IGNORED

Bob Bob Super Bob

BigAl&Toby

Let's remember that we are all allowed an opinion and BBSB is no exception. Him and I have often had conflicting thoughts on various issues. That is life and what makes this forum what it is. We've all lost our rag from time to time but get over it and move on. I hope he returns soon for whatever reason he has gone missing.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Let's remember that we are all allowed an opinion and BBSB is no exception. Him and I have often had conflicting thoughts on various issues. That is life and what makes this forum what it is. We've all lost our rag from time to time but get over it and move on. I hope he returns soon for whatever reason he has gone missing.

At the end of the day.....It's only words.

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

In the end it made me feel pretty shitty and i almost got to the point of not wanting to come on here so I attempted to PM him and tell him how he was making me feel. I appreciate that people say he's a nice genuine guy and I honestly believe that to be true. But the replies I got to my PM were astounding and forced me to put him on ignore.

I think what people need to remember is behind all these posts there is a real person with real feelings. Whilst it's great to debate there should always be a line that should not be crossed and posters should always retain a great respect for each other.

Bob if your reading this (and I don't mean to sound patronising) this forum will be poorer without your contribution. I just wish you was able to reign the personal attacks in.

Unfortunately, and I write from experience, some posts are often written in haste, without reflection on what is actually being said and far less as to how the post might be received.

As an example, pedant as I am, I might have commented on your use of the word 'reign' instead of 'rein', or even splitting the verb 'to rein in', but luckily for all concerned I refreigned from doing so :whistle:.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, and I write from experience, some posts are often written in haste, without reflection on what is actually being said and far less as to how the post might be received.

As an example, pedant as I am, I might have commented on your use of the word 'reign' instead of 'rein', or even splitting the verb 'to rein in', but luckily for all concerned I refreigned from doing so :whistle:.

Phil. Let's not derail another thread and turn it into a grammatical thesis. I don't think Bob would appreciate that happening to his obituary.

For my two pence he was (is?) a great poster and the forum is poorer without him.  However, he was literally asking people for a confrontation, and so I can see the rational behind putting him on the naughty step for a few days.

I like BBSB. He is a good poster with interesting insights in to some things.

If he was harassing/threatening posters then that is at least suspension worthy. No two ways about it. 

It's just words on a screen but once it becomes personal attacks then there's obviously a problem there. Obviously neither I nor anyone else knows the extent of these attacks (personally if it was just offering people out then I don't think thats all that bad), but hopefully BBSB will be back on here once he's served his ban.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Phil. Let's not derail another thread and turn it into a grammatical thesis. I don't think Bob would appreciate that happening to his obituary.

For my two pence he was (is?) a great poster and the forum is poorer without him.  However, he was literally asking people for a confrontation, and so I can see the rational behind putting him on the naughty step for a few days.

From my experience, Bob certainly doesn’t appreciate facetious wordplay jokes in amongst worthier analytical essays, whether in his obituary or otherwise!

17 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Even now I rarely come on here after a defeat as it can be toxic.

Easier if you just stay away on match day, rarely come on here nowadays

FWIW, I've shared a couple of PMs with Bob, top guy. Agree with a lot of what he says. Didn't see anything with him offering a few chin tests, but if he's picked up a ban because of that then a few days out of here sounds the best option. I'm sure Bob will be back when he's ready

10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

This season however I saw he had mellowed so unignored him and not had any issues since. In fact he's been quite nice to me.

In my experience of the forum it's often been the case that posters you originally clash with go on to become the posters you get on with best.

I can think of at least 4 posters, including BBSB, who I have disagreed with very strongly on certain issues at one time or another but who are now posters whose posts I particularly look out for, and who I agree with on most matters.

Oddly enough, once the disagreement was thrashed out there was mutual respect, and even genuine affability, and they have become amongst my favourite contributors.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree with all your points, but just couldn't resist my earlier post :shutup:.

Returning to BBSB, his (hopefully temporary) absence is indeed unfortunate for, as you say, his posts were for the most part both interesting and informative.

