IGNORED

Which of our players would be in the best XI over the two legs?

LondonBristolian

If someone knew nothing of Man City or Bristol City but picked the best team from the two clubs based wholly on what they saw across the two legs, how many of our players do you think would be included?

For me, Bryan outshone Zivchenko at left back and I think one of our keepers - probably Fielding, although Steele made at least one great save. Anyone else? Baker or Flint maybe? Perhaps both?

I’ll suggest a combined XI, in a 4-5-1 formation 

Bravo

Walker - Otamendi - Flint - Bryan

Sane - De Bruyne - Silva - Pack - Brownhill

Aguero

Possibly being slightly generous to Bristol City but I think it’s hard to argue for Stones or Mangala at CB, and as you say I think Bryan shades Zinchenko. B. Silva was poor I thought. I’ve also included all goalscorers except for Reid - and there’d be a fair argument to include him for Brownhill. I just thought that overall Brownhill was excellent last night.

8 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I think Brownhill should be somewhere in there. Let’s not forget he was responsible for our only goal in the first leg and absolutely ran his socks off for the entire 180+ minutes.

Agree, I actually think he has grown into the right midfield role he's been playing.  I debated whether to include him or Fernandinho.  As Brownhill was great over 180 minutes and Fernandinho only over 90, I went for Brownhill.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree, I actually think he has grown into the right midfield role he's been playing.  I debated whether to include him or Fernandinho.  As Brownhill was great over 180 minutes and Fernandinho only over 90, I went for Brownhill.

The right choice imo

11 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Brownhill looked totally comfortable around some of the best players in Europe. He's a premier league player in waiting.

His run in the first half was immense. Him and Bryan both looked more than ready to handle Premier league opposition. Some players maybe raised their game but those two looked like that was their level...

17 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Brownhill looked totally comfortable around some of the best players in Europe. He's a premier league player in waiting.

Totally agree. Thought he showed patches of his potential last season but he has really grown this year. Naturally skilful, he has added some real grit and strength to his game. Premiership, and better than that La Liga quality without doubt. 

Bryan and Reid can make it at the next level too. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Fernandinho......that guy is a machine!! Nothing fancy, job done every single time without fuss. Manager’s dream of a CDM.

Yep, just cleaned up all those loose balls and snuffed out our attacks before they got going. Tenacity and talent is a dangerous combination.

7 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Rose tinted delusions

Pep wouldn't want any of our players in the real world

If we overhype our players we risk disappointment.

Let's just wait and see how this season plays out first

It's just based off this one game. Certainly think Flint had a better game than Stones, and Bryan did better than Zinchenko at left back.

If we're talking about sustained performances though, can't imagine he'd swap any of them.

7 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Rose tinted delusions

Pep wouldn't want any of our players in the real world

If we overhype our players we risk disappointment.

Let's just wait and see how this season plays out first

Just talking about both the games we all know not one of our players would make the man city team!

34 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's just based off this one game. Certainly think Flint had a better game than Stones, and Bryan did better than Zinchenko at left back.

If we're talking about sustained performances though, can't imagine he'd swap any of them.

Precisely this and what @Super said.

I certainly didn't start the thread meaning to imply any of our players would get into the Man City team on a regular basis. It was merely about who stood out more over two legs. And I think, over two legs, there are three or four players you could make a case for as playing better than their Man City counterparts. 

It's ridiculous to argue that any of our midfielders can be in there due to the status of their 3 CMs in the 2nd leg.  All 3 are stellar world class players.  Flinty gets in there . SImilarly Bryan over Xinchenko though looking at it that was possibly the weakest position overall..  Sterling was good in the first leg.

Archived