IGNORED

Tubby T to Forest

The Original OTIB

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh but at least it was a cider ice lolly! Whatever happened to them! Are they still around?!

He he.

Tarrs down Sandy Park - are they still there?  I’m north of the river these days, use to live within 100 yards of Tarrs.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They all fail to live the right lifestyle.

I know we're wildly agreeing and I can only endorse everything you said (the Back2Action piece has fascinated me in the context of Bobby Reid's remarkable change) but I still think there's a slight nuance here: that we shouldn't look at these people as failing to live the right lifestyle or "wasting it", anymore than we'd turn our noses up at regular people who decide to do one thing with their working lives when they have the potential to do so much more. 

It's this idea that these people have failed or wasted something - if they're happy and have no regrets then no one has failed. I can think of lots of people who have made decisions for the overall good of their quality of life and family, over the potential success they could have achieved by being single minded about their jobs or business. In fact MOST people do so. I just think now that perhaps some footballers lifestyles are a choice they're very happy with.

"Continuous effort ..... is the key to unlocking our potential." W. Churchill.

Some very talented sorts give up - or, start shagging the nanny, filling blokes in on a night out and commuting for hours to work, for example -  when their talent is no longer enough and what is needed is effort (hard work, dedication, professionalism and so on). It can come as a rude surprise to find that their special talent has found it's limit.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I know we're wildly agreeing and I can only endorse everything you said (the Back2Action piece has fascinated me in the context of Bobby Reid's remarkable change) but I still think there's a slight nuance here: that we shouldn't look at these people as failing to live the right lifestyle or "wasting it", anymore than we'd turn our noses up at regular people who decide to do one thing with their working lives when they have the potential to do so much more. 

It's this idea that these people have failed or wasted something - if they're happy and have no regrets then no one has failed. I can think of lots of people who have made decisions for the overall good of their quality of life and family, over the potential success they could have achieved by being single minded about their jobs or business. In fact MOST people do so. I just think now that perhaps some footballers lifestyles are a choice they're very happy with.

Actually that's a very interesting perspective, I guess the assumption is that every single player should have a desire to be the best in the world. Perhaps JET is content with earning a decent salary, clubbing with his mates and supporting Anthony Yarde in boxing BUT not playing playing to maximum capacity?

I think the caveat is the talent argument. These guys are in the top 99.9% of people to kick a ball in this country, they're earning wages young guys in their 20s can usually only dream of and as a result everyone assumes they should want to make the most of their abilities.

I think for me, the players I highlighted are ones I particularly enjoy watching and would love to see them make the most of their talents. I think I have a liking for flawed geniuses which may also explain why Tyson Fury is comfortably my favourite boxer!

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, I totally agree.

What's the recurring theme with these mecurial players (Noble, JET, Tomlin, Ravel)? They all fail to live the right lifestyle. Whether it's enjoying a drink too much or staying on the straight and narrow all of the aforementioned have their demons or vices.

Look at Yannick Bolasie, a good player in his own right anyway but made sacrifices to get an edge. It suddenly clicked for him and he became obsessive about analysis, functional strength and recovery. He worked with Back2Action here in Bristol - link 1, link 2, link 3 - (who, encouragingly, are the fitness company Bobby Reid also works with). They helped Yannick rehabilitate from an injury whilst here and then moved onto working on all the extra '5%' aspects required to make it at the top.

There are plenty of players in the Prem who aren't even necessarily that talented relatively speaking. Gary Neville always admitted he was the least talented of the 'class of 92' but ensured he kept pace by working obsessively. 

Even Beckham was pretty obsessive - frequently staying behind after training to work on incremental details such as free kick over and over again. Can you imagine David Noble doing that instead of going out for a Peroni on the waterfront with Richard Keogh?

It's so frustrating, particularly for people like Ravel, because he genuinely had all the ability you could want. He was born with a gift that 99.999% of people could only dream of.. and he's wasting it.

Talent is one thing, the mindset to make the most of that talent is another.

This is a super post.

Yet some still worship Jackie, an absolute waster with minimal application.

By the way, it was really nice to see the bloke we sold to fund himself signing (who went on to score over 100 goals for WBA) back in BS3 last week..

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is a super post.

Yet some still worship Jackie, an absolute waster with minimal application.

By the way, it was really nice to see the bloke we sold to fund himself signing (who went on to score over 100 goals for WBA) back in BS3 last week..

