IGNORED

Why has one game shut everyone up?

Robin1988

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

There were plenty of posters on here after the game, Rich, don't worry, but we did miss you reminding us that LJ had never impressed you.

I assume and hope you and the others were merely busy, and hadn't changed your mind on the basis of 1/42 of a season.

There might have been plenty of posters, there usually are after a win, and, no doubt people were expressing their relief, that's another thing people like to do. You seem to be the self elected spokesperson for the other posters on here now?

Seeing as I've only ever publicly stated my opinions about LJ on a few occasions and then mostly as a response to you, I find it strange but not surprising, that you would come out with such a sarcastic statement.

My previous post explains this, here it is: "I personally held back with my reservations and opinions on the subject. I think most people want to give the management team long enough to impose their beliefs and work ethics onto the field of play. Sadly, I could not wait longer and the subject was brought to the open forum, if it had not, I'd have suffered in silence for a bit longer, as others no doubt are still doing".  I doubt you read it, or chose to ignore it.

My opinion is not merely based on 1/42nd of a season, it's based on two  seasons in charge, with more resources than any manager as ever had at this club. Don't give me this thing about them all being for the future, Brownhill, Patterson, Magnusson and O'Dowda made the step up as youngsters, others were tried but sadly not successful, then suddenly announced that they were for the future and shipped out on loan. If they had been successful, they'd have been playing now.   I don't really count the first half season under his leadership, as that was not his preferred players or assistant during that time. As you know, he changed his assistant and the players, well, less than half of them who play anyway. he has signed about thirty though. Makes one wonder really. I really hope he does well though.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

There might have been plenty of posters, there usually are after a win, and, no doubt people were expressing their relief, that's another thing people like to do. You seem to be the self elected spokesperson for the other posters on here now?

Seeing as I've only ever publicly stated my opinions about LJ on a few occasions and then mostly as a response to you, I find it strange but not surprising, that you would come out with such a sarcastic statement.

My previous post explains this, here it is: "I personally held back with my reservations and opinions on the subject. I think most people want to give the management team long enough to impose their beliefs and work ethics onto the field of play. Sadly, I could not wait longer and the subject was brought to the open forum, if it had not, I'd have suffered in silence for a bit longer, as others no doubt are still doing".  I doubt you read it, or chose to ignore it.

My opinion is not merely based on 1/42nd of a season, it's based on two  seasons in charge, with more resources than any manager as ever had at this club. Don't give me this thing about them all being for the future, Brownhill, Patterson, Magnusson and O'Dowda made the step up as youngsters, others were tried but sadly not successful, then suddenly announced that they were for the future and shipped out on loan. If they had been successful, they'd have been playing now.   I don't really count the first half season under his leadership, as that was not his preferred players or assistant during that time. As you know, he changed his assistant and the players, well, less than half of them who play anyway. he has signed about thirty though. Makes one wonder really. I really hope he does well though.

Spokesman? I wish, just having an opinion I'm afraid. Nothing that exciting.

Might be worth a look at the revenue chart @Davefevs kindly put together to put our resources into context. I completely agree our recruitment is very hit and miss, but that's not entirely (even predominantly) LJ's avenue, he is the head coach after all. Given quite how up and down our signings have been, and still having gone far from breaking the bank, is it really all that bad?

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

Spokesman? I wish, just having an opinion I'm afraid. Nothing that exciting.

Might be worth a look at the revenue chart @Davefevs kindly put together to put our resources into context. I completely agree our recruitment is very hit and miss, but that's not entirely (even predominantly) LJ's avenue, he is the head coach after all. Given quite how up and down our signings have been, and still having gone far from breaking the bank, is it really all that bad?

You stated "we missed you", I assumed you were speaking for others.

I don't take too much notice of revenue charts, some are relative to success, obviously. Some represent large turnovers, parachute payments and downright mismanaged finances. At the end of the day, it's eleven verses eleven. If you sign good players and create a good team spirit and work ethic, you can and do compete with so called bigger clubs. There are many examples of this over the years, it can be done. It would appear that we have invested lot's of our time and finances on players that do not and may not feature at the cutting edge of our club, I certainly hope they do, as that would be a dire waste of resources.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

You stated "we missed you", I assumed you were speaking for others.

I don't take too much notice of revenue charts, some are relative to success, obviously. Some represent large turnovers, parachute payments and downright mismanaged finances. At the end of the day, it's eleven verses eleven. If you sign good players and create a good team spirit and work ethic, you can and do compete with so called bigger clubs. There are many examples of this over the years, it can be done. It would appear that we have invested lot's of our time and finances on players that do not and may not feature at the cutting edge of our club, I certainly hope they do, as that would be a dire waste of resources.

