IGNORED

Time to beat Brentford

barneyrubble

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very harsh on Fielding :P

I know LJ wants to shoehorn Flint, Baker and Wright in, but that’s extreme!

It'll be mystifying if he tries to shoehorn Wright in today, he's clearly been massively below par recently.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Bottom line - LJ with his assistants decide on the match day squad but LJ makes the final call. All of them are qualified coaches and are better placed than us fans to pick the team. They see the players in training and know where they are mentally and physically and we fans don't have that inside information.

I doubt very much that Kelly will start at LB with Bryan in front of him. It's late in the season to be trying something different especially with being in with a good chance of a pray off spot. 

If Kelly had impressed earlier in the season LJ might well of tried that left sided combination to see how effective it might of been.

That's fine, but if Bryan starts at left back, then Paterson is likely to be in front of him in left midfield. Paterson is a far better number ten and has suffered since the return of Diedhiou. Kelly is a more than capable full-back and did impress against Burton and Ipswich and should be one of the "fresh legs" that LJ referred to post-match at Barnsley. You say it's too late to be trying something different, I say we need to be braver, or the top six will be out of reach. 

7 minutes ago, Offside said:

We always seem to struggle against Brentford (although I do remember us winning 4-1 at their place in the late 1990s - the only time I've seen us win there). 

I'd like to see the Flint/Baker partnership restored in central defence with Kelly at left back and Bryan pushed up to left midfield. That would mean dropping Paterson to the bench or putting him in the hole behind Reid at the expense of Diedhiou. Based on current form the former would probably be best.

Lita very late double at Griffin Park for a 2-1 win. GJ's first game, 3-1 win.

Had some great trips to Brentford, but you're right more often than not a disappointing result.

3 hours ago, Barney red said:

We're due a win against the mighty bees, need to get positive and go out and play our game and not let the opposition dictate our tactics.Would much prefer we had a right go and see what happens than try to get too technical. Start with duric Fammy and Bobby as front three they certainly wouldn't expect it.

COYR

I'd like to see O'Neil start today. He's tweeted today how buzzing he is to be 100 percent fit again and back to playing footy. 

Just now, Cheesleysmate said:

Brentford are such a massive club mind, it’s easy to see why we would struggle to compete.

Always been an annoying bogey side. However isn't everyone a bogey side for us. I guess shows how poor we've been over the years. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Funny you should pick them out as a bogey team.

I believe the reason is historically they've been big bruisers , it is only recently that they've started to play " football ".

City teams of the past have mostly 

been attractive footballing sides that lose out to those types of teams.

Now the Bees play nice football we are going to beat them today .

COYR.

I go back to when Martin Allen was there boss. Seemed to have the better of us and in the play offs.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'd say because Paterson has offered very little for some time now.

When he's anywhere near his best he's a great asset, when he falls below it he quickly becomes a weak link and imo. a more decisive manager would have taken action before now for the benefit of the player and the team.

It wouldn't be good to think LJ has favourites who he finds it almost impossible to leave out, and let's hope he proves today that's not the case.

I certainly agree about Pato and he could easily be on the bench but who does LJ trust enough to replace him?  

7 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I'd like to see O'Neil start today. He's tweeted today how buzzing he is to be 100 percent fit again and back to playing footy. 

Shame we haven’t seen enough of him in his two years.  If I was Liam Walsh, I’d be disappointed if O’Neil got a start ahead of me...but LJ needs to make tough calls with 7 games to go.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Funny you should pick them out as a bogey team.

I believe the reason is historically they've been big bruisers , it is only recently that they've started to play " football ".

City teams of the past have mostly 

been attractive footballing sides that lose out to those types of teams.

Now the Bees play nice football we are going to beat them today .

COYR.

I’m sure that’s a myth believed by most supporters of most teams - ie that they play proper football but get bullied by other tougher teams. It’s a comforting generalisation, as they so often are.

Reading opposition forums this season, we are often described as a big, hard, bullying, time wasting bunch of cheats who have bought the ref. As indeed they are described by us! It just depends who gets the points.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Sadly true, expecting defeat today, although hoping for 3 points to keep our fading play-off hopes alive.

Fading? FADING?! We are level on points with 5th. We have won our last two home games and are unbeaten in five at home. Brentford have won once in their last 6 games. There are two play off places up for grabs and only one of our rivals are winning consistently.

We are right in the mix - would it kill you to say it?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just seen Ryan Woods sending off....very harsh.

Cancel that, just seen the initial slap....can’t raise your hands.

The other "good" news is that Sheff Utd will be without Blackman in goal for at least 1 game as well, which may affect them as much as the loss of Woods does Brentford. That said the Bees still have some good creative attacking players in Watkins & Sawyers, so we really need to be at our best today. 

The real question is whether or not LJ picks players he seems to trust (favour) e.g. Paterson & Wright, or ones who are actually on form, e.g.  Kelly. Much though I understand that Paterson is the tricky player who does the unexpected & makes space for Bobby to get in on goal, he has been one of the players with the biggest dips in form since Christmas. Whether he still hasn't recovered from the illness that kept him out I am not sure, but he certainly hasn't been the same player as the one who scored that stunner at Bramall Lane in December, which by coincidence is of course our last away win. 

Kelly at LB & Joe in LM would seem a much stronger and more secure left side, and certainly what I would plan to play against Millwall away. Also gives us 2 players willing to come forward & make decent crosses for Diedhoui or Djuric, as per our goal against Ipswich.

Archived