We had to enjoy something in that dismal period, and Glenn Pennyfather was not it. Nor Ian Baird. Nor.......The crowds dropped by about 3k when he left. And another thing (I can't believe we are back to this again :facepalm:....can you not just change your mind on Jackie? Nothing else. Just this. Please?)

1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

Definitely there and still selling cider lollies. 

Ive got some in my freezer just chilling out.

Tarr's ice-cream in my day was made in Brislington. Their son is a City fan. He hired a transit van for the Bolton Freight Rover final. A great day out but curiously no ice-creams or ice-lollies were available in the transit!

50 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We're probably going to lose out as part of Tomos transfer fee linked to appearances probably why Colin's not played him

If he's out on loan and plays is that not counted as an appearance ?  Not sure myself TBH.

The fact that Tomlin has failed to apply himself in his last three jobs (clubs) says to me that he's overpaid.

I understand that it's a choice for him.  But it's a scandal that he is still able to take so much money and give so little.

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

No it will be appearances for Cardiff I think so they'll probably cut their losses and ship him out

But he's still a Cardiff player so if they loan him out it should make no difference in my mind.  Again, really not sure how the system works so a difficult point to argue.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the caveat is the talent argument. These guys are in the top 99.9% of people to kick a ball in this country, they're earning wages young guys in their 20s can usually only dream of and as a result everyone assumes they should want to make the most of their abilities.

But that assumes everyone sees success as an endless quest. Or more specifically, everyone feels they need to make good the value their talent can earn them.

What if a League One salary and adulation is more than enough to keep some players happy? What if even meagre success is a massive enough step for them.

If we assume footballers would want to make the most of their own abilities, why don't we assume ourselves and our peers should make the most of our work?

Plenty will reach a salary/life they're content with, even though they could go further with hard work or relocation. Perhaps JET has enough money to be happy.

(Think we're still agreeing, I'm just labouring this parallel as a justification for some players to not make any more of their careers...)

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Picturing it now. Last away game of the season. And we need 3 points to get promoted. 1 up in the last minute. Forest get free kick 25 yards out . Up steps Tomlin. What happens next?

He boots it towards the moon and City fans celebrate.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Picturing it now. Last away game of the season. And we need 3 points to get promoted. 1 up in the last minute. Forest get free kick 25 yards out . Up steps Tomlin. What happens next?

He finishes eating his Pie and the ref blows the whistle and books him for wasting time and then he sky's it, city fans celebrate with a chorus of cheer up tubby T....

Just looked at forests website, as well as fatboy, they have also sign geurdiola, and colback, who are 2 top championship midfielders on their day. Liam welsh might one day be a top championship midfielder, but either of these 2 might have given us more of a boost right now? 

11 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Just looked at forests website, as well as fatboy, they have also sign geurdiola, and colback, who are 2 top championship midfielders on their day. Liam welsh might one day be a top championship midfielder, but either of these 2 might have given us more of a boost right now? 

Colback is bang average, just ask Newcastle fans - wouldn't want him here. Guiediora has been a decent player but hasn't played much football recently, and I think his best days are behind him. 

I don't feel we've missed out on either of these. In fact, all of the many players Forest signed are pretty underwhelming.

18 hours ago, Olé said:

But that assumes everyone sees success as an endless quest. Or more specifically, everyone feels they need to make good the value their talent can earn them.

What if a League One salary and adulation is more than enough to keep some players happy? What if even meagre success is a massive enough step for them.

If we assume footballers would want to make the most of their own abilities, why don't we assume ourselves and our peers should make the most of our work?

Plenty will reach a salary/life they're content with, even though they could go further with hard work or relocation. Perhaps JET has enough money to be happy.

(Think we're still agreeing, I'm just labouring this parallel as a justification for some players to not make any more of their careers...)

Good points, we are definitely in agreement and that’s broadly what I was saying really but in better depth. Interesting discussion! 

I’ll always remember that JET goal vs Rovers, I think I was in E block of the Dolman which was probably the perfect position to appreciate the strike. 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good points, we are definitely in agreement and that’s broadly what I was saying really but in better depth. Interesting discussion! 

I’ll always remember that JET goal vs Rovers, I think I was in E block of the Dolman which was probably the perfect position to appreciate the strike. 

Was there ever a player more laid back and confident than JET.

You would always back him to score when he had a chance .

It's a shame that he hasn't graced the history of football . He could have been one of the very best. 

Archived