IGNORED

All you Johnson lovers

Alan Dicks

27 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

..........that had been going on for 3 months with no sign of it improving.

Some of us care a lot about Bristol City and invest a lot of time and money in supporting them so why they hell shouldn't we be pissed off when we have played embarrassingly rubbish for 3 months and the manager has tried and failed to turn it around.

Anyone who isn't sorely angry with this dreadful situation should really look at how passionate a Bristol City fan they are.

Oh **** off Mr super fan, just because we don't leap to the same conclusion as you doesn't make us any less "passionate". We are on target to achieve what many felt at the start of the season would be an acceptable performance, when you include the cup exploits, we have done better than anything achieved in the last 25 years. The only thing that makes this season seem disappointing is the order of the results, not the overall position.

18 hours ago, The_Don said:

We’ve found our level after over achieving in the first half of the season. Things really could be a lot worse.

I must add I’m not an LJ lover, but not a hater either, just want to watch good football, which on the whole this season has provided,

on the half?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh **** off Mr super fan, just because we don't leap to the same conclusion as you doesn't make us any less "passionate". We are on target to achieve what many felt at the start of the season would be an acceptable performance, when you include the cup exploits, we have done better than anything achieved in the last 25 years. The only thing that makes this season seem disappointing is the order of the results, not the overall position.

You are deluded if you think things are OK and heading in the right direction.

20 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

What do you see in him?

What's your hope with him at the helm?

What in your opinion has he achieved as a manager?

Will he ever come good? If so what signs do you see of this happening?

Patience, Alan. It took you nine years to get to the top flight.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Because we are still above a dozen club's with bigger budgets and bigger names. It's not rocket science, seriously, some people on here. ;)

Who has a bigger transfer budget than us? Since when is achievement solely based on budgets. 

18 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Got to give and take though. We did well with Baker last summer and if we can make another couple similar moves for similar financial outlay then I am all for it. I just don’t like the idea of spending 10m on a 27 year old who has only just now found his championship form if that makes sense. 

I look at Millwall though and the done some tidy business this summer past. The type we seem to look past. Saville cost them less than 300k I think. Midfielder who will look to score goals but also doesn’t mind a bit of graft defensively. Jake Cooper free having a hell of a season. Mclaughlin free. All 25 or younger and less than a mil most likely including agents fees. Also probably less wages combined than 1-2 of our top paid players. 

Though i feel I keep coming back to this. These teams sign players, train them in a style then play them. They don’t coddle them. They play them and if they sink they sit. If they swim well you get a season like Millwall. Buy players and play them. If they are behind someone in the pecking order then keep them hungry with appearances when you can and when(because it usually happens) someone is out of form(4-5 matches) you give the other guy a go for a similar amount of time to see if he can win the job. The culture is not cut throat enough here. It is a happy environment and it doesn’t feel like you have to fight for your job. 

Joe - those are the sorts of players we should be buying, not £1.5m on untried players.  I don’t mind the odd one, but our philosophy should we the £free to £500k, with the odd Diedhiou/Baker as the exception.  I like the value of abroad for a 24-27 year old (generic age range), but don’t put all our eggs in that basket.

20 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

What do you see in him?

Here's my opinion of him:

Positives:

• I genuinely believe he cares about this club
  • He can coach a team to play nice passing football
  • He's fairly honest with his opinions on matches
  • He has a good working relationship with the man at the top meaning he can implement his plan without having to fight with the owner
  • He's young and made a good impression with managers at the highest level

Negatives:

• He's got a lot to learn tactically
  • I get the impression he's more of a friend than a boss with his players
  • He seems to have favourite players that he won't drop no matter how bad their form/performance is
  • He's yet to show us he can motivate players when their confidence has been knocked
  • Some of his transfers have been very questionable

I know people will disagree with some, maybe all of that but it's my opinion of him. I think at this point there is nothing to gain from replacing him. I don't think there is a better managerial option out there who would want to take us on and who we could afford, I know some/many may argue that but the simple fact is in the past whenever we've talked of big name managers none have wanted the job or in the one case he bailed on us shortly after joining and even then it could be argued that he was not a big name.

