IGNORED

Credit to Brentford

DaveF

I thought they were really good against a poor opposition . From the centre back constantly controlling and bringing the ball out, through the midfield and the fact they had wide men staying wide and making the pitch big. Better from start to finish, never looked worried and the only criticism is their shooting was shocking. Ref was rank mind.

Good side... Poor finishing, thankfully!

Our setup exacerbated this, but I was expecting a tough game in which we would not necessarily have a lot of possession. Also it was their last last chance to make any late run for 6th, which played a part...still nowhere near good enough by us today though.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

That's how Johnson dreams of getting us to play. Problem is they have technical players throughout their team. We have Flint, wright and baker who are all not technically good for defenders. Fieldings kicking is obviously poor. And we have Diedhiou and djuric who can't link up well deep or in wide areas. So we haven't got in the right players to play that philosophy. 

And that’s my big concern.  3 windows LJ said he needed to get is squad right for the football he wants to play and still there is no way we have the right balance.  Clearly there is zero creativity in that team once Patterson form dipped and no ball playing centre backs either.  It feels like we’ve spent 2 years assembling a squad at considerable cost which doesn’t fit the way LJ wants us to play and despite the outlay a first team which consists of 6 of our promotion squad  Too many games have been played since Christmas where we’ve not been effective as an attacking force. We couldnt keep the pre Christmas intensity going, maybe that’s why others don’t play that way and maybe the high tempo style of play is a contributing factor to some of the injuries we’ve  picked up.  Either way teams have worked us out and there’s no plan B

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tbh I was expecting a decent performance given the incentive of the pray-offs. 

I wonder what the problem is with Pack?  Has he been ill or maybe carrying an injury. He was sorely missed.

No problem with Pack....tactical according to Holden.

49 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Brentford must surely have the highest number of 'shots off target'   all season . . . .thankfully!

Yes, widely seen on Experimental 361’s website.  We got in some last ditch blocks.

Liked the movement and technique of Maupay when he came on.  Did our scouts watch the wrong player at St Etienne?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/neal-maupay/profil/spieler/217115

44 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Either way teams have worked us out and there’s no plan B

Could find a Plan B, if LJ has the wherewithal...mind you, the fact we went into the season with the 'We have worked on this all summer, it's Plan A...or bust' mentality. I highlighted flaws with plan A on here all the way back in August after the second half of Barnsley at home on Day One of the season!!

Funnily enough though,  our most cohesive, fluid period of play, came partly brought about by injuries- Paterson behind Reid, by far our best period tbh.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No problem with Pack....tactical according to Holden.

I'd like to hear the rational behind that. 

It was obvious in the first half how ineffective Kent was with Walsh not much better. Bringing Pack on at ht was surely an option.

Hope you don't mind a visting Bee commenting.  Thank you for all your compliments, and I have to say, we can see it, you can see it, I wish our bosses could see it.  We need a front man.  Hang on to the quality we bring in like Gray or Hogan and we might get a year in top flight plus the parachute payments rather than a quick payday.  

I watched via my ifollow stream for fans living abroad and to be honest I was expecting more from Brizzle today as you've done really well this season and are still up there.  We've dominated like this for much of the season but not created many decent chances.  Today we managed to create some good chances late on, Maupay looking good, but in reply to Davefevs, his movement looked good today but he has a lot of criticism from our fans, much warranted, some unfair so maybe you didn't look at the wrong one.  Time will tell.  He's very on and off and also very liable to react to the smallest niggle.  He can be a liablity at times but as I say, very on and off, today he was on.  

Good luck getting to play offs, I am still blindly hopeful we can sneak in (nothing more stupid than blind loyatly :laugh:).  In all probability, see you next season! 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd like to hear the rational behind that. 

It was obvious in the first half how ineffective Kent was with Walsh not much better. Bringing Pack on at ht was surely an option.

Yep, I was shocked to see Kent start the second half.

Kelly came out early to warm up, with no trackie trousers on, looking like he was coming on (at LB, and push Joe into LM) but it was a "mirage":P

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I was shocked to see Kent start the second half.

Kelly came out early to warm up, with no trackie trousers on, looking like he was coming on (at LB, and push Joe into LM) but it was a "mirage":P

No doubt the tactical decision not to play Pack backfired big time. Seems like a case of worrying too much about the opposition strengths rather than their weaknesses.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt the tactical decision not to play Pack backfired big time. Seems like a case of worrying too much about the opposition strengths rather than their weaknesses.

