IGNORED

Is Frankie being told to kick it to the sides?

brady bunch

I am not sure if it’s a plan, but for large parts of the season, ff has been kicking it to the edge of the pitch, where normally it gets turned over or goes out for a throw. With his poor accuracy surely it makes more sense to aim for the middle?

anyone got the championship keepers turnover stats? 

It is clearly a tactic. Unfortunately it's not that easy to do, especially when aiming for the very edge of the pitch, even with height of Flint or the leaps of Bryan. 

Playing up the middle towards Bobby is just gifting possession to the opposition as he is going to struggle in the air against most centre halves. Works slightly better with Diedhiou or Djuric upfront but it's dependent on someone getting into the second ball, which we rarely if ever manage.

If you’re going to lose possession you might as well lose it to the side than down the middle - let’s face it, Bobby won’t win anything in the air and we’re not a big team in the offensive third.

I’d rather see us play out from the back than aim for the touch line but that would be a very dangerous tactic with Frankie who has you on the edge of your seat every time the ball is at his feet! 

31 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I am not sure if it’s a plan, but for large parts of the season, ff has been kicking it to the edge of the pitch, where normally it gets turned over or goes out for a throw. With his poor accuracy surely it makes more sense to aim for the middle?

I am afraid it is. The CB's split,  Flint goes wide right and on the left side JB takes up an equal position on the left around 3 yards before the half way line - the plan is for either of them to win and knock their header to the player 5 yards further down the line and for them to pick up the ball and attack done the line.

Almost 100% fails due to Frankie's stunning ability to kick the ball into touch.

Worth a try and possibility a good tactic now and again....................not every fxxxin time

40 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Last four games. Kicks to the middle Frankie has a passing accuracy of approx 16% including distribution from hands. 

His passing accuracy to the sides is higher. 

10 hours ago, brady bunch said:

He can't kick. Embarrassment. 

22 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes he is being told to kick it to the flanks.

It beats me though how a professional footballer can miss place  his kicks so often, resulting in a good 7 out of 10 going out of play. It so frustrates me. It really isn’t that difficult.

In no way am I defending FF's distribution, but aiming for a player's upper torso some 50/60yds away is not the easiest of targets. I'd love to see people try it themselves... maybe as a half-time entertainment?

Yes he must be deliberately aiming for the flanks as others have said, it happens too much for it to be a fluke. The aim is clearly for us to win the header and lay it on for our advancing players, as has been mentioned. Just as importantly if we lose the challenge and the opposing player gets a touch he is likely to be under pressure and happy to knock it out, we then of course have the throw on the half way line or just beyond. This was especially effective when we had a Magnússon playing, strangely enough we have missed him in the last few games and look worse for it, coincidence?

I understand that the thinking behind keepers kicking to the touchline is as follows.

A kick up the middle is often headed 20/30 yards back towards our goal by opposing centre halves. So our goal kick results in the ball being central on the pitch within 25 yards of our goal. Immediately on the back foot.

Thus a kick to the touchline does not come back so quickly. If we get the first header, we can be in possession in the opposition half. If it goes out of play, that is only a throw in for the other side on the halfway line.

Yes, but at times this season we were employing a different tactic that seemed to bear fruit.

The CBs would drop right back to the edge of the penalty box toward the by line and the fullbacks would spread wide to the touch line higher up.  Korey and Pack would have space to receive the ball at feet.  This would drag the opposition midfield out to close them, leaving space between them the the opposition defence for Pato and Bobby to exploit.  Pack/Smith could pass forward to Pato or Bobby or play out to the full backs who had taken up advanced postions.

Not sure whether this was continually countered by the opposition, so not sure why we don't seem to do this of late.  (Maggers wasn't the best receiving the ball under pressure if he needed to).  Seemed to work for me and was better to watch.

Is he also told to hold onto it for thirty seconds just to give the opposition time to settle back down and make sure we're being fair and aren't trying to catch them unawares?  Frustrates me no end to see him holding the ball, looking from one defender to the other, and back again, then checking exactly where Bryan is, then texting his mum, before finally rolling the ball out to Flint.

Maybe everyone does it and I only notice it with FF, but it always feels like his distribution is particularly slow.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is he also told to hold onto it for thirty seconds just to give the opposition time to settle back down and make sure we're being fair and aren't trying to catch them unawares?  Frustrates me no end to see him holding the ball, looking from one defender to the other, and back again, then checking exactly where Bryan is, then texting his mum, before finally rolling the ball out to Flint.

Maybe everyone does it and I only notice it with FF, but it always feels like his distribution is particularly slow.

