but don’t want to miss this.

Just kneel down son and wee behind that flag that someone has kindly tied to the barrier.

Sister says Dadddddd with a look of disgust.

Toby holds it in. :yes:

Lucky you didn't let him go. My young lad tried to go to toilet. We sit in front row and few people with legs up on barriers wouldn't lower them to let pass. People in row behind started shouting for him to get out of way so he returned to seat scared. I know it's a bit of a contentious issue and last year we sat on end of row when we could for this very issue. Personally it dosn't bother me if i have to swing my legs. Shame really but there you go. Some very odd people around the ground. Hopefully from Saturday things will return to normal.  

On a positive note as we walked from the ground past the away exit a Man City fan tapped me on the shoulder and said "See you next year. You deserve to be in the prem and Bristol City has been a great away day". Good to hear but these last two home cup games have been an eye opener to what it would be like in the Premier league. 

11 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

A few people asking about what is happening with the leftover flags

As a regular spectator at the NFL games in London, the same happens there - every seat has a free flag to wave. I usually take a handful of them home afterwards and use the plastic sticks for propping up my tomato seedlings. Recycling and keeping it green...:yes:

56 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Thanks @Harry

It does feel as though we are not liked by some, but I would like a little clarity. Yes there are some in the area who can be a bit over exuberant but I dislike being placed in the super fan category. I can deal with name calling, but I'm genuinly intrigued why @BCFCinNW6 thinks we are nobbers, and if that's the case every game, or if it was just last night?

My comment has been taken out of context here - I didn’t mean that all of S82 are nobbers, quite the opposite. 

I meant a specific group of lads in front of me who hid the ball for ages, with reference to Fatalist’s comment.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’m in S82 myself and I love every bit of it. How football in the stands should be on a match day! Bit of fun with your mates, have a few and a sing song. I personally don’t have any aggro from supporters in other stands or at least I haven’t heard any but I think everybody has a different way of enjoying their match day experience. Maybe they find it hard to understand that we love standing and making an atmosphere? 

Which probably is true. I don’t remember the last time I sat down at a game. Same goes for us.

I thought this thread was about about flags not super-fans?  No-one was forced to wave them and most chose to, surely that proves it was an innovative way of creating a special entrance for a few mins - I bet even the super-fans (if any exist) might agree if they watch it back on the highlights.

The kids in front of me certainly loved it and were singing along for the first time i can remember.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don't think many people hate what you do. I enjoy the atmospheres and appreciate the effort put into S82.

But I think there is a bit of an "us and them" attitude, and this sometimes gets perpetuated by some people within S82, bits such as what I have bolded won't go any way towards helping that.

I commented on a thread about not understanding the adding of "you c*nts" to the end of the line of half the songs used, but while generally appreciating S82, I did leave one game annoyed at the singing area (may have been a bit before "S82" was officially formed. It was a game our first season up, and the "you're not signing over there" complete with "you c*nts" was directed at our own fans.

Things like that are going to add to the perceived view of S82/the singers seeing themselves as superfans.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't think many people hate what you do. I enjoy the atmospheres and appreciate the effort put into S82.

But I think there is a bit of an "us and them" attitude, and this sometimes gets perpetuated by some people within S82, bits such as what I have bolded won't go any way towards helping that.

I commented on a thread about not understanding the adding of "you c*nts" to the end of the line of half the songs used, but while generally appreciating S82, I did leave one game annoyed at the singing area (may have been a bit before "S82" was officially formed. It was a game our first season up, and the "you're not signing over there" complete with "you c*nts" was directed at our own fans.

Things like that are going to add to the perceived view of S82/the singers seeing themselves as superfans.

Sorry, I don’t see where an “us and them” attitude derives. 

The incident you mention was from 2 seasons ago, and was quite obviously meant in a light-hearted manner, and not one of superiority. 

Can’t see any other reasons why some think there is an us and them attitude. Truth be told, we want to be left alone to watch football in the way we want to, but the levels of hoops and hurdles to do so may get more airtime in order to push for success. Perhaps because there is more airtime to our cause you feel we have a selfish or dominant attitude? 

Simply not the case though. We just want to watch football in as close a way as possible (given modern day rules) to how we used to. I don’t know why so many who are happy with their own matchday experience feel it necessary to criticise how someone else wants to enjoy theirs. 

27 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

My comment has been taken out of context here - I didn’t mean that all of S82 are nobbers, quite the opposite. 

I meant a specific group of lads in front of me who hid the ball for ages, with reference to Fatalist’s comment.

Thanks for clarifying. Not taken out of context, just mis-understood I think.

There does seem to be some negativity towards S82, and as I said there are a few in there who can be a little challenging at times, but don't want to be tarnished with the same brush!

2 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Thanks for clarifying. Not taken out of context, just mis-understood I think.

There does seem to be some negativity towards S82, and as I said there are a few in there who can be a little challenging at times, but don't want to be tarnished with the same brush!

If I had my way ALL of Ashton Gate would be like S82.. standing, singing and giving the opposition hell.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was a time, the season McInnes kept us up, Leicester at home. Pretty sure in that relegation scrap, we booed opposition when they were in possession...made it a bit of a siege mentality.

Where has that gone?? Or games where under the cosh, the noise has actually INCREASED.

Remember that, imo we've always been a club that rise to things when under a cosh, the siege mentality like you say. 

That game, 82 and the plummet through the leagues, Terry Cooper and the rise back up, the League cup antics against Forest, Leeds, even Man United.

We're always at our best when it's BCFC vs the world. Away games should not be comfortable places for the opposition to come and play, and I won't have Ashton Gate turning in to another sanitised, caution wet floor, laminate nightmare. S82 goes a long way in my view to stopping it becoming the dystopian vision I thought it was becoming.

Archived