IGNORED

Why has one game shut everyone up?

Robin1988

Sure Birmingham could have finished better but what the fans responded to was the effort put in.

That spell at 2-1when Bryan, Flint, Baker and Pack all blocked or charged down goal attempts is what we all wanted to see.

Don’t buy this “we were lucky” stuff, either.

At Bolton we were denied a nailed on penalty in the first 10 minutes, at home to Burton for the second season running we had a good goal ruled out in a 0-0 draw.

By 42 games in we have to assume it evens out.

Our bravery on the ball was a revelation compared to recent games and largely contributed to the win, despite us playing with little width.

City finished clinically and Birmingham didn't, despite overrunning our midfield on several occasions and getting behind the defence.

If City want to play with 2 big target men then lumping the ball forward to Djuric is a non starter. When he lost possession, frequently, Birmingham surged forward. City need widemen to create chances. We only had 4 shots on target.

I'd ditch the Djuric experiment, Milan is nowhere near mobile enough to start.

In terms of formation, I'd go for 3-5-2, with O'Neill bolstering the central midfield and Bryan as LWB with Brownhill as his opposite number.

Flint, Baker and Kelly at the back with Bobby and Diehiou up top.

We won't get away with last night's tactics at Middlesbrough.

Watching the highlights, checking the stats and reviewing experimental361's xG ratings suggest to me that the biggest differentiator from last night's game was that we finished our dinner and were clinical.  What it doesn't suggest is that the issues that we've witnessed recently, and that I personally saw at Burton and Millwall, have been totally remedied.  We still only mustered 10 shots in the game, with 4 shots on target, plus Bobby hitting the bar.  This is against Brum's 7 on target and 18 over all.  Back in the autumn we were averaging 16 shots a game and converting an average of 1 in 8 shots into a goal.  No way are we even close that level of efficiency at the moment.  We aren't going to carry on with a 33% shot to goal conversion rate.

I still think we can do it, and I still like LJ and believe he is the right man to have at the club at this time.  However, it cannot be said that a win over Birmingham has healed all the wounds of the past few months.

2018-04-10-bristol-c-birmingham1.png?w=8

foot2.png

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure how their goal was a fluke, he was very left footed and tried the same thing a few times. Apparently, if you shoot on target you might score.

8 times out of 10 Frankie saves that. Have to be a better strike than that to get beaten at your near post.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At Bolton we were denied a nailed on penalty in the first 10 minutes, at home to Burton for the second season running we had a good goal ruled out in a 0-0 draw.

And Derby should have had an 89th minute pen against us when it was 0-0. It all evens out.

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Take it from somebody who watched the game, we could have been 4-2 down at half time, our midfield was poor and disorganised throughout the game, Baker looks like he is already on holiday, Bryan is still struggling for form, it was at best an unconvincing performance, Smith is struggling for form, Pack seemed to go missing in the 2nd half.

The 3 goals and 3 points whilst most welcome cannot disguise the fact that our poor performances continued, we were not good no matter how you or LJ spin it.

I don't think he should go but I do think after our disastrous January that showed a total lack of ambition and the long poor streaks that LJ has on his CV, he needs to improve for next season and certainly address the lack of midfield creativity it has been plain to see for 2 seasons now.

2-4, yep, could’ve been 0-4 if we’d not taken our chances!! But then again, Milan missed a volley from 6 yards, Fam has a header blocked close to goal, Boga’s shot saved by Fielding was a foul on Diedhiou.  Ifs, buts and maybes.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Watching the highlights, checking the stats and reviewing experimental361's xG ratings suggest to me that the biggest differentiator from last night's game was that we finished our dinner and were clinical.  What it doesn't suggest is that the issues that we've witnessed recently, and that I personally saw at Burton and Millwall, have been totally remedied.  We still only mustered 10 shots in the game, with 4 shots on target, plus Bobby hitting the bar.  This is against Brum's 7 on target and 18 over all.  Back in the autumn we were averaging 16 shots a game and converting an average of 1 in 8 shots into a goal.  No way are we even close that level of efficiency at the moment.  We aren't going to carry on with a 33% shot to goal conversion rate.

I still think we can do it, and I still like LJ and believe he is the right man to have at the club at this time.  However, it cannot be said that a win over Birmingham has healed all the wounds of the past few months.

2018-04-10-bristol-c-birmingham1.png?w=8

foot2.png

I like their stuff, the spike just after 15 minutes was probably worthy of a goal.  So that makes it 3-2....although in the context of its timing in the game, it might have been very different.  Their analysis certainly balances out the simple stats of 18 shots v 10 meaning that Brum deserved to win.  Take that big chance missed and their xG falls below ours.  

