IGNORED

Riyad Mahrez

BS4 on Tour...

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it also partly comes down to background. 

Look at the number of Brazilian players like Hulk and Ramires (who are both top players) happy to spend some of their best years in China. For footballers who’s background is genuine poverty, money will supersede legacy.

I’m unsure of Mahrez’ specific background but being French-Algerian it’s not unrealistic to suggest he comes from pretty humble beginnings. That extra 100k per week would make a huge difference to his extended family and I can see why it would be tempting.

Jonathan Kodjia was similar actually, he appears to provide for his extended French-Ivorian family and comes from a poor suburb of Paris.

I think for footballers from more affluent backgrounds, legacy and relative success will be a bigger motivation because they can afford for it to be. Perhaps those from poor backgrounds will always chase the money as there is many people depending on them to provide.

There are Agents in Africa and South America, actively looking for these types of players. Knowing that they will follow the golden carrot.

Which leads me to ask....how many of these types of players play in the Prem?

And would us as City fans want them here?

Is it a fact that we would need such types to compete if we went up?

Would the Club change it's policy about 'DNA'?

If MA and LJ left, would we be able to find another Coaching/Management team that would work this way?

It's food for thought about how things change quickly in football.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Couldn't care less about the semantics, point was its a horrible thing and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Semantics ? Thought the point was to raise awareness about the stigmas surrounding mental health and resilience. Depression isn't something one catches, one doesn't risk getting it from associating with those who suffer the condition. It isn't a disease and shouldn't be referred to as such. Had you not bothered to rate and highlight the comment then the error would have been corrected. As is, you choose to make a thing of it which itself is positive given it promotes the message I think we are both keen to get across.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I totally disagree...It shows a lack of desire by a player. What it does show is that they will follow the money. And can put on their 'CV' that they played for a big club.

If you want to start most games...and play for one of the top 6 teams, then that's only 66 starting places. Which gets even smaller depending on what position you play.

Great...'I play for Chelsea....but spend many a game as a squad player or sat on the bench'.

The only way other Clubs will get nearer the top 6 is if players stick with their clubs and build together.

And the gap is getting smaller each year...not with Man City this season, but Burnley have only lost 2 more games than Arsenal. Not bad going considering.

You may call it 'Romantic'...I call it sensible.

Unfortunately some footballers live in a bubble, with a misguided perception, driven by agents.

It's the agents driving the moves, to get the big percentages. Plenty of money to go round in the Prem...some are just plain greedy.

May be it is the player's desire to win trophies that made him want a move to Man City ? 

Does anyone believe  that he'd have more chance of honours at Leicester ? 

I can imagine it was very disruptive for the lad to think he was going then find out he wasn't.

Who's head wouldn't be scrambled by all that ? 

I would suspect that his agent didn't his job as well as he could have. 

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

May be it is the player's desire to win trophies that made him want a move to Man City ? 

Does anyone believe  that he'd have more chance of honours at Leicester ? 

I can imagine it was very disruptive for the lad to think he was going then find out he wasn't.

Who's head wouldn't be scrambled by all that ? 

I would suspect that his agent didn't his job as well as he could have. 

A player thinking he was going too  another club for better money and left disappointed because his current club wouldn't accept the buying club's best offer.

Isn't that just what happened to Flint last summer, but he didn't go off and sulk, even though he lost his place when his situation remained ' uncertain', but has knuckled down and enjoyed probably his best spell with us. 

At the moment Mahrez is probably making Pep think he's dodged a bullet, as RM's actions are as unprofessional as they could be and I doubt he would want a player like that in the man City dressing room. 

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Semantics ? Thought the point was to raise awareness about the stigmas surrounding mental health and resilience. Depression isn't something one catches, one doesn't risk getting it from associating with those who suffer the condition. It isn't a disease and shouldn't be referred to as such. Had you not bothered to rate and highlight the comment then the error would have been corrected. As is, you choose to make a thing of it which itself is positive given it promotes the message I think we are both keen to get across.

Don't think it could ever be taken from the comment I made earlier in the thread that you can catch depression from someone, what an odd thing to say.

Regardless, as you say, there is an obvious and glaring issue with how mental health is viewed in the west.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

A player thinking he was going too  another club for better money and left disappointed because his current club wouldn't accept the buying club's best offer.

Isn't that just what happened to Flint last summer, but he didn't go off and sulk, even though he lost his place when his situation remained ' uncertain', but has knuckled down and enjoyed probably his best spell with us. 

At the moment Mahrez is probably making Pep think he's dodged a bullet, as RM's actions are as unprofessional as they could be and I doubt he would want a player like that in the man City dressing room. 

He was , however , left out of the team for a while as his head was not quite right .How do you know RM won't knuckle down now ? 

I'm a long way off defending Mahrez but just thought it worth considering the situation from another angle. 

Nothing is completely black or white , although Pandas look like they might be .

Archived