IGNORED

Bristol City v Brentford Match Day Thread 40 (Joint Effort - Merged)

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I know I’m always banging on about bigger picture, but irrespective of broader progress as a club that was simply appalling today. I paid nearly £30 to watch that, travelled nearly an hour to get here and gave up a day with my wife and kids.

An unacceptable return on my investment.

Was thinking about driving down last night. So glad I didn’t bother. Bristol Sport could do a good PR job and refund the ticket cost to everyone who went today. The fans turned up and spent their cash, and watched an 11vs 11 pre-season attack vs defence game.

3 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

Can’t wait for the egg on the face and humble pie by some people on here...

Humble Pie 

Hmmmmm

Enjoy yours 

And wipe the omelette that’s covering your face

Abysmal selection

Abysmal performance and a result that’s been coming for weeks

Time for a few to smell the coffeer

Undeniably terrible result and performance. Johnson perhaps out of his depth however and remarkably it's stil only 1 point that separates us from 6th so next week is like a cup final, loose and we are obviously out of the playoff chase somehow win and everything changes and we are in with a shout. Players and management have got to able to motivate them selves for that, if they can't they don't deserve the shirt. 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I know I’m always banging on about bigger picture, but irrespective of broader progress as a club that was simply appalling today. I paid nearly £30 to watch that, travelled nearly an hour to get here and gave up a day with my wife and kids.

An unacceptable return on my investment.

Fans like you need to be addressed directly by LJ and the board and receive an apology, for starters. If it was my business I would actually give you your money back and your travel costs. 

I think the worrying aspect with this performance which suggests there is something wrong in the dressing room, again, is that whatever was said at half time had no effect for the second half; in fact it only got worse. That should be of enormous concern. 

2 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

But that team has been picked by a man whose lost it. The issues look much deeper rooted than just changing the team however.

You may be right but I don't think that invalidates my point about fans getting what they ask for then saying the opposite.

By no means unique to us mind you.

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not there but haven't said anything about today's performance, so me being there or not has absolutely no bearing on what I said.

Again, not there today so will not comment on today's performance until I have watched the game.

Like BBSB you have totally missed what I was saying, but this is OTIB, so it's to be expected.

Today was indefensible James and the signs have been coming for months despite all the excuses from some

Everyone with an ounce of football knowledge could see the team selection was wrong. He didn't have the bottle to admit that after the game started and make changes. This was so bad there  must be a problem in the dressing room. Already I worry about next season.

the January window was a shambles, always looking to the future instead of the now. We had an opportunity to bring in some experienced championship players to help our knackered squad but we brought in kids who simply aren't up to standard and probably never will be.

so frustrating when we were so close. 

Just now, Icelandic Clap said:

Not a happy clapper by any means but you’re always spouting conspiracy theories why we are performing poorly.

In your opinion why are BS hobbling the club? What would you do better??

I have gone through this at length on many a previous occasion and don't feel up to it after today's performance.

As for conspiracy theories that isn't something I have engaged in.

I will answer with just two points

1. I worry how BS can be unraveled to save City when Lansdowns pack it in, as they will as all owners do

2. I cannot see any other explanation for team's implosion other than something is seriously wrong behind the scenes.  A team that can be as good as they were in first half of season doesn't deteriorate into this so quickly and so fully. Talksport even raised the question of whether they wanted to win.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's not a myth because people are trying to defend him today FFS.

Friday he got away with a shite performance and today he never, 3 wins in 18 games is truly not good enough but there are always excuses, sometimes he has to accept the blame and his glee club have accept that today and several of the other 15 games games we have failed to win he has not for the first time been found wanting.

It is a myth FFS

He has come in for a tonne of criticism today, someone defending him doesnt suddenly make the other posts not happen.

To say Johnson doesn't get criticism is an outright lie.

Just now, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Absolutely it doesn't. I just hope managers don't ever listen to it. 

Agreed, never do what the fans tell you to, it almost always makes matters worse.

I rather liked Mick basically telling Ipswich fans to do one. :laughcont:

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It is a myth FFS

He has come in for a tonne of criticism today, someone defending him doesnt suddenly make the other posts not happen.

To say Johnson doesn't get criticism is an outright lie.

I am saying the people who constantly defend him are still defending him today, my 'he who is beyond criticism' is obviously aimed at them.

PS:- You never watched the game but managed to come with an excuse.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am saying the people who constantly defend him are still defending him today, my 'he who is beyond criticism' is obviously aimed at them.

And yet many of those have commented on this thread criticising.

Maybe you want every single poster who has ever signed up to OTIB to say Johnson is completely and utterly useless before you acknowledge it :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I have gone through this at length on many a previous occasion and don't feel up to it after today's performance.

As for conspiracy theories that isn't something I have engaged in.

I will answer with just two points

1. I worry how BS can be unraveled to save City when Lansdowns pack it in, as they will as all owners do

2. I cannot see any other explanation for team's implosion other than something is seriously wrong behind the scenes.  A team that can be as good as they were in first half of season doesn't deteriorate into this so quickly and so fully. Talksport even raised the question of whether they wanted to win.

