IGNORED

Squad Overhaul in Summer

westonred

Who would you get rid of at the end of the season ?

We are now clearly struggling and the squad needs an major overhaul in the summer but some people on here don't seem to want to get rid of any of the current players at any cost

Its clearly not working and we need a change but players like Fielding, Pisano, Flint, Baker, Maggers, Bryan, Pack, Smith and Reid can do wrong in some peoples eyes

We need to wake up and realise that a number of these players are just not doing it for us anymore and need to be shipped out to allow us to bring in proven Championship players

You see the replys to this and people saying "We need to keep Pack beacuse" or "we can't get rid of Fielding because" well we need to be brutal and get rid of a few 'fans favourites' to allow us to rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d worry about getting rid of Engvall , Taylor , Hegeler, as well as shipping back the loanees ‘Return to sender’ first !,

id also be amiable to offers for Wight , Magnússon and even Famara and Duric if the money was reasonable 

Hilarious threads. As I've said many times. Experience is what gets you out of this league. Proven quality. Quality over quantity and certainly not your Woodrows and Dionys. 

Assuming Engvall and the loanees off. O'Neil is 34 isn't he, and his contract is up, assuming he's on decent money too? Don't bother to renew.

Others? Taylor.

That alone should free up some money for one or 2 quality players. We have quite a few good squad players, perhaps what I'd call 6 or 7 out of 10 players...

Reliable, versatile- not outstanding but very useful to have over a long season. 

8 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Hilarious threads. As I've said many times. Experience is what gets you out of this league. Proven quality. Quality over quantity and certainly not your Woodrows and Dionys. 

Why aren't Villa and Boro top 2 then?

Who has more experience in this League- Villa or Wolves? It's Villa by a country mile.

Boro also have a decent amount, look at who they got in summer?? So too, do Derby.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d worry about getting rid of Engvall , Taylor , Hegeler, as well as shipping back the loanees ‘Return to sender’ first !,

id also be amiable to offers for Wight , Magnússon and even Famara and Duric if the money was reasonable 

I still think Taylor has something that we lack - an aggression and nigliness and could come good. I’d give him more time. Certainly as a regular bench / back up player. The rest I agree with. Think Bryan, Flint and Reid will be gone as well. Going to be another busy summer I think. 

Dependent on their attitudes and desire to still be here In simple terms Id be basing my future side around the spine we still have 

FF (Unless we spend a lot of money and could get a top keeper)

Flint (I think sadly we will lose Flint and personally think that may prove catastrophic)

Smith

Reid

Possibly Pack

(There’s a theme there :whistle:)

(Plus keeping hold of and developing Vyner & Kelly)

Any other player would be sellable / replaceable for me

Obvious starting point of course is whoever we want to sell then someone has to want to buy them.

If I recall correctly only O’Neil, Golbourne and Garita (remember him?) are out of contract and all 3 of them will obviously go.

Engvall seems to have confirmed that he expects to be sold and if we lower our price enough then he will go back to Sweden.

I would certainly look to move on Taylor and Hegeler, after that maybe Magnússon and Steele, too. I like Steele but at 33 if he isn’t first choice then we need to bring in someone who will be.

Other side of the coin is those we get bids for that we won’t be able to reject, sadly I expect that to be Reid.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

I still think Taylor has something that we lack - an aggression and nigliness and could come good. I’d give him more time. Certainly as a regular bench / back up player. 

Understand what you’re saying

Time to start getting ruthless though len

Have to ask the question is Player A good enough or can be to cut it in Top End Championship (If that’s our intention)

Aggression / niggliness isn’t enough mate

Is he good enough at this level atm (Not IMHO)

Can he be (More difficult , but being ruthless / decisive No. IMHO)

Accept a decent offer , free wages, move on

Any offers for Magnússon, Bryan, Wright, Diedhiou, Engvall, Taylor, Hegeler should be accepted. Steele released. 

Bryan because I honestly feel his head has been elsewhere since January and has made many errors costing in goals, sometimes I feel he looks he can run quicker but doesn't.

The rest i'm sure you all agree with on the whole.

2 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Bryan needs to go

Fielding needs to go

Baker wants to go

Bryan and Baker I agree with but not Fielding

How many points has he won us this season? OK his distribution isn't great but we won't find a better goalkeeper for anything under 3 million

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Bryan and Baker I agree with but not Fielding

How many points has he won us this season? OK his distribution isn't great but we won't find a better goalkeeper for anything under 3 million

How many points has he lost as well?

He just flaps to much & does stupid stuff, Steele also has a huge weakness in Set pieces I understand why he not played he needs moving on.

there keepers out there & if there serious then they should buy a decent keeper as they can waste millions on players not up to the mark

Personally feel like we need to trim quite a bit from the squad. Easier said than done of course. 

Diony, Kent and Woodrow can all go back no worries. 

Then Taylor, Hegeler, GON, and Engvall can go. I would personally say these are the first that should go. Not near the first team really. 

Then need to decide on players like Bryan, Flint, Brownhill, Reid, and Baker. What are their prices? How many of that core are we willing to lose? I assume they may all get interest from clubs above us. 

Then players like Pack, Wright and Magnússon. Are we better off selling and bringing in better quality/youth in for them? 