I think we need to see how this season ends, if the team can get a few good results in the final games and if they cannot then the summer and the beginning of next season is going to be crucial for LJ if he wants to keep his job as we need to see progression.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe - those are the sorts of players we should be buying, not £1.5m on untried players.  I don’t mind the odd one, but our philosophy should we the £free to £500k, with the odd Diedhiou/Baker as the exception.  I like the value of abroad for a 24-27 year old (generic age range), but don’t put all our eggs in that basket.

Spot on. Even Liam Walsh a relative gamble. We already have Joe Morrell. Then you look at young midfielders like the boy at Oxford(can’t remember name now was in Everton academy) or aribo at Charlton(Konza at cB too).I wish we’d be in that market more for the simple fact they have played in England. Hell don’t even mind a bigger fee like we did with O’Dowda. Just like having the know how of English football. 

Spending abroad should bring in players like Diedhiou or Kodjia. Exceptional talents at their level in their respective countries. Shopping for young talent abroad seems to be far too risky. Engvall, Moore and Eliasson could be great players but they are finding it to be difficult on top of settling in. 4.5m outlay on them and maybe 15-20 appearances between them. Need to either throw them in or shop closer to home

56 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

We have ten more points than last season with games to spare.... Is improvement not the right direction? 

It would be ok if he had been able to maintain the push when we were 2nd, the position have been surprising to everyone but we got there on merit - form since then has been the same form that saw us struggling last season, unfortunately LJ has more experience in managing dips than correcting them - he has a lot to learn, I only wish some other team was providing learning material!

As much as the last few months have been punishing and a bit of a wake up call to many, we are still not out of this.

Yes the manager, coaches and players have to dig deep in the next two games to get us in it, but a win at home on Tuesday will galvanize everyone for the last four games.

LJ and the team have not effed this up completely quite yet!

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

And more recently we have won 3 games in 22 starts

But the league season is 46 games long.. And doesn't include league games.

I agree we have been shite lately and i am disappointed with how the season has gone since the new year. But anyone would think we are completely out of the race judging by the reaction on here. As it is we are 4 points off the playoffs with 15 left to play for.  Yet people are calling for the head of a manager who took over us when we were releagation fodder....

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

As much as the last few months have been punishing and a bit of a wake up call to many, we are still not out of this.

Yes the manager, coaches and players have to dig deep in the next two games to get us in it, but a win at home on Tuesday will galvanize everyone for the last four games.

LJ and the team have not effed this up completely quite yet!

Correct, not quite but nearly.

I think it would be close to a miracle if we finish inside the top 6 now. Wall, Boro and Derby are back to winning ways or keep winning; you usually find teams doing that this close to the finish line keep it going. 

46 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Correct, not quite but nearly.

I think it would be close to a miracle if we finish inside the top 6 now. Wall, Boro and Derby are back to winning ways or keep winning; you usually find teams doing that this close to the finish line keep it going. 

I think you are right Hav. However the fixture list shows teams playing each other. Two wins and we are in it. But can we all be lifted by Tuesday to do it against a team that will battle for everything. Possibly!

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

It was a cup run that ended in defeat.......

People really need to get over the cup run, as we did not win the thing, it is now utterly irrelevant.

People still haven’t ‘gotten over’ the Liverpool cup win 20+ years ago and that was in the 3rd round. I don’t think not winning it makes it irrelevant.

The fact is that we all support a lower league football team.  We have over 100 years of fairly mediocre achievements and a pretty barren trophy cabinet so there hasn’t really been much to celebrate.  If you’re a Man City / Liverpool / Utd etc. fan then making the semis of the league cup will not register as a success but I would say for us a cup run like this is one to be proud of.  I don’t think anyone who was there that night against Utd will ever forget it.  And that’s not to say I don’t have ambition - I’d love for us to be playing those teams twice a season and for the semi finals of the league cup to not be a big deal but that’s our reality at present. 