21 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This hits the nail on the head for me.  I can stomach anyone's opinion/argument if its a well thought out and presented.  What I can't stand is the "we've lost one game, so I'm going to call Johnson a midget" brigade. 

Agreed. Football is a game of emotions but when things gets personal, or even just twisted to fit an argument, it's annoying.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like their stuff, the spike just after 15 minutes was probably worthy of a goal.  So that makes it 3-2....although in the context of its timing in the game, it might have been very different.  Their analysis certainly balances out the simple stats of 18 shots v 10 meaning that Brum deserved to win.  Take that big chance missed and their xG falls below ours.

I think that is fair.  I also think it reflects that despite the failings of the last few matches in actually creating chances, we have been clinical all season.  That is one area where we have measurably improved on last season.

E361's final graphics from the end of last season showed we converted roughly 1 in 11 shots into a goal over the season.  Stats from whoscored show that in the 42 games this season we've averaged 12 shots per game and scored 59. That shows a ratio of 8.5:1 shots to goals.

Since 4 March we've had 63 shots in 7 games, and scored 7 goals.  That means that we've remained almost as clinical as we were when at our best - with 1 goal for every 9 shots.  However, the issue is that we've had only 9 shots per game, as opposed to the 16 we were averaging in the autumn.  For me that means the faults lie in midfield, with our creators.  That we've also all noticed that Paterson has dropped in form cannot be a coincidence.

So (defensive improvements aside) in order to ensure results in these final few games we need to get back up towards 15-20 attempts on goal over the course of a game. That should see us scoring at least 1 goal in each match.  We are going to need our midfield to step up and give the strikers the chance to score.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

What about 17 victories and 14 draws? Our best since 2008 (which can still be beaten in the unlikely event that we win all the remaining games).

You don't have to like the man but it has been a good season and I have a hard time imagining anyone else doing much better. Many pundits had us down for relegation this season.

Yes but Warnock has got Cardiff to the verge of promotion - unless they screw it up. I suspect he has a bigger budget and they are a much more established Championship club with recent Premier League history but that is the only reference point LJ is to be measured against.

Never mind the fact that Pearson - who most wanted when LJ was appointed - did a terrible job at Derby, or that 13 Championship managers (so far) have not lasted the season, or that 12 of the clubs below us are ex-Premier league clubs, most of them with bigger budgets and better power to attract players. Or that six of the seven teas above us are ex-Premier league clubs, most of them with bigger budgets and better power to attract players. Ultimately LJ will never be seen as even a decent manager until he does better than Warnock, and even then there will be some excuse or other as to why LJ is still the wrong man for the job.

For the record, I was as frustrated as anyone about our recent slump. After Brentford and Millwall, I questioned LJ's ability to pick the right players and get the most out of them. But overall we have had a very good season, and overall LJ has done an excellent job of taking a team in the Championship relegation zone and establishing them in the Championship as a team ready to sustain a play-off challenge.

In the long term, he might or might not be the person to take the next step but certainly there is a lot more than one more win last night to show he is a good manager who has done a good job on the whole. 

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

Last night was a breath of fresh air - an open, exciting game where the players demonstrated enthusiasm and a few shots on goal, something we haven't seen in weeks. Naturally everyone left Ashton Gate happy and upbeat.

That said, Birmingham missed some sitters and made our defense, Baker especially, look extremely amateur at times. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Are these threads not just as bad and nauseating as the calls for his head or whatever  the point is

Maybe, but I'm not saying LJ is the messiah. What I'm saying is if you (not you specifically) have got some conviction that LJ is the wrong man one game shouldn't be enough to shut you up.

14 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Maybe, but I'm not saying LJ is the messiah. What I'm saying is if you (not you specifically) have got some conviction that LJ is the wrong man one game shouldn't be enough to shut you up.

Will only speak for myself as it’s less controversial

Some Concerns have re emerged for me

Dont want him sacked - think he deserves a run well into next season whilst assessing our stability and / or progress

My biggest concern is recruitment flaws

Have made those points so little point in keep repeating them 

Off the back of 3 points some application and an enjoyable evenings football I Posted some positive posts and threads and some analytical posts about last night

Maybe others are in a similar place ?

There will be some who think we should change now and often give their reasons whether others agree with them or not

- Why would they keep repeating their points the morning after a win , not overly ‘convincing’ but enjoyable with certainly some positive aspects 

Why does it have to be so black & White -

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Will only speak for myself as it’s less controversial

Some Concerns have re emerged for me

Dont want him sacked - think he deserves a run well into next season whilst assessing our stability and / or progress

My biggest concern is recruitment flaws

Have made those points so little point in keep repeating them 

Off the back of 3 points some application and an enjoyable evenings football I Posted some positive posts and threads and some analytical posts about last night

Maybe others are in a similar place ?