But but but

That’s not the Head Coach’s fault

Not as if he has  the final say on signings 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

....Brownhill, Patterson, Magnusson and O'Dowda made the step up as youngsters....

I agree with loads of what you say Rich....but I don’t get much of the talk about our ‘young and inexperienced’ squad....Paterson and Magnusson are 26 years old and 25 years old respectively....and that isn’t young in football terms...plus Paterson has played over 150 games in the championship I believe....

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree with loads of what you say Rich....but I don’t get much of the talk about our ‘young and inexperienced’ squad....Paterson and Magnusson are 26 years old and 25 years old respectively....and that isn’t young in football terms...plus Paterson has played over 150 games in the championship I believe....

Paterson was in and out of Forest team, seemingly not going anywhere and Magnusson was untried at this level/ still learning. They were two years younger when joining but I don't recall saying inexperienced. I agree, now they are truly part of the squad and more experienced.

7 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

This is disappointing. Are there any of the out brigade who can read properly...

Not the best at ‘reading’  yourself are you !!!!

Im not in the out camp as it stands and if you bothered to read you’d know that

Srcondly, as for your

’agree our recruitment is very hit and miss, but that's not entirely (even predominantly) LJ's avenue, he is the head coach after all.‘ 

I’m not sure how well up you are with what’s said and goes on but before you continue with your current focus on anyone that may dare question the head coaches decision -(In between rubbishing posts ) you’d Maybe like to read and keep up about recruitment

You might also like to recall that one of the reasons Lee wanted two assistants was so he could concentrate ‘on first team recruitment more’

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Before you continue with your focus on anyone that may dare question the head coaches decision -(In between rubbishing posts ) you’d Maybe like to read and keep up about recruitment

You might also like to recall that one of the reasons Lee wanted two assistants was so he could concentrate ‘on first team recruitment more’

Thanks for the six pages of light reading, but a modicum of brain engagement is enough to understand we have what is essentially a Director of Football whose primary job is overseeing the off-field side of the "business", i.e recruitment. Hence why every time he's on Radio Bristol, it's near enough all he talks about, and why he's pictured with most if not all of our new arrivals.

If you need me to spell it out in one-syllable words I can. Next week we might get onto the nuanced concept of questioning LJ without going hysterical. We'll see how you get on with this first.

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Thanks for the six pages of light reading, but a modicum of brain engagement is enough to understand we have what is essentially a Director of Football whose primary job is overseeing the off-field side of the "business", i.e recruitment. Hence why every time he's on Radio Bristol, it's near enough all he talks about.

If you need me to spell it out in one-syllable words I can. Next week we might get onto the nuanced concept of questioning LJ without going hysterical. We'll see how you get on with this first.

As I said perhaps you’d like bother to read what’s said from those in those positions

It’s fairly clear even for someone like you (I can do sarcasm too)

So you are claiming Mark Ashton has the final say on who we buy or loan are you ?

Youre either clueless about what’s stated about recruitment at the club or are claiming that LJ and MA are both liars and MA is and does totally mislead us about his role and responsibilities

Sorry it doesn’t fit in with your claims

Maybe you’d like to engage a ‘modicum of brain engagement

A one syllable answer may not suffice Einstein

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As I said perhaps you’d like bother to read what’s said from those in those positions

It’s fairly clear even for someone like you (I can do sarcasm too)

So you are claiming Mark Ashton has the final say on who we buy or loan are you ?

Youre either clueless about what’s stated about recruitment at the club or claim that LJ and MA are both liars

A one syllable answer may suffice Einstein

I'm afraid you've dragged me down to your level, humouring you in trying to put words in my mouth, and I'm sure everyone else would rather read something else. It's embarrassing.

The cumulative responsibility lies with Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson and whoever our unnamed "scouting network" is. LJ has to take some responsibility, so does Ashton whose entire job is recruitment. If "having the final say" when MA puts a Lois Diony in front of you after he's done most of the ground work makes it all LJ's fault, then sure, have your little win.

As the saying goes, "Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it."

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I'm afraid you've dragged me down to your level, humouring you in trying to put words in my mouth, and I'm sure everyone else would rather read something else. It's embarrassing.

The cumulative responsibility lies with Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson and whoever our unnamed "scouting network" is. LJ has to take some responsibility, so does Ashton whose entire job is recruitment. If "having the final say" when MA puts a Lois Diony in front of you after he's done most of the ground work makes it all LJ's fault, then sure, have your little win.

As the saying goes, "Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it."