Whilst I do not understand, nor condone, attacks on other posters, and most certainly I consider attacks via PM abhorrent, by the same token I don't see why posters cannot just ignore such posts or, as @Up The City! himself (or did I read somewhere that this should be herself?) did, simply put the poster on ignore.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In my experience of the forum it's often been the case that posters you originally clash with go on to become the posters you get on with best.

I can think of at least 4 posters, including BBSB, who I have disagreed with very strongly on certain issues at one time or another but who are now posters whose posts I particularly look out for, and who I agree with on most matters.

Oddly enough, once the disagreement was thrashed out there was mutual respect, and even genuine affability, and they have become amongst my favourite contributors.

Like I said in my first post on here, me and BBSB butted heads on here often last season, yet 2 weeks ago we went up to the Etihad together and were talking to each other about City for about 75% of the journey, there and back.

OK, for the record I have known Bob through the football (off and on) for many years. Been away with him and home on many occasions. Yes, he is very passionate about the club and wants what we all do - success. 

He also knows his football very well - trust me! Sometimes he knows his football too well (IMO) which I can understand him challenging/debating alternative views when others also have strong views. Sometimes words get misinterpreted and we are all guilty of that at times in life. Me included. Hopefully  the naughty step sentence will be served and he will be back? 

OTIB needs him as he has driven a lot of good debate on this forum. Come back Bob!

If anyone disagrees with me,  then meet me round the back of the BS3 tomorrow at 2.30pm!! (:laugh:).

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just not Robbored 

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure the thread is ridiculous, per se, although I do agree it is somewhat strange that some appear to be condoning (or even disagreeing with) BBSB's ban, if indeed he is banned, without, presumably, being aware of the full facts.

On a similar note, I have often wondered what happened to the poster whose avatar was a man in a white dinner jacket (Red something, from memory) and the poster who insisted on discussing recipes for gravy: were they actually banned or are they still posting on here under different names? 

The Right Honorable Les Q. Legend.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It got very heated on both sides of the LJ debate, most as far as I can remember gave as good as they got. Certainly the jibes were not all one way.

The majority were not willing to take another relegation - particularly perhaps those of us who had seen many before - and even many of those who had vehemently supported LJ were eventually publicly saying they could no longer do so - notably after PNE  away iirc.

The near miraculous end of season recovery and what's happened since will have surprised and delighted every City fan in equal measure. The events of last season are water under the bridge, and should be seen that way, and most posters do not harbour personal grudges from what was a difficult and divisive time for the fanbase as a whole, not surprisingly reflected passionately on here.

I'm sure some posters ( on both sides) found OTIB an unenjoyable place to visit at the time but I wasn't aware some posters were upset enough to quit OTIB permanently -  can you give a few names?

Do you know what Nogbad, I wasn't trying to make a point about opinions. It has nothing to do with LJ ultimately. Pro-LJ/anti-LJ - we've all been right or wrong. It doesn't matter. As you say water under the bridge.

My point was, regardless of which side your bread is buttered on any matter, that certain vociferous critics went too far, got personal, threatening and treated other posters in a way they'd probably never dare to their faces. You've said to me before, and again mention it above, I give as good as I get, I know i've overreacted at times, but I only do it in my defence or to stand up to this kind posting. 

I can't give names of people who quit OTIB permanently, but I suspect there were a few, we will never know. One thing I can say though is I know of people who either took a break from the forum or would rather read it as a guest than post, because of posters like these.

It's sad because I don't doubt that as you say, we probably all would get on with our common love and passion for City, but that's easy to forget I guess in the heat of the moment over the internet.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Think you’re right to a large extent.

Sometimes I’ve used the ‘ignore’ option for a while, because I’ve felt myself getting a bit wound up my posts, and not been able to have a sensible debate about it.

Sometimes I've dropped a quick DM to someone, not to be confrontational, more to understand why they have the angle they have.  You can then understand why they post the way they do.

