IGNORED

Why has one game shut everyone up?

Robin1988

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

Yes,your right-the three points last night still mean LJ will never take us to the Premier League..............

6 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Because the calls for him to go were totally unreasonable anyway. 

Look it's not being fickle, they're just very busy this morning!

6 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I don’t believe there were actually calls for him to go, just some discontent.

There were. Have a look at the LJ thread from the weekend.

Credit where credit is due. The team played well last night and the management team got the tactics pretty much spot on. I think everyone is entitled to a well written, well thought out opinion

and yes, some of this season has been dire but certain posters can't help themselves when it comes to their personal feelings towards the club.

We''ve not just got 3 points from 42 games though have we? We've got plenty of points over the course of those games and although our form has been much worse in the second half of the season,  our form is still mid-table. 

As others have said, the calls for his head - and there were a few  - were more to do with how people felt  - mainly frustrated - than the facts which show us over-performing based on spend and, from time to time across the season playing some very nice football indeed. With a good crop of home grown youngsters coming through.

Because calls for his head - or expressions of discontent if that's what you want to call them -  were at least partly to do with people being frustrated, the fact that last night was less frustrating means those people are quieter.

14 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

I'm still here and I'm glad our current run of form pleases you.

I didn't actually go last night as I was working away, however looking at the highlights provided by BCFC we looked incredibly fortunate to walk away with the 3 points. Only going on the highlights though.

I have not changed my mind in believing that Lee was the wrong appointment at the wrong time, one dubious victory will not convince me I'm afraid!

I do not post after every loss that he should go, we are crap etc, I do get peaks of posting though! :laugh:, in the same way its pretty boring/childish/uncalled for (delete as you see fit) to post after every victory that he is the new messiah and brilliant I  everything he does.

opinions egh!!

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Fantastic as the result was - I still wonder how much of last night's result was due to some woeful finishing from Birmingham - given that only 3 teams have shipped more goals than Brum this year any doubters would hardly change their mind based on that game.

But if we can do it at Boro....

Kind of agree, we are giving the opposition far too many chances last night and you will certainly come unstuck against the better teams. Midfield kept getting caught too far forward last night.

14 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I have not changed my mind in believing that Lee was the wrong appointment at the wrong time, one dubious victory will not convince me I'm afraid!

What about 17 victories and 14 draws? Our best since 2008 (which can still be beaten in the unlikely event that we win all the remaining games).

You don't have to like the man but it has been a good season and I have a hard time imagining anyone else doing much better. Many pundits had us down for relegation this season.

Some of the discontent seemed to be caused by rumours of dressing room fractures or disagreements with Johnson, as well as the idea that the players weren't trying.

However well you think we did or didn't play, however many chances Birmingham created or missed, whatever you think about the game itself, one thing was abundantly clear, and that is that Johnson and the team are giving 100%.

Without that nonsense and a good result in hand, it's natural to have a more positive outlook.

40 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Not me. We are from perfect with problems that could cause relegation.

whilst there are questions that management need to answer I do believe Lee should be here next season and hopefully with solutions 

Yes we got the three points last night which I was very pleased about but lets face it the style of play at times was pretty poor.

Constantly bye passing the midfield with long balls from back to front to a target man with absolutely no pace at all.

I'm not sure how Birmingham managed to miss some of those chances but thank god they did.

Johnson out

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I didn't actually go last night as I was working away, however looking at the highlights provided by BCFC we looked incredibly fortunate to walk away with the 3 points. Only going on the highlights though.

I do not post after every loss that he should go, we are crap etc, I do get peaks of posting though! :laugh:, in the same way its pretty boring/childish/uncalled for (delete as you see fit) to post after every victory that he is the new messiah and brilliant I  everything he does.

opinions egh!!

Take it from someone who was at the match, we deserved to win. Scoring the early goal put us in control and Birmingham were always chasing the game.

42 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Because we are the most fickle bunch of supporters in the world :P

46 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Starting to sound like a personal vendetta now. We would have given anything to be this high last season. Sometimes management get it wrong , sometimes players are rubbish, but that's football. They played well last night and the team decisions worked. I like Lee Johnson, I hope he stays and I hope we get to the Premiership when we are good enough to be there.

34 minutes ago, frenchred said:

opinions egh!!

You can't even get through your first line without making things up. Classic.

FWIW we were lucky last night that Birmingham didn't bring their shooting boots. But over the course of a season there's games we've deserved to get something from and haven't. And with four games to go three points is all that matters IMO.

Just now, Meryl Goodrum said:

Starting to sound like a personal vendetta now. We would have given anything to be this high last season. Sometimes management get it wrong , sometimes players are rubbish, but that's football. They played well last night and the team decisions worked. I like Lee Johnson, I hope he stays and I hope we get to the Premiership when we are good enough to be there.