What about our strengths and weaknesses. At times we looked like an away team, and an away team shortbon confidence at that. We were at home and should have imposed our game onto the opposition. Instead we looked frightened of them and made them look like Barcalona. Shocking, embarrassing and unacceptable. 

Yep full credit to Brentford. 

Three times in just over a year (April 1st 2017 being our game at Griffin Park last season) they have, to misquote Steve Cotterill, 'battered us, absolutely battered us'.

The fact we have a point and only a negative goal difference of 3 from those games is utterly ridiculous as all three games could have been 5/6/7-0.

The larger point I guess is we have seen in three games why they are only where they are in the table. The football they play they should be a lot higher in the table than they are.

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

What about our strengths and weaknesses. At times we looked like an away team, and an away team shortbon confidence at that. We were at home and should have imposed our game onto the opposition. Instead we looked frightened of them and made them look like Barcalona. Shocking, embarrassing and unacceptable. 

Indeed.

Generally, I'm impressed with LJs tactical acumen. He gets it spot on more often than not. Unfortunately today was a 'not' day and a classic case over overthinking and over complicating the game.

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Yep full credit to Brentford. 

Three times in just over a year (April 1st 2017 being our game at Griffin Park last season) they have, to misquote Steve Cotterill, 'battered us, absolutely battered us'.

The fact we have a point and only a negative goal difference of 3 from those games is utterly ridiculous as all three games could have been 5/6/7-0.

The larger point I guess is we have seen in three games why they are only where they are in the table. The football they play they should be a lot higher in the table than they are.

Because opposition managers set up to.

1. Play to their own strengths

2. Try to exploit Brentford’s weaknesses

Plus individually, sit on Romain Sawyers and don’t let him stroll around, dictating the game.  Don’t allow 3 defenders to mark 1 Striker, thus allowing Brentford time and space in midfield to get the ball wide easily in our final third, and create 1 on 1s v our full-backs or even worse 2 on 1s.

Our only bright spell today was opening 10 minutes when we pressed their keeper and back four intelligently and caused them to play wayward balls Forward.  We sprung forward, the crowd got excited, and then we played the wrong pass.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Because opposition managers set up to.

1. Play to their own strengths

2. Try to exploit Brentford’s weaknesses

Plus individually, sit on Romain Sawyers and don’t let him stroll around, dictating the game.  Don’t allow 3 defenders to mark 1 Striker, thus allowing Brentford time and space in midfield to get the ball wide easily in our final third, and create 1 on 1s v our full-backs or even worse 2 on 1s.

Our only bright spell today was opening 10 minutes when we pressed their keeper and back four intelligently and caused them to play wayward balls Forward.  We sprung forward, the crowd got excited, and then we played the wrong pass.

Oh yeah I agree with all that and we could all spend a lot more time than we'd like to admit analysing how terrible we are/were.

I don't know how much you believe in the 'data' around football, but Brentford really are an outlier and everything suggests they should be doing much better than they are. Again, no doubt some people are extremely cynical about Expected Goals, but I remember seeing a few weeks ago that Brentford had had the higher xG in all bar about 7 games this season. I dread to think what it may have been today.. 

6 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Oh yeah I agree with all that and we could all spend a lot more time than we'd like to admit analysing how terrible we are/were.

I don't know how much you believe in the 'data' around football, but Brentford really are an outlier and everything suggests they should be doing much better than they are. Again, no doubt some people are extremely cynical about Expected Goals, but I remember seeing a few weeks ago that Brentford had had the higher xG in all bar about 7 games this season. I dread to think what it may have been today.. 

I follow Experimental 361 - who post a lot of xG stats.  Brentford are definitely outside the "norm".

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I follow Experimental 361 - who post a lot of xG stats.  Brentford are definitely outside the "norm".

I am a regular reader of it too- definitely a side where performances are significantly better than results- and goals scored.

@bearded_red Us 0.0-Brentford 2.2 goals yesterday (so 2-0 in real money). Not that bad, amazingly, in other words for us based on the model!?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am a regular reader of it too- definitely a side where performances are significantly better than results- and goals scored.

@bearded_red Us 0.0-Brentford 2.2 goals yesterday (so 2-0 in real money). Not that bad, amazingly, in other words for us based on the model!?

No that is surprisingly low for Brentford, lower than Barnsley the other day I think I’m right in saying..

We should appreciate just how rare 0.0 is though! Haven’t seen many of them this season, I think Swansea with ten men at Huddersfield the other week managed it.

Archived