IGNORED

Will this season help Lee Johnson?

reddogkev

Is Lee developing each season as a manager?  I'm accepting the likely outcome that we'll still be a Championship team next year, so my thought relates to Lee's ability and whether his experience gained with us this season will enable him to push us on again next year - perhaps either top 2 or play-off certs.

Are we seeing the signs that he is improving?  Logically, the answer has to be yes, based on the transformation we have seen with City since last year's relegation fight. 

If he continues to develop like he has so far, next season looks very promising indeed.

Don't understand the British obsession about managers. Great players manage without a manager and adopt to what is happening out there.

Online..

A managers rule is to support confidence of his players. And to be sacked. 

It's not an orchestra we are talking about.

Drottningens uppgift är att lägga ägg, drönarnas att befrukta drottningar. Allt arbete inom bisamhället uträttas av arbetsbina.

Hard to say Reading were in play offs but abysmal this year and sacked Stam, we fought relegation and did better this time. All about the quality of your players..... we still need a few despite over 30 signings under his tenure - the core of the team ((Reid,Pack,Smith,Flint, Bryan,Fielding) were already here and only a few of the signings (Baker Pisano,O'Dowda,Brownhill, Fammy) have really worked out plus the loan of Abraham. If we continue to sign the quality of Diony Kent Walsh Eliason Engval GON Hegelar.

Recruitment is key,

You may assume that I'm not convinced by LJ!

17 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I hope LJ learns and improves on this experience. Personally, I hope he's here for the long term. 

I hope he is too.  The longer he is here, the more likely it is because we are progressing rather than apathy from our owner.  I like his affinity to the club, and we are making good (everyone’s definition of good is different) progress.

This season isn’t over.  The form trend is poor, but it can be turned around.  No idea if it will....just hope we find that spark.

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

Arse Wegner?

And? 

When he first arrived at Arsenal he was a revelation. New, modern ideas in every aspects of the game and was essentially the father of the way the English game is played. 

Now he's past his sell by date.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

And? 

When he first arrived at Arsenal he was a revelation. New, modern ideas in every aspects of the game and was essentially the father of the way the English game is played. 

Now he's past his sell by date.

Hahaha 

'Everyone learns the longer they stay'; 'he was a revelation, but he is now past it'

There goes the wind again 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Everybody  learns and gains experience the longer they stay in the job.

Its a bit of a silly question...........:disapointed2se:

Well, it's not really a bit of a silly question, how can you be sure that everybody learns the longer they stay in the job?

44 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Hard to say Reading were in play offs but abysmal this year and sacked Stam, we fought relegation and did better this time. All about the quality of your players..... we still need a few despite over 30 signings under his tenure - the core of the team ((Reid,Pack,Smith,Flint, Bryan,Fielding) were already here and only a few of the signings (Baker Pisano,O'Dowda,Brownhill, Fammy) have really worked out plus the loan of Abraham. If we continue to sign the quality of Diony Kent Walsh Eliason Engval GON Hegelar.

Recruitment is key,

You may assume that I'm not convinced by LJ!

The recruiting hasn’t been good then you name 6 excellent signings?

I don’t think he’s been any better or worse than most clubs in the transfer market. Albeit January was disappointing 

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Well, it's not really a bit of a silly question, how can you be sure that everybody learns the longer they stay in the job?

I guess it depends on the type of job.........but by and large the more experience you  have in the same job the better you become at it.

I’m sure he’s always learning. 

But he must learn to find a way out of these horrendous runs of form that have so far plagued his every season as a manager. 

I’m glad that this year he has learned to not slag off his players in public. 

I thought he’d learned that Pack is one of the most crucial cogs in his system, but he seems to have forgotten that over the last week or so. 

I hope he already knows that mark Ashton is a fraud and not to be trusted. 

I hope he learns to recruit better and not rely on analytics as much for player recruitment - stats are good, but there’s nothing that can compare to watching a player numerous times with your own eyes. I hope he starts to do that better. 

