IGNORED

All you Johnson lovers

Alan Dicks

We were massively overachieving at xmas in the league and cup competitions, we are still overachieving in 8th place, yes it's been a disappointing run, but it doesn't and shouldn't define our whole season. There are fans that would struggle to give the guy any credit if we won this league at a canter. @Tinman85 and his cronies should be happy anyway as it looks like they will only have a short journey over the water to watch their hero upset everyone in the Premier league next season.  

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am losing the faith in him. These bad runs are just too much. Spend half the season on a high then half rock bottom. Making 80% of Bristol bipolar. He has the summer to tweak a few things and hopefully trim the squad down adding 2-3 top quality to a solid core. Though if we get to a 4-5 game stretch with poor results I will lose patience I think. He has turned it around last season and turned this into a solid season this year overall. Next step is consitency. We have seen that this squad can compete. Adding a couple more should help solidify it as a top 6 type team because I believe we are talent wise. Just need LJ to find consistency amd to hold players accountable when their form dips. 

Like he has with Pato, who has contributed very little in every league game he has played in 2018, but keeps getting picked. As opposed to Eliasson who has hardly been given a chance. That is the style of LJ, seems to love his favorites, and cold shoulder others. Sorry, seriously worried we will be at the wrong end of the table with LJ still in charge next season (which he will be).

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

LJ is starting to annoy me again. 

His interviews have returned the the nervous giggles and silly comments, akin to last season when we were struggling. 

He says theyre doing everything now that we were before christmas. 

No we arent Lee. 

Why are we now standing off, sitting back, rather than adopt the high press that clearly worked so well. 

Why are we now having possession just for the sake of it? We were playing high tempo, quick ball, loads of movement, opening teams up for fun. Now we want the ball but are plain and simple a sideways/backwards team now. 

If you really want to feed us the ‘we are doing what we were line’, then get us back to the above!!

:grr:

totally agree the interview after was shocking all the stupid laughs and giggles

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Like he has with Pato, who has contributed very little in every league game he has played in 2018, but keeps getting picked. As opposed to Eliasson who has hardly been given a chance. That is the style of LJ, seems to love his favorites, and cold shoulder others. Sorry, seriously worried we will be at the wrong end of the table with LJ still in charge next season (which he will be).

That is what I am saying mate. He needs to lose this habit. Bryan too. I’d have been playing Kelly and Eliasson for weeks now. Seeing what they can bring to the table. Kelly had two good games in a row and then dropped for JB. He hasn’t tried enough to change our fortunes. 

So I get why some will say ge should go. I even agree with a lot of the reasons but feel on the whole it has been a good season. So I’d let him get another go at figuring it out. If I was in charge of his job he would be aware he is on a short leash. Some will feel he hasn’t earned that and fair enough. I just think he has earned another go but anything short of sustained success over 46 matches is a failure and will cost him a good job. 

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd quite like some proven Championship quality in the summer rather than more gambles, lest we go backwards even faster.

Got to give and take though. We did well with Baker last summer and if we can make another couple similar moves for similar financial outlay then I am all for it. I just don’t like the idea of spending 10m on a 27 year old who has only just now found his championship form if that makes sense. 

I look at Millwall though and the done some tidy business this summer past. The type we seem to look past. Saville cost them less than 300k I think. Midfielder who will look to score goals but also doesn’t mind a bit of graft defensively. Jake Cooper free having a hell of a season. Mclaughlin free. All 25 or younger and less than a mil most likely including agents fees. Also probably less wages combined than 1-2 of our top paid players. 

Though i feel I keep coming back to this. These teams sign players, train them in a style then play them. They don’t coddle them. They play them and if they sink they sit. If they swim well you get a season like Millwall. Buy players and play them. If they are behind someone in the pecking order then keep them hungry with appearances when you can and when(because it usually happens) someone is out of form(4-5 matches) you give the other guy a go for a similar amount of time to see if he can win the job. The culture is not cut throat enough here. It is a happy environment and it doesn’t feel like you have to fight for your job. 

3 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

What do you see in him?

What's your hope with him at the helm?

What in your opinion has he achieved as a manager?

Will he ever come good? If so what signs do you see of this happening?

Change your name. You are not fit to call yourself ' Alan dicks'.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

They like easy football. They like to clap. Have a beer and watch Pointless win lose or draw! Same as the board!!!

You're a fellow City fan so I'm not going to slag you off, but please consider this bit of friendly advice: try and be bit more constructive and less personal, and if you do even if people disagree with you they'll respect your opinion more.

Cheers.

59 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

In all seriousness, though can we stop the ridiculous knee jerking everytime we dont win by a million goals

Can we stop the ridiculous exaggerations while we're at it?

1 hour ago, BoneyardTIM said:

No an average team who have punched above our weight in the first half of the season.

This is why a top notch coach/manager - or one that can perform "top notch" like the Huddersfield one last season - is handy. We're never going to have the best group of players at this level. We need a genius to work miracles with relatively thin resources.

Having said this, it is a bit of a lottery selecting a head coach/manager. Pot luck, it seems. I don't envy SL next time he faces choosing one.

Better recruitment would help, too. Don't think LJ has got on top of this yet.

It's a piece of piss to be negative - easiest thing in the world is to pick on something/somebody and have a bleeding good moan about it/them.  We are all guilty of it and entitled to do it.

However is it constructive? - well it could be - I've been in business for years and I don't let my bods come to me moaning and bitching UNLESS they are pitching a REALISTIC solution/alternative to what they are bitching about. Then I'm prepared to listen and I'm interested in what they have to say. 

