IGNORED

Relegation Run in

The Batman

Having a spare 20 mins at work, decided to see who the teams in the relegation battle had remaining this year - granted it does not effect us directly, but if teams fighting for their lives have sides around us, it may have an effect on our final league positioning.

No teams in the relegation zone have any sides directly around us except for Derby who have Barnsley and Burton to play and Sheffield United are playing have to go to Birmingham. Preston go to Burton on the final day and Preston are only 2 points behind us.

Both Sunderland and Birmingham have to play Wolves and Fulham. 

Working from the Bottom up.

Burton (32pts) - Derby (H), Sunderland (A), Bolton (H) and Preston (A)

Sunderland (33) - Reading (A), Burton (H), Fulham (A) and Wolves (H)

Barnsley (37) - Bolton (H), Leeds (A), N. Forest (A), Brentford (H) and Derby (H)

Bolton (39) - Barnsley (A), Wolves (H), Burton (A), N.Forest (H)

Birmingham (40) - Wolves (A), Sheff Utd (H), QPR (A), Fulham (H)

Have not done any predicted scores, merely, W,L or D.

Quite obvious that both Burton and Sunderland are down. Even with 4 games left, I cannot see either of them winning any of their remaining games, but as this is a relegation scrap, if they can pull off a 1-0 win somewhere, it may give them hope....... but i dont see it.

The real battle is between Barnsley, Bolton and Birmingham.

Based on my guesses, i'd have Barnsley finishing on 43 points with both Bolton and Birmingham on 41 points, so it would go down to goal difference on the final day.

Goal difference at the moment is Bolton -30 and Birmingham -29. Bolton have scored 2 more goals but have conceded 3 more.

As you can see, both Bolton and Birmingham have Wolves to play, but Birmingham also have Sheff Utd and Fulham.

I'd say that Birmingham will be in the relegation zone come the final whistle on the last day of the season. Simply on goal difference.

Anyone think any different??? Sure glad we are not involved like we were this time last year. 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Looking at Brums fixtures - I can't see them getting more than three more points. If I were a Brummie fan I'd be seriously concerned.

Brum have some tough games but I reckon that they can nick 3 points somewhere which might be enough, Barnsley V Bolton will be massive

3 minutes ago, Redstart said:

So looking at your info - Derby's 2 away games are at Burton and Barnsley - that's not good for us chasers  :facepalm: 

Something about relegation teams this time of the season, they fight and scrap for every single ball. Derby will be in for two very tough games.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

All deserve to be relegated if they can't even muster 1 point per game. We were rock bottom with 40 points in 12/13 and yet that could be enough to survive now.

Bizarre, yet one year Leicester went down with 53 points

well then - after "round 1" of the run in.

Sunderland could only get a draw against Reading. They go to 34 points

Burton pulled off a win against an out of form Derby to go up to 35 points

Barnsley and Bolton drew 2-2 so Barnsley stay in the relegation zone on 38 points but with their game in hand, they could overtake Birmingham (who dropped a place) and Bolton who are both on 40 points.

Did i call it too early saying that Burton were down? We shall wait and see.

When the thread started Birmingham had a better goal difference than Bolton, but after Bolton's draw and Birmingham's defeat, Bolton are now better by 1, hence why Bolton are now above Birmingham in the league.

Sunderland vs Burton Albion next week. :yawn:

14 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Sunderland are down

Repeat

Sunderland are down. 

All because Burton still have to play Bolton. 

So Accrington Stanley will play Sunderland in the league next season, who`d have thought that would ever happen. Possibly Exeter too.

And of course, Wearside Police will need to cancel all leave for the day that 40,000 tramps in blue and white quarters rock up to the Stadium Of Light

I've been reading Sunderland's forum - some are planning a huge protest in the Stadium against Wolves, some are protesting outside the stadium and some are not going full stop.

I say give Wolves extra tickets for it. They'll pack it out fully and there will not be more than 25,000 there. Considering that's at half capacity, simply give Wolves more than the 2,500 tickets allocated - they've already sold out.

On 11/04/2018 at 20:42, cidercity1987 said:

All deserve to be relegated if they can't even muster 1 point per game. We were rock bottom with 40 points in 12/13 and yet that could be enough to survive now.

Agreed, and we were miles off, relegated at that 2-1 Bolton defeat in early April I think. Liam Fontaine deciding to boot it into the East End net, for the wrong team, inside 10 minutes from what I remember. Had a great bath when I got back home though.

5 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Agreed, and we were miles off, relegated at that 2-1 Bolton defeat in early April I think. Liam Fontaine deciding to boot it into the East End net, for the wrong team, inside 10 minutes from what I remember. Had a great bath when I got back home though.

The game that sent us down was 1-0 at home to Birmingham, the one home game in the last 10 years where I've decided not to go...

A certain Wade Elliott scored the winner as well

8 hours ago, The Batman said:

I've been reading Sunderland's forum - some are planning a huge protest in the Stadium against Wolves, some are protesting outside the stadium and some are not going full stop.

I say give Wolves extra tickets for it. They'll pack it out fully and there will not be more than 25,000 there. Considering that's at half capacity, simply give Wolves more than the 2,500 tickets allocated - they've already sold out.

Haven't the Geordies been applying for away tickets to take the piss though? Imagine thousands of Geordies at the SOL celebrating their neighbours demise? In our case it would be about 4 methane snorters but the point remains the same.

After a dismal showing in our game in hand last night it looks like we (Barnsley) are gone. Completely rudderless, players seem to have given up. Of course, one win on Saturday changes the picture again but we seem to need to score 3 to get anything out of any game. We are awful and deserve to go down.

Ah well, see you all in a few years.

13 hours ago, redsfan said:

After a dismal showing in our game in hand last night it looks like we (Barnsley) are gone. Completely rudderless, players seem to have given up. Of course, one win on Saturday changes the picture again but we seem to need to score 3 to get anything out of any game. We are awful and deserve to go down.

Ah well, see you all in a few years.

Could be worse..... we have to score 5... just to get a draw....!

Be gutted if you lot do go down, always a great away day... even if it is just for the pie, mushy peas and gravy!

I did not include Reading in my original post, but they are really struggling.

Should Burton beat Bolton, they'd go above them to 41 points going into the last game of the season.

Depending on results this weekend, 5 teams could still go down with Sunderland on the last day

Well well well. 

5 teams can still go down with Sunderland on the final day. 

Burton beat Bolton. 

Barnsley won

Birmingham and Reading both lost. 

Reading          - 22     43 points

Birmingham   - 32     43 points

Barnsley         - 21     41 points

Burton            - 42     41 points

Bolton            - 36      40 points

Sunderland are already gone 

Screenshot_20180428-164438.png

Barnsley & Burton I think based on that. I can`t see either of them winning.

Bolton have shown they can get a result at home when the chips are down and with Forest on the beach they ought to do it. Reading & Brum should have enough points in the bag to be OK although both Fulham & Cardiff will be going for it.

Both of those will be on Sky I imagine.

Archived