Your conspiracy theories are your gossip of ‘something isn’t right at the club’. 

BS looks like it’s set up to continue after the Lansdowns go unless we receive a foreign investor (for example) who may do a root and branch change. Good or bad for the club you just don’t know as it’s hypothetical. 

With the team’s ‘implosion’ it’s not like last year where 8 were lost on the bounce. We’ve lost some leads and drawn games we should’ve won for sure. I see it more as a team that’s dwindled down after a red hot start to the season, almost like Boro or Villa in reverse. They started off badly by their standards and are now picking up.

If there is an issue then maybe blame the players for allowing publicity to go to their heads, yes maybe you can put some blame on Johnson for not keeping a lid on it but ultimately if a player decides they’re now Bertie big time then that’s their issue and hopefully Lee will ship them out in the summer for someone who will knuckle down and keep up their performance. 

If this occurs again next season (either a repeat of last year god forbid/or this years good start diminished finish) then questions should rightfully be pointed at the boss. Until then we are building a squad that can challenge and be in a position to dominate in a Wolves-type fixture and drive on. 

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

And yet many of those have commented on this thread criticising.

Maybe you want every single poster who has ever signed up to OTIB to say Johnson is completely and utterly useless before you acknowledge it :dunno:

Criticising the performance only.

What I want is to be able to criticise without excuses being peddled out every week over the past almost 4 months, as I belatedly added to my post even you managed to concoct an excuse and you never saw the game.

Leave the excuses to LJ he is getting really good at them.

Well played Brentford, some great football - not much opposition from BCFC, granted - and you deserved to win by at least 6.

City, complete crap - no effort, desire, style of play, excitement or shots. Disgraceful and infuriating.

Lee Johnson - weird team selection, no clue how to influence a game positively,  no identity to his team's football, and the team played with zero passion, desire or understanding.

I hope we'll be put out of our misery regarding the play offs asap, we're far too erratic, inconsistent and frustrating and teams who play as dreadfully as City did today don't deserve to be in them.

1 minute ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Your conspiracy theories are your gossip of ‘something isn’t right at the club’. 

BS looks like it’s set up to continue after the Lansdowns go unless we receive a foreign investor (for example) who may do a root and branch change. Good or bad for the club you just don’t know as it’s hypothetical. 

With the team’s ‘implosion’ it’s not like last year where 8 were lost on the bounce. We’ve lost some leads and drawn games we should’ve won for sure. I see it more as a team that’s dwindled down after a red hot start to the season, almost like Boro or Villa in reverse. They started off badly by their standards and are now picking up.

If there is an issue then maybe blame the players for allowing publicity to go to their heads, yes maybe you can put some blame on Johnson for not keeping a lid on it but ultimately if a player decides they’re now Bertie big time then that’s their issue and hopefully Lee will ship them out in the summer for someone who will knuckle down and keep up their performance. 

If this occurs again next season (either a repeat of last year god forbid/or this years good start diminished finish) then questions should rightfully be pointed at the boss. Until then we are building a squad that can challenge and be in a position to dominate in a Wolves-type fixture and drive on. 

I think we will just have to disagree, the gap between our views is as wide as the Atlantic.  Although your final paragraph gives me hope that at least on the question of the Head Coach yours and my views are simply a question of months apart.

I was in the LJ should stay camp last season. I (we) were rewarded with avoiding relegation, a good first half of the season, a cup run like we haven't had for years... and now this (again). I don't know if players want to leave. I have no inside information. What I do know i that LJ has a very good record of being in charge during elongated slumps, and maybe it's about time Mark Ashton was charged with looking and sounding out a replacement. For my own part, i wouldn't be averse to Mick McCarthy being head honcho at AG

Well you have to say if we play that at Millwall we will get a rough day at the office. Season is better than last as we are not in a relegation battle. We will probably still finish top 10 which is progress. Next season need to learn consistency if any promotion dreams are desired.

Talk at the ground today was LJ has fallen out with Baker and Pack, for having an opinion. Deja vu on that front. Lets return to that topic post season . There is still a playoff place to go for . 

3 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Talk at the ground today was LJ has fallen out with Baker and Pack, for having an opinion. Deja vu on that front. Lets return to that topic post season . There is still a playoff place to go for . 

LJ certainly times his bust ups to perfection does he not. What a charlie.

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I was in the LJ should stay camp last season. I (we) were rewarded with avoiding relegation, a good first half of the season, a cup run like we haven't had for years... and now this (again). I don't know if players want to leave. I have no inside information. What I do know i that LJ has a very good record of being in charge during elongated slumps, and maybe it's about time Mark Ashton was charged with looking and sounding out a replacement. For my own part, i wouldn't be averse to Mick McCarthy being head honcho at AG

There is absolutely no chance of LJ going. He is there for the foreseeable future as MA & SL have stated before. Which means that he has the full backing of the Board etc. The Board like yes men, of which MM (who I like also) is not one!

But MM is 100% honest and tells it as it is - which is what the Board do not want!! 

Only my opinion, but it appears we are lacking a bit of experience at management level currently for the Championship - badly needed as LJ is being found out by other good managers - and well done to Brentford today. An underrated team IMO.

Archived