IGNORED

Steaua Bucharest 1991 Friendly Ticket

Fitzy Red

1 hour ago, Fitzy Red said:

I have a fair to good collection of tickets dating back to the early 60’s

I also collect programmes dating back to 1900’s

All Bristol City

Good on you mate.  A pile of toe nail clippings on my beside table is sum total of my collecting.

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

What was the score in this? Lineups?

I went to this match, dont remember the line ups but I do remember that Steaua were a really good side. I think we lost 2-0 although I could be wrong. 

I may even be confusing the final score with an Anglo Italian Cup match at the Gate against Reggiana but both teams outplayed us.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

I don't remember this match at all - any further details / recollections from those that were there?

I seem to remember they had a pretty good following in the away end. My only other recognition is that they were better than anyone else I’d seen us play at AG in the 4 years I’d been attending prior to that game. I think they’d won the Cup Winners Cup a few years before.

42 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I went to this match, dont remember the line ups but I do remember that Steaua were a really good side. I think we lost 2-0 although I could be wrong. 

I may even be confusing the final score with an Anglo Italian Cup match at the Gate against Reggiana but both teams outplayed us.

I seem to remember they had a pretty good following in the away end. My only other recognition is that they were better than anyone else I’d seen us play at AG in the 4 years I’d been attending prior to that game. I think they’d won the Cup Winners Cup a few years before.

cheers @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan! I'm absolutely baffled, can't remember this one bit. 

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I went to this match, dont remember the line ups but I do remember that Steaua were a really good side. 

I seem to remember they had a pretty good following in the away end. 

They brought over a 1000 over and took nearly 100 back....

Pretty sure Dan Petrescu played in this and someone else who later made the move to the old First division. 12th August 1991 which was a Monday according the the internet but can't find teams.. Remember being impressed by them. They were then one of the best teams in Europe! I think we lost 2.0 also.

They won the European Cup in 1986. Bloody awful game IIRC where they beat Barcelona on penalties having played for them for 120 minutes. It was when English clubs were banned from Europe so you got some pretty random winners of trophies back then. They did get to the final again two years later and got dicked 4-0 by Milan.

Went to this game and yes I remember it was definitely 2-0 to Steaua.  I have a memory from this game (or rather from the EP reports on the Monday after) that the City players were a bit miffed at a perceived lack of respect shown by Bucharest who were, tbh, a class above.  I think it involved showboating but in a bad way, ie they would adjust their hair, scratch their noses, or pluck their eyebrows (you get the idea!) whilst our players were running around like headless chickens trying to get the ball off of them!

Archived