My biggest problem with FF. ok distrubution not great. Doesn’t collect crosses but great shot stopper(yes great) and that makes up for the former. He just holds on to the ball too long. Especially on opposing set pieces when he does catch it he will be safe while we could be breaking. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

My biggest problem with FF. ok distrubution not great. Doesn’t collect crosses but great shot stopper(yes great) and that makes up for the former. He just holds on to the ball too long. Especially on opposing set pieces when he does catch it he will be safe while we could be breaking. 

So it isn't just me that sees this. 

Even on Saturday I swear there were times when O'Dowda, Paterson, Reid or Brownhill were looking to get on their bike, all it needed was a quick thro from FF and they'd have had a chance to run at a back-pedalling defender.  No guarantee it leads to anything but it would at least mix it up and make us a little less predictable.

I think there is also the fact that in Flint, Baker, and to an extent Bryan and Pisano, we don't seem to have anyone in the back four who is a natural at launching an attack.  Flint can hoof it a long distance but I don't think he's that accurate.  I think back to Ayling who was so comfortable at running forward into midfield (and beyond) that FF could quickly roll it to him and be done with it.  I miss that.

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pack pretty nearly lost it with him at Millwall just before HT over this maybe? He was screaming at him to play the ball out to him as he was just a couple of yards away but Frankie was having none of it and wanted to play it wide. I got the feeling Pack was trying to switch it round a bit, and Frankie was either doing his own thing or getting orders elsewhere, it was like they had been working on one thing and doing another. The HT whistle blew not long after and Frankie bombed down the tunnel, quickly followed by Flint who also ran off ( which is usual for him), Pack meanwhile seemed to be continuing the discussion with anyone that would listen as he walked off. Got to admit I could understand Pack’s frustration.

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

Yes, but at times this season we were employing a different tactic that seemed to bear fruit.

The CBs would drop right back to the edge of the penalty box toward the by line and the fullbacks would spread wide to the touch line higher up.  Korey and Pack would have space to receive the ball at feet.  This would drag the opposition midfield out to close them, leaving space between them the the opposition defence for Pato and Bobby to exploit.  Pack/Smith could pass forward to Pato or Bobby or play out to the full backs who had taken up advanced postions.

Not sure whether this was continually countered by the opposition, so not sure why we don't seem to do this of late.  (Maggers wasn't the best receiving the ball under pressure if he needed to).  Seemed to work for me and was better to watch.

Bristol City academy teams play like that. The top XI no longer.

I will go further if the top one or two are pushed up and Frankie goes long v rolling it out it that can also create an overload in midfield in Citys favour when the opposition CBs clear it. 

It adds variety. Poses questions for the opposition. It creates space to pass through thirds. And assists a Keeper with a glaring deficiency in his game.

It also creates a high press from midfield. And also helps to maintain more possession for a team that is supposedly a team that passes the ball short and presses high ... Becoming a fable that one.

That Mr Johnson chooses to freely lose possession through Fieldings inaccuracy brings into question what type of team Bristol City are.

Mr Johnsons tactic of going long to the sides slows the game down and is wasteful. There is merit in it for teams set up to play that way .. I would suggest its retrogressive for this one.

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnsons tactic of going long to the sides slows the game down and is wasteful. There is merit in it for teams set up to play that way .. I would suggest its retrogressive for this one.

I agree it is a retrograde step, but why take it?  I can only imagine disruption to the team through injury and lack of confidence in replacements is the major factor.   I can't believe it's LJs preference as we didn't start the season playing the long ball to wings.  

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

So it isn't just me that sees this. 

Even on Saturday I swear there were times when O'Dowda, Paterson, Reid or Brownhill were looking to get on their bike, all it needed was a quick thro from FF and they'd have had a chance to run at a back-pedalling defender.  No guarantee it leads to anything but it would at least mix it up and make us a little less predictable.

I think there is also the fact that in Flint, Baker, and to an extent Bryan and Pisano, we don't seem to have anyone in the back four who is a natural at launching an attack.  Flint can hoof it a long distance but I don't think he's that accurate.  I think back to Ayling who was so comfortable at running forward into midfield (and beyond) that FF could quickly roll it to him and be done with it.  I miss that.

No not just you. Was more noticeable earlier in the year as the entire squad seemed more energetic. There would even be groan from the crowd at times and occasionally a player would have a go at FF. it just seems to be in his nature to play it safe most of the time. Think when he gets overconfident you get incidents like Wolves. Is what it is. Good keeper but think should be upgraded on if possible. Easier said than done of course but I’d be looking for someone bigger, stronger and more positional awareness in terms of sweeping and coming for crosses. The distribution for me while annoying is secondary with what I want from my keeper. 

Archived