I take your point about it having an overall negative impact on our league position though, I think that’s quite likely the case.  The question is was it worth it? We’ll never know for sure (our track record in the pray offs isn’t too great though) but that night at Ashton gate under the lights when Smith scored the winner and the whole of south Bristol seemed to explode, well that is what being a football fan is all about.  

Look, all I want us a good day out and to be entertained on the field.  I think this has been the most enjoyable non-promotion season for many years, and that’s good enough for me.  Up until Christmas we played some of the best football I have ever seen at Ashton Gate, and I’ve been around for a long time.  I like the idea of developing young players, though I accept that there will be ups and downs, and I think we can do better next season, so I’m looking forward to it. Johnson clearly has his faults, but then so do most managers, as we know only too well.  If he can learn from each season and do better the next, then I think the next few years could be good ones.

And if i’m honest, I don’t know if I want to get to the Premiership.  I like 23 matches a season at home, most on a Saturday afternoon.  I like seeing local lads come through and young players developing.  Of course we all want promotion because it’s such a great experience, whatever division you’re in, but I fear what promotion would mean.  Who should we aspire to emulate?  Bournemouth?  Leicester?  The Swansea and Southampton blueprints don’t seem to be going too well.  I think we should be careful what we wish for, and I’m glad that, for a short time at least, we seem to have opted out of the managerial conveyor belt.

On 07/04/2018 at 16:58, Alan Dicks said:

What do you see in him?

I'm not a Johnson lover I'm a Bristol City lover and as such support the incumbent manager but to answer your questions:

He's a decent young British manager who has a desire to play attractive football and wants to develop young talent.

I hope we are successful and push for a pay off / promotion spot year on year

This season it looks like a top 10 finish (highest for a number of years (last time we were this high it was GJ I think) so our 3rd most successful manager (the statistions out there may correct me), a semi final in a proper cup, gave the fans a night to remember beating Man Utd and a fantastic performance at the Etihad, got us playing some great football, turned Bobby Reid into one of the best strikers outside the premiership ........

I think he is coming good, a bit in consistent (as are the players thats why there at Bristol City) and yes seems to struggle to turn things around quickly when we get on a bad run. He has performed better at this level than the last 3 or 4 managers we have had and top 10 shows we are moving in the right direction.

Like everybody I am disappointed that we aren't going to the play offs after being 2nd at Xmas. LJ is a victim of his success in the first half of the season. If we would have been in this position from August this post would not have been made.

1 hour ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I'm not a Johnson lover I'm a Bristol City lover and as such support the incumbent manager but to answer your questions:

He's a decent young British manager who has a desire to play attractive football and wants to develop young talent.

This season it looks like a top 10 finish (highest for a number of years (last time we were this high it was GJ I think) so our 3rd most successful manager (the statistions out there may correct me), a semi final in a proper cup, gave the fans a night to remember beating Man Utd and a fantastic performance at the Etihad, got us playing some great football, turned Bobby Reid into one of the best strikers outside the premiership ........

I think he is coming good, a bit in consistent (as are the players thats why there at Bristol City) and yes seems to struggle to turn things around quickly when we get on a bad run. He has performed better at this level than the last 3 or 4 managers we have had and top 10 shows we are moving in the right direction.

Like everybody I am disappointed that we aren't going to the play offs after being 2nd at Xmas. LJ is a victim of his success in the first half of the season. If we would have been in this position from August this post would not have been made.

‘Bit inconsistent ‘

Hmmmmmmm

:whistle:

you could say that 

Slight understatement 

Still we have ‘hope’

:tumbleweed:

:laughcont:

2 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Where did you get this information from?

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I really thought the league season included league games....now I’m unsure about why I renewed my ST....

Yeah... I noticed this mistake but really couldn't be arsed to edit it! No one else noticed which probably says a lot about how much attention they pay to my posts haha :-)

It is of course meant to be not including cup games.

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Where did you get this information from?

I've based this on the assumption that every supporter of every team wants that team to be successful. Although automatic promotion is the ultimate prize in the championship going to the play offs is the next best.

Are you not disappointed that it looks like we aren't going to the playoffs?

Archived