IGNORED

"Bristol City - their recruitment is very, very intelligent"

Jack Dawe

9 minutes ago, General Zod said:

If I'm to buy into the clubs philosophy which seems to me to be of the ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’ year on year improvement  and gradual steps towards promotion approach then yes the way we accumulated points last season and more so this time around plus importantly the lack of apparent ability from LJ to address the rapid decline in performances when they happen is very concerning.  

If it’s a long term project and LJ and his management team are here to stay then surely an approach of consistent improvement is the one the board is looking for not the pattern of the last 2 years

Personally I believe we wasted an opportunity by not be more adventurous in the window in an attempt at the very least to cement a playoff place but as I keep being told, that’s not how the ‘project’ works.  The seasons not dead but as things stand unless LJ works out a way to improve things we may as well be 100 points outside the playoffs.

I agree with some of what you’re saying but whether we finish 6th, 8th or 12th this season, it’s an undeniable fact that we’ve had consistent improvement in league placing under Johnson. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t argue with it being a bizarre season! But i still think a lot of the over reaction to a disappointing spell is coloured by events of last season. 

In truth the dip in form this season has been nothing akin to last season, last season we went from playoffs almost all the way to the bottom....this year we’ve gone from 3rd to ... erm....7th - and people acting like we’re getting relegated. 

Monday’s performance was as bad as I’ve seen under LJ but let’s be honest in the context of this season was something of a one off. 

I don’t think he’s been as bad for tinkering this season tbh. None of us know where players are at fitness wise at any given moment. It’s been a long slog of a season and by Christmas we’d already played more football than any other championship side with a modest squad. 

I still trace the decline back to that night against Wolves. See that game out and I honestly think the season would have charted a different course. Two big mistakes from experienced players cost us a lot more than 3 points that night. 

I certainly think so. Definitely. I don't blame anyone as such, it can happen but down to 10, then the momentum changing like that- both on the day and in the weeks thereafter...

Had a major effect. Also the way Wolves celebrated that result- they knew how big it was.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I certainly think so. Definitely. I don't blame anyone as such, it can happen but down to 10, then the momentum changing like that- both on the day and in the weeks thereafter...

Had a major effect. Also the way Wolves celebrated that result- they knew how big it was.

I do, but I’ll keep my feelings to myself! :laugh: 

But that was the night that our season took a dramatic change in trajectory.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We are on a fantastic run if you think , what is it 3 wins ? , since January is fantastic. 

Not sure what you are thinking about, 3 wins as opposed to 4 defeats is pretty average in my book

35 minutes ago, Big C said:

Not sure what you are thinking about, 3 wins as opposed to 4 defeats is pretty average in my book

That's six , six , league defeats since January the first . If you want  to argue at least get your facts right .

It's more than ' pretty average ' it's relegation form.

Our form has gone downhill so fast  we have a Winter Olympic medal to show for it .

Still no cause for alarm all is well as the club rearrange the deck chairs . 

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That's six , six , league defeats since January the first . If you want  to argue at least get your facts right .

Our form has gone downhill so fast  we have a Winter Olympic medal to show for it .

Our form since January the first isn't relegation form.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=formguide

If you want to argue at least get your facts right.

Edit- seems you have to input the games played and League yourself even though I linked after doing it.

We have played 15 league games since the turn of the year.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our form since January the first isn't relegation form.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=formguide

If you want to argue at least get your facts right.

I make it 15 points in 15 games from Jan 1st

Equates 46 points for a season 

Wpuld have seen us relegated last season 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I make it 15 points in 15 games from Jan 1st

Equates 46 points for a season 

Wpuld have seen us relegated last season 

15 is correct, but that is more than 5 other clubs have done over the very same number of games since January first, and better than a 6th side on our goal difference.

So based on this season, it isn't relegation form.

IMG_1410.PNG

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I agree with some of what you’re saying but whether we finish 6th, 8th or 12th this season, it’s an undeniable fact that we’ve had consistent improvement in league placing under Johnson. 

