IGNORED

Match Report: A game so horrific I've made most of this up

Olé

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

That was going to be my one query in an otherwise accurate review. I thought Mags , Pisano and Kelly could take some credit from a horror show of a game. Djuric looked quality when he came on, wins everything in the air and his hold up is immense . 
The question is what does LJ see in Diony ??  Answers on a postcard :no:

Potential, must be the reply to your Diony question.

The guy reminds me of Paul Gasgoine who needed calming down to be effective.

He is so desperate to get himself away from his St Etienne nightmare he is not playing smartly.

The poor lad needs to chill. Many times he receives the ball and is already on the following move before he has the thing under control.

He is bombing around the pitch like demon and is putting himself and others at risk by diving into challenges.

I feel a bit sorry for him , he's jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire . 

Thanks Davefevs for you post above. Couldn't express my frustration and disappointment any better. I dared to dream. I know it's a stupid thing for a City fan to do. 

Too many years of underachievement make me seriously worried that if this disastrous form continues into August and September, then.................? 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Doesn't matter mate,  I'm talking about overall performances and we were dreadful in all 4 fixtures. Possibly the worst of the lot was yesterday.

although had those two "goals" been scored we would be saying that results not performances counted...surely?

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We've played Burton 4 times in the Championship: first game won 2-1 fortuitously, and 3 goalless draws since. LJ has clearly demonstrated he has learnt nothing about how to break down Burton or teams of a similar ilk. 

Poor management and today's performance was just so bad, you start to wonder whether he can turn around such a drop in form AGAIN.

As I've said on many threads, Johnson has the easiest job in football. No pressure from his mates Jon, Steve and Mark. He's a nice cheap option and does what he is told. It's going to be the same year in year out. Good luck people renewing at those prices 

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

As I've said on many threads, Johnson has the easiest job in football. No pressure from his mates Jon, Steve and Mark. He's a nice cheap option and does what he is told. It's going to be the same year in year out. Good luck people renewing at those prices 

I think that's indisputable but not necessarily a bad thing if that lack of pressure leads to LJ thriving.

The thing is we just don't know if he will ever truly thrive, or how long we as fans are expected to be patient for a genuinely savvy and consistent Championship manager to emerge.

Many of us were baffled by LJ's appointment in the first place, and the majority wanted someone about else this time last year.

Our performances and results at the very end of last season and up to the New Year gave many of us cause to think again. Some great football and results and perhaps LJ might have learnt from his mistakes and develop into a consistently sound Championship manager serving up entertaining football? If so, great.

It's fair to say the recent run has brought many of those doubts back, not least because his record over his entire managerial record made such a dire drop in form and results predictable and almost inevitable.

Though he's still in credit afaic. it's now going to be hard to enjoy the good runs in future when we know a collapse is almost certainly just around the corner.

It seems to be either great or terrible with LJ with not much in between. Looking like genuine promotion candidates one minute then embarking on a run where we sometimes look one of the poorer, most clueless teams in the division the next. Despite excuses being put forward no one really knows why these runs either start or finish. If he can't get over these extraordinary highs and lows I can't ever see him ever being settled as the accepted City coach in the eyes of the fans however safe his job is with the board. The almost predestined anti climax is going to annoy more and more fans if if continues season after season.

Mind you if the inbetween is the sort of dreadful performance which 'earned' a 0-0 at Burton you can be sure the fans won't accept that for long either.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks Davefevs for you post above. Couldn't express my frustration and disappointment any better. I dared to dream. I know it's a stupid thing for a City fan to do. 

Too many years of underachievement make me seriously worried that if this disastrous form continues into August and September, then.................? 

We can be Champions of League One again the following season.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem here folks is after a good start to the season and a nice cup run, everyone has now worked us out.

They all know exactly how we play and how to disrupt our flow and stop us playing.

We either need to get better at what we do or do something different.

I agree that Coaches/Managers have worked out how to stop us playing.  The point is though,  does he know how to do something different at the moment and if not how long will it take for him to work it out?

