IGNORED

Johnson's Roy of the Rovers substitutions

Major Isewater

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’d rather stay in the championship than go up you mean. That’s fine, I’ve posted on here previously that the holy grail of the premier league isn’t all it’s cracked up to be to me. I’m quite happy in the championship for now. I was asked to give examples of proven managers at this level by another poster, so I mentioned Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock...

They are certainly that and I appreciate you are not suggesting either should be our manager.

However there are those who do advocate this type of name manager - last season it was Pearson, Moyes and the perennial Colin.

It's known that SL has no time for Warnock and the likes of Bruce would be on a huge wage, demand enormous spending, then complain about a lack of backing.

Still, if we don't make the play offs you can be sure there will be a demand for big names again. Along with big name players of course.

There's a fair chance Rowett will be available again and he can bring Cameron Jerome with him as a bonus. :whistle:

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay, Warnock yeah. 

Bruce though... Hmmm. Look at his record since they hammered Wolves. Unconvinced Villa will go up, aging squad too.

Back in August, who would you take as more likely to go up... Nuno, or Bruce. My guess is a lot of people would have said Bruce. 'Names'- be they managers or players- are only as good as what they produce. No more, no less.

My point to you, is that there are no guarantees at all. Who is to say Bruce or Warnock, would be doing any better with us currently.

All I said is Bruce and Warnock are proven at this level...because they are...

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He's young and LJ obviously didn't feel it worth risking him because of his inexperience of the Championship. He'll hopefully become a useful addition in the engine room next season.

I have hope for him.

It's a fine balancing act for LJ, but I wish he would be a bit bolder, more decisive, flexible.

Putting Walsh on for Paterson- and Walsh can certainly play as an attacking midfielder- then playing him behind Djuric and Reid, with Brownhill, Smith, Pack as the midfield 3.

That would have been bold, and yet given more of a structure, base- a foothold- in the midfield.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All I said is Bruce and Warnock are proven at this level...because they are...

They have a record yes.

Soon to be number 9? Hmm...wouldn't surprise me that much if Fulham got 2nd, Jovanovic gaining promotion number 2. They have the best run-in of the 3, so definitely not impossible.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

They have a record yes.

Soon to be number 9? Hmm...wouldn't surprise me that much if Fulham got 2nd, Jovanovic gaining promotion number 2. They have the best run-in of the 3...but yes probably will be Cardiff in 2nd

As I said, soon to be number 8 not 9....small point but no need to big up NW too much!

4 minutes ago, General Zod said:

My own opinion is that I thought his cv was far too light to get a championship job and I think it’s fair to say his relationship with the board got his foot in the door at City.  When he arrived he continued the momentum and kept us up in his first season, lost the plot in his second and then won me round first half this season.  Now I’m hurtling at speed back to where I was last year.  Its all about progression on the pitch and we are in danger of undoing all the positives from H1with me slipping back into thinking he’s clueless which on a personal front, isn’t where I want to be.  Given the type of football I’ve watched for 3 months and a chunk of his 2 years, I’m starting to question whether the good form was a blip and what we are is just a lower to mid table team 2 years into LJ tenure and a squad costing millions.  I’ve said before that I understand SL wants a self sufficient club and that’s his right as owner so I’m behind the long term goal.  The trouble is, I’m back to starting to doubt whether LJ is the man to see through this vision but let’s see how the season plays out.

Isn't your first sentence an argument for no Championship club giving a job to any managers showing promise in lower leagues? That would put Dean Smith on shaky ground as well for instance.

In which case Mick McCarthy is looking for a job next season if we want to perpetuate the merry go round of old lags rather than develop young coaches.

36 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As I said, soon to be number 8 not 9....small point but no need to big up NW too much!

Apology, 8 soon but 7 ATM.

I'd take Warnock over Bruce... If I supported another club.

Bruce though... He is good, don't get me wrong! Villa's current issues aren't entirely his fault... He signed some aging players too. So if Villa don't go up, FFP could cause them issues, no doubt. He added to that pressure by signing some aging players.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd take Warnock over Bruce... If I supported another club.

Bruce though... He is good, don't get me wrong! Villa's current issues aren't entirely his fault... He signed some aging players too. So if Villa don't go up, FFP could cause them issues, no doubt. He added to that pressure by signing some aging players.

Bruce’s record in the championship is top notch....4 promotions to the premier league in only 9 seasons at this level...impressive...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bruce’s record in the championship is top notch....4 promotions to the premier league in only 9 seasons at this level...impressive...

Signing aging players though... Big gamble to take. If that don't go up- and they might as I believe Bruce has an impressive playoff record- that will be a problem for them with FFP.

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

One major difficulty LJ has is that he has no midfield creativity on the bench to bring on. Had GoN been fit then he'd would have been on the bench and almost certainly used.

This is where I worry.  Walsh is meant to be creative, yet wasn’t selected in the 18.  Hegeler is a nice footballer too, yet wasn’t brought on either.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Steve Bruce, Neil Warnock....

