IGNORED

Subs - LJ gets it wrong again

old_eastender

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To make an assessment of any new player you need to see him play several games. We haven't seen much of Diony because most of his appearances have been  from the bench and on the few occasions that he's started he doesn't play the full game.

Despite that some fans feel qualified to rubbish him. I find that quite astonishing.

His critics don't take into consideration the facts that  he's new to English football and living in a new country and all foreign imports take time to adjust to a completely new life style. Why do suppose that some English players don't succeed at overseas clubs?

It took the Chelsea legend Drogba an entire season to acclimatise to English football.

Give the guy a break.

How long does he need? Plus he's, hopefully,  with us for less than 4 months. He's only on loan for another 9 games, he had 45 minutes against Sunderland, he started at Cardiff, a few shorter sub appearances, and his contribution attacking wise has been zero. He barely looks capable of trapping a ball. If we had signed him (!!!!!!), we might hope that a pre-season will sort him out, but he's on loan, not contributing, and do you really want us to buy him on the evidence to date?

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To make an assessment of any new player you need to see him play several games. We haven't seen much of Diony because most of his appearances have been  from the bench and on the few occasions that he's started he doesn't play the full game.

Despite that some fans feel qualified to rubbish him. I find that quite astonishing.

His critics don't take into consideration the facts that  he's new to English football and living in a new country and all foreign imports take time to adjust to a completely new life style. Why do suppose that some English players don't succeed at overseas clubs?

It took the Chelsea legend Drogba an entire season to acclimatise to English football.

Give the guy a break.

Give him a break? The guy must be on around £15k a week. A week! That's more than some people earn in a year. Sorry, but for that kind of money you should be pretty bloody good straightaway. I find it incredible that people are so sympathetic to greedy footballers. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Not many would have grumbled about the starting line-up and Mags for Baker at HT was forced.

When he belatedly decides to try and change the game, he swaps Fammy for Djuric - which was fair enough (Fammy was one of several playing poorly).

However, Diony on for Pato WTF, how did that make any sense at all?  Pato although not doing much, had a least created two chances, if you are going to take him off he had to replace him with somebody else who could create - Kent, Eliasson, even Walsh, after all with Djuric on you needed a supply line. To put Diony on and drop Reid back to midfield was madness, and madness that has already failed in other games!

I know there are many with rose tinted specs who seem to think LJ can do no wrong, but his use of Subs since the turn of the year has been really poor most of the time and this is not a question of hindsight. So for any of LJs fan club that want to rubbish this, just explain HOW did Diony for Pato make any sense, when we needed to get crosses in the box to feed Djuric's excellent heading ability?

Bang on pal-as soon as Diony was brought on and Reid pushed back you & I both knew we wouldn't score!.......very puzzling.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Give him a break? The guy must be on around £15k a week. A week! That's more than some people earn in a year. Sorry, but for that kind of money you should be pretty bloody good straightaway. I find it incredible that people are so sympathetic to greedy footballers. 

AG - it's not Diony fault is on a decent wedge. All Championship player are. 

Using his salary as a stick to beat him with is hardly fair.

8 minutes ago, Crisis what Crisis ? said:

No need to worry about it then......the speck you can see on the horizon is that particular ship having sailed .....

Presumably you've just got back from the future and know how the next 9 games pan out? It's way too early to throw in the towel.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But Diony looking less likely to score than Frankie Fielding is!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Give the guy a break.

Having played a bit of football with and against a fair few ex-pro's I can tell you one thing that's common is how quickly they bring the ball 'under...

This guy couldn't trap a bag of cement.

That's nothing to do with adjusting to anything..............

46 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

No its a loan at the moment, but IF promoted, it turns permanent its £9.3m

It won’t be that much, although MA suggested it’s around the same amount as Diedhiou.

36 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

If we don't get promoted, he goes back, 

Probably right.

I take @Robbored‘s view that it takes time to settle, and I thought he looked good v QPR, but the problem is, how many signings are given a proper chance to settle?  Nobody gets more than one start on the trot, some not even that.

I don’t care what people’s view is but Cauley Woodrow is not crap.  He is capable at this level, maybe just not for us.  He’s not been given a chance.  Part of that will have been Reid’s form....but Diedhiou was out for how many months?  I’d feel pretty fed up if I were him.  Engvall is another story.

I think Johnson needs to think differently about "clubs in the bag".  It’s quite possible to play with the odd numbered irons!  I think when he has too many options he over-complicates his decisions.  You to try to name a balanced bench, typically 1GK, 2DEF (one full back, one centre-back), 2MID (one wideman, one central) and 2STR, but then he throws players into wrong positions.  Why have Eliasson on the bench but replace a wideman with soneone else?

14 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Bang on pal-as soon as Diony was brought on and Reid pushed back you & I both knew we wouldn't score!.......very puzzling.

Reid in midfield v Fulham should’ve been a rarity, a necessity to change tactics against a sude that pass it for fun.

In every other game he needs to play up-top.  We lose so much when he’s not there.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But his agent must've negotiated a handsome wage for him. I get that it's the going rate these days, but that doesn't make it any more palatable for those of us who are struggling to put food on the table. Obviously even worse are eejits like Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, who are on disgusting salaries comparable to what they actually do. I'm amazed that fans haven't revolted by now.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

When was the last time you saw Diony play a full game? and yet you feel qualified to rubbish him.........:facepalm:

He's played 170 minutes though, and shown not one ounce of real footballing ability. Engvall has played 40 minutes and at least shown he can control, pass, run with the ball and shown something - Diony so far feels like like Ali Dia.

