IGNORED

Bobby Reid - Team of the Year (Merged)

westred1

Note of caution - have you seen who the judging panel are which explains some of the odd choices?

Clearly they know nothing given we are the South West Community Club of the Year when we all know the Blue Few fully deserve that award, what with all they do for family and community relations in impoverished areas...

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

True but think Terry is atrocious. Played maybe half their games. Bamba, Boly, Flint or O’Connell(Sheff U) should have been selected over him. Not to mention Chester who I think had played a fair few games for Villa at a good standard. 

Yeah, a bloke that's captained England and won about 5 Premiership titles is 'atrocious'.  Obviously your opinion carries far more weight than the people who have played against him on the pitch...

18 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yeah, a bloke that's captained England and won about 5 Premiership titles is 'atrocious'.  Obviously your opinion carries far more weight than the people who have played against him on the pitch...

I don’t think he is “atrocious” but I do think that he is now past it.

He had started 29 games before tonight, James Chester, his team mate (and I think their best defender) had started 10 more and is one of several CBs at our level (much as I truly despise Cardiff, Bamba and Morrison are both better, for me) that had it not been picked on reputation in his case would have been in ahead of him.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think he is “atrocious” but I do think that he is now past it.

He had started 29 games before tonight, James Chester, his team mate (and I think their best defender) had started 10 more and is one of several CBs at our level (much as I truly despise Cardiff, Bamba and Morrison are both better, for me) that had it not been picked on reputation in his case would have been in ahead of him.

Not that I disagree with you but you do have to remember that the people voting are actually players.  Reputation is a lot less for them than it is for supporters.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

An atrocious pick for team of the year as he has missed roughly a quarter of the season through injury. Thought that was quite obvious in context of how I wrote it and in context of the comment I quoted. Obviously has been a fantastic player throughout his career and wasn’t atrocious when he has played in the championship. Though he was caught out quite a bit at the start of his Villa career. 

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

An atrocious pick for team of the year as he has missed roughly a quarter of the season through injury. Thought that was quite obvious in context of how I wrote it and in context of the comment I quoted. Obviously has been a fantastic player throughout his career and wasn’t atrocious when he has played in the championship. Though he was caught out quite a bit at the start of his Villa career. 

I disagree he was caught out a lot, I’d say he was in a Villa side void of confidence and belief that we’re not performing and on the whole struggling. Villa fans have absolutely raved about him this year. 

Interesting you talk about struggling etc but think Flint was a shout for the team... 

13 hours ago, The Bard said:

Not that I disagree with you but you do have to remember that the people voting are actually players.  Reputation is a lot less for them than it is for supporters.

No you are thinking of the PFA awards - this is the managers of EFL voting.

4 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

No you are thinking of the PFA awards - this is the managers of EFL voting.

No it isn't. It's mainly a panel of broadcast journos and a smattering of non-playoff footy types ( save I think Scott Minto crept in this year via his TV capacity.)

6 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I disagree he was caught out a lot, I’d say he was in a Villa side void of confidence and belief that we’re not performing and on the whole struggling. Villa fans have absolutely raved about him this year. 

Interesting you talk about struggling etc but think Flint was a shout for the team... 

Well maybe not caught out. I may have just noticed it more because it was John Terry. Just don’t think you should be in a team of the season missing 8-10 games which he did. All the other names have played most of the season and are good shouts imo.

I think had our form not dipped he would be a serious shout. I said in another thread a few unlucky CBs who could have been picked. 

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well maybe not caught out. I may have just noticed it more because it was John Terry. Just don’t think you should be in a team of the season missing 8-10 games which he did. All the other names have played most of the season and are good shouts imo.

I think had our form not dipped he would be a serious shout. I said in another thread a few unlucky CBs who could have been picked. 

Flint missed 5/6 games after being dropped because he was playing poorly. 

Cairney has possibly missed the same amount as JT although I think TC is the best player in the championship by a long stretch. 

Thought of CBs only Boly and Bamba should feel unlucky

On 04/04/2018 at 16:07, BTRFTG said:

No it isn't. It's mainly a panel of broadcast journos and a smattering of non-playoff footy types ( save I think Scott Minto crept in this year via his TV capacity.)

The EFL team of the year is voted for by the 72 EFL managers.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The EFL team of the year is voted for by the 72 EFL managers.

In which case I stand corrected. What do the judging panel do, only heard Colin Murray banging on about it as thought he chaired it this time?

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

In which case I stand corrected. What do the judging panel do, only heard Colin Murray banging on about it as thought he chaired it this time?

I think they each pick a team and a manager, they get totted up, and ultimately the winning team is picked.

Archived