IGNORED

Squad Overhaul in Summer

westonred

This sort of post is bound to get out of hand in it's thread BUT FOR ANYONE WANTING TO RID OF ANY OR MANY OF THE FIRST TEAM SQUAD BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!! IF they arent good enough in your opinion, you are implying, by definition that Lee Johnson did such an amazing job from pre-season to Jan 2nd (Villa) that he MUST BE the most amazing young pretender coach in the championship (as many media jokers did during the Manc games) and therefore irreplaceable for several seasons. Is that you really want?

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Reid and Bryan will definitely go. O'Neill, Taylor, Diony, Woodrow, Kent etc dropping out of the bottom of the squad.

We'll need a replacement for Reid, a left sided player and as much as I love Smith/Pack we need an upgrade in that position.

Central midfield is where we need some pace and creativity. 

I would keep Hegeler as he is a much better footballer than many realise and he can play in several defensive positions. 

Hope we can keep Bobby but suspect he, Joe Bryan and Flint will leave. 

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Frank Fielding - keep. If need to replace: Bialkowski from Ipswich

Pisano: keep & get fit over the summer.

Flint: keep. If need to replace, try Vyner.

Baker: will struggle to recoup £3.75M if sold. Kelly could play at LCB but risk to play both Kelly & Vyner together in central defence.

Wright: sell if the price is right, especially if he features well for Australia at the World Cup.

Magnússon: as per Wright if we can make a decent profit.

Bryan: either sell or move him into midfield. Play Kelly at LB.

Pack: keep. If sold need to replace with someone similar.

Smith: keep but needs to play further forward.

Brownhill: keep.

O'Dowda: keep.

Elliasson: keep.

Paterson: keep but work on him both physically & psychologically.

Reid: if at all possible keep. Will be the hardest to replace & I would have scoffed if you had said that this time last season!

Diedhiou: keep unless £10M offer. If he played all season might get 20 goals, and that type of striker really costs.

Djuric: Keep. Offers something different.

O'Neill: Contract won't be renewed.

Hegeler: sell if we can.

Taylor: Sell if we can.

Engvall: Sell as not going to feature under LJ.

Walsh: send out on loan to L1. 

Diony: release

Woodrow: release

Kent: release

Steele: offer another year as back-up.

Kelly: Keep & play.

Vyner: Keep & try playing.

Moore: If not going to make first team squad, look to sell.

McCoulsky: hope he fully recovers from illness & try to bring him on at this level.

As for the other youngsters, e.g. Morrell, Hinds etc: keep and reassess ability at Championship level.

Agree with all of that, except I’d class Baker as an essential player to keep

44 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Agree with all of that, except I’d class Baker as an essential player to keep

I’m going to go against all I’ve said about Baker, and say I wouldn’t mind someone taking him off our hands.  As good a player as he can be, I’ve started to see the "I’m not here for the fight" attitude.  Would rather keep Flint as I sit here tonight. 

7 hours ago, Neo said:

My starting XI - August :-

New GK

New RB - Flint - Baker - Kelly

COD - Smith - Pack - New LM

REID - New ST

So presuming yesterday starting XI :

Pisano - cover or sell

Bryan - cash in to strengthen

Patterson - sub

Brownhill - sub

Get rid of :-

Engvail

Kent

Diony

Walsh

O’Neill

Sorry Neo, I can't agree with you about our two central midfielders. Neither has much pace, neither can be relied on for any goals, unless we play Man U every week. Korey is the better IMO at being the cover in front of the back four so keep him but Pack is IMO never going to be a good top of championship midfielder. 

I also think Baker will be gone - something happened recently to sour relationship with LJ? 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info, here’s our squad with contract data:

Bit of guesswork for the likes of Hinds, Bakinson, etc.

We will doing an end of season summary, but this is the preparation spreadsheet.

828120F1-BF8D-4C13-80DC-EEC92D9BF1C3.jpeg

All those strikers and only 2 of them can actually start a game, and only 3 of them are good enough to play in a league game 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We will doing an end of season summary, but this is the preparation spreadsheet.

I like your spreadsheet Dave. What strikes me is that there are a huge number of ‘Johnson’ signings, yet 6 of our most-utilised players were signed by previous managers or from academy. 

That makes 23 Johnson signings, of which only 5 are considered regular first XI. 

This doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Of all those 23 Johnson signings, there isn’t a single one who I’d say is a 100% MUST keep. 

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Golbourne missing off that list and he's OOC this year

25 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

I like your spreadsheet Dave. What strikes me is that there are a huge number of ‘Johnson’ signings, yet 6 of our most-utilised players were signed by previous managers or from academy. 

That makes 23 Johnson signings, of which only 5 are considered regular first XI. 

Of all those 23 Johnson signings, there isn’t a single one who I’d say is a 100% MUST keep. 

Squad depth?

Quite a few if utilised better could provide better depth and rotation options. Not all naturally, but a reasonable number.

1 hour ago, Enter Sandman said:

Take away the L1 winning players and we’d be looking very thin ‘first pics’ and backbone

If we had a player of the season I’m not sure their would be too many votes outside 

FF JB AF KS MP BR

Afer 2 1/2 years and after 4 windows !!!!!

Tells it’s own story 

What will be very revealing is when a few of our flops / purchases move on and how they do elsewhere

We will then have a better idea if they are a result of poor recruitment and poor players for our level or decent players LJ couldn’t utilise / get performing / misjudged

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Take away the L1 winning players and we’d be looking very thin ‘first pics’ and backbone

If we had a player of the season I’m not sure their would be too many votes outside 

FF JB AF KS MP BR

Afer 2 1/2 years and after 4 windows !!!!!

