IGNORED

We could still get in the play-offs

AshtonGreat

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

62 shots at our goal in the last three fixtures, yet we can’t seem to muster a decent attempt on an opposition’s goal..

When you put it like that it makes you think the City 'effort' is bordering on fraud. Its what everybody has been saying after all; given up, fan pays an entry fee, did not receive the service he or she paid for, no refund... Maybe a hundred or a thousand fans should ask for one. Its actually a legal right to request a refund when a service or product does not do what it says it should do. Football should provide a combination of effort and entertainment. It seems both are not being provided.

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

We have by far the easiest run-in out of us, Millwall and Boro, and we still have to play Boro. Come on, boys, recreate some of that pre-Christmas form and we can do this!

We’ve got an easy game tomorrow have we? Brum are up for it and fighting for results. We’ve gone to pieces and I can only see an away win! 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

We’ve got an easy game tomorrow have we? Brum are up for it and fighting for results. We’ve gone to pieces and I can only see an away win! 

Plus in the last 20 years?

2 draws and 11 losses for us v Birmingham. I never remember us beating them and our form since Easter means I can't see that changing sadly.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plus in the last 20 years?

2 draws and 11 losses for us v Birmingham. I never remember us beating them and our form since Easter means I can't see that changing sadly.

Our last win against them was in 1993 in L1, 3-0 at AG, so worse than record against Brentford which we were talking about before the last home game

So for what it's worth I thought you could see that Bristol City had some decent footballers on the pitch - even your defenders were comfortable on the ball.

But, as one poster on here suggested too, you don't seem to have that character needed at this stage of the season. I'll admit I'm not a fan of your manager, he just seems a bit flaky to me, all talk and no substance. And I think your team reflects that. They do say football teams are a reflection of their manager - and on that, I just thought we looked more determined, harder, more ballsey than you did. We may not be silky and smooth, but we're real scrapers like the manager.

I'm reading Johan Cruyftt's autobiography at the moment, he says managers need personality to succeed.  I agree. Harris was bombed out of professional football as a kid, had to fight his way back in via non-league, whilst holding down a job in the real world and when he has made it and became Golden Boot winner when we won League One he was struck down with cancer. He got better, he got fit and went on to help us get to a Cup Final and into Europe and break Teddy Sheringham's Millwall goal scoring record. 

So when people wonder why Millwall are doing so well then they should look no further than our manager. He has personality. And has said he only wants players with character playing for. 

I'm sorry, but I can't see you lot making the play-offs based on what I saw Saturday. Not for lack of talent, but lack of personality. Reid was the only Bristol City player wanting to make things happen, taking responsibility and bollocking his team mates (was fuming they weren't getting tight to Morison at a throw in). 

Bristol is a cool and exciting city, Bristol City need a manager with swagger and a bit of cockyness in my opinion - but backed up by life experience. I'm not sure Lee, son of a relatively successful and therefore affluent manager, has had enough knocks in life to give him that extra you need to make it at this level. However, perhaps that's unfair, as trying to emulate your dad can be hard and having to deal with acquisitions of neoplism as player would be tough too. But, I don't get the impression he's tough enough.

Bristol City came out and played some nice football for a bit - but anyone can do that really. The moment they went 1-0 they looked little boys lost. The only game this season we've had an easier match against obviously talented players was v another flaky outfit in Leeds United. 

7 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

So for what it's worth I thought you could see that Bristol City had some decent footballers on the pitch - even your defenders were comfortable on the ball.

But, as one poster on here suggested too, you don't seem to have that character needed at this stage of the season. I'll admit I'm not a fan of your manager, he just seems a bit flaky to me, all talk and no substance. And I think your team reflects that. They do say football teams are a reflection of their manager - and on that, I just thought we looked more determined, harder, more ballsey than you did. We may not be silky and smooth, but we're real scrapers like the manager.