There will be some who think we should change now and often give their reasons whether others agree with them or not

- Why would they keep repeating their points the morning after a win , not overly ‘convincing’ but enjoyable with certainly some positive aspects 

Why does it have to be so black & White - it

It doesn't have to be black and white. That's the point. If he's the wrong man, one game in 42 doesn't change that, results shouldn't polarise things. But this is football we're talking about, so when we lose at Middlesbrough on Saturday and Cardiff win the parade will be back on.

IMO if we go on another run like this next season real questions have to be asked, but he's bought plenty of time this season by getting us to within a shout of the play-offs with four games to go, and that hasn't happened in a long time. Hopefully that's grey enough for you.

I agree about recruitment, we've signed some good players but the amount of dross we've signed, or players who have just been cast aside, isn't anywhere near good enough is it?

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

Hasn’t changed my mind . Having a tidy season and progress from last year . 

Sticking to a plan seems to be working, ultimately I’m not so sure 

• Admin

The performance itself wasn't that great, we gave them far too much space and time coming at us in the first half.

Just watching the sky highlights back and it is amazing they only scored once last night, like previous other games we could have easily shipped 4 or 5 goals

What did change was that some luck went our way for the first time in weeks, only having 4 shots on target yet scoring 3

I guess it is better to do that than pass up all the chances Birmingham did last night

Let's hope the corner has been turned but still a long was to go

2 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Yes we got the three points last night which I was very pleased about but lets face it the style of play at times was pretty poor.

Constantly bye passing the midfield with long balls from back to front to a target man with absolutely no pace at all.

I'm not sure how Birmingham managed to miss some of those chances but thank god they did.

Johnson out

Bore off mate 

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Im still here. As are others

There is this myth that people like myself only post when we lose. It is of course just that...a myth

I will always give.credit where credits due. They did well last night and LJ got things right for a change

Not overly impressed with having Duric and Fammy upfront together. Neither bullied or dominated the defenders, which guys their size should do.

Bobby Reid, Korey, Pack and Kelly put in a good shift. Joe did ok even playing on the right side (though wrong side for him).

Duric and Baker were coasting/lethargic/lacklustre. Johnson needs to have a word.

Pleased to see Taylor come on to inject some urgency, pace and desire (and glad to see him get a goal). Rattled the defenders and wound them up.

Fielding should never have let that shot go past him. He still can't kick straight/keep the ball on the pitch.

Dunno how that Brum defender got away without a booking after giving Fammy grief twice within a minute. I missed the first one, but after the crowd went ape-shit I saw the follow up..

If Birmingham had players who could take their chances (particulalry in the first half) , it could easily have been a different story. We deserved a bit of luck.

Main thing is we got three points by finally getting back to hitting the target.

Will have to play twice as well to get something at Boro.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Yes we got the three points last night which I was very pleased about but lets face it the style of play at times was pretty poor.

Constantly bye passing the midfield with long balls from back to front to a target man with absolutely no pace at all.

I'm not sure how Birmingham managed to miss some of those chances but thank god they did.

Johnson out

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

Bore off mate 

Apart from the last sentence he is 100% spot on, we got lucky with the selection last night, let' nnow see where we go over the next few weeks 

It hasn’t shut the :dancing6::clap:up who crawl out of the woodwork with every victory ignoring the horrendous loss of form since Christmas and start bashing those without oodles of optimism!

Anyone wishing Johnson to be sacked has got to be a bit over emotional. Look what happened to last nights opponents post Gary Rowett!

Whatever happens this season I am sure that 2 seasons of boom and bust hasn’t gone un-noticed, so the heat will be on again next season and a bad start is likely to lead to fans getting annoyed en masse.

I’ll take 3 points every day of the week, but I’m not going to ignore the fact that the playoffs were firmly in our hands.

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Apart from the last sentence he is 100% spot on, we got lucky with the selection last night, let' nnow see where we go over the next few weeks 

Why is it luck? It's like LJ picked two target men but was then lucky our play was so direct? Why does @Between heaven and hell paint it as a bad thing? Our style over the past few weeks hasn't worked so we changed it up.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Yesterday was a surprisingly easy win against a bottom league team. Their defending was even worse than ours. For whatever reason we won the game it was not for the two donkeys up front. 

I supposed Dedhiou tripped and accidentally placed a perfectly cushioned header onto Reid's foot then?

Archived