So if it were up to me and I could sell or release easily enough I would let the loanees return. I would sell or release GON, Engvall, Hegeler and Matty Taylor. I would sell 2 of 3 Flint, Bryan and Reid(offering a big new contract first of course). Then I would try to move Wright and Magnússon to open up minutes for Vyner, Moore and Kelly. 

Build around what we have left. If Bryan and Flint were to go I would have Kelly replace Bryan but would look to spend Flint money on a proven CB. Also a proven CM that can do multiple jobs in midfield. The squad is too bloated and needs more trimming than adding to. Play the younger players more and add experience to key areas like CB and CM. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Understand what you’re saying

Time to start getting ruthless though len

Have to ask the question is Player A good enough or can be to cut it in Top End Championship (If that’s our intention)

Aggression / niggliness isn’t enough mate

Is he good enough at this level atm (Not IMHO)

Can he be (More difficult , but being ruthless / decisive No. IMHO)

Accept a decent offer , free wages, move on

Agree Bob it’s not enough on its own - but it’s something we are so massively lack at the moment that I’m just trying to piece where it’s gone wrong - maybe I am clutching at straws!  Still think he offers us something different and deserves another crack though. 

Unfortunately I fear we’ll have a lot bigger fish to worry about anyway, it’s going to be (another) interesting summer.  

3 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

How many points has he lost as well?

He just flaps to much & does stupid stuff, Steele also has a huge weakness in Set pieces I understand why he not played he needs moving on.

there keepers out there & if there serious then they should buy a decent keeper as they can waste millions on players not up to the mark

Can't remember the last time he 'flapped'

In fact he produced a splendid punch early on yesterday when our defence had fallen asleep which stopped them taking an even earlier lead.

There would be no need to buy a decent keeper when we already have a very good one.

35 minutes ago, westonred said:

We are now clearly struggling and the squad needs an major overhaul in the summer but some people on here don't seem to want to get rid of any of the current players at any cost

Its clearly not working and we need a change but players like Fielding, Pisano, Flint, Baker, Maggers, Bryan, Pack, Smith and Reid can do wrong in some peoples eyes

We need to wake up and realise that a number of these players are just not doing it for us anymore and need to be shipped out to allow us to bring in proven Championship players

You see the replys to this and people saying "We need to keep Pack beacuse" or "we can't get rid of Fielding because" well we need to be brutal and get rid of a few 'fans favourites' to allow us to rebuild. 

We are not going to bring in proven championship players as it would not fit into the current plan.....so dump the manager change the plan and we have change or......everything will be the same this time next year.

I think a key question is not who do we want to get rid of, but who wants to stay? I can't help thinking how our non-performances, especially recently, remind me of when chelsea's players downed tools to get rid of their chosen one. And judging by LJ's rant of "they are playing for their futures" (projection perhaps?) there are signs that all is not quiet along the western front. There was itk talk last season of players going above LJ's head to make complaints, and tomlin's penalty miss is as clear as it is still in orbit. O'neil fit for eight weeks this season, etc. How far removed from the squad is SL, considering his time in the country is limited to, what, 90 days? Does he hear what we hear, ie only a pre-scripted, pr edited, "truth"? Oh to be a fly on the wall...

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Dependent on their attitudes and desire to still be here In simple terms Id be basing my future side around the spine we still have 

FF (Unless we spend a lot of money and could get a top keeper)

Flint (I think sadly we will lose Flint and personally think that may prove catastrophic)

Smith

Reid

Possibly Pack

(There’s a theme there :whistle:)

(Plus keeping hold of and developing Vyner & Kelly)

Any other player would be sellable / replaceable for me

I agree but I’d add COD to the list 

How long do you give players to develop, bed in, play the way the coach wants to?

There are 4-5 players who have been at the club 4+ seasons now, has the time come to move them on or are they still developing?

Is it time to bring in those young players who have been out on loan and start integrating them into the first team squad - how long do we need to get them up to required standard?

Do we have more French imports on the radar as better value for money?

Whatever happens over the summer I expect the club to stick to their plan with quite a few outgoings due to contracts ending. We may lose a couple of our high performers but that’s football

Whoever they bring in needs to fit in with LJs playing style which when it works is exciting and entertaining, but need a plan B

I dare say we could all come up with our own wish list of ins and outs but we will all need to be patient and see what develops over the summer.

The coaching staff and MA should know by now after 3 seasons what is required to compete in this division - let the speculation begin

@tinman85

Boly at Wolves? Not played at this level, don't bother.

Jota? Who!? Can't be signing a young unproven guy...

Bonatini? Young, plus where is his Championship experience...

Barry Douglas? Turkish league, who is good there?

They have Ruddy and Bennett who are good experienced players at this level though which undoubtedly boosted them.

My point is though, no such thing as a magic bullet. None at all. Villa lost at Norwich and aren't fully guaranteed a playoff place. Yet look how many games have between them at this level. No guarantees at this level, not one IOTA.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

said a very similar thing on my rip it up and start again thread, we do need to get rid of some of our so called stars because with them we are not exactly tearing up the championship and should cash in while we can, it's not a popular idea though.

Archived