I’ll leave you to your campaign and dreamt up scenarios - I’m sure you have a wealth of information to back it up

Personally I’d be first looking at who has the final say (But you can ignore any relevance yourself if you prefer)

Funny your little insult using pigs - they it’s claimed are ignorant as in not knowing what you’re talking about (As I say unless all in positions at the club are liars and out to mislead you might want to reflect on this)

They also say you can’t educate pork so I’ll bid you goodnight 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Paterson was in and out of Forest team, seemingly not going anywhere and Magnusson was untried at this level/ still learning. They were two years younger when joining but I don't recall saying inexperienced. I agree, now they are truly part of the squad and more experienced.

Apologies Rich, when I said ‘young and inexperienced’ I was referring to stuff that LJ has said and posts put on here by many others...I quoted you because you said they were youngsters....cheers

12 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Lemmings the lot of em, finally got some luck and everyone’s fallen back in line :noexp:..

lets not get carried away, we will get fucking mullered at Boro’ 

That's the spirit. 

There's nothing like getting behind your team is there?

We may lose, hopefully get at least a draw or a win would be superb. But if, as you predict, we do get "fucking  mullered", then fair play to you for your foresight.

Personally, I'd rather be a little bit more positive.

Up The City

On 11/04/2018 at 12:58, Mr Popodopolous said:
  • Our record v Birmingham, last 20 years or so.
  • Their form, with the new manager bounce.

My main point though, wasn't even so much the win that was the surprise, though Birmingham under Monk had won the same number we had since Wolves at home- it was the manner of performance and the attacking approach. It was just enjoyable. It wasn't a perfect performance by any stretch, but it was good.

(That's before I even get onto the fact that the playoffs is now not necessarily impossible).

Far too much is made of how long it is since one side beat another.

What relevance does our side and Birminghams side from 15 years ago, 10 years ago or 20 years ago have on a game played this year? 99% of the players will have retired and the management team of both sides would have changed on both sides multiple times.

Then you have the relative infrastructure of both teams at each point.

The most relevant thing would be the managers head to head record, rather than the clubs. But even that should be taken with context- Johnson has a 100% record against Mourinho, but that shouldnt (and, because of context, wouldnt) make us favourites the next time we play Man Utd.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I like the fact that you’ve listed the four clubs (five if you include us) that are punching above their weight. IMHO  

The challenge is to get it spot on and go up, or get lucky and go up. 

Huddersfield spent twice as much as us last season, but got their rewards. Look at Reading and Wednesday who didn’t make it.  

Brighton broke the rules to go up, but will easily pay any fine when they come back down because of parachute payments. Bournemouth too. Immoral imho. 

I remember Dean Hoyle saying that they cut their wage bill at Huddersfield ahead of last season. A quick look round and the Swiss Ramble for 2014/15 had them third lowest in the Championship for wages, at just over £13m. Since cut to less than £12m last season, with a cap of £10k a week, according to The Mirror. Their players shared a bonus of £4m for winning promotion (also The Mirror) so perhaps this accounts for spending so much more than us (but a large chunk of it for performance and results, not going through the motions).

Where else did Huddersfield spend more than us - transfers presumably? Or loan fees?

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Far too much is made of how long it is since one side beat another.

What relevance does our side and Birminghams side from 15 years ago, 10 years ago or 20 years ago have on a game played this year? 99% of the players will have retired and the management team of both sides would have changed on both sides multiple times.

Then you have the relative infrastructure of both teams at each point.

The most relevant thing would be the managers head to head record, rather than the clubs. But even that should be taken with context- Johnson has a 100% record against Mourinho, but that shouldnt (and, because of context, wouldnt) make us favourites the next time we play Man Utd.

By the same token, our record at Boro counts for nothing.

I say at Boro, I mean the Riverside- pretty sure record and even in recent times plays a part, in the mindset even a small one.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I remember Dean Hoyle saying that they cut their wage bill at Huddersfield ahead of last season. A quick look round and the Swiss Ramble for 2014/15 had them third lowest in the Championship for wages, at just over £13m. Since cut to less than £12m last season, with a cap of £10k a week, according to The Mirror. Their players shared a bonus of £4m for winning promotion (also The Mirror) so perhaps this accounts for spending so much more than us (but a large chunk of it for performance and results, not going through the motions).

Where else did Huddersfield spend more than us - transfers presumably? Or loan fees?

Bribing the Mirror into thinking they scrimped their way to the Premier League probably.

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

They spent £33.6m (almost twice as much as us) on staff budget and promotion “costs”. They may we’ll have cut their costs ahead of last season, but might’ve spent a lot on the eve / start of the season. 

That may have included the likes of Kachunga’s loan fee, but I don’t know, you can’t see the detail, only the top number. 

They lost £17m in doing so.  Small potatoes in the context of parachute payments!

Archived