IGNORED

Is Frankie being told to kick it to the sides?

brady bunch

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:41, Red Army Faction said:

gI agree it is a retrograde step, but why take it?  I can only imagine disruption to the team through injury and lack of confidence in replacements is the major factor.   I can't believe it's LJs preference as we didn't start the season playing the long ball to wings.  

I have tried to understand it. There are reasons why kicking to the sides can be beneficial if the team was opting to split (post 7) and/or drop as you posted. In the pedestrian and half arsed manner goal kicks are approached I cannot see any benefit in it. 

It indicates a lack of faith in the players and their technique. It also calls into question what Bristol City are? After all the guff about identity, dna, the project Bristol City's Head coach comes up with this ineffectual set piece. 

Punting the ball further down the pitch out of play and then aggressively pressing the throw in options would make more sense. That would have some aim to it.

Choosing to concede possession, and that is what Mr Johnson is doing around the half way line is looking like stupidity. It is shit football. Shit!

On 08/04/2018 at 22:06, Laner said:

In no way am I defending FF's distribution, but aiming for a player's upper torso some 50/60yds away is not the easiest of targets. I'd love to see people try it themselves... maybe as a half-time entertainment?

No,no, players are moving objects, he’s no way of picking an exact target out, he’s aiming for the flanks where it’s up to a player to attack. 

If it was a case of our players  never winning the ball then it’d be there fault. But so many are going straight out of play over their heads.

i think even at my age I could kick 9 out of 10 to hit a group of players on the wing without it sailing over their heads.

I understand the benefits of kicking towards the touchline but it infuriates me how he tries to hit Flint/Bryan's head literally on the line. Why doesn't he aim 10 yards inside allowing them to attack it? Then if he gets it wrong then it's not going to go out quite so often.

3 minutes ago, joeyb said:

I understand the benefits of kicking towards the touchline but it infuriates me how he tries to hit Flint/Bryan's head literally on the line. Why doesn't he aim 10 yards inside allowing them to attack it? Then if he gets it wrong then it's not going to go out quite so often.

I’ve come to a bit of a belief that he’s told to make sure it’s very wide even to the extent that it’s not too bad if ball goes out as we can compress and in theory / hopefully win the ball back up the pitch from their throw

Not suggesting he’s told to find touch as such but I wonder whether that’s a close second choice in the plan / thinking

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ve come to a bit of a belief that he’s told to make sure it’s very wide even to the extent that it’s not too bad if ball goes out as we can compress and in theory / hopefully win the ball back up the pitch from their throw

Not suggesting he’s told to find touch as such but I wonder whether that’s a close second choice in the plan / thinking

It's hard to come up with any other reasonable explanation.

9 hours ago, joeyb said:

Because the team if it goes wrong will be in a poor position to defend it if its dropped in short. Flint and Bryan will be the wrong side of the ball and the team instantly out of shape. If the ball goes out on the full City have time to set up.

Similarly if City split for a goal kick and Frankie goes central and the ball is not secured the shape of the team is open to counter.

Archived