@DaveInSA - thanks for your weird reaction....so you don’t think Bruce and Warnock are proven managers at this level? Steve Bruce has 4 promotions to the premier league in just 9 seasons at this level....and Warnock 7 (soon to be 8) promotions on his CV...so,  why your reaction? You don’t think they are proven championship managers? Speak up....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

@DaveInSA - thanks for your weird reaction....so you don’t think Bruce and Warnock are proven managers at this level? Steve Bruce has 4 promotions to the premier league in just 9 seasons at this level....and Warnock? 7 (soon to be 8) promotions on his CV...so,  why your reaction? You don’t think they are proven championship managers? Speak up....

They are, I thought you were wanting them at BCFC, you weren’t though - my bad. I wouldn’t have either of them at BCFC.

i’d love to know how much Bruce spent per promotion - he’s also been at bigger clubs than ours. 

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Isn't your first sentence an argument for no Championship club giving a job to any managers showing promise in lower leagues? That would put Dean Smith on shaky ground as well for instance.

In which case Mick McCarthy is looking for a job next season if we want to perpetuate the merry go round of old lags rather than develop young coaches.

But how much promise was LJ cv showing?  I’m all for giving potential a go and taking a punt on a successful manager or player from the lower league but what was on his cv at the time to make you think he was the one for us?  If LJ had no connection to the club I’d be amazed if he would have been on our radar.  He’s obviously still developing as a manager and still has lots to learn.  Maybe he should have been marked as one for the future, kept a close eye on and left to fine tune his skills in division one for another season or two.  He’s with us now and here to stay so the past doesn’t really matter.  I just hope he shows a few more signs of learning from past mistakes and develops quickly into the manager SL and MA feel he will become.  A win and performance on Monday would be a great start.

9 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

They are, I thought you were wanting them at BCFC, you weren’t though - my bad. I wouldn’t have either of them at BCFC.

i’d love to know how much Bruce spent per promotion - he’s also been at bigger clubs than ours. 

Has he been at bigger clubs? Hull City are arguably only bigger because they’ve been in the premier league for a very short while...but they aren’t huge compared to us...I appreciate your reply though fella...

13 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

You aren’t a fan of his are you? :facepalm:

No im not. One of the worst midfield players I ever saw and got picked week in week out by his dad. Remember him being booed at many games. Hardly a BCFC legend. Heart sank when we appointed him. Achieved nothing as a manager. Wanted Warnock or anyone with some credibility. But end of the day I'm resigned to the fact he is here whether we lose 20 in a row. Get relegated to L1 and down to L2. Job for life. 

31 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

No im not. One of the worst midfield players I ever saw and got picked week in week out by his dad. Remember him being booed at many games. Hardly a BCFC legend. Heart sank when we appointed him. Achieved nothing as a manager. Wanted Warnock or anyone with some credibility. But end of the day I'm resigned to the fact he is here whether we lose 20 in a row. Get relegated to L1 and down to L2. Job for life. 

Except that that's complete bollocks and you know it full well.

Weird how even a "Johnson makes puzzling subs" thread turns into **** me, an aren't Neil W  anker and Fathead Bruce amazing footy guys? w ank fest.

Yeah, Lee goes for it late on in games a bit and does things that the fans find odd. Show me a manager that doesn't.

14 hours ago, General Zod said:

Kent shouldn’t get near the bench, a let down every time he gets on the ball.  I know we probably feel obligated to play him given the terms of the loan but it’s a shame as he contributes little and he’s no doubt taking up Eliasson’s spot and impacting a player we actually own development.  Kent is certainly a player who needs to take a good look at himself.  Absence has certainly shown O’Dowda’s value to the team.

I would certainly like to see Eliasson getting more game time because he is one of our own, not a loan player who really hasn't shown the qualities he's supposed to have. Injuries have certainly been our toughest opponant this season.

14 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Sometimes? Most of the time.

I see the others are at it too.

Its raining here but I’ve had enough already. I’m up Muriel Jones shortly to get me seed potatoes in. ;)

Make sure Rodolph isn't there before you :whistle:

10 hours ago, tinman85 said:

We all see things differently. I can’t remember him being booed at many games and I actually thought he wasn’t that bad.

He may well have been vilified because of father but that wasn’t always justified.

I would have liked to have seen Warnock or Holloway but I wasn’t disappointed to spy LJ next to SL all those months ago at Charlton.

Will your prediction of gloom happen? Will it bollocks.

Out of interest what were you posting after we beat Man Utd?

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Make sure Rodolph isn't there before you :whistle:

Didn’t get me seeds in Muriel in the end. Rain stopped play.

Might have a go later as it’s sunny and I don’t fancy the Independent Market today. Too many hipster birds with beards buying galvanised feeding troughs.

Muriel I’m coming later ;)

On 31/03/2018 at 08:33, cidered abroad said:

LJ is tactically naive. It smacks more of how a team of eight year olds would play in the park, than a well paid professional club at the top end of the Championship.

Where has all the inventive attacking game that we had before Christmas gone? We have now become so predictable.Why when we're chasing the game does he keep pulling Reid, our highest goal scorer, back into midfield?

We are so dependent on four players to score. Tammy, Bobby, Flint and Bryan. Our midfield is a barren area. We never see them with late runs into the box that catch defenders unaware. Brownhill chips in occasionally but what do the rest contribute to attacks - all too predictable.

What a waste of another season where some of us dared to dream.

Imo Reid's head is gone..hasn't looked focussed for some while......wonder if he has had 'ees head turned??

Would bench him on Monday..

Archived