IGNORED

Riyad Mahrez

BS4 on Tour...

He’s apparently missed two training sessions whilst sulking because he wasn’t sold to Man City in January.....he’s also apparently told the club the whole ‘ordeal’ has made him ‘depressed.’

I think that’s an insult to people who are completely taken down by depression. If, however, Mahrez has been diagnosed with clinical depression then I apologise. I’ve seen first hand what a crippling disease it really is.

Mahrez signed a four year contract at Leicester not long ago so how dare he effectively go on strike because Leicester had the temerity to turn down a bid that was way below his market value?

He’s in breach of his contract and I know Leicester will probably not take any action - but why shouldn’t they? Mahrez’s teammates are apparently livid at his current attitude and it’s causing trouble in the ranks.

Leicester obviously didn’t check out his ‘DNA’ before signing him!

And whilst I don’t condone his sulking - he signed his contact after all - allegedly it’s the fourth consecutive window that they’ve told him they’ll let him leave...so I can almost understand why he’s a bit aggrieved that they’re turning down 60m+ plus a player for him.

Surely that’s a very, very, good deal for Leicester in exchange for an unhappy player who isn’t interested in the team. 

When Man C are balking at the price you have to ask questions about the reasonableness of Leicester’s expectations! 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And whilst I don’t condone his sulking - he signed his contact after all - allegedly it’s the fourth consecutive window that they’ve told him they’ll let him leave...so I can almost understand why he’s a bit aggrieved that they’re turning down 60m+ plus a player for him.

Surely that’s a very, very, good deal for Leicester in exchange for an unhappy player who isn’t interested in the team. 

When Man C are balking at the price you have to ask questions about the reasonableness of Leicester’s expectations! 

You’re right, one good season and Leicester thinking he’s messi or someone. I’d be rightly pissed off if they told me I could leave but every time pricing said move out of reach. This guy needs to have played for about 4-5 years at the top level to be worth 100 big ones!

£60m + Mangala = £60m :P

Serioudly though, if Leicester have said we value you at £90-100m, then Mahrez’s agent should be working harder with Man City to communicate what Leicester’s price is.  By all means bid £60m and test the water, but don’t get annoyed when it’s not accepted.  In fairness to City they stopped at their valuation, and it fell short of Leicester’s.  Not dissimilar to Flint, apart from Flint hasn’t sulked.

Its good to see Man City stop at their valuation and Leicester dig in on theirs, a little bit of taking control back from player-power.

Mahrez can continue to sulk, but he’ll probably miss Saturday and then fall back in line...like he did in the summer.

When Leicester won the title I expected the squad to break up, but only Kante has gone so far...big loss though!

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Man City have got a cheek when they're willing to pay £50 million + for some bloke from Bilbao who's never done anything in the game.  Mahrez has won the EPL and player of the year.  He's 26, plays in a midfield 4 for a decent EPL side scoring 1 goal every 3 games.  No one in the Prem gets near that really except for de Bruyne, Hazard, Silva. 

If Coutinho is worth £140 million then Mahrez is worth at least £100 million. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

To be fair if we could sign someone with the wrong DNA who would help us win the Premier League at odds of 5000-1, I might be tempted to let it slide just this once.

Vardy's "DNA" might not fit either.

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Man City have got a cheek when they're willing to pay £50 million + for some bloke from Bilbao who's never done anything in the game.  Mahrez has won the EPL and player of the year.  He's 26, plays in a midfield 4 for a decent EPL side scoring 1 goal every 3 games.  No one in the Prem gets near that really except for de Bruyne, Hazard, Silva. 

That's a case of Man City paying his release clause, as for 'who's never done anything in the game' he's rated as one of the best CB prospects (if not current ability) across Europe and fits the style Man City want to play, 

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Entirely disagree, thought 65m was well above his value. Coutinho went for 120m (+ add ons) and that was too much for him too but it's the price Barcelona were willing to pay. You can't really compare their prices.

Mahrez is an excellent player for sure but not sure that Man City even need him so why would they pay above the odds for a player when they already have players in that position, in form?

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

That's a case of Man City paying his release clause, as for 'who's never done anything in the game' he's rated as one of the best CB prospects (if not current ability) across Europe and fits the style Man City want to play, 

Yeah.  But this is relative.  Mahrez is a great age and is proven here.  He's been exceptional this season. 

If you are earning good money...why do players continually want to go and play for the top 6 sides?

Why not embrace being a very good player, and loving the fact that you are playing for an 'unfancied' team and trying to achieve ( what they did before ).

Growing with the Club and developing together.

It's a bit like being the blonde in the room that you instantly notice...then get bored of when you see all the better looking brunettes.

Or ending up playing for U2 or Coldplay...playing to big audiences, but everyone soon gets bored of you.

Playing in the Champions league...big deal. Try doing it with a 'smaller' Club, not one that can afford to buy their way there.

One of my fears is that if we end up in the Prem, we will end up with players with attitudes like this. Hopefully not.

Does any football fan respect these players?

Maybe in the players head they do...if only they knew. So many living in a bubble.

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I agree with a lot of that but Ameryic Laporte is a top quality CB. See how he gets on in the prem but he could’ve easily slotted in to Barca. 

I rate Mahrez. They should be asking 75m+. VVD a defender went for 75m. Mahrez a goal scoring and play making winger. They aren’t cheap. Think Man City could have used him. Their least impressive of the attackers were their wingers. Young and bags of talent and potential but they aren’t in their prime. Mahrez is just getting to his and imo could have taken Man city to a higher level.

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Laporte is one of the best defenders in the world and 3 years younger. 

Not saying Mahrez is not a very good player but £100m seems massive. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you are earning good money...why do players continually want to go and play for the top 6 sides?

Why not embrace being a very good player, and loving the fact that you are playing for an 'unfancied' team and trying to achieve ( what they did before ).

Growing with the Club and developing together.

It's a bit like being the blonde in the room that you instantly notice...then get bored of when you see all the better looking brunettes.

Or ending up playing for U2 or Coldplay...playing to big audiences, but everyone soon gets bored of you.

Playing in the Champions league...big deal. Try doing it with a 'smaller' Club, not one that can afford to buy their way there.

One of my fears is that if we end up in the Prem, we will end up with players with attitudes like this. Hopefully not.

Does any football fan respect these players?

Maybe in the players head they do...if only they knew. So many living in a bubble.

Had to be hard when they let Kante go though. Sounded like Vardy could have left too. Rumours of a “gentleman’s ageement” after their prem champions trophy. That he would stay for their champions league season but could move after. 

Personally, I agree with you. Just saying it seems they are playing hardball with Mahrez when they didn’t with others. They have every right to ask for a big transfer fee though. Why should they miss out on a big deal? Think at their best Mahrez was more consistent than Couthino. Not saying 140m for him but 70-80m isn’t unfair imo. 

Thought Leicester were daft to turn down the money that was tabled yesterday. No doubt they will accept a slightly lower offer in the summer - and if not, he won't be worth anywhere near as much soon after that due to his contract running down.

BUT, Mahrez (along with his agent) accepted a long-term contract, if Leicester don't wish to sell, they have full right to reject any offer that comes in even if it's against the players wishes. So in a way, a big way actually.. he needs to grow a pair.

Signed for less than 1mill 4 years ago mind.....

Archived