You end up having a bit more respect for them, and it sometimes challenges the way you think and therefore post. 

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

From my experience, Bob certainly doesn’t appreciate facetious wordplay jokes in amongst worthier analytical essays, whether in his obituary or otherwise!

Each to there own, I suppose.

Whilst I detest the awful (in my opinion) repeated fish (or similar) puns that appear on threads occasionally, I quite like the 'wordplays'.

I do appreciate, however, that it can be frustrating when, for whatever reason, a thread gets derailed. 

I think Taxi for Rennie/Johnson made a post on the Oasis thread after a hiatus.

On a general note, it's quite interesting of course how the Internet just frees people up to say anything and everything. There are probably better sites than this of course, but I'm in a high traffic area, desk at an angle in an open plan office so needs must! :shutup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

While we're talking about bans, where has Taxi for Rennie/Johnson gone?

Same with Thatch who appears to be stuck in OTIB purgatory where he can only react to posts.

He gave me three or four ‘rubbish’ reactions in the space of about 5 minutes a few days ago so good to see he’s still amongst us in spirit form or something.

16 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

OK, for the record I have known Bob through the football (off and on) for many years. Been away with him and home on many occasions. Yes, he is very passionate about the club and wants we all do - success. 

He also knows his football very well - trust me! Sometimes he knows his football too well (IMO) which I can understand him challenging/debating alternative views when others also have strong views. Sometimes words get misinterpreted and we are all guilty of that at times in life. Me included. Hopefully  the naughty step sentence will be served and he will be back? 

OTIB needs him as he has driven a lot of good debate on this forum. Come back Bob!

If anyone disagrees with me,  then meet me round the back of the BS3 tomorrow at 2.30pm!! (:laugh:).

Just for clarity where is the back of BS3 is it south, Dolman or Lansdown? :boxing:

I've butted heads with a few on here and I know some of my posts have been 'binned' as soon as I click send... (queue more bins!!!!)

But opinions are like assholes. We all have one. And they're all different. Some hairy, some smelly, erm... I digress.

I've only ever put one user on ignore and that was after I reported some homophobic language that I couldn't standby and let pass freely. This poster had also displayed other derogratory language regarding other issues, on which we had debated but the homophobia was a step too far for me.

At the end of the day, free speech is fine but there's no need to take it to derogatory levels. 

As for BBSB, I've never seen anything that warranted me to hover over the ignore button. I quite like Bob. So whatever has gone on, I hope he returns soon. 

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Do you know what Nogbad, I wasn't trying to make a point about opinions. It has nothing to do with LJ ultimately. Pro-LJ/anti-LJ - we've all been right or wrong. It doesn't matter. As you say water under the bridge.

My point was, regardless of which side your bread is buttered on any matter, that certain vociferous critics went too far, got personal, threatening and treated other posters in a way they'd probably never dare to their faces. You've said to me before, and again mention it above, I give as good as I get, I know i've overreacted at times, but I only do it in my defence or to stand up to this kind posting. 

I can't give names of people who quit OTIB permanently, but I suspect there were a few, we will never know. One thing I can say though is I know of people who either took a break from the forum or would rather read it as a guest than post, because of posters like these.

It's sad because I don't doubt that as you say, we probably all would get on with our common love and passion for City, but that's easy to forget I guess in the heat of the moment over the internet.

And that was kind of the point I have tried to make on this thread and the one that the mods deemed fit to simply delete - not lock, delete.

We all make mistakes and get things wrong. What’s a shame though is that although the rules are published and available for all to read they’re not consistently applied.

And when they’re then interpreted by hard and over worked volunteers a price then has to be paid.

I was lucky as although I asked perhaps awkward questions that lead to a suspension I was then allowed back in the fold.

I’m guessing that many haven’t - presumably for far worse misdemeanours.

As has been pointed out very few of us know what happens to those who we might have found entertaining or informative in the past but how I long to read a post from the likes of Malone, Faustus, Kew and Bob......

Archived