Tells it’s own story 

It says a lot and it scares the crap out of me. His inability to upgrade the spine will be his downfall.

3 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

It says a lot and it scares the crap out of me. His inability to upgrade the spine will be his downfall.

That’s two of us

The next set of transfers is make or break for him

Problem is if they / he gets it wrong we will be in real trouble IMHO 

Take out Flint / Smith / Reid  and , Bryan to some degree , and I don’t fancy many of the others in a relegation battle 

24 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

You say that, but our spine is the strongest part of our team and has shown to be of a standard to challenge for the play offs, surely its the rest of the squad he should therefore be looking to improve? When the spine is no longer the strength of the team then you look to upgrade it. 

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

You say that, but our spine is the strongest part of our team and has shown to be of a standard to challenge for the play offs, surely its the rest of the squad he should therefore be looking to improve? When the spine is no longer the strength of the team then you look to upgrade it. 

I think Milo means when some of the spine depart, / we lose one or two

The rest of the team is his additions , the spine holding it together (Not  his recruits) is about to be broken up I’d suggest 

I know we've had a bad few months but I don't feel the level of doom and gloom about the squad as a whole as many others.

Can it be improved? Of course, show me a squad that cannot be.

Is there deadwood? Very much so- but as above, show me a squad with none.

For me:

OUT- the loans, aka Steele, Kent, Woodrow and Diony.

Our players out of contract: Golbourne, O'Neil and Garita. Don't know who J.Smith is, nor did I know McLousky out of contract. Club have a decision to make tbh.

Loan Engvall but ideally sell him if possible.

Taylor? Played a part in our survival, but now not up to it IMO.

Moore, Morrell, Bakinson and Hinds. Case by case basis as to whether we bring them in or loan out for another years experience. Loan Eliasson or give him a proper crack.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know we've had a bad few months but I don't feel the level of doom and gloom about the squad as a whole as many others.

Can it be improved? Of course, show me a squad that cannot be.

Is there deadwood? Very much so- but as above, show me a squad with none.

For me:

OUT- the loans, aka Steele, Kent, Woodrow and Diony.

Steele was a free transfer, not a loan.  Got a year option on him

Our players out of contract: Golbourne, O'Neil and Garita. Don't know who J.Smith is, nor did I know McLousky out of contract. Club have a decision to make tbh.

Bit of research says we’ve got a year option on Shawn... I will update my spreadsheet (my bad).

Loan Engvall but ideally sell him if possible.

Taylor? Played a part in our survival, but now not up to it IMO.

Moore, Morrell, Bakinson and Hinds. Case by case basis as to whether we bring them in or loan out for another years experience. Loan Eliasson or give him a proper crack.

Updated with corrections and what window they were signed in.

B2181335-B917-4EC1-9F1B-19BFB8B6238A.thumb.jpeg.b8c7559ea67309f67807ac625741a608.jpeg

Given the way we recruit players, watching numerous games, various assessment meetings with the management team etc, all before the little red book gets sent out in the post detailing the City manifesto, I'd be reasonably confident (worried) that this summer's signings are already well on the clubs radar. 

I believe that's what stuffed January. By mid November given the pressure on the squad it seemed obvious what we needed to do to push on. Instead I think the management team stuck to their plan and that was what we got.

I think we are all missing the pertinent question.

It's not about which better players we want to keep.

It's all about which players decide they want out.

If Flint, Bryan, Pack Smith Reid Baker,COD, Frankie, Mags etc want to go - their agents will find a way to make that happen.

And that will tell the true story of the status of the dressing room - if mass transfers occur, then there is something rotten in the state of Denmark (apologies to Shakespear!)

All of the above will attract interest as will Fammy and Milan, Wright Pisano, Kelly , Vyner, Baker etc.

If a lot of teams make approaches the managers of that club are virtually saying "I can make this guy play better for us than Johnson can at Bristol City"

All the players (except the loanees) have shown they can play very very well in patches.

I'd wager a lot of managers think they can do better than Johnson and will urge their clubs board to put in serious offers

I'd also wager a lot of players think they will enjoy more success elsewhere - either financially or with a promotion.

The transfer activity will show everyone just EXACTLY what our own players and other managers think of Lee Johnson.

54 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The rest of the team is his additions , the spine holding it together (Not  his recruits) is about to be broken up I’d suggest 

Exactly what I meant bob. Thanks :clapping:

that spine will eventually move on for higher wages elsewhere and I can only see Johnson making a mess of replacing it.

we have already seen him less that impressed himself with baker recently. Who hasn’t been here a year yet and should really be a lynchpin in the LJ spine for the next few years. Bailey Wright is ok at this level but I’m not sure he is top 6 champ material. Fam looks to be ok again but not great.

Players I would keep assuming they want to stay.

Kelly  Flint   Smith Brownhill 

Reid odowda

Outside of these items don't think any are massively important and could easily be replaced.

We have way too many players who don't play.Need to trim down all the loans and ones for future and have 18 players who can all play if needed. 

21 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

There won't be any "proven" Championship players coming in, that is not the strategy, and one that is supported by many on here.

Any sales will be replaced by cheaper alternatives that we can "develop" and sell on.

That is the plan and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

And it is a good plan.

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Players I would keep assuming they want to stay.

Kelly  Flint   Smith Brownhill 

Reid odowda

Outside of these items don't think any are massively important and could easily be replaced.

We have way too many players who don't play.Need to trim down all the loans and ones for future and have 18 players who can all play if needed. 

Not Baker?

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yet he’s being criticised for not replacing the spine of the team when none of them have yet left ! Only on OTIB ! 

Archived