IGNORED

Johnson's Roy of the Rovers substitutions

Major Isewater

31 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Who on earth would you play instead of Reid?

Quite. It's one thing for the usual whipping boys to get it in the neck but once Bobby starts to get criticised for an alleged lack of focus we have surely reached peak OTIB.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:00, BanburyRed said:

I'm all for being bold and positive and for that LJ should be applauded but the somewhat bizarre substitutions yesterday and the change in formation didn't really make any desired impacts.

You can argue that Joe was more advanced for the cross that led to Josh's equaliser but it's not like he or Eros were making lung busting over lapping runs when we changed to 3-5-2.

Fammy should've come off and allowed Bobby to go up top with Milan, to buzz in and around and feed off any flick ons etc but that became all too easy for their defence which to their credit dealt with any City attacking threat quite comfortably, but we didn't threaten enough or with enough purpose or desire.

Too many bobbly passes and side foot looping passes that put the receiver in difficulty instead of the crisp one touch fizzing passes. We can't blame the pitch because Barnsley played well enough (oxymoron?!) to create a host of chances whereas we simply didn't.

Marlon looked increasingly frustrated in the game the longer it went (until subbed), due to lack of movement and options from both Bobby & Fammy, and Korey looked off the pace somewhat, no crunching tackles to set the tone for midfield battle. That said, their Luke Ayling lookalike in midfield was their best player until he went off and we didn't deal with him at all.

Whether it's a rigid 4-4-2 or a more flexible 3-5-2 or 4-3-3, we have to find a way (more consistently) to out think and outwit teams who want to stifle our pattern of play. Which Barnsley did with simple balls over the top to avoid midfield and their blatant and petty falling over at every opportunity.

City do not have  at this point a consistent pattern and patterns of play. The way the team was playing at is best was consistent 4-4-1-1 shape that encouraged passing football. The loans,, subs and tactical change have moved the team away from that style. It is styles week to week. All good if you genuinely have players who can adapt easily.

The poster makes a point about change. Mine would be improvement does not have to  be kicking it longer to players who are bigger or putting on a kid who plays like one from the playground, it can be looking at how to retain that former style keep the ball better, and move it more fluidly. Possession = opportunity = If you are patient and can secure it.

Banging it longer is not outwitting teams.

38 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quite. It's one thing for the usual whipping boys to get it in the neck but once Bobby starts to get criticised for an alleged lack of focus we have surely reached peak OTIB.

When even Korey Smith gets a thread asking what's wrong with him after an iffy couple of games, as was the case recently, you realise that nobody is spared.

4 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

We all see things differently. I can’t remember him being booed at many games and I actually thought he wasn’t that bad.

He may well have been vilified because of father but that wasn’t always justified.

I would have liked to have seen Warnock or Holloway but I wasn’t disappointed to spy LJ next to SL all those months ago at Charlton.

Will your prediction of gloom happen? Will it bollocks.

Out of interest what were you posting after we beat Man Utd?

Man Utd was a one off. Great night. Great story. It's the league that matters. And since Jan we've been dire. We weren't electrifying before that either 

40 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Man Utd was a one off. Great night. Great story. It's the league that matters. And since Jan we've been dire. We weren't electrifying before that either 

We were second in the league! We were as close to being as ‘electrifying’ as we’ve been for 40 years. 

Also dire could be used for our form last season before we escaped but not since January, we’ve tailed off and been poor in a lot of those games but dire would intimate a catastrophic decline. 

21 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

We were second in the league! We were as close to being as ‘electrifying’ as we’ve been for 40 years. 

Also dire could be used for our form last season before we escaped but not since January, we’ve tailed off and been poor in a lot of those games but dire would intimate a catastrophic decline. 

Yes we were second but I'll list the games where we looked a cut above...Barnsley H, Derby H, Fulham A, Sheff W H

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So the season ticket increases, that have caused so much irritation and discussion, weren’t instigated to fund big signings then? We are just looking to sign lads from other academies or bring our own through? That will be relatively cheap. And you think we’ve got to wait another three seasons to see SLs strategy bear fruit?

When he was appointed LJ clearly stated that he needed three transfer windows to get it right....not three seasons....and those windows have come and gone....yet if anyone dares criticise him or judge him on those three windows they get jumped on by some posters on here with unhelpful replies such as ‘stop embarrassing yourself’ etc...

Oh well I’ve followed City for well over 40 years with nothing to really shout about, except the great four seasons in the top tier, so I suppose I’ll just have to wait another three years...and when nothing happens then I look forward to similar dismal PR sound bites from the club.....but at least we are “three fifths of the way there”!!

Text book speak gets you nowhere....proven managers do get you somewhere....

Do you really think the season ticket increases are to fund a load of new signings?

If we get around the 13k that had full STs last season then £75 extra PER ticket would give us £1M. I doubt the average increase is that much so probaly less.

Hardly going to fund an influx of top players is it. More about reducing the ongoing losses I would suggest.

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Yes we were second but I'll list the games where we looked a cut above...Barnsley H, Derby H, Fulham A, Sheff W H

Most teams do not hit top form in most games. It might happen 10 times a season. You may still drop points in games when you have been on top form as you are not in control of all the variables.

So you need to gather the majority of your points when you are less than electrifying. Some of them have to come from games when you play downright badly.

If you are hoping for electrifying in even a majority of games, let alone all of them, you are going to be disappointed I fear.

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Yes. But what did you post then? Or after Man City away? And then at home?

Were you struggling to find something to say?

Just that you seem to relish in rubbishing LJ when things aren’t going well. Was you a booer in his playing days too?

Archived