I'm reading Johan Cruyftt's autobiography at the moment, he says managers need personality to succeed.  I agree. Harris was bombed out of professional football as a kid, had to fight his way back in via non-league, whilst holding down a job in the real world and when he has made it and became Golden Boot winner when we won League One he was struck down with cancer. He got better, he got fit and went on to help us get to a Cup Final and into Europe and break Teddy Sheringham's Millwall goal scoring record. 

So when people wonder why Millwall are doing so well then they should look no further than our manager. He has personality. And has said he only wants players with character playing for. 

I'm sorry, but I can't see you lot making the play-offs based on what I saw Saturday. Not for lack of talent, but lack of personality. Reid was the only Bristol City player wanting to make things happen, taking responsibility and bollocking his team mates (was fuming they weren't getting tight to Morison at a throw in). 

Bristol is a cool and exciting city, Bristol City need a manager with swagger and a bit of cockyness in my opinion - but backed up by life experience. I'm not sure Lee, son of a relatively successful and therefore affluent manager, has had enough knocks in life to give him that extra you need to make it at this level. However, perhaps that's unfair, as trying to emulate your dad can be hard and having to deal with acquisitions of neoplism as player would be tough too. But, I don't get the impression he's tough enough.

Bristol City came out and played some nice football for a bit - but anyone can do that really. The moment they went 1-0 they looked little boys lost. The only game this season we've had an easier match against obviously talented players was v another flaky outfit in Leeds United. 

Pretty much spot on. I have been getting this feeling lately(mind you we were absolutely destroying teams earlier this season). LJ just seems too soft and too nice. When it gets tough he stays the same. Like it is ok lads we will get them next time. Think this is why his teams tend to have large stretches of terrible form because he thinks being nice and caring they will eventually turn it around. He isn’t wrong but it’ll be 10-12 games too late. Wasn’t until we got battered last season(had been losing by a goal most games) at Preston that he seemed annoyed and changed things.

I do feel teams need a manager that refelcts what the club is about. Sadly we seem to want to be a nice family day out and LJ is the face of that. Feels like results are almost secondary to what the club actually want. Want to be a family friendly money making club rather than a competitive one. They have no clue how to mix both and feel we will always fall short on the pitch while this is the thought process. 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Pretty much spot on. I have been getting this feeling lately(mind you we were absolutely destroying teams earlier this season). LJ just seems too soft and too nice. When it gets tough he stays the same. Like it is ok lads we will get them next time. Think this is why his teams tend to have large stretches of terrible form because he thinks being nice and caring they will eventually turn it around. He isn’t wrong but it’ll be 10-12 games too late. Wasn’t until we got battered last season(had been losing by a goal most games) at Preston that he seemed annoyed and changed things.

I do feel teams need a manager that refelcts what the club is about. Sadly we seem to want to be a nice family day out and LJ is the face of that. Feels like results are almost secondary to what the club actually want. Want to be a family friendly money making club rather than a competitive one. They have no clue how to mix both and feel we will always fall short on the pitch while this is the thought process. 

I agree with you Joe, there is something wrong in the attitude.

No fight, no desire, no determination - something that is hugely surprising given what was on offer.

Those attributes need to be within the squad but the coaches have a responsibility to keep them at the forefront of the players minds - clearly that is not happening.

I get a sense, and of course I could be totally wrong, that within all of them they are not that bothered about promotion - whether that is the message they have been given internally by the club I don't know.

I wasn't at Millwall but after the Brentford game I did not sense any real feeling of anger and disappointment on the pitch.

I think they are already ' on the beach'.

#toocosy

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep I agree with pretty much all of that Joe....although to be fair, in the run up to that horrendous 5-0 defeat at PNE last season we had drawn 2 and won 2 of the previous 5 matches - so it looked like we had sort of turned a corner in some ways then wallop...a 5-0 reverse and LJ comes out and says he’s “run out of ideas, doesn’t know what to do and it’s back to the drawing board” - a strange reaction....

