IGNORED

Johnson's Roy of the Rovers substitutions

Major Isewater

14 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Lee Johnson was not an ineffective midfielder, he was influential in keeping the team passing the ball rather than hoofing it. It was no coincidence that when he missed the last five or so games of the play off final system , that our form collapsed and we missed out on automatic promotion..

He was something like what I would class as a 'continuity midfielder'...keep it simple, keep it ticking over.

Not the glamorous, but an increasingly important role in the modern game.

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Agreed

Having said that though- playing a continuity midfielder in a 4-4-2, or a midfield 2 of whatever kind can leave you exposed.

You would get the optimum out of them with a 3rd central midfielder- not his fault that 4-4-2 or playing with 2 central mids was more prevalent at this time!

The common theme for some of our more lacklustre games has been the inability to get the midfield going. Teams have learnt to hustle us and pressurise and we have nothing more to offer. Partly we have played into that by having Paterson drift around as part of the midfield rather than as part of a front 2 with Bobby Reid, since Diedhoui returned.

When making subs, Paterson and Diedhoui would be my main thoughts to replace. Both still tire in the last quarter. Play Djuric & Reid together. Bring on Kelly & move Bryan forward. We become more solid, plus Joe can put in decent crosses. If O'Dowda is close to fitness bring him on instead in front of Joe for even more attacking intent.

What I would definitely not do is drop Bobby Reid back into a central midfield 2 with Korey Smith or Pack. We know from experience over a number of seasons that he is not strong enough there and from this season that he is exceptional when he is playing further forward & mostly relieved of defensive duties. 

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

And what’s the opinion if we’re 1-0 or 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go with Djuric & Diony on the bench, would you prefer him to carry on with the same formation & just swap Djuric & Diony for Reid & Diedhiou, leaving us playing the same formation / style as to what has got us 1-0 / 2-1 down?

With limited time left, surely by putting another striker on to join the ones already on the pitch means that he is changing things & trying to rescue the game? At a goal down with limited time left there is little to lose but by changing our formation & style of play it means the opposition have to change to hold on to their 3 points, which is probably what they’ve been doing for the last 10 minutes or so anyway.

LJ is damned if he does or damned if he doesn’t, if he did like for like substitutions people would moan that we needed to chase the game or at least change it, if he changes things to try & rescue things, he’s in the wrong again.

It was making the change at 1-1 away from home that worried me. Losing with 10 minutes to go then yes all bets are off, chuck on the big men and launch it.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Walsh have not brought something different to the midfield?

Why sign a decent young player and just bench him?? Barely play him, I mean- what's the point.

He's young and LJ obviously didn't feel it worth risking him because of his inexperience of the Championship. He'll hopefully become a useful addition in the engine room next season.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was something like what I would class as a 'continuity midfielder'...keep it simple, keep it ticking over.

Not the glamorous, but an increasingly important role in the modern game.

Played about a dozen games for anyone other than his dad. A shit footballer. Not that that has anything to do with his coaching credentials.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's young and LJ obviously didn't feel it worth risking him because of his inexperience of the Championship. He'll hopefully become a useful addition in the engine room next season.

But he’ll still be inexperienced next season if we don’t ‘risk him’ and play him now....why do we sign so many players for significant fees and just leave them on the bench or send them out to play for other clubs?! Frustrating....

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Played about a dozen games for anyone other than his dad. A shit footballer. Not that that has anything to do with his coaching credentials.

Played around 100 games for managers other than his Dad....Terry Skiverton at Yeovil, Steve Coppell/Keith Millen at City and spells at Hearts, Chesterfield and Kilmarnock....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But he’ll still be inexperienced next season if we don’t ‘risk him’ and play him now....why do we sign so many players for significant fees and just leave them on the bench or send them out to play for other clubs?! Frustrating....

It's all about developing younger players as per SLs philosophy and strategy of signing lads from from our own or other academies which previous managers had failed to do. 

