IGNORED

Stewarding at AG could be worse...What is football coming to??

Mr Popodopolous

Now-  given that it doesn't list the clubs or the ground, so big caveat here- if it's somehow Ashton Gate, this post will look rather silly...:shutup:

However, there's no real way of knowing which clubs or ground because curiously it does not list it. It follows hot on the heels of a female fan getting banned from Huddersfield for being spotted having a pint in her seat. Confiscate the pint sure, give a warning yes and explain the rules but a banning for that??

I bet if it was applied this stringently, lots of people on here and all forums of all football clubs would be fined and hauled over the coals. Unsure how it's racially offensive, and in general it certainly isn't too offensive for football...

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Now-  given that it doesn't list the clubs or the ground, so big caveat here- if it's somehow Ashton Gate, this post will look rather silly...:shutup:

However, there's no real way of knowing which clubs or ground because curiously it does not list it. It follows hot on the heels of a female fan getting banned from Huddersfield for being spotted having a pint in her seat. Confiscate the pint sure, give a warning yes and explain the rules but a banning for that??

I bet if it was applied this stringently, lots of people on here and all forums of all football clubs would be fined and hauled over the coals. Unsure how it's racially offensive, and in general it certainly isn't too offensive for football...

I've just reported you for foul and abusive language, you potty mouth. 

I was quite rude to Dean Gerken once... Never swore mind. Just silly pickled comments behind his goal when he played at Colchester. We won the game, if I am not mistaken, and I think I might have put him off...very unsporting I admit. Sorry Dean. A fair few City fans were laughing their heads off at my poor jokes; at least it cheered a few prople up on what was probably yet another cold saturday away day.

We have all done it- I am sure. (Apologies if I am slurring anyone wrongly).

Who hasn't sworn at a football game or shouted some abuse? I mean, well it sounds like they just made an example of this individual for some unknown reason. Odd how they didn't name the game let alone the club either.

I remember at Roma last August when I took in a game out there while on holiday...my friend was very enthusiastic let's say! Great- he even shouted 'The referee's a cake'* quite loudly...No issues, no complaints no nothing, mind you in that atmosphere I doubt anyone noticed!

What about when ex player who was rather big headed does something to rile the crowd- I think Lita v Boro in 2009 stands out- over half the crowd chanting 'walker walker walker'! at him- you going to eject or try to eject several thousand people are you? Or fine them retrospectively?

• *- Cake may not have been the exact term he used!
  • !- Nor was Walker that day by the several thousand...

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can confirm this was not within our force area. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of reactions but otherwise your post would get a thanks.

Didn't think it was...there surely would have been something on here if it was the case!

Probably!

however I would use caution with this little information provided. in our experience when language like this is used and normally reported to stewards, they would then have a discreet word, normally only if it continues do police get involved and we would also give a warning before any  action is taken. 

I will look into this case and try to find out the facts surrounding then prosecution. It could be the fan was within a family stand, (or not as the case may be! ) 

In the football police experience within Bristol clubs a little tap on the shoulder reminding them of families kids etc in the area normally seems to work and apologies tend to be swift ! 

41 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Probably!

however I would use caution with this little information provided. in our experience when language like this is used and normally reported to stewards, they would then have a discreet word, normally only if it continues do police get involved and we would also give a warning before any  action is taken. 

I will look into this case and try to find out the facts surrounding then prosecution. It could be the fan was within a family stand, (or not as the case may be! ) 

In the football police experience within Bristol clubs a little tap on the shoulder reminding them of families kids etc in the area normally seems to work and apologies tend to be swift ! 

@JulieH

I'd be interested to know if the Police would intervene and arrest a player or Coach/Manager, if they continued to swear and verbally abuse someone else.

Also...why do footballers never get arrested for punching or headbutting another player. If a fan lost control of their emotions, as players sometimes do, they are arrested...why do players get different treatment?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

@JulieH

I'd be interested to know if the Police would intervene and arrest a player or Coach/Manager, if they continued to swear and verbally abuse someone else.

Also...why do footballers never get arrested for punching or headbutting another player. If a fan lost control of their emotions, as players sometimes do, they are arrested...why do players get different treatment?

Absolutely agree.

One rule for the high and mighty, another for the paupers in the seats.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

@JulieH

Of course not. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

@JulieH

Ultimately with regards to the asssult between players it comes down to a complaint being made by the injured player. A few have made them, notably a rovers player who was punched at a game in barrow I think? Suffered a fractured jaw and I am sure the offender went to prison. ( someone with better tech skills than me will no doubt find the link!) 