I hope he doesn’t sign shitty, waste of time loan players when we have an overload of our own players. Engvall or Hinds could’ve done what Woodrow & Diony have done this season. Jonny Smith or De Girolamo could’ve done what Kent or Leko has done. 

Of course he’s learning, but in football you sometimes need to learn double quick. 

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Everybody  learns and gains experience the longer they stay in the job.

Its a bit of a silly question...........:disapointed2se:

Not everybody learns. Some people clearly repeat the same mistakes over & over again. Only insight turns experience into learning. 

What has he learnt this season? A high press game can work well if you play the right players into the right formation. 

Has he learnt a Plan B or different set up that will work? Not obviously. 

Has he learnt that a strong midfield is the basis of any successful team? Not on the evidence of Monday.

Has he learnt that just because a player can play in a position, but may be much better suited to playing elsewhere in the formation, both for the player and the team, that he should play that player in their best position and pick someone else there? After the evidence of Korey Smith at RB, Bailey Wright at LCB, & even Joe Bryan at LB, to the detriment of the team, I would really hope so, but I will remain unconvinced, until I see some tangible evidence.

Hopefully LJ will learn from this season, in particular how to combat 'Park the bus' teams & signthe appropriate players to achieve this. Our record against them is abysmal & show no sign of improving. Also teams like Brentford tear us apart every time we play them. 0-6 on Monday would not have flattered them but 0-1 certainly flattered us. I'm still fully behind LJ & wish him wish to succeed with us in the future.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Is Lee developing each season as a manager?  I'm accepting the likely outcome that we'll still be a Championship team next year, so my thought relates to Lee's ability and whether his experience gained with us this season will enable him to push us on again next year - perhaps either top 2 or play-off certs.

Are we seeing the signs that he is improving?  Logically, the answer has to be yes, based on the transformation we have seen with City since last year's relegation fight. 

If he continues to develop like he has so far, next season looks very promising indeed.

NO, he hasn't developed since he arrived!

2 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

I’m sure he’s always learning. 

But he must learn to find a way out of these horrendous runs of form that have so far plagued his every season as a manager. 

I’m glad that this year he has learned to not slag off his players in public. 

I thought he’d learned that Pack is one of the most crucial cogs in his system, but he seems to have forgotten that over the last week or so. 

I hope he already knows that mark Ashton is a fraud and not to be trusted. 

I hope he learns to recruit better and not rely on analytics as much for player recruitment - stats are good, but there’s nothing that can compare to watching a player numerous times with your own eyes. I hope he starts to do that better. 

I hope he doesn’t sign shitty, waste of time loan players when we have an overload of our own players. Engvall or Hinds could’ve done what Woodrow & Diony have done this season. Jonny Smith or De Girolamo could’ve done what Kent or Leko has done. 

Of course he’s learning, but in football you sometimes need to learn double quick. 

Interesting :whistle:

Wonder what Calibre Sports Group Ltd do?

LJ will have learnt so so much this season all of which will make him a much more accomplished manager. We should reap the benefits next season but football doesn't always work like that yes he'll be a better manager but that certainly doesn't guarantee you'll get more points! It's a funny old game! 

He will learn, I've faith in the man. There's a few games where he's made some considerable mistakes, and you can only learn from those. We are still fighting for play offs for goodness sake! Now, that's more than most people expected at the start of the season I'm sure. Yes, performances have dropped, but the team we were for the first 3/5 of the season was something to behold. Best football I've seen at AG since god knows when! (although that's not saying a huge amount...)

My concern is not with Lee Johnson, but the potential loss of key players going into next season if we don't make the play offs. The obvious trio are;

Joe Bryan - Fear he will leave. A good offer from a prem team/newly promoted prem team such as Wolves could turn his head.

Bobby Reid - Will certainly have offers. TOTY etc. For an ambitious, young individual he will be looking to push on. Not sure whether we can provide that.

Aden Flint - Someone will come in for him I'm sure. It's whether we can keep him this time. Luckily I'm hopeful that Baker will stay.

BUT who's to say Brentford wasn't the catalyst for a huge final push for play offs and a victorious day out at Wembley eh!

Archived