The idea being that over time City will have a team made up of several home grown players. Clearly this long term strategy will take time to bear fruit and so far its early days but maybe in two or three seasons we'll see it starting happen.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's all about developing younger players as per SLs philosophy and strategy of signing lads from from our own or other academies which previous managers had failed to do. 

The idea being that over time City will have a team made up of several home grown players. Clearly this long term strategy will take time to bear fruit and so far its early days but maybe in two or three seasons we'll see it starting happen.

So the season ticket increases, that have caused so much irritation and discussion, weren’t instigated to fund big signings then? We are just looking to sign lads from other academies or bring our own through? That will be relatively cheap. And you think we’ve got to wait another three seasons to see SLs strategy bear fruit?

When he was appointed LJ clearly stated that he needed three transfer windows to get it right....not three seasons....and those windows have come and gone....yet if anyone dares criticise him or judge him on those three windows they get jumped on by some posters on here with unhelpful replies such as ‘stop embarrassing yourself’ etc...

Oh well I’ve followed City for well over 40 years with nothing to really shout about, except the great four seasons in the top tier, so I suppose I’ll just have to wait another three years...and when nothing happens then I look forward to similar dismal PR sound bites from the club.....but at least we are “three fifths of the way there”!!

Text book speak gets you nowhere....proven managers do get you somewhere....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So the season ticket increases, that have caused so much irritation and discussion, weren’t instigated to fund big signings then? We are just looking to sign lads from other academies or bring our own through? That will be relatively cheap. And you think we’ve got to wait another three seasons to see SLs strategy bear fruit?

When he was appointed LJ clearly stated that he needed three transfer windows to get it right....not three seasons....and those windows have come and gone....yet if anyone dares criticise him or judge him on those three windows they get jumped on by some posters on here with unhelpful replies such as ‘stop embarrassing yourself’ etc...

Oh well I’ve followed City for well over 40 years with nothing to really shout about, except the great four seasons in the top tier, so I suppose I’ll just have to wait another three years...and when nothing happens then I look forward to similar dismal PR sound bites from the club.....but at least we are “three fifths of the way there”!!

LJ said he needed 3 transfer windows to get the team playing how he wanted. Which he’s achieved to a degree.

Proven managers such as who? Pulis?

1 minute ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

This isn't true. It has always been popular to question LJ and always will be. No matter what he does right or wrong, the fans don't like him.

Absolutely. I've seen this 'people who think Johnson can't be questioned/can do no wrong' trotted out by a few posters in the last day or so and I honestly don't see more than a tiny handful of posters with that attitude.

There are a lot more at the other end of the scale.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Almost every Championship club have put their SC prices up. However, the way City went about was as diabolical as it was arrogant.

* What LJ has done is completely transform City's style of play - his high press, high tempo style. To do that he needed players capable of doing it - hence the three windows. 

Oh well I’ve followed City for well over 40 years with nothing to really shout about, except the great four seasons in the top tier, so I suppose I’ll just have to wait another three years...and when nothing happens then I look forward to similar dismal PR sound bites from the club.....but at least we are “three fifths of the way there”!!I

* Not quite as long as me then........but surely you can agree that the club is currently as healthy as it's ever been? 

* Do they? If a proven manager can achieve wherever he goes he's a real special coach.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Steve Bruce - four promotions to the premier league

Neil Warnock - seven (soon to be eight) promotions...

My mistake. But it’s a no from me to both. I don’t know if  LJ is going to be a successful manager or not but I like him and I like how generally we have played  under his tenure and the ethos of the club. As a player he was average, overrated by his dad but underrated by the fans and he’s still suffering from that unfortunately. 

Just now, EmissionImpossible said:

My mistake. But it’s a no from me to both. I don’t know if  LJ is going to be a successful manager or not but I like him and I like how generally we have played  under his tenure and the ethos of the club. As a player he was average, overrated by his dad but underrated by the fans and he’s still suffering from that unfortunately. 

I didn’t suggest them as managers of our club in that post, you just asked for examples of proven managers - and those two are very proven at this level...