I hope he does turn out to be a goal scoring machine, I would love to see any of our players netting for us, but the signs are looking very, very dim atm.

12 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Having played a bit of football with and against a fair few ex-pro's I can tell you one thing that's common is how quickly they bring the ball 'under...

This guy couldn't trap a bag of cement.

That's nothing to do with adjusting to anything..............

No-one becomes a professional footballer is you don't have the above average skills required.

To say he couldn't trap a bag of cement is laughable.

12 minutes ago, Fiale said:

He's played 170 minutes though, and shown not one ounce of real footballing ability. Engvall has played 40 minutes and at least shown he can control, pass, run with the ball and shown something - Diony so far feels like like Ali Dia.

I hope he does turn out to be a goal scoring machine, I would love to see any of our players netting for us, but the signs are looking very, very dim atm.

This.

He's played enough for us all to say, we honestly can't see any potential there. There's the vague hope he can turn it around, but this is no "rush to judgement".

His only contribution in that 170 minutes was one very timely penalty box clearance.  

Maybe we are playing him too far up. Maybe he'd work as a defensive MF breaker-up-of-play?

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This.

He's played enough for us all to say, we honestly can't see any potential there. There's the vague hope he can turn it around, but this is no "rush to judgement".

His only contribution in that 170 minutes was one very timely penalty box clearance.  

Maybe we are playing him too far up. Maybe he'd work as a defensive MF breaker-up-of-play?

Well he is certainly pretty good at disrupting our forward play!

I think the logic was that the wings at the Pirelli were basically totally cut up - Brownhill was struggling to get the ball under control quickly on the right and on the left there were literally two tyre tracks the length of the pitch with mounds of grass torn away, so I assume LJ went for long ball presence up front rather than any more wide play.

But with that said, I'm not sure why folks are jumping on the original poster for an over-reaction. He's spot on, and it isn't even hindsight - at the time it was quite obvious our problem was creating, not finishing (notwithstanding Diedhiou's sitter), so we removed Paterson (had a go) for another striker, not someone to run at the defence and cross.

The plan was obviously for Reid to drop and produce balls out of midfield, and it worked once or twice, but we were still ultimately getting Brownhill as the spare man off the right, and he is many things but not your quick dangerous crosser into the box. As such, our one chance after these subs was from distance and from outside the box.

As for Diony, you can't seriously still play the "settling in" card now when over a succession of substitute appearances he's not even managing basics of the game. And @Fiale is spot on, what really raises the concern is the logic that sees other players do more in less time (i.e. Engvall vs Diony, Elliason vs Kent) yet consistently get overlooked.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

On that pitch? 

Especially on that pitch. We try to play everything on the floor through the middle. Get the ball out wide and in the air where the pitch doesn’t effect the quality which both Kent and eliasson have quality crosses. There is a reason we don’t score against these teams and that is because they have 9 behind the ball and we play quite narrow. Trying to pick passes through 4-5 pairs of boots. Take them out of the equation with crosses. Get bodies in the box. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Give the guy a break.

I agree with all you are saying but why sign someone on loan that is on a sizeable wage that may take a long time to settle in.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I think the logic was that the wings at the Pirelli were basically totally cut up - Brownhill was struggling to get the ball under control quickly on the right and on the left there were literally two tyre tracks the length of the pitch with mounds of grass torn away, so I assume LJ went for long ball presence up front rather than any more wide play.

But with that said, I'm not sure why folks are jumping on the original poster for an over-reaction. He's spot on, and it isn't even hindsight - at the time it was quite obvious our problem was creating, not finishing (notwithstanding Diedhiou's sitter), so we removed Paterson (had a go) for another striker, not someone to run at the defence and cross.

The plan was obviously for Reid to drop and produce balls out of midfield, and it worked once or twice, but we were still ultimately getting Brownhill as the spare man off the right, and he is many things but not your quick dangerous crosser into the box. As such, our one chance after these subs was from distance and from outside the box.

As for Diony, you can't seriously still play the "settling in" card now when over a succession of substitute appearances he's not even managing basics of the game. And @Fiale is spot on, what really raises the concern is the logic that sees other players do more in less time (i.e. Engvall vs Diony, Elliason vs Kent) yet consistently get overlooked.

How come other footballing sides go there and win comfortably. Poor excuse. 

Diony may actually be the best player ever. However right now he is bang out of form, could not trap a bag of cement, would struggle to pass wind and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Not what is needed for a promotion run off the bench or otherwise.

However if he has some kind of epiphany in the next 9 games then we might see a player worth 9m.

Form is temporary. But he needs to find some. The fact LJ treats him in the same way he used to treat Engval...Bench Warmer with the occasional cameo speaks to what he thinks, maybe!

5 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

It takes time to settle into a new environment. I have used the Sanchez to Man U example in another post.  Torres was another.  Mikitarian( can’t be bothered to check spelling) played a couple of games then was dropped for a few months whilst he built his fitness levels up to English football level.     A friend of mine spoke to Pisano after he joined and he said it would take him months to get used to the speed of English football.  Give Diony a chance. They will see in training if he is any good.  Also it is well documented that he is low on confidence so once he scores a couple or if he does then I’m sure you will see a different player 

It matters not what a player is like in training. It’s what he does on the pitch on match days what matters and from what we’ve seen up to now he’s struggling to look anything like a championship player. 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Give the guy a break.

Then forget the question "why did he come on for Pato?". By your rationale...and to be fair, I 100% agree with you, the question should be ...

"why did Lee Johnson sign him in the first place?"

Ridiculous signing

Archived