IGNORED

Team for Boro

Super

Clearly wont be same team from Tues. Would be a risk playing Bryan RB again against far better opposition so would play him left midfield and drop Djuric and play Pisano at RB (unless Wright is fit)

Any thoughts?

Fielding

Pisano - Flint- Baker - Kelly

O'Dowda-Pack-Smith-Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou

If Pisano isn't fit then go back to the same back four as Tuesday with Brownhill at RM and Callum at LM.

If O'Dowdy isn't fit then replace with Brownhill.

One thing for sure - Kelly has to be in. More than deserves it. Agree that Djuric should drop - although I think he helped in being a distraction Tuesday, I don’t see him as fit or mobile enough to play twice a week. 

Agree with you - FFT, Joe to LM, Bobby to CF and either Eros or Bailey RB

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly wont be same team from Tues. Would be a risk playing Bryan RB again against far better opposition so would play him left midfield and drop Djuric and play Pisano at RB (unless Wright is fit)

Any thoughts?

Exactly what I’d do.

Bryan can support Kelly on the left against Traore and also play on his stronger foot.

Bobby plays where he can influence the game more & Pisano is our sole natural RB.

Diedhiou well in front of Djuric for the main striker role.

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack

O'Dowda Bryan

Reid

Reason I think a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid would be a good move would be because Middlesbrough likewise play 4-3-3. Though Pulis sides aren't exactly known for possession and flowing football, they will be physical and a 4-3-3 would help us to be a bit more secure in this regard.

Kelly and Bryan could link up, overlap on the right.

O'Dowda can have more freedom on the wing. I would include Pisano at RB but his form since his return has been disappointing, especially last few games. Wright can be the more defensive half of the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Negan said:

Same again. Think consistency is the key for the run in. Find a team that wins and stick with them. As it stand Tuesday nights team won, play it again and if we beat Middlesbrough then we have to keep faith in it. 

That's what he done last season, after getting stuffed 5-0 at Preston, he changed the team around and won the next 4 of 5 with a draw in the other game. He kept the same side for those 5 games only changing it for the last game of the season against Brum when Frankie was injured and promptly lost!

12 minutes ago, Negan said:

Same again. Think consistency is the key for the run in. Find a team that wins and stick with them. As it stand Tuesday nights team won, play it again and if we beat Middlesbrough then we have to keep faith in it. 

Would be suicidal to play that team again.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack

O'Dowda Bryan

Reid

Reason I think a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid would be a good move would be because Middlesbrough likewise play 4-3-3. Though Pulis sides aren't exactly known for possession and flowing football, they will be physical and a 4-3-3 would help us to be a bit more secure in this regard.

O'Dowda can have more freedom on the wing. I would include Pisano at RB but his form since his return has been disappointing, especially last few games. Wright can be the more defensive half of the pitch.

Putting in Wright over Pisano seems suicidal to me against Boro's wingers, the thought of them swapping wings to match Traore against Wright terrifies me!

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Putting in Wright over Pisano seems suicidal to me against Boro's wingers, the thought of them swapping wings to match Traore against Wright terrifies me!

He played v Boro at Right back in December- we were fairly defensively sound then Downing and Traore played that night too. I understand the problem yeah, just unsure about Pisano at this time.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He played v Boro at Right back in December- we were fairly defensively sound then Downing and Traore played that night too. I understand the problem yeah, just unsure about Pisano at this time.

I can see where you are coming from, especially with the ball he put in for the first goal! However Traore seems to have hit a new level since Pulis has taken over, Pisano doesn't fill me with confidence right now either but I'd back him more to have the intelligence of when to make the cynical fouls and how to attempt to deal with the tricky opposition. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack

O'Dowda Bryan

Reid

According to Transfermarkt they’ve not played 433 all season :huh:

However the 4231 they play does not really include a playmaker in that forward 3, so I’d say it’s more your hybrid 433 with ball (as you said) and 451 without it.

The key to our win at home was that their fullbacks pushed up leaving huge holes in behind them, down the sides of their immobile CBs.  I was not impressed by Gibson at all that evening.  The fullbacks were Christie and Fabio.

Unfortunately, The fullbacks are now Shotton - a tough competitor, and Friend - imho one of the best LBs in this league, so our approach will need to change.

I do think Diedhiou can muscle both Ayala (who didn’t play at home) and Gibson, and therefore we might need to attack more centrally.

I’d probably go with Birmingham’s line-up, but bring O’Dowda in for Djúric and move Reid back up top with Famara.  Kelly gets supported by the ever willing O’Dowda.  I thought Bryan and Brownhill linked well on Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to Transfermarkt they’ve not played 433 all season :huh:

However the 4231 they play does not really include a playmaker in that forward 3, so I’d say it’s more your hybrid 433 with ball (as you said) and 451 without it.

The key to our win at home was that their fullbacks pushed up leaving huge holes in behind them, down the sides of their immobile CBs.  I was not impressed by Gibson at all that evening.  The fullbacks were Christie and Fabio.

Unfortunately, The fullbacks are now Shotton - a tough competitor, and Friend - imho one of the best LBs in this league, so our approach will need to change.

I do think Diedhiou can muscle both Ayala (who didn’t play at home) and Gibson, and therefore we might need to attack more centrally.

I’d probably go with Birmingham’s line-up, but bring O’Dowda in for Djúric and move Reid back up top with Famara.  Kelly gets supported by the ever willing O’Dowda.  I thought Bryan and Brownhill linked well on Tuesday.

Oh.

Looking at the players out there, and Sky, Sofascore, Whoscored they did a lot of 4-2-3-1 under Monk...but Pulis generally is 4-3-3.

(I have never associated Pulis sides with that setup so it threw me somewhat).

I can see the appeal of your setup, I'm just generally inclined towards the setup, balance and security of Brownhill, Smith and Pack.

I the last few months, teams that have done well against Boro have played 3 at the back and packed the midfield.

Boro have also had a lot of players sent off in recent months...and have lost games every time that happens.

There is definitely a pattern. Pack the midfield and wind em up ;-)

I’d play (I am assuming Wright injured):

Fielding 

Flint  Baker  Kelly

Pisano  Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan 

Reid 

Diedhiou 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I the last few months, teams that have done well against Boro have played 3 at the back and packed the midfield.

Boro have also had a lot of players sent off in recent months...and have lost games every time that happens.

There is definitely a pattern. Pack the midfield and wind em up ;-)

Wolves though won up there with their trademark 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 over Easter...pretty sure they themselves had TWO sent off in that one.

Other tactical note I'd that add... Middlesbrough despite their talented players...give them the ball, to a point and they may well struggle. Bit of a reactive side in some ways. Something else to keep in mind for Saturday IMO. 

Keep it the same. Watching them against Wolves they got panicky at the back when the ball was dropping in the box. Keeper doesn’t come out and take control of matters. We need to make them fear us, go there with the confidence we can win and it might not be pretty but get balls into the box whenever possible. 

That team selection allows you to play two ways. Attempt crosses of the oppo sit deep. If they push up a bit to try and stop that you have Bobby and brownhill looking to get in behind. Agreed that defensively we are open but if Pack and Smith have a more disciplined role I’m confident we’ll get a win.

Archived