If league position is the sole criteria for improvement then I can’t argue with you and yes LJ has driven out consistent improvement.  Personally I think it’s one part and at this stage of our ‘evolution’ (if I’m to buy into the ‘plan’) improved performances and developing an effective style of play is much more important 

Taking league position as the sole measure is leaving the you and the club open to all sorts of criticism next season.  If we don’t replicate or better this years finishing spot which, let’s be honest is likely, does that mean we are not evolving in the right way?  Of course it doesn’t.  As long as we all see improvement in consistency, an improving style of play, a few of the ones for the future coming good and feel management and players are developing most (not all I grant you) will be positive.  

Let’s see where we are in May.  LJ has enough games left to show those that have doubts (me included) that he has what it takes to turn it round and the players still have time to show us the have the bottle to see the season through to a positive conclusion.  Give us something to hang on to and we will all be enthusiastic and play our part once again.

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

If league position is the sole criteria for improvement then I can’t argue with you and yes LJ has driven out consistent improvement.  Personally I think it’s one part and at this stage of our ‘evolution’ (if I’m to buy into the ‘plan’) improved performances and developing an effective style of play is much more important 

Taking league position as the sole measure is leaving the you and the club open to all sorts of criticism next season.  If we don’t replicate or better this years finishing spot which, let’s be honest is likely, does that mean we are not evolving in the right way?  Of course it doesn’t.  As long as we all see improvement in consistency, an improving style of play, a few of the ones for the future coming good and feel management and players are developing most (not all I grant you) will be positive.  

Let’s see where we are in May.  LJ has enough games left to show those that have doubts (me included) that he has what it takes to turn it round and the players still have time to show us the have the bottle to see the season through to a positive conclusion.  Give us something to hang on to and we will all be enthusiastic and play our part once again.

For the record I don’t think league position should be the sole criteria but let’s be honest it’s pretty much the only thing that matters once the season is over, especially if the ultimate aim is promotion. 

I’d rather we finished 1st playing terrible football than 7th playing amazing, assuming it had no impact on the subsequent season!

I guess ultimately I’m just disappointed how quickly we reverted to type once we hit a bump in the road. I thought collectively as a fan base we were a bit better than that. For a team that’s achieved precisely nothing in 120 years we don’t have have high expectations. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

For the record I don’t think league position should be the sole criteria but let’s be honest it’s pretty much the only thing that matters once the season is over, especially if the ultimate aim is promotion. 

I’d rather we finished 1st playing terrible football than 7th playing amazing, assuming it had no impact on the subsequent season!

I guess ultimately I’m just disappointed how quickly we reverted to type once we hit a bump in the road. I thought collectively as a fan base we were a bit better than that. For a team that’s achieved precisely nothing in 120 years we don’t have have high expectations. 

There was a thread after about 3 games titled "I'll take 4th bottom now" yet it's many of the people who were agreeing with those sentiments that are the noisiest at the moment.

I think that says it all.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Before Monday we had gone five home games unbeaten winning the previous two 4-0 and 1-0 plus we’ve picked up points away from home. Our deckchairs are fine

42 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Playing terrible football is hard to accept whatever your league position but is probably just about palatable if you end up riding your luck and can look back on a promotion (Cardiff?).  

Unfortunately we are serving up poor football and the likelihood off promotion is small at best

I was ok when it was just a bump road but it feels like the road vanished.  The clubs treated fans with contempt with regards to their approach to season ticket increases, the transfer window was pathetic showing no ambition with regards to a potential promotion this season (yes, I get they have a long term plan), form has been poor away from home and drab at best at home for ages, selections and tactics have gone crazy and our style has vanished so I’m not surprised as fans we let our emotions poor out.  

For me Brentford felt like one poor game too far. I went with an expectation that we would give it a real go and what I witnessed was shocking.  Not one player did anything to show they had some balls and were prepared to grab the opportunity. It really isn’t good enough at the moment on so many fronts 

7 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Playing terrible football is hard to accept whatever your league position but is probably just about palatable if you end up riding your luck and can look back on a promotion (Cardiff?).  