As it happens Bruce ended tonight's game with Snodgrass, Hogan, Kodjia and Grabban on the pitch.

A bit gung ho too then.

From Villa forum:

Bruce is a great manager when we are on form. But he struggles when we are not, as shown by throwing all strikers on. I like him but, we need more ideas from him than just putting all the goalscorers on.

Sounds familiar.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

It was making the change at 1-1 away from home that worried me. Losing with 10 minutes to go then yes all bets are off, chuck on the big men and launch it.

I guess that’s what he’s paid for, to make the decisions where he thinks someone else might better affect the game. Or maybe the player(s) in question had a knock / injury & with another game on Monday, he thought it better to bring the player(s) off to give him the best chance to use them on Monday?

There are more things to consider than just what is happening at that moment in time, especially when there is another just as crucial game coming up in a couple of days time.

LJ see’s these players everyday in training & is in a better position to decide who is ready to do what for us & we’ve made a remarkable transition from last season & are still well in with a chance of the play-offs which not even the most optimistic of fans could of dreamed of during the summer.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like Steve Bruce, you mean?

Like Pulis, you mean?

Bruce... Or Nuno?

Pulis and LJ, level on points.

No guarantees, whatsoever.

Warnock I will give you, Cardiff overachieving big time.

Steve Bruce - 4 promotions from the championship to the Premier League in just 9 seasons at this level...I have never described Pulis as proven at this level...

Warnock - 7 (soon to be 8) promotions...

If you read previous posts on this thread, those were the two I described as proven...

12 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

I'd rather stay in the Championship than sully the club. 

You’d rather stay in the championship than go up you mean. That’s fine, I’ve posted on here previously that the holy grail of the premier league isn’t all it’s cracked up to be to me. I’m quite happy in the championship for now. I was asked to give examples of proven managers at this level by another poster, so I mentioned Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Steve Bruce - 4 promotions from the championship to the Premier League in just 9 seasons at this level...I have never described Pulis as proven at this level...

Warnock - 7 (soon to be 8) promotions...

If you read previous posts on this thread, those were the two I described as proven...

Okay, Warnock yeah. 

Bruce though... Hmmm. Look at his record since they hammered Wolves. Unconvinced Villa will go up, aging squad too.

Back in August, who would you take as more likely to go up... Nuno, or Bruce. My guess is a lot of people would have said Bruce. 'Names'- be they managers or players- are only as good as what they produce. No more, no less.

My point to you, is that there are no guarantees at all. Who is to say Bruce or Warnock, would be doing any better with us currently.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’d rather stay in the championship than go up you mean. That’s fine, I’ve posted on here previously that the holy grail of the premier league isn’t all it’s cracked up to be to me. I’m quite happy in the championship for now. I was asked to give examples of proven managers at this level by another poster, so I mentioned Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock...

I'd rather go up with Johnson, you're right the Champ is a great league but its not Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal. We need to be in the PL.  Both are good managers, can't argue there. 

1 hour ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

This isn't true. It has always been popular to question LJ and always will be. No matter what he does right or wrong, the fans don't like him.

My own opinion is that I thought his cv was far too light to get a championship job and I think it’s fair to say his relationship with the board got his foot in the door at City.  When he arrived he continued the momentum and kept us up in his first season, lost the plot in his second and then won me round first half this season.  Now I’m hurtling at speed back to where I was last year.  Its all about progression on the pitch and we are in danger of undoing all the positives from H1with me slipping back into thinking he’s clueless which on a personal front, isn’t where I want to be.  Given the type of football I’ve watched for 3 months and a chunk of his 2 years, I’m starting to question whether the good form was a blip and what we are is just a lower to mid table team 2 years into LJ tenure and a squad costing millions.  I’ve said before that I understand SL wants a self sufficient club and that’s his right as owner so I’m behind the long term goal.  The trouble is, I’m back to starting to doubt whether LJ is the man to see through this vision but let’s see how the season plays out.

Archived