OP has referred to the 'Johnson Lovers' - me I'm not bothered either way to be honest - so to the 'Johnson Haters/Bashers' - rather than just moaning about how crap Johnson is - give us all some of your reasoned, thought out and realistic alternatives as you see it - me, I personally cant think of a manager that we could actually attract to BCFC that would offer us a better solution (name names) to Johnson so I await to be impressed with your cunning plans.

COYR   :)

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

......give us all some of your reasoned, thought out and realistic alternatives as you see it - me, I personally cant think of a manager that we could actually attract to BCFC that would offer us a better solution (name names) to Johnson so I await to be impressed with your cunning plans.

A fair few names have been put forward by many people on here over the last couple of years....and most of them were suggested because they have won promotion from the championship into the premier league - so basically they are proven at this level....something we haven’t really had since the extremely brief Coppell reign...

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A fair few names have been put forward by many people on here over the last couple of years....and most of them were suggested because they have won promotion from the championship into the premier league - so basically they are proven at this level....something we haven’t really had since the extremely brief Coppell reign...

Its a difficult one, as you say a few names have been put forward over the years but generally at a time we have been really struggling. A lot of those managers I feel wouldn't have come to us, others I felt might but would jump ship as soon as a better offer came along.

Its like now, Dean Smith has been mentioned by many but why would he come to us when our star is waning and Brentford's is rising.

Regretfully I feel we will always struggle to attract the quality manager we probably need and would like, very much like the players we have wooed over the years, we have always had more success developing players than we have had persuading established proven players to sign for us.

We need somebody who is really up for the challenge - be that Johnson or whoever remains to be seen. At least it's never boring  :P

24 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Its a difficult one, as you say a few names have been put forward over the years but generally at a time we have been really struggling. A lot of those managers I feel wouldn't have come to us, others I felt might but would jump ship as soon as a better offer came along.

Its like now, Dean Smith has been mentioned by many but why would he come to us when our star is waning and Brentford's is rising.

Regretfully I feel we will always struggle to attract the quality manager we probably need and would like, very much like the players we have wooed over the years, we have always had more success developing players than we have had persuading established proven players to sign for us.

We need somebody who is really up for the challenge - be that Johnson or whoever remains to be seen. At least it's never boring  :P

Gave up on the play off place a few games ago mainly based on performance rather than results , and as has been said Manager going nowhere , but saw Johnson’s interview , no excuses , really unhappy with the team  , of course it’s the managers fault on performance and team spirit but if nothing else seemed to be genuinely pissed  off and angry with them , think a few maybe on the way out 

Get a grip and start to look at the players who are letting him down.

His approach hasn't changed, he's trying to find the right combinations or formula to get us back on track. Nothing wrong with that.

He took the brunt of abuse when things wern't going right as a player because his father was the manager and that same abuse probably from the same fans comes to the surface when things aren't going to plan now with the frankly derogatory "little Lee" or "junior" comments.

With all of the progress made on and off the pitch do you honestly see the club getting rid of the whole coaching strategy and structure from the first team downwards in favour of a multi million pound Nigel Pearson or Alan Pardew magician? 

This bloke, ( and he is a bloke who like us all will make mistakes, shock horror!) is also a fan and like us all, wants us to be winning every match and hurts just as much when we don't.

I don't like the current run we are on but that is football, nothing is perfect all of the time.

Putting it into perspective,

are we making progress? Yes

Have we had a good season? Yes

Did we peak too soon? The answer has to be yes. 

Do we have a bright young English coach? Yes.

The football brand we are playing (before the dip) or aspiring to was brilliant and it can be again.

Be careful what you wish for as the grass is not greener.

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We were massively overachieving at xmas in the league and cup competitions, we are still overachieving in 8th place, yes it's been a disappointing run, but it doesn't and shouldn't define our whole season. There are fans that would struggle to give the guy any credit if we won this league at a canter. @Tinman85 and his cronies should be happy anyway as it looks like they will only have a short journey over the water to watch their hero upset everyone in the Premier league next season.  

How are we still over achieving In 8th place?! I tell you who are that's cardiff millwall Preston etc. 

Seriously. Some people on here.

16 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

The “one off game” thing seems unfair. We beat 3 other premiership teams before that and got to the semi final then ran the best team in the country close in 2 matches.  I’m not excusing our current form which is s*** but let’s not diminish that amazing cup run. 

It was a cup run that ended in defeat.......

People really need to get over the cup run, as we did not win the thing, it is now utterly irrelevant.

It is however, in my opinion, partly responsible for us losing out on potential promotion, and I do not mean the physical aspects of extra games.

I firmly believe that a number of players and members of the coaching staff believed the plaudits and the media attention and thought  that they had 'cracked' it and were much better than they actually are.

The level of performance in 2018 - apart from the two games against Man City - have been, in the main, appalling. 

Coincidence? Not for me.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

How are we still over achieving In 8th place?! I tell you who are that's cardiff millwall Preston etc. 

Seriously. Some people on here.

Because we are still above a dozen club's with bigger budgets and bigger names. It's not rocket science, seriously, some people on here. ;)

18 hours ago, Chappers said:

Not the time to change manager, there just seems to be a hysterical over-reaction to the current slump.

..........that had been going on for 3 months with no sign of it improving.

Some of us care a lot about Bristol City and invest a lot of time and money in supporting them so why they hell shouldn't we be pissed off when we have played embarrassingly rubbish for 3 months and the manager has tried and failed to turn it around.

Anyone who isn't sorely angry with this dreadful situation should really look at how passionate a Bristol City fan they are.

Archived