If complaints are made from players, officials then we will invetstigate and respond in the same way as we do for everyone else, however in my experience this so far has been rare .

53 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Ultimately with regards to the asssult between players it comes down to a complaint being made by the injured player. A few have made them, notably a rovers player who was punched at a game in barrow I think? Suffered a fractured jaw and I am sure the offender went to prison. ( someone with better tech skills than me will no doubt find the link!) 

If complaints are made from players, officials then we will invetstigate and respond in the same way as we do for everyone else, however in my experience this so far has been rare .

That doesn’t really explain the difference though?

whats the difference between two grown adults head butting each other outside the ground, neither want to press charges as hardcore hooligans, compared to a player inside the ground head butting another player but don’t want to press charges.

I fully expect if caught on camera, the hooligans head butting each other would be put in front of a judge and banned regardless. 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well when we played Man City around 100 of our resident S82 comedians were singing about Leroy Sane’s Mother having male genitalia....it was very embarrassing and very cringeworthy...but it probably made them feel better about themselves...despite Sané being on £90k a week at the age of 22....

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well when we played Man City around 100 of our resident comedians were singing about Leroy Sane’s Mother having male genitalia....it was very embarrassing and very cringeworthy...

Fairly sure he antagonized the crowd.

I can't remember what he did exactly, but it's always likely to yield a reaction.

Regardless of the songs at Sane, which isn't great, the fact that the FSF have highlighted this case suggests to me that the steward, let alone the club, the police overreacted to this supporter.

7 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

I hope these rules are rigorously enforced for the foul mouthed ***** on the pitch.

This.

Not forgetting ‘assualts’ on the pitch or headbutts or punches thrown even. Do that in the stand you’ll be slapped with a 3/5 year banning order!

Sorry @spudski beat me to it!

11 hours ago, JulieH said:

Thanks for the reply @JulieH and it makes interesting reading.

Unfortunately it reads of two standards and the hypocrisy of certain laws and how they are carried out in this country.

Regardless of the situation...an assault on another human being is the same regardless.

If a member of the public was to punch or head butt someone else, and was witnessed, they would be arrested, regardless of a complaint from the recipient.

If a member of the public does it in his job as a professional footballer, and it's witnessed, by police and public watching, then unless an official complaint is made by the recipient, then nothing happens.

Two standards no?

Hardly surprising when fans erupt and find it hard to keep control of their emotions, when they see players 'losing it' and nothing happening apart from a red card in the game.

Perhaps if an example was made in the future and Police intervened, situations would calm a little.

Said with respect and I understand you probably won't be able to comment as you would like...such is the way of the system.

Thought provoking though....

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately it reads of two standards and the hypocrisy of certain laws and how they are carried out in this country.

Regardless of the situation...an assault on another human being is the same regardless.

If a member of the public was to punch or head butt someone else, and was witnessed, they would be arrested, regardless of a complaint from the recipient.

If a member of the public does it in his job as a professional footballer, and it's witnessed, by police and public watching, then unless an official complaint is made by the recipient, then nothing happens.

Two standards no?

Hardly surprising when fans erupt and find it hard to keep control of their emotions, when they see players 'losing it' and nothing happening apart from a red card in the game.

Perhaps if an example was made in the future and Police intervened, situations would calm a little.

Said with respect and I understand you probably won't be able to comment as you would like...such is the way of the system.

Exactly. Hypocrisy. 

If I headbutt someone in a 5-a-side tournament at the local leisure centre they'd be more than interested in interviewing me. 

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Two standards no?

I have been involved in other incidents off the pitch where players etc have been dealt with by police for incidents in tunnel area etc. This are dealt with in exactly the same way , offender interviewed and decision made to deal with by charge/ caution etc. These decisions are no different to any other member of the public being dealt with . 

On  pitch as you say is slightly more difficult. Within the eyes of the law any assault that takes place as a result of a tackle etc is not an offence. This makes sense if you think about it as some injuries are serious and gbh charge would be appropriate! 

The difficulty comes if it is outside of a tackle or the immediacy of the ball, the fa will receive a report from Match offcials normally and it tends to be on recommendations from that.

i have massively simplified the law but hopefully the gist of it is here. 

We also as a police service react to foul language from the dug outs and again there have been occasions that we have spoken to match offcials at half time to ensure the manager/ coach is aware of our concerns. No different to giving a fan a little tap on the shoulder!! This always so far has the desired effect!! 

Archived