IGNORED

Has there been a more exciting time to follow City?

reddogkev

What ever happens this season, fair enough, it has been a quality year no matter what and hopefully it will culminate with a shot at the play-offs.

But do we have even better times around the corner?  If we don't succeed this season, are we going to slug it out for the Championship title next year?

30 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

When we were in the top flight?

Alas, wasn't around back then, so can't really comment!  But even in that four year stint, didn't the feeling exist that we were a small club battling against the odds?

Now something else is happening, isn't  it?  We are growing, times are changing for City.

I just missed out on our top flight days, so for me this is the most exciting time I have had watching City. I really enjoyed the play off season under GJ, but what is different about now is that we have the infrastructure to keep progressing as well as crowds being consistently over 20,000. Our football has also often been a joy to watch. Good times with the sense there is more to come.

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Alas, wasn't around back then, so can't really comment!  But even in that four year stint, didn't the feeling exist that we were a small club battling against the odds?

Now something else is happening, isn't  it?  We are growing, times are changing for City.

Yes it did - and it would again if we go up now.

To date, getting promoted to the First Division was my highlight as a City fan, closely followed by winning away at Arsenal in the first game after promotion.

54 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What ever happens this season, fair enough, it has been a quality year no matter what and hopefully it will culminate with a shot at the play-offs.

But do we have even better times around the corner?  If we don't succeed this season, are we going to slug it out for the Championship title next year?

Yes it is a fantastic time to be a City supporter , there are many good things happening at the club. It is wonderful. 

There are no guarantees that we will be better next season so enjoy what's happening now to the full . 

I bet Reading and Wednesday fans thought they'd be stronger this year 

I watched the BBC MOTD programme earlier today and they were discussing West Brom. They talked about the Chinese owners and how they could not see how they could run a football club from abroad and without, apparently having a proper interest in the club. They also commented that they could not see any plan or structure for the club going forward.

By comparison we have an owner who is heavily invested in the club and the City, even though he lives "abroad" :). More importantly we now know that there is a plan and structure in place for the club, going forward. It might not yet be completely perfect, but I think we have seen enough this season to give grounds for fans to be excited about the future. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Well, as someone (just) old enough to remember let me tell you then that the promotion season of 75/76 and then the 4 years afterwards pisses all over this.

Imagine the Man U game every month or so. I saw us beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (to effectively relegate them!) & both of the Manchester clubs.

This season has been good, that era was great.

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well, as someone (just) old enough to remember let me tell you then that the promotion season of 75/76 and then the 4 years afterwards pisses all over this.

Imagine the Man U game every month or so. I saw us beat Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs (to effectively relegate them!) & both of the Manchester clubs.

The promotion season leading up to the 1st Division was simply the best experience following this Football Club ever beating W.B.A away  1-0 was one of the most one sided games i've ever seen City's goal mouth was boarded up, then  Clive Whitehead smacking in the promotion goal at the old open Park end against Portsmouth  magical still got some of the grass off the pitch.  

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Damn I wish I was around in those times!

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yes it is a fantastic time to be a City supporter , there are many good things happening at the club. It is wonderful. 

There are no guarantees that we will be better next season so enjoy what's happening now to the full . 

I bet Reading and Wednesday fans thought they'd be stronger this year 

Major I think I prefer you when you are frivolous.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Yes I suppose we were the potential whipping boy's, but we did play football the City way, and caused a few upsets, the football we dished up was electric at times, will never forget a Boxing Day match against WBA, losing 1-0 at break we put on a second half display the like of which I had never seen before, and beat them 3-1, but next day we were up at St Andrews and we lost 4-0, with a certain Trevor Francis scoring a hat trick,  on debut I think it was. Beating Liverpool, Man U, Tottenham, was brilliant, and the footballing pundits loved us.Especially Motty.

Yes I was lucky, and the cherry on top I saw England win the World Cup too, some benefits in being an old git I suppose.;)  

Having followed since for over 25 years - I still don't think this beats the GJ two seasons from going up and the almost again. I used to look forward so much to those games. Being younger also made it more exciting too as I think the older you get the more you've seen it all etc. 

These are good times though in comparison to most years Ive supported. 

In recent years my perspective of football has changed considerably. Back in the old first division it was tremendous fun  and I didn't  care how we won a game. By and large City were always underdogs and to win was a great feeling. 

Gradually over the years and after I'd stopped playing I began to enjoy watching football even more for some reason and really enjoyed seeing attacking play. That's why I liked Danny Wilson. He always played that way. 

After he was sacked the next series of managers failed to excite me. It was like watching dry at times.............:facepalm:

But this season is very different. LJ has an agenda to play a high press, quick pass style and two games recently were great examples of that - Flum and Wednesday. It doesn't always come off course, very few teams play great stuff every game.

So yeah, this a good time to be a City fan.

19 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Having followed since for over 25 years - I still don't think this beats the GJ two seasons from going up and the almost again. I used to look forward so much to those games. Being younger also made it more exciting too as I think the older you get the more you've seen it all etc. 

These are good times though in comparison to most years Ive supported. 

Agreed. 10 years ago this month we were TOP of the Championship 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't think we felt that we were a small club at the time, Ipswich were similar to us, but were a very good side, I felt at that time that on our day we could beat anyone, and often did...

I'm old enough to remember watching City in the old first division and beating teams like Spurs Arsenal and Liverpool, they were exciting times and can't wait for my children and now grandchildren to have the same feeling I had back then. Today is good but nothing compared to back then

14 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

To me most seasons watching city are exciting.. ...not always in a positive way though :shifty:

I like to think that being a city supporter is far more of a roller coaster adventure than supporting almost ant other team. 

So true, there can`t be many clubs where when you kick that first ball in the August sunshine you genuinely have no idea what you`re going to be feeling the following May.

Love it and I wouldn`t have it any other way.

It's always difficult comparing sports people or teams. There are  so many different factors to consider.

For me getting to the top flight was so special, it was more of a holy grail back then because it was the only way you had a chance of getting on tv, albeit highlights on match of he day, occasionally you might get a stint on the big match in the second division. No social media or internet. You cold pick up a copy of Shoot and there would be a poster of a City player. It sounds odd now but back then if you were lower division it was local news only.

So, that first famous match in the top flight at Arsenal was like an FA cup final for us, it really felt like Bristol and the west country had arrived on the big stage and the whole country knew who were. 

The world is a very different place now and so is the premier league. Having said that, these are special times and should be enjoyed by all.

Archived