IGNORED

Flint - new contract SIGNED!

5 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

This deal doesn't actually keep him here any longer than what he was contracted to already unless the 1 year option is exercised? No extra commitment to the club.

All it means is that Flint is cashing in on wages for me. Fingers crossed that doesn't upset any other players. And hopefully a big release clause is in there so we get more if/when he goes but no guarantee City have included a decent fee...

More worried about Bobby's contract.

Fingers crossed that we are ambitious enough to pay the going rate for top players .

We either are a Championship club with all that that entails or we stay a small club scratching around to survive .

20 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Wright and Baker were gonna be the pairing when flint was seemingly leaving. I guess we will likely sign another CB but doubt captain wright will end up third choice. Kelly Baker Wright Pisano our likely back 4 I think. 

We started this season with Wright and Hegeler as centre backs for a couple of games then Baker and Wright. Flint didn’t start until the 6th match...so Baker and Wright were already playing together when Flint couldn’t get in the team...

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Fingers crossed that we are ambitious enough to pay the going rate for top players .

We either are a Championship club with all that that entails or we stay a small club scratching around to survive .

This debacle does make me wonder if all of this Prem chasing is really a good thing.  It's not as if tickets will become cheaper if we get promoted.  The corporate types will become priority, before genuine fans and the management will have even more cause to say "if you don't like it, **** off".

Doesn't fit my definition of CLUB.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with you, at some point we're going to have to start to realise that we can't continue to pay crap wages if we really are aiming for promotion.

But the issue is that we won't be paying those types of wages to our other top players. Bobby/Joey for example you can bet are on much less than Flint now. Both are as integral to our team as Flint. 

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Wright and Baker were gonna be the pairing when flint was seemingly leaving. I guess we will likely sign another CB but doubt captain wright will end up third choice. Kelly Baker Wright Pisano our likely back 4 I think. 

It may be Wright will not be the captain next season  - I'm not sure he's proved himself to be a great choice - and I doubt we'd sign a replacement for Flint who is not an immediate contender for the 1st team. Just as we would likely have done if Flint had left last Summer.

There's no doubt Korey should be the captain imo.

Anyway, hopefully Flint stays, he'll be a big miss if he doesn't.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

This for me is the biggest worry. He has been a revelation this season and we really don't want to lose him. It seems that this one is dragging on. If Flint has been offered a new deal then surely Bobby would have.

Bobby is understandably keeping his cards close to his chest.  He could earn some serious money elsewhere.  Anyone got an inkling what he's on here?

Having read through facebook/twitter comments I really don't understand why people are so thrilled over Flint signing a new deal, I mean its not a bad thing but the level of excitement seems strange to me. He hasn't solidly extended his contract with us we just have the option of an extra year which if he's still here at the end of his contract would mean he's 31 and likely would be looking to replace him anyway, or even would have been at the end of his old contract. So it doesn't really add anything in terms of transfer value for us, he's now on a bigger wedge, which in return probably means that our other key players (particularly thinking of those on long contracts) will now start thinking that they're deserving of improved contracts. If anything it just seems the increased size of his new deal will help him negotiate an even bigger number if/when he moves on in the summer. 

Cracking news.

Flinty, you’re a legend. Love your attitude, how you’ve made the most of your talent and your commitment to continuous improvement. 

Now we just need 10 clones and we’d walk this league. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wouldn't bet on that.

If Flint goes we'll no doubt sign another CB, and Bailey, in particular, will have to battle it out with him.

Couldn't agree more. The whole point is to add depth and quality, not just have Wright and Baker backed up by some young prospects. At the same time developing a pathway, opportunities, for those same young prospects of course!

And all this has to be done by selling high and buying low, any replacements also being of a certain age with scope for improvement and profit.

Simple, not. In fact an extremely tall order to get right every time but that seems to be the plan whether we agree with it or not. 

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Couldn't agree more. The whole point is to add depth and quality, not just have Wright and Baker backed up by some young prospects. At the same time developing a pathway, opportunities, for those same young prospects of course!

And all this has to be done by selling high and buying low, any replacements also being of a certain age with scope for improvement and profit.

Simple, not. In fact an extremely tall order to get right every time but that seems to be the plan whether we agree with it or not. 

If we`re still in the championship I have no doubt Zac will be a lot more ready after his half season in a successful Plymouth side. The experience he`ll have picked up playing alongside a warhorse like Sonny Bradley will be invaluable in his development.

32 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

If we`re still in the championship I have no doubt Zac will be a lot more ready after his half season in a successful Plymouth side. The experience he`ll have picked up playing alongside a warhorse like Sonny Bradley will be invaluable in his development.

This. Feel like Vyner's being earmarked as the long term replacement at RCB. Getting rave reviews at Plymouth, they're talking about him like we used to talk about Caulker. Obviously a completely different type of player but perhaps dare I say more of a Johnson type, and ultimately having someone more comfortable on the ball alongside a physical ball winner like Baker may be a better balance.

Flint would be a big loss because of his goals and probably most importantly his hero status amongst the fans, but he's not as integral as say Bobby is. I wouldn't be surprised if he left and we didn't sign a big name replacement. Maybe someone for squad depth, but Wright slotting in with Baker and Vyner transitioning in over the next year or two, with Mags and Taylor Moore as well, think a RB might be more likely in that case.

2 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

This. Feel like Vyner's being earmarked as the long term replacement at RCB. Getting rave reviews at Plymouth, they're talking about him like we used to talk about Caulker. Obviously a completely different type of player but perhaps dare I say more of a Johnson type, and ultimately having someone more comfortable on the ball alongside a physical ball winner like Baker may be a better balance.

Flint would be a big loss because of his goals and probably most importantly his hero status amongst the fans, but he's not as integral as say Bobby is. I wouldn't be surprised if he left and we didn't sign a big name replacement. Maybe someone for squad depth, but Wright slotting in with Baker and Vyner transitioning in over the next year or two, with Mags and Taylor Moore as well, think a RB might be more likely in that case.

I see Vyner/Baker as similar in many ways to a young Louis playing alongside Shaun Taylor.

Archived