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'One of the most highly rated young coaches in Europe.'

Who says? Based on what?

Did they really examine the credentials of all the young coaches in Germany, Spain, Italy etc. in their deliberations before making such an outlandish claim?

I think it is because he is dedicated to the point of obsession and has a real hunger to learn and pick other more experienced managers brains.

However, this massive drop in form has happened for 2 seasons in succession with City, but it also happened at Barnsley.

So where are the lessons learned?

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Maybe an exaggeration but was horrible to watch. Struggling to get any dominance over a workman like side and 92nd minute before a shot on target ? That really is scary stuff. 
Brilliant day out though , we paid under £22 for a round of 9 pints in one place. Shame the game was so poor.

Blimey, fair play to you but what were you all drinking, milkshakes?

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Three points off the play-offs

Beat Man Utd

Best aggregate score home and away against Man City of any club

Converted Bobby Reid into one of the best players outside the Premiership

SACK HIM!!  Bring back Steve Cotterill.

Blown an 8 point gap on 7th place.

2 wins in 16 matches.

No goals in two matches against a side who will be relegated this season.

Resorting to hoofball football, Warnock wasn’t wrong.

Two loan signings who have contributed little in one case, nothing in the other.

You can use whatever facts you like!!

Not saying sack him but how long is it going to take him to learn? The next bad run on his cv could see us relegated and him sacked if he doesn’t.

One thing is sure, if this run continues or is repeated again next season and with higher season ticket prices on the horizon upsetting a few whatever your opinions on it, people will lose patience with him. I’m talking about the fans who want him to get it right but aren’t 100% convinced yet not the ones who would drive him out at the first opportunity.

3 minutes ago, freezer said:

Blimey, fair play to you but what were you all drinking, milkshakes?

I was drinking Stella but it still counts as alcohol .
We double checked with the guy that held the kitty and he was sure that's what they charged, and it would have been rude to mention it if it was a mistake ;)

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Because as soon as we hit a rough spell a few who simply cannot abide the bloke come out of the woodwork to slag him off.

I didn’t want him appointed, thought he was incredibly lucky to keep his job last season but can also see that he has improved us this season.

I think it is called having a balanced view..

Agree completely. Also, why does the manager always get all the blame. Surely Lee doesn't WANT them to play like that, and we know how much better they can do. However he picks them, coaches them or screams at them, he can't play the game for them. We were awful, and Burton were no better. COYR

Brilliant write up @Olé. Loved the description of Diony and the x box controller, exactly right sadly. He did win us a couple of free kicks ( as he did at Cardiff) but it was more by luck as he is so clumsy he looks like he is being fouled when he probably isn’t.

I thought we looked more steady when Magnusson came on, he did a fair bit of organising and had a decent half. Duric looked at least like he was enjoying playing again and was involved with anything in the air

Lots of others have written decent and accurate comments so I won’t ramble on. It was though like watching either two pub teams on a Sunday morning, or an early round of the FA Cup between a league one club (at best) and a non league club, but you couldn’t tell who was which. Shocking.

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s undeniable that Johnson does revert to long ball football when we are struggling and it is bloody awful to watch and furthermore we aren’t even good at it. Leeds, Cardiff, Burton away......:all long ball trash and the results show it’s not even “effective” which is the excuse some trot out on here for it.

The fact is we’ve served up some right rubbish in terms of both performance and results recently (well, months now) and just as Johnson loves taking the plaudits and is Mr Chirpy when it’s going well he needs to man up, face the music and get it sorted out when it isn’t.

As for the signings of both Kent and Diony........Jesus wept. Who came up with those names as the players who would cement our play off place?

I'm no defender of him but my observation would be that he's pretty chirpy all the time - he was last week after losing at Preston - and has faced the media after wins or defeats, albeit leaving things to his 2 assistants at times as well. Whilst criticism can be aimed at him for tactics and subs (moving the div's top scorer into midfield...) I don't think it's fair to accuse him of not facing the music.

Archived