IGNORED

Has there been a more exciting time to follow City?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

For you maybe...........wasn't exactly my type of football tho.

The reason you don't like GJ is nothing to do with the 'type of football'. It's because of your infamous 'Conference manager' jibe that ended up in GJ humiliating you in his office when you denied you were the poster Robbored. 

Do you take us all for idiots? It's been documented many times on this very forum and explains your clear dislike of GJ.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reason you don't like GJ is nothing to do with the 'type of football'. It's because of your infamous 'Conference manager' jibe that ended up in GJ humiliating you in his office when you denied you were the poster Robbored. 

Do you take us all for idiots? It's been documented many times on this very forum and explains your clear dislike of GJ.

Jeez.................:facepalm:

Not this again...........:disapointed2se:

So boring...............:sleeping:

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

What ever happens this season, fair enough, it has been a quality year no matter what and hopefully it will culminate with a shot at the play-offs.

But do we have even better times around the corner?  If we don't succeed this season, are we going to slug it out for the Championship title next year?

More exciting times than this? Oh yes, much more exciting, these eras meant much more to me than now:

1976-1980 - Unbelievable times, beating Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (home & away) etc etc, just amazing...and we finished 13th in the top tier in 1977/1978

1982-1988 - The Terry Cooper years, awesome commitment both on and off the pitch..

1989/1990 - I don’t care who won that division that season, we went up with the 2nd best City team I’ve ever seen

not sure about the most exciting, but I'd certainly say that never before have we appeared to be so well set-up to achieve bigger, brighter things. I believe the transfer window was a cock-up, but that happens when you're learning the ropes. The vision and strategy we have seems to be really locking into place, and while I have been critical and suspicious previously (of the board, the manager, etc.), this season has seen everything gradually crystallize to suggest there genuinely is something at the end of the rainbow. 

I loathe the word 'project' as much as 'the promised land' and other sky buzzwords, but in this case you can really sense that there is a long-term plan. Exciting yes, but 'most exciting'? Probably not. At least not yet... 

4 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Having followed since for over 25 years - I still don't think this beats the GJ two seasons from going up and the almost again. I used to look forward so much to those games. Being younger also made it more exciting too as I think the older you get the more you've seen it all etc. 

These are good times though in comparison to most years Ive supported. 

The brilliant thing about that GJ era, is that in just 2 years, we went from bottom- I mean rock bottom- of League One, off the back of a record losing streak (0-1 v Bradford the 9th loss on the spin), to top of the Championship in 2 years or so, a bit longer.

This season is great and might turn out to the best yet in my nearly 20 years. However, that turnaround was so major, so dramatic and most of all so unexpected, that I'll always look back on those times with great fondness.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The brilliant thing about that GJ era, is that in just 2 years, we went from bottom- I mean rock bottom- of League One, off the back of a record losing streak (0-1 v Bradford the 9th loss on the spin), to top of the Championship in 2 years or so, a bit longer.

This season is great and might turn out to the best yet in my nearly 20 years. However, that turnaround was so major, so dramatic and most of all so unexpected, that I'll always look back on those times with great fondness.

GJ's stint in the Championship was the only time I had a season ticket and went to most away games, so those seasons always live long in the heart.

But it was let down by our rubbish transfer business in both the January and subsequent summer transfer window - when we should have built on the fantastic squad / team.  This summer, I'm sure we will sign a good mix of decent and upcoming talent and keep on developing - both on and off the field.

53 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

GJ's stint in the Championship was the only time I had a season ticket and went to most away games, so those seasons always live long in the heart.

But it was let down by our rubbish transfer business in both the January and subsequent summer transfer window - when we should have built on the fantastic squad / team.  This summer, I'm sure we will sign a good mix of decent and upcoming talent and keep on developing - both on and off the field.

Agreed with a lot of this, but like I say that whole 2 years was fairly exhilarating from my POV ...only one year of Championship in that time...plus in between that, in 06/07 varied players went to prison... Not good but helped build on a siege mentality.