Unfortunately we are serving up poor football and the likelihood off promotion is small at best

I was ok when it was just a bump road but it feels like the road vanished.  The clubs treated fans with contempt with regards to their approach to season ticket increases, the transfer window was pathetic showing no ambition with regards to a potential promotion this season (yes, I get they have a long term plan), form has been poor away from home and drab at best at home for ages, selections and tactics have gone crazy and our style has vanished so I’m not surprised as fans we let our emotions poor out.  

For me Brentford felt like one poor game too far. I went with an expectation that we would give it a real go and what I witnessed was shocking.  Not one player did anything to show they had some balls and were prepared to grab the opportunity. It really isn’t good enough at the moment on so many fronts 

One poor game to far? So I’m guessing your last home game before Monday was the Norwich game? You should get to more games 

13 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Despite my dislike for Cardiff, I don’t think Cardiff play terrible football.  I’ve found their games pretty exciting and fast-paced this season.  Bit of a myth imho that they just play long hoof-ball.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Despite my dislike for Cardiff, I don’t think Cardiff play terrible football.  I’ve found their games pretty exciting and fast-paced this season.  Bit of a myth imho that they just play long hoof-ball.

I know plenty of Cardiff fans who for large parts of the season would disagree with you.  I think there’s an acceptance that NW is a means to an end and won’t be around for long if they do go up 

2 hours ago, Big C said:

One poor game to far? So I’m guessing your last home game before Monday was the Norwich game? You should get to more games 

We’ve been uninspiring away from home for sometime and performances at home since wolves have been mixed I’d say with performances declining over the last couple of games.  Trouble is, when you aren’t great away from home there’s a lot of pressure on those home games.

27 minutes ago, General Zod said:

We’ve been uninspiring away from home for sometime and performances at home since wolves have been mixed I’d say with performances declining over the last couple of games.  Trouble is, when you aren’t great away from home there’s a lot of pressure on those home games.

We won our previous two home games prior to Brentford how can that be classed as declining?

Not going to go through the whole thread but I would love to see our % of success to failure compared to other clubs similar to us such as Brentford and Preston but also against teams that are supposed to be excellent at developing plays such as Southampton.

47 minutes ago, General Zod said:

We’ve been uninspiring away from home for sometime and performances  at home since wolves have been mixed I’d say with performances declining over the last couple of games.  Trouble is, when you aren’t great away from home there’s a lot of pressure on those home games.

18 minutes ago, Big C said:

We won our previous two home games prior to Brentford how can that be classed as declining?

Helpful if you read posts before you jump in 

result does not need to equate to Performance

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Helpful if you read posts before you jump in 

result does not need to equate to Performance

So you’re saying a 4-0 Win isn’t a good performance? You do realise we’re Bristol City and not Barcelona don’t you?

45 minutes ago, Big C said:

So you’re saying a 4-0 Win isn’t a good performance? You do realise we’re Bristol City and not Barcelona don’t you?

Christ this is getting painful. You're really not getting the point are you. They are talking about performances - plural - even the most clapping happy fan cannot seriously deny that since wolves our performances have deteriorated. Our form has deteriorated. Our style of play has deteriorated from a high press, passing game to hoof ball. Our points per game has deteriorated. Judging from the arguing players on the pitch, our squad harmony has deteriorated, perhaps because they realise their performances have deteriorated. Our team selection and use of subs has deteriorated. Thus the regained confidence some fans had with their manager, after the car crash of last season, has, you guessed it, deteriorated. And, surprise surprise, we fear what may continue is this theme of deterioration.

2 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Christ this is getting painful. You're really not getting the point are you. They are talking about performances - plural - even the most clapping happy fan cannot seriously deny that since wolves our performances have deteriorated. Our form has deteriorated. Our style of play has deteriorated from a high press, passing game to hoof ball. Our points per game has deteriorated. Judging from the arguing players on the pitch, our squad harmony has deteriorated, perhaps because they realise their performances have deteriorated. Our team selection and use of subs has deteriorated. Thus the regained confidence some fans had with their manager, after the car crash of last season, has, you guessed it, deteriorated. And, surprise surprise, we fear what may continue is this theme of deterioration.

We’ve had other decent performances since Wolves. QPR and Fulham spring to mind. We were spoilt before Christmas so much so that people aren’t happy unless we are playing like Man City and Barcelona. 

Archived