IGNORED

UPDATE - THERE WILL BE NO WALKOUT - CANCELLED

Harry

57 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

In ABSOLUTELY NO WAY am I denigrating others who have started other threads recently, but we should have seen this coming.

Whilst this is happening, other hot threads on otib are: the p!ss poor taste of Heineken at the Gate; our ability to take corners; beating gas 22 years ago; not getting tickets for Burton on time (that's the killer for me, the fact that thread is still going...); and some manchester c*** who's dived, apparently. (Those who started these threads, no offence intended. Life goes on)

Whilst we have the creeping take over of BS on our hands and some of the fans sat next to us are facing a huge increase in price, many of us are debating Mark Hughes' appointment and Gustav Engvall's whereabouts. I don't expect the entire forum/board to be buzzing to the sound of protest, and I respect everyone's right s to debate whatever they like, but it says a lot that, 18 hours out from the next home game after this price hike for many, it's already losing/lost - apparently - its potency.

Sounds just like Reading FC to me. Or GB 2018. (I don't condone planting a F** YOU BS flag in the centre-circle, but we should do something.)

Having been there, I rather think the SSC Napoli forum or that of l'OM or Fiorentina or Rayo V would have shelved chat about whether the lager in the ground was as good as in town or not. We may not have the status of these clubs, but we should start somewhere or else we will be Reading, Cardiff etc.

as someone who started one of the threads you are critical of allow me to defend myself :) 

Last week I stood up for West Ham for having the balls to protest in their robust way. I got flamed for that by many, but it's only right for me to reiterate that support. What they did was a proper protest: going on the pitch, showing the club you're pissed off and livid. Sneaking out early and buying a pint (from the club!), is not a protest but a weak cop-out. That's why I think this whole 'out at 30' is a shambles. I in no way support the increase, but think if people feel strongly about it then they should do something equally strong. Go on the pitch, stand outside the directors entrance and give them grief, etc. 

Secondly, posting about other issues doesn't mean I haven't been posting about this. I'm sure that applies to others. I'd be grateful if you didn't insinuate that we're somehow complicit in the gentrification of the gate as that couldn't be further from the truth. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Well I have to say I am very disappointed to have to post this.

I posted this morning suggesting a walkout on Saturday in order to demonstrate to Bristol Sport that us Bristol City fans were a different breed and we would not take price hikes to the most vulnerable in our fanbase lightly.  I always thought that we were different.  Heard so many times that "oh that wouldn't happen at City" and "we wouldn't stand for that" when there have been stories of corporate greed and fans being taken for a ride at other clubs.

From the reaction my suggestion has received, it appears I have completely misjudged our fans.  I thought there would be a strong weight of opinion against the indiscriminate price rises for kids, the elderly and the disabled.  I thought that we would all stand up for each other, have each others backs, and stick up for those in our fanbase who were being edged out in favour of corporate money, glory supporters and greed.

I'm sad to say that I was very wrong.  It appears as if there are about 30 or 40 people who seem really behind it, which let's face it is a shit protest.  It seems most of our fans are too keen to not upset the players and ruin our (fading) premiership dream, rather than stick up for their fellow supporters who are having their matchday experience nullified by the decisions made.  I don't mind other people disagreeing with me on this, but I have received a torrent of abuse today for trying to stick up for others (on all forms of media, not just on here).  I'm not in it for that.  I thought I was helping others, but it seems I'm causing all sorts of division and hatred.

As a result, I am not going to suggest to anyone that they walk out in protest this week.  You can all carry on doing whatever you want to do and ignore the bigger picture.  That's your right.

Over the years I have been someone who has tried to bring as much atmosphere to Ashton Gate as possible.  I have been active in support of this club and trying to improve the colour, atmosphere and general experience.  It seems all of that is completely futile.  After the abuse received today I'm not going to bother any more.  I will continue to support my team for the rest of this season, in body, but not in voice.  I've had to put up with the following over the years :
You think you're a superfan, why do you sing that shit song, why don't you sing this, the atmosphere is shit, S82 is shit, you sing too fast, you sing too slow, that song has too many words, we've got nothing new, we copy everyone else, that new song is shit, blah blah blah.

The haters win.  I'm not bothering any more.  There's plenty who will keep trying, but the majority of fans at Ashton Gate don't seem to give a shit.  So I'm gonna join the majority and just be a bit-part in this club and let it continue to be a place of a placid support base that are happy to let their bellies be tickled by the corporates.  So much for everyone who says "against modern football", and "we'd never let that happen here".  The majority have shown this week that they are happy with how "modern football" is being run at our club, so I'm pissing in the wind.

Bristol Sport have missed a trick here.  The best 'product' they've produced in decades and they are trying to cash in on it straight away by robbing the poor to provide a place for the rich.

Good luck to everyone who wants to continue the fight against this, and to those who want to continue to bring atmosphere to our placid place.