I've long thought there was a long term vendetta against Lee Johnson. It seems to me that some have been screaming for him to be sacked almost before he was appointed. Whether or not he leads us into the Premier League is another matter, but I recognise that some  will never be happy whatever the circumstances

Thing is, it was one win only, yes.

However, in said win we showed  better signs than we have for a while- I know we beat Sheff Wed 4-0, but factoring in their injuries and Birmingham's recent new manager bounce, it was possibly the best performance, the most enjoyable since the draw with Fulham. To win a game or to grind it out (not including QPR owing to the 10 men for an hour scenario) is one thing, but I personally went to Ashton Gate last night fearing a mediocre night, Birmingham 1-0 was my personal, pessimistic prediction. Instead we attacked, we gave it a proper go and we won. In short, it was a pleasant surprise- well it was to me anyway, can't speak for anyone else. That alone adds to a happier mindset IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thing is, it was one win only, yes.

However, in said win we showed  better signs than we have for a while- I know we beat Sheff Wed 4-0, but factoring in their injuries and Birmingham's recent new manager bounce, it was possibly the best performance, the most enjoyable since the draw with Fulham. To win a game or to grind it out (not including QPR owing to the 10 men for an hour scenario) is one thing, but I personally went to Ashton Gate last night fearing a mediocre night, Birmingham 1-0 was my personal, pessimistic prediction. Instead we attacked, we gave it a proper go and we won. In short, it was a pleasant surprise- well it was to me anyway, can't speak for anyone else. That alone adds to a happier mindset IMO.

Why was it such a surprise, out of interest? Aside from Brentford we've not lost at home since Norwich in the league.

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Take it from someone who was at the match, we deserved to win. Scoring the early goal put us in control and Birmingham were always chasing the game.

Take it from somebody who watched the game, we could have been 4-2 down at half time, our midfield was poor and disorganised throughout the game, Baker looks like he is already on holiday, Bryan is still struggling for form, it was at best an unconvincing performance, Smith is struggling for form, Pack seemed to go missing in the 2nd half.

The 3 goals and 3 points whilst most welcome cannot disguise the fact that our poor performances continued, we were not good no matter how you or LJ spin it.

I don't think he should go but I do think after our disastrous January that showed a total lack of ambition and the long poor streaks that LJ has on his CV, he needs to improve for next season and certainly address the lack of midfield creativity it has been plain to see for 2 seasons now.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Why was it such a surprise, out of interest? Aside from Brentford we've not lost at home since Norwich in the league.

• Our record v Birmingham, last 20 years or so.
  • Their form, with the new manager bounce.

My main point though, wasn't even so much the win that was the surprise, though Birmingham under Monk had won the same number we had since Wolves at home- it was the manner of performance and the attacking approach. It was just enjoyable. It wasn't a perfect performance by any stretch, but it was good.

(That's before I even get onto the fact that the playoffs is now not necessarily impossible).

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Take it from somebody who watched the game, we could have been 4-2 down at half time, our midfield was poor and disorganised throughout the game, Baker looks like he is already on holiday, Bryan is still struggling for form, it was at best an unconvincing performance, Smith is struggling for form, Pack seemed to go missing in the 2nd half.

4-2? They missed two great chances through Jota and someone else but the goal was a fluke, if we're going on clear-cut opportunities.

If Bryan is still struggling for form I must have missed all the chances they had down their right, or someone else put the ball in for Reid's goal.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Got home at 11.50pm then put nipper to bed. Straight to sleep then up for work. Just had no chance really since the game. 

We played much better last night but we still look vulnerable and a bit fragile, riding our luck a bit. 

My opinion of LJ hasn't shifted but our chances of the playoffs have definitely improved by a few percentage points. 

This forum cracks me up. I didn't check the site after Millwall, knowing how toxic it would be. I don't enjoy reading the doom and gloom.

Logged on today to have a look and several notable posters have gone missing (always the way when we win and play well) and suddenly we can win our last 4 and snatch 6th!

Is this just the nature of the world we live in? Everything's either brilliant or terrible. 

Anyway, I enjoyed last night's game and watching this City team do what they are good at - playing at high tempo and making things happen. I've enjoyed this season and I'm proud of my team - we've had some brilliant results and when we're on song we're great fun to watch. It's infinitely better than some of the rubbish I've watched the past 20 years.

54 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

our form is still mid-table. 

But it’s not, our form over 20 games is 4 wins and about a point a game. Slightly better than relegation maybe.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

4-2? They missed two great chances through Jota and someone else but the goal was a fluke, if we're going on clear-cut opportunities.

Not sure how their goal was a fluke, he was very left footed and tried the same thing a few times. Apparently, if you shoot on target you might score.

Archived