IGNORED

Will this season help Lee Johnson?

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

He will learn, I've faith in the man. There's a few games where he's made some considerable mistakes, and you can only learn from those. We are still fighting for play offs for goodness sake! Now, that's more than most people expected at the start of the season I'm sure. Yes, performances have dropped, but the team we were for the first 3/5 of the season was something to behold. Best football I've seen at AG since god knows when! (although that's not saying a huge amount...)

My concern is not with Lee Johnson, but the potential loss of key players going into next season if we don't make the play offs. The obvious trio are;

Joe Bryan - Fear he will leave. A good offer from a prem team/newly promoted prem team such as Wolves could turn his head.

Bobby Reid - Will certainly have offers. TOTY etc. For an ambitious, young individual he will be looking to push on. Not sure whether we can provide that.

Aden Flint - Someone will come in for him I'm sure. It's whether we can keep him this time. Luckily I'm hopeful that Baker will stay.

BUT who's to say Brentford wasn't the catalyst for a huge final push for play offs and a victorious day out at Wembley eh!

Funnily enough I don't fear these potential summer departures, I have been really impressed with Lloyd Kelly in his few performances this year, and with O'Dowda returning to fitness the left side would be no worse than if an on-form JB stays at the club.

If Flint were to go then (dons steel helmet) Bradley Wright performed well at the start of the season at RCB, plus we've got Vyner and a lesser extent Moore returning from loans.

Bobby Reid might be my only concern given that in terms of forward players his style is relatively unique, and fits our system perfectly, although a fully fit Taylor could perhaps play in a similar way in terms of closing down and harrying.

• Admin
13 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Is Lee developing each season as a manager?  I'm accepting the likely outcome that we'll still be a Championship team next year, so my thought relates to Lee's ability and whether his experience gained with us this season will enable him to push us on again next year - perhaps either top 2 or play-off certs.

Are we seeing the signs that he is improving?  Logically, the answer has to be yes, based on the transformation we have seen with City since last year's relegation fight. 

If he continues to develop like he has so far, next season looks very promising indeed.

There are improvements but one thing that pops up EVERY season in his management is a long losing run !

Clearly not solved that problem . . . again!!!

12 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

The recruiting hasn’t been good then you name 6 excellent signings?

I don’t think he’s been any better or worse than most clubs in the transfer market. Albeit January was disappointing 

6 out of 30 though...........................that's a Grade F at best in any exam -probably a fail!

If he got even 50% right I'd feel better

12 hours ago, greengrass said:

Hopefully LJ will learn from this season, in particular how to combat 'Park the bus' teams & signthe appropriate players to achieve this. Our record against them is abysmal & show no sign of improving. Also teams like Brentford tear us apart every time we play them. 0-6 on Monday would not have flattered them but 0-1 certainly flattered us. I'm still fully behind LJ & wish him wish to succeed with us in the future.

So we can't beat teams that " park the bus " or expansive sides like Brentford ?

Not much hope there !

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Funnily enough I don't fear these potential summer departures, I have been really impressed with Lloyd Kelly in his few performances this year, and with O'Dowda returning to fitness the left side would be no worse than if an on-form JB stays at the club.

If Flint were to go then (dons steel helmet) Bradley Wright performed well at the start of the season at RCB, plus we've got Vyner and a lesser extent Moore returning from loans.

Bobby Reid might be my only concern given that in terms of forward players his style is relatively unique, and fits our system perfectly, although a fully fit Taylor could perhaps play in a similar way in terms of closing down and harrying.

You are joking, aren't you. An old American saying applies to Taylor ; "He couldn't hit a bull in the fanny (ass) with a bag of rice", so where would we get the 19 goals that Bobby has scored so far.

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

I would bet Flint and Reid start our first game of 18/19.

Flint signed a new contract, seems settled after the start of season period of uncertainty, loves being loved and being the number 1 guy with the fans - which I think he is.

Bobbys heart is so in this club (which you get from his recent interview with the post) and I think only a top prem team would prise him away - they maybe monitoring but will be waiting to see if this was a “one season wonder” and more likely to bid next Jan IMO.

Joey was absolutely outstanding up to Xmas but is in one of his all too frequent lulls along with some others. I want to see Kelly at left back and still think Joey can be hit and miss in midfield so for me NOW (as opposed to 4 months ago) - would be a bit meh about this one if it was decent money.

14 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Is Lee developing each season as a manager?  I'm accepting the likely outcome that we'll still be a Championship team next year.....

...serious u turn....love your comments about Cardiff in this one too (below)...when are you posting your entry for ‘Pundit of the Year’?!

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...serious u turn....love your comments about Cardiff in this one too (below)...when are you posting your entry for ‘Pundit of the Year’?!

I'd have to be bonkers to still have the same opinion!  And the less said about Cardiff the better.

19 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Hard to say Reading were in play offs but abysmal this year and sacked Stam, we fought relegation and did better this time. All about the quality of your players..... we still need a few despite over 30 signings under his tenure - the core of the team ((Reid,Pack,Smith,Flint, Bryan,Fielding) were already here and only a few of the signings (Baker Pisano,O'Dowda,Brownhill, Fammy) have really worked out plus the loan of Abraham. If we continue to sign the quality of Diony Kent Walsh Eliason Engval GON Hegelar.

Recruitment is key,

You may assume that I'm not convinced by LJ!

usually people want to get rid of managers that leave them in a worse position to the one he took over, but not at Bristol City apparently. Anyone looking in from the outside must be wondering if our fans need their heads examined. 
Anyone who has any doubts about our Manager and the direction of this club, must so short sighted that they can't even look at a whole season let alone a whole period of Management. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

But it depends what you do with that learning and experience.

Yes, of course but certainly in my profession the more skills and experience the more likely you were get shortlisted for promotion.

It was at interview that what they'd done with said knowledge and experience was examined.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yes, of course but certainly in my profession the more skills and experience the more likely you were get shortlisted for promotion.

It was at interview that what they'd done with said knowledge and experience was examined.

In my industry, if you didn't put your learning and experience to good use you were likely to be sacked or encouraged to leave!

In LJ''s case he is not going for interviews (hopefully! !!)

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You are joking, aren't you. An old American saying applies to Taylor ; "He couldn't hit a bull in the fanny (ass) with a bag of rice", so where would we get the 19 goals that Bobby has scored so far.

Read what I wrote, “in terms of closing down and harrying” didn’t actually mention the goals bit.

That said his lower league goal scoring shows that he knows where the target is, and Brian Clough always went looking for lower league strikers who scored well. 

I think fully fit, there is an intelligent goal scorer in there.

Archived