Does it matter whether its 1 or 10,000 you should do what you feel is right for you...I used to really enjoy the old proper E.E and most of the revived E.E days; its now gone and the suits and SL/JL/LJ and Corp/H&S have taken over, I`ll pass on that. Not been back since the EE got dropped and wont be until this shower has gone.

That probably means I`ll never return....memories it is then.

2 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Does it matter whether its 1 or 10,000 you should do what you feel is right for you...I used to really enjoy the old proper E.E and most of the revived E.E days; its now gone and the suits and SL/JL/LJ and Corp/H&S have taken over, I`ll pass on that. Not been back since the EE got dropped and wont be until this shower has gone.

The question is why isn't everyone voting with their feet? 

53 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I have seen your Facebook messages actually,and a few might have been a bit naughty but the rest were common sense .Im not a stalker by the way but when you post almost word for word on a certain Facebook page  with “harry” then we can all read it

I’m not talking about the Facebook messages that YOU can see. There are personal messages that aren’t too pleasant and wish me ill. 

The unfortunate truth, maybe by design, is that the proposed changes and prices hikes haven't affected everyone.

I've seen it in my place of work - divide and conquer. You never take everyone on but chip away at the edges and degrade something for a minority. Those that aren't affected will be quietly accepting because their situation remains unchanged.

For now.

I personally don't support a walkout but I do applaud you efforts @Harry on behalf of the affected groups of people.

It stinks to sanitise the lower rows of the stadium by relocating children to the Upper Lansdown. And as others have said, young kids will feel no connection to the players we want them to support. When did choosing where to sit stop being a choice for people taking kids to a match. This is a truely shocking decision.

I'm sure I heard Martin Griffiths or Mark Kelly state that the average age of our support was 46. If that's true, the club will die. Price rise or not we need to get young fans to want to support this club for life.

Price hike for disabled supporters? Totally wrong. Everyone could expect an increase in ticket price in line with inflation/earnings but by jumping the price over one summer, the club are saying "we've let you watch football too cheaply during these last few seasons". This to a group of people who may have far less enjoyment in their lives than many of us who sit in non-disabled seats. Give them a break, let them watch their football without punishing their pockets.

Okay, it might not be you this year but like @Olé has said, look out because it will be you next time or the time after. And the remaining disabled supporters, broken family groups, or parents with children high in the Lansdown won't feel like taking another hit after being treated so badly this time around.

I don't think we'll get promoted this season. I think season ticket sales will suffer. If we don't start well in August our attendances may well decline. I'm afraid that only then will the club act to bring back the disenfranchised and disenchanted.

Football is a business. There's no point arguing about that. But there are good businesses and there are bad ones. I've stopped going to the cinema because it's a rip-off. We all have a choice in the end but I would like to support a football club that didn't rinse groups of fans and understood that building loyalty was the future rather than making fans turn against other fans.

Yet another BCFC own goal that was entirely avoidable.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yes I have received lots of abuse. You haven’t seen my Facebook messages. 

Besides, I couldn’t really give a shit about that actually. It’s the absolute ******* apathy of most of our fanbase that’s actually got to me more! Half of the people I’ve seen comment today have had to ask “what are you moaning about”. It’s been 2 weeks, with Supporters Club meetings, hundreds (nay thousands) of posts on all forms of media, the club have had to release 3 statements on their pricing and most people STILL don’t have a clue what’s happening. 

I thought I was doing something for the good of a fanbase that was “different” to others, that looked out for each other, that had a unity and passion for keeping our club “real”, but clearly this is a minority view and most of our fans couldn’t give a shit about their fellow supporters. 

I honestly wish this football club all the best in its quest for regular top flight football, but the reality is that if we make the Prem, the best seats in the house will be taken by glory hunting armchair Man U/Liverpool fans who will contribute **** all to the matchday experience and once we go down again they will desert us, leaving a half empty sterile and quiet stadium. We are just a few years away from becoming a Reading or a Cardiff, with thousands of empty seats and a fanbase with an average age of over 50. 

Bristol Sport have truly missed a great opportunity to fill the stadium week on week with those who have a genuine interest in the welfare of the club. They’ve seen the dollar sign and made a bee-line straight for it and bore zero regard to its existing fanbase. And the majority are happy to lap it all up in their own personal selfish quest for top flight football so that they can banter with their Man U/Liverpool plastits at work. The ignorance and apathy of our fans is astounding. 

For Bristol City 2023, read Reading 2018. 

It’s amazing that everyone is so bothered about “not upsetting the players” and “don’t protest, we can still make the playoffs”, when many others are being forced to find an extra £300 to stay sat together as a family. It just makes me ******* sick to be honest and I felt strongly enough about it to try to help those affected. But everyone is so selfishly eyeing up the faintest hope of a playoff success that they’ve lost track of what this football club SHOULD be about. 