This year may well top that spell overall but for turnarounds...highs, lows, good, bad, ugly...that's my top period personally so far in my time supporting.

Has to be the 14/15 season for me, Cotterill era. My favourite City team although this current one is up there, mainly due to Flint and Smith are still with us. 

That season was special, after the Mcinnes and O’Driscoll stints Steve Cotterill came in with fresh ideas, built his team and developed an attacking style play of football, a joy to watch! 

After so much dross beforehand, it was so exciting to be watching City again and that’s why that wins it for me.

King Cott’s.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

More exciting times than this? Oh yes, much more exciting, these eras meant much more to me than now:

1976-1980 - Unbelievable times, beating Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (home & away) etc etc, just amazing...and we finished 13th in the top tier in 1977/1978

1982-1988 - The Terry Cooper years, awesome commitment both on and off the pitch..

1989/1990 - I don’t care who won that division that season, we went up with the 2nd best City team I’ve ever seen

Yep. 13th when there were more than the cosy little group of 20 there is now. 

13 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Has to be the 14/15 season for me, Cotterill era. My favourite City team although this current one is up there, mainly due to Flint and Smith are still with us. 

That season was special, after the Mcinnes and O’Driscoll stints Steve Cotterill came in with fresh ideas, built his team and developed an attacking style play of football, a joy to watch! 

After so much dross beforehand, it was so exciting to be watching City again and that’s why that wins it for me.

King Cott’s.

Definitely one of the best seasons ever, in my memory, although the John Ward promotion campaign of the late 90's is my personal fave, with my all time favourite striker Shaun Goater and the workaholic Colin Cramb leading the line.

You could say that the season you mention can be included within the current period of City's success, as we have continued to build on that achievement, and like you say still have several of those players: FF, Smith, Flint, Pack, Reid (though not the goalscoring sensation of today) and Bryan.

14/15 was the season the good times began again, long may they continue.

14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

I don't think we felt that we were a small club at the time, Ipswich were similar to us, but were a very good side, I felt at that time that on our day we could beat anyone, and often did...

We mostly stayed up due to fortress Ashton Gate , away from home we were often a little lacking in confidence , as confirmed by many of our ex-players of the era.

( Apologies if this isn't funny enough but the Major is having humour infusions on the National Health and the results are a doubtful at best ) 

I too can remember the time spend in the old first division, and yes they were exciting times.

However having followed City for over 40 years there are many memorable times, and at present I am just enjoying these, and hope fully will enjoy many more in the future.

I feel that you can not compare these days with yesterday as like all life things have moved on, and the game is so much more different that it was years ago.

I am happy to live for and enjoy to day, and hope that our great club will continue to prosper. 

15 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Having followed since for over 25 years - I still don't think this beats the GJ two seasons from going up and the almost again. I used to look forward so much to those games. Being younger also made it more exciting too as I think the older you get the more you've seen it all etc. 

These are good times though in comparison to most years Ive supported. 

The second season was odd in a way. Rising so high after promotion was euphoric, but I don’t recall a feelgood factor about the quality of football that we have now. There seemed to be a lot of edgy wins and “can’t believe our luck” moments - until Wembley of course!

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The second season was odd in a way. Rising so high after promotion was euphoric, but I don’t recall a feelgood factor about the quality of football that we have now. There seemed to be a lot of edgy wins and “can’t believe our luck” moments - until Wembley of course!

First half of the season, maybe first 2-3 months we played some great stuff. Capable of dominating a variety of sides in this League.

Post the signing of Adebola and Carle (not their fault), we changed our game a bit too much. I'd say the edgy wins, lucky elements probably started to kick in around November, Christmas at the latest.

15 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Some really dark times - much worse than that playoff final under Wilson eh. 

That final very nearly broke me TBH and I very nearly gave up watching City. I haven't felt such disappointment, as a supporter, since or before for that matter. Even going down to the old div 4 didn't match it.

I'm another who was around for the first division days and let's hope we're on the cusp of something similar for all you young 'uns that weren't around then. :yes:

19 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Alas, wasn't around back then, so can't really comment!  But even in that four year stint, didn't the feeling exist that we were a small club battling against the odds?