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

When you put it like that it makes you think the City 'effort' is bordering on fraud. Its what everybody has been saying after all; given up, fan pays an entry fee, did not receive the service he or she paid for, no refund... Maybe a hundred or a thousand fans should ask for one. Its actually a legal right to request a refund when a service or product does not do what it says it should do. Football should provide a combination of effort and entertainment. It seems both are not being provided.

Do you honestly feel that players, either collectively or individually, aren’t trying? Do you think they genuinely don’t want to succeed?

I see a side devoid of any belief or confidence but I don’t see a side not trying. 

Not succeeeing, certainly, but I don’t think lack of effort is the problem. 

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Do you honestly feel that players, either collectively or individually, aren’t trying? Do you think they genuinely don’t want to succeed?

I see a side devoid of any belief or confidence but I don’t see a side not trying. 

Not succeeeing, certainly, but I don’t think lack of effort is the problem. 

Agree, although I’ve only seen home games.  They can’t get a spark.  Either the spark comes from an event on the pitch, or from the inspiration of the coach (+ staff).

Threats like "you’re playing for your future" don’t work in the cushy life of a Championship Footballer in-contract!!  If the players really aren’t bothered, they will be laughing at him.  I don’t think that is the case. 

Yes we’ve been shite for a while and doesn’t seem like turning around anytime soon but this is football we are only 4 points off a play off position and there are some massive games yet to come especially how many of the teams around us who still have to play each other.

Unlikely yes, over? No chance.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Yes we’ve been shite for a while and doesn’t seem like turning around anytime soon but this is football we are only 4 points off a play off position and there are some massive games yet to come especially how many of the teams around us who still have to play each other.

The problem is this; even if Lee took us skipping along the yellow brick road to see the wonderful Wizard of Oz in order to obtain the courage, heart and brains to achieve promotion, by the time the party arrived at their destination Toto would pull the curtain back to reveal the lauded one as Mark Ashton. And he'd say Lee, I told you in January not to bother me again, just tell the fans we've made progress, or tap your red Adidas Predators together and wish yourself to bloody Kansas.

17 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

No fight, no desire, no determination - something that is hugely surprising given what was on offer.

Those attributes need to be within the squad but the coaches have a responsibility to keep them at the forefront of the players minds - clearly that is not happening.

I get a sense, and of course I could be totally wrong, that within all of them they are not that bothered about promotion - whether that is the message they have been given internally by the club I don't know.

I wasn't at Millwall but after the Brentford game I did not sense any real feeling of anger and disappointment on the pitch.

#toocosy

One of Chris Rea's best 

18 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

#toocosy

Feels like even we are getting that message. I’ll admit at the time when MA said about promotion not necessarily being the aim, I thought it was just an innocent way of saying they didn’t expect to be as good as they were. Now I think, why did anything like that need to be said? Then LJ saying things in press conferences like we have to decide whether we ramp up the pressure or release it(sounded like deciding whether to go all out to make playoffs). I could not believe my ears tbh. 

Whether what they said and how I interpreted it are different, just feel like they didn’t need to be said at all. It is almost building a subconscious of it is ok if we don’t make playoffs because we already acheived what we set out to do(top half finish/improve on last season). Then you get LJs comments after a game and he is calm and not really annoyed at really abject performances. I left there after Brentford absolutely livid. I can take a loss but the difference in not only style but effort from december to now march/april was shocking. It isn’t acceptable to me and many around me yet you get the feeling it is ok with LJ. 

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

When you think about it.. there is a very good chance that Boro will drop points at Sheff Utd tonight and that Bolton (desperately needing points) will get something from Millwall.. then all it would take is a scruffy sh*thouse 1-0 win tonight and we are right back in it with our destiny in our own hands. This is a crazy division.

Who will choose team tonight?  LJ or Holden?

Holden gave the team the post match bollocking and Holden has given tonight's pre match press conference

Perhpas it is LJ ( remember the giggling post match interview), and not the players, who have lost it?

Archived