IGNORED

Time to beat Brentford

barneyrubble

We're due a win against the mighty bees, need to get positive and go out and play our game and not let the opposition dictate our tactics.Would much prefer we had a right go and see what happens than try to get too technical. Start with duric Fammy and Bobby as front three they certainly wouldn't expect it.

COYR

21 minutes ago, Barney red said:

We're due a win against the mighty bees, need to get positive and go out and play our game and not let the opposition dictate our tactics.Would much prefer we had a right go and see what happens than try to get too technical. Start with duric Fammy and Bobby as front three they certainly wouldn't expect it.

COYR

That would be suicidal. Brentford are a very dangerous team.

23 minutes ago, Barney red said:

No the Bees certainly wouldn't expect City to start with three up top and neither would anyone else.

I imagine it'll be Fammy and Reid with Djuric on after an hour or so.

The midfield and defence is where LJ could have a selection headache. 

Will Kelly be at LB with Bryan on the left of midfield? and will Flint walk straight back in at CB? 

30 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Might be wrong but over the years they always seem to be one of our ' bogey' teams.

Funny you should pick them out as a bogey team.

I believe the reason is historically they've been big bruisers , it is only recently that they've started to play " football ".

City teams of the past have mostly 

been attractive footballing sides that lose out to those types of teams.

Now the Bees play nice football we are going to beat them today .

COYR.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No the Bees certainly wouldn't expect City to start with three up top and neither would anyone else.

Will Kelly be at LB with Bryan on the left of midfield? and will Flint walk straight back in at CB? 

I hope Kelly is LB and Bryan LM. Bryan seems to be back to his League 1 self where he doesn’t mind taking on a player. In LM he has more freedom to do so. Plus we all know what kind of delivery he has.

Flint should walk into the side as well, the goals we conceded against Barnsley were embarrassing and the Flint Baker partnership is among the strongest in the league IMO

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I would expect the vast majority of City fans would agree with you (myself included); Kelly in at LB, Bryan LM, Flint/Baker partnership restored, Pato & Wright dropped... but expect "master tactician" LJ to NOT do this... we will see.

22 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I would expect the vast majority of City fans would agree with you (myself included); Kelly in at LB, Bryan LM, Flint/Baker partnership restored, Pato & Wright dropped... but expect "master tactician" LJ to NOT do this... we will see.

Agree, Wright and Paterson are overdue to be left out but they seem to be 2 favourites for LJ, so we shall see.

Flint should be the first name on the team sheet today.

Brentford play a pressing game similar to ours but whenever we play them, they seem to execute it much better than we do. Think we're in for a long, difficult afternoon on recent form. If we are out of sorts like we were at Barnsley, they will take us to the cleaners.

38 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Bottom line - LJ with his assistants decide on the match day squad but LJ makes the final call. All of them are qualified coaches and are better placed than us fans to pick the team. They see the players in training and know where they are mentally and physically and we fans don't have that inside information.

I doubt very much that Kelly will start at LB with Bryan in front of him. It's late in the season to be trying something different especially with being in with a good chance of a pray off spot. 

If Kelly had impressed earlier in the season LJ might well of tried that left sided combination to see how effective it might of been.

22 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Brentford play a pressing game similar to ours but whenever we play them, they seem to execute it much better than we do. Think we're in for a long, difficult afternoon on recent form. If we are out of sorts like we were at Barnsley, they will take us to the cleaners.

Sadly true, expecting defeat today, although hoping for 3 points to keep our fading play-off hopes alive.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bottom line - LJ with his assistants decide on the match day squad but LJ makes the final call. All of them are qualified coaches and are better placed than us fans to pick the team. They see the players in training and know where they are mentally and physically and we fans don't have that inside information.

I doubt very much that Kelly will start at LB with Bryan in front of him. It's late in the season to be trying something different especially with being in with a good chance of a pray off spot. 

If Kelly had impressed earlier in the season LJ might well of tried that left sided combination to see how effective it might of been.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Brownhill Smith and Pack CM’s and Pato behind Bobby and Diedhiou. 

Try and nullify any threat through the middle and force them into wide areas. With Flint and Baker at CB they shouldn’t be winning any headers. 

To conquer the high press you need quick triangles to bring them out of position. IMO playing wide against them will play into their hands

4 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Brownhill Smith and Pack CM’s and Pato behind Bobby and Diedhiou. 