Bristolians have always been deemed as a very fickle and incredibly laid back bunch, and this episode just confirms that. No one cares, everyone has their own agenda, couldn’t give a shit about their fellow supporters and just see the pound signs of the Prem without any thought or emotion to what we should be as a club. 

I honestly thought we were better than that. But we are Reading FC 2023. 

So Harry- your glorious revolution falls short- unsurprisingly because in the last few days you just totally misjudge how the majority feel . At least you had the chance to put your views out there without getting arrested. I haven't seen any abuse towards you but if this is genuinely the case then it's plain wrong.

Bristol Sport have made a major mistake but the way to counter this is not "mob rule " at a match but, as I said to you on another thread, it is to contact JL and make our feelings known in writing- trouble is that too many want a big statement in an ill judged mass demonstration ( more likely to affect the team than the board) but won't actually take the time to protest where it will make the most difference.

Once again- it's a case of what is said on OTIB is usually not reflected with the majority of fans who actually turn up to the games- week in week out.

26 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Your coating Bristol City fans off but remember it took longer than two weeks to get the open the EE campaign going. a lot longer.

Yeah I know mate. I just haven’t got the passion, energy or desire to bother any more. 

2 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

The question is why isn't everyone voting with their feet? 

spot on. there are two things the board might listen to: i) a naughty west ham-style protest with pitch invasions and menace. ii) a boycott. 

Anything less is a half-measure. Anything less and they still get their money and still have peace of mind. Waving a red card or skulking out early has never in the history of the world achieved anything of any note. Sorry if i burst any bubbles, but that's the fundamental truth. 

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So Harry- your glorious revolution falls short- unsurprisingly because in the last few days you just totally misjudge how the majority feel . At least you had the chance to put your views out there without getting arrested. I haven't seen any abuse towards you but if this is genuinely the case then it's plain wrong.

Bristol Sport have made a major mistake but the way to counter this is not "mob rule " at a match but, as I said to you on another thread, it is to contact JL and make our feelings known in writing- trouble is that too many want a big statement in an ill judged mass demonstration ( more likely to affect the team than the board) but won't actually take the time to protest where it will make the most difference.

Once again- it's a case of what is said on OTIB is usually not reflected with the majority of fans who actually turn up to the games- week in week out.

One man is not one coordinated fan collective.

@Harry should be applauded for trying to do something to something - anything - to address an issue that didn't impact him directly but in solidarity with the groups that were impacted.

Do feel fans were a bit let down by the slow response from the SCATFAN guys, who really could have had a positive influence but didn't on this occasion.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

@Harry should be applauded for trying to do something to something - anything - to address an issue that didn't impact him directly but in solidarity with the groups that were impacted.

Do feel fans were a bit let down by the slow response from the SCATFAN guys, who really could have had a positive influence but didn't on this occasion.

To be honest it felt like the SCAT/FAN lot suddenly fell on the club's side of the fence given how long it took them to make statements and respond to JL.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I see you’ve referred back to a prior conversation we’ve had on other threads a couple of times now mate, ref freedom of expression. Stop tangling threads. This is a whole separate issue. 

Anyway, I’m more pissed off with the apathy of most of our fans. Loads not happy but don't want to help those who need help cuz they might upset the precious players (who've not performed for 3 months anyway!), and ruin our faint hopes of a prem place! 
Swathes of apathy, very little sympathy. 
I'm done with all the flag bearing, singing etc. No renewal for me. I'll choose the odd games to attend, but this season, whilst it's been great on the pitch, has been difficult off the pitch with police staring at me for 90 minutes despite me doing bugger all to warrant it, some stewards in our end being absolute pricks, the old bill ruining the atmos in Spanish bar, parking a mare when coming in late from 20 miles away etc etc. 
My passion has gone this year, which is sad cuz we're going places on the pitch. 

7 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

There are so many of you lot who come on to OTIB and tell us why you don't attend a match and haven't done so for some time and never will and just slag off our club.

Good luck with your memories- personally I'm looking forward to the new ones and love the new stadium, love the fact that we've got to a semi final, love getting on the pitch when we beat Man U in the last minute, love the fact that our top scorer is one of our own , love the fact that SL is a Bristol boy and keeps on giving and love the fact that we're doing ok and heading in the right direction.

I love the fact that the majority of fans who regularly attend at BS3 feel the same way as me and people with your attitude are the minority.

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Because you said it’s personal abuse,unless you tolerate bullying 

Yes. It’s personal. And I’d like to keep it that way. Why are you so keen to see what’s been said to me? Are you one of those who sent it? 

9 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It is not that easy to make such a unequivocal statement. Unless supporters were given facts to form true informed opinions and surveyed. That could have been the starting point. 

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

They bottled it and they know it. No respect for that lot anymore

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Obviously not but you sound like a boy who cried wolf and when pulled up on it does a nice bit of redirecting 

Why are you so interested? Why would I lie. I’ve been very forthcoming with everything I always post on here. 

Archived