Now something else is happening, isn't  it?  We are growing, times are changing for City.

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Well, as someone (just) old enough to remember let me tell you then that the promotion season of 75/76 and then the 4 years afterwards pisses all over this.

Imagine the Man U game every month or so. I saw us beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (to effectively relegate them!) & both of the Manchester clubs.

This season has been good, that era was great.

17 hours ago, grove park city said:

The promotion season leading up to the 1st Division was simply the best experience following this Football Club ever beating W.B.A away  1-0 was one of the most one sided games i've ever seen City's goal mouth was boarded up, then  Clive Whitehead smacking in the promotion goal at the old open Park end against Portsmouth  magical still got some of the grass off the pitch.  

16 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Yes I suppose we were the potential whipping boy's, but we did play football the City way, and caused a few upsets, the football we dished up was electric at times, will never forget a Boxing Day match against WBA, losing 1-0 at break we put on a second half display the like of which I had never seen before, and beat them 3-1, but next day we were up at St Andrews and we lost 4-0, with a certain Trevor Francis scoring a hat trick,  on debut I think it was. Beating Liverpool, Man U, Tottenham, was brilliant, and the footballing pundits loved us.Especially Motty.

Yes I was lucky, and the cherry on top I saw England win the World Cup too, some benefits in being an old git I suppose.;)  

I am old enough to remember the 70s promotion and yes, it was tremendously exciting, especially being young and retaining the (relatively) innocent and naive view of football you have when young, and before endless disappointment and cynicism kicks in.

However, the big difference between then and now is that there was not the massive gulf between the top teams in the top flight and the rest, in terms of financial resources. Also teams could come up from old second division and be competitive in the top flight - teams like Notts County and  Carlisle made it and were not the absolute whipping boys they surely would be these days. Theses days unless you are a relegated premier league team able to hold on to your premier league squad, thanks to parachute payments, most clubs will have to spend heavily just to stand a chance of staying up and have little chance of challenging anywhere near the top.

Back then we were paying top salaries in order to attract players like Norman Hunter - probably the equivalent of us getting promotion and then paying £150,000 per week  to attract an experienced premier league player from a top six club.  

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I am old enough to remember the 70s promotion and yes, it was tremendously exciting, especially being young and retaining the (relatively) innocent and naive view of football you have when young, and before endless disappointment and cynicism kicks in.

However, the big difference between then and now is that there was not the massive gulf between the top teams in the top flight and the rest, in terms of financial resources. Also teams could come up from old second division and be competitive in the top flight - teams like Notts County and  Carlisle made it and were not the absolute whipping boys they surely would be these days. Theses days unless you are a relegated premier league team able to hold on to your premier league squad, thanks to parachute payments, most clubs will have to spend heavily just to stand a chance of staying up and have little chance of challenging anywhere near the top.

Back then we were paying top salaries in order to attract players like Norman Hunter - probably the equivalent of us getting promotion and then paying £150,000 per week  to attract an experienced premier league player from a top six club.  

Promotion was none the less just as exciting for City supporters and Bristol itself.Promoted teams to-day do find it more of a struggle due to the huge gulf in wealth, which will have to be addressed as the top league will just be so predictable every season. What Leicester did was a revelation, and I can't see that ever being done again. 

6 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Promotion was none the less just as exciting for City supporters and Bristol itself.Promoted teams to-day do find it more of a struggle due to the huge gulf in wealth, which will have to be addressed as the top league will just be so predictable every season. What Leicester did was a revelation, and I can't see that ever being done again. 

Already is getting that way, last 2 years...same top 6 almost certainly. Arsenal's implosions, especially on the road are keeping 6th place just about alive for Burnley and Leicester to chase, but when was the last time we had the same 6 teams in successive years comprising the top 6 in the top flight??

Will it be addressed? Not while cash keeps rolling in it won't. Leicester's feat was truly remarkable, wonderful.

Archived