That's probably what we'll see, assuming Pato is fit. They're all trusted first team regulars so why rock the boat unless there's no choice.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's probably what we'll see, assuming Pato is fit. They're all trusted first team regulars so why rock the boat unless there's no choice.

I agree.  It’s time to stick with the regulars and hope they remember how they were playing pre Christmas.  Pato has flattered to deceive for a while now and owes himself and us a good game.  He is so important to how we click as a creative force and brilliant when confident.  We need him back to his best for the run in as there’s no one in the squad similar or good enough to replace him.

58 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Have seen Brentford play a few times this season AND they play good football. They were in a false position in the table early season. I expect a close game and we need to be on the game from the start. LJ needs to get his tactics right as Brentford will play a pressing game usually. BIG test today IMO.

A win - we are back in it.

A loss - well OTIB will be in meltdown.

Need to try and get a hold of midfield today, they are without Ryan Woods who is probably their best player due to suspension, without him their midfield isn't anywhere near as strong so we need to use that to our advantage.

I'd start with this team:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Kelly

Smith Brownhill Pack

Kent Reid Eliasson

That will give us a good enough midfield in order to get control of the game whilst using the pace of Kent and Eliasson to give Reid support. Fancy Kelly over Joe as well to be honest

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Flint should be the first name on the team sheet today.

Very harsh on Fielding :P

I know LJ wants to shoehorn Flint, Baker and Wright in, but that’s extreme!

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

...and yet they make some strange decisions.  I like it when I hear Lee go through his team selection, and it’s done positively.  I’ve heard a couple more recently when he doesn’t sound as if he’s confident in his selection.

30 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

On their forum they are saying that Woods being suspended is going to cause them problems as he`s been their best player of late.

Very good little player, makes them tick.  Big loss, but Sawyers back from 1 game ban.  We cannot allow him time and space on the ball.  Reminds me of Shelvey in his footballing ability and languid style.  Dangerous.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Need to try and get a hold of midfield today, they are without Ryan Woods who is probably their best player due to suspension, without him their midfield isn't anywhere near as strong so we need to use that to our advantage.

I'd start with this team:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Kelly

Smith Brownhill Pack

Kent Reid Eliasson

That will give us a good enough midfield in order to get control of the game whilst using the pace of Kent and Eliasson to give Reid support. Fancy Kelly over Joe as well to be honest

Is that a 451 without the ball?  Swap over Eliasson with Kent, and then Kent with Bryan and I wouldn’t mind that.

I might be tempted to make it a more 4141, with Pack holding, and licence for full-back to try to get overloads on their wide positions.

Tough to leave Diedhiou out, but can easily go with double big-guns in Djúric and Diedhiou should we need to.  I don’t want to see Bobby in midfield though!  Play 3 up top if need be.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Is that a 451 without the ball?  Swap over Eliasson with Kent, and then Kent with Bryan and I wouldn’t mind that.

I might be tempted to make it a more 4141, with Pack holding, and licence for full-back to try to get overloads on their wide positions.

Tough to leave Diedhiou out, but can easily go with double big-guns in Djúric and Diedhiou should we need to.  I don’t want to see Bobby in midfield though!  Play 3 up top if need be.

Yeh 4-5-1 without it, thought about putting bryan in for kent but Eliasson isn't as good on the right I wouldn't say and I don't think Joe is as strong as a winger as Kent.

Kent needs a start so we can fully see what he can do and against a Brentford side who don't have the best defensive record it's a good opportunity.

I think Pack can fill into that holding midfield role if required, I'd say he's better there picking up the ball and spraying passes out than he is pushing forward.

It is harsh on Diedhiou but I think we lose our free flowing football with him in the team, this team will match Brentford better and in my opinion we can pass any team bar probably Wolves and Fulham off the park when we get our game going.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Their recent form is worse than ours. Nil desperandum! :chant6ez:

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd say because Paterson has offered very little for some time now.

When he's anywhere near his best he's a great asset, when he falls below it he quickly becomes a weak link and imo. a more decisive manager would have taken action before now for the benefit of the player and the team.

It wouldn't be good to think LJ has favourites who he finds it almost impossible to leave out, and let's hope he proves today that's not the case.

We always seem to struggle against Brentford (although I do remember us winning 4-1 at their place in the late 1990s - the only time I've seen us win there). 

I'd like to see the Flint/Baker partnership restored in central defence with Kelly at left back and Bryan pushed up to left midfield. That would mean dropping Paterson to the bench or putting him in the hole behind Reid at the expense of Diedhiou. Based on current form the former would probably be best.

Archived