IGNORED

Diony

Agard Days Night

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Cameron Jerome :laughcont:

Exactly. There seems to be a theory round here that proven championship strikers are available to us, want to sign for us and would definately work out for us.

Id have loved us to sign afobe or grabban but the truth is we didn’t stand a chance once wolves and villa came in.

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Why take the risk though? And what a risk - his club couldn’t get him out the door fast enough despite paying €€€ six months earlier. Don’t need to be on Mastermind to work that one out. We could’ve had Mitrovic or Grabban if we went for them. Fuming over the January shambles. 

Could we? Source?

26 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Nope I would have done that either, but what I would have done is spend a % of that on a quality striker ON LOAN.

Yeah it would cost, but it would have been short term and MAY have made the difference - as it was whatever Diony and Kent cost would have been better spent on an accumulator at Aintree tomorrow.

Who in their right mind would allow a ‘quality’ striker to go out on loan??? Especially in January :facepalm:

You only had to look at his record this season in the french league to know the chances are he was going to be pony.. coming to a foreign country completely devoid of confidence is not what you want as a striker. Dire signing by the people who sanctioned it.

35 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Why take the risk though? And what a risk - his club couldn’t get him out the door fast enough despite paying €€€ six months earlier. Don’t need to be on Mastermind to work that one out. We could’ve had Mitrovic or Grabban if we went for them. Fuming over the January shambles. 

I agree completely. It was as if the club didn't want promotion. However strange that sounds. 

Well bar the two you stated. I doubt we would have competed with them. That said our stock was as high as it ever will be in this division and we screwed it up. Unfortunately we've all followed this club long enough to not be too surprised.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Nope I would have done that either, but what I would have done is spend a % of that on a quality striker ON LOAN.

Yeah it would cost, but it would have been short term and MAY have made the difference - as it was whatever Diony and Kent cost would have been better spent on an accumulator at Aintree tomorrow.

Because I’m sure we didn’t even think about that. If people think we’d have been in the mix for players like Grabban and Mitrovic they need a reality check about where we are relative to others that are doing as well as us. One season in the top half and people think we are a Villa/Derby/Boro - we ain’t. 

46 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

And if my aunt had a..........

Come on, January was a stinker. Not sure what one failed transfer in January by a completely  different  team has anything to do with it. I could name some successful ones to even it out if you like?

As for Diony. A risk that certainly  hasn't paid off, like a lot of signing to be fair. Only have to look at the core of our team to see that the recruitment has been average at best.

The point is that buying ‘proven’ doesn’t mean shit, as above never likely to be beating Villa/Fulham etc to targets. We are where we are and we have to look elsewhere. Few more seasons pushing for top six and a different story but for now we’re a small club in a big league and not yet playing at the same table, so to speak. 

Re the overall policy - one Kodjia pays for 10 Engvalls if you like. Im happy for us to look to unearth talent that is off the radar of bigger clubs. Buying names on big wages hasn’t worked for many many clubs 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The point is that buying ‘proven’ doesn’t mean shit, as above never likely to be beating Villa/Fulham etc to targets. We are where we are and we have to look elsewhere. Few more seasons pushing for top six and a different story but for now we’re a small club in a big league and not yet playing at the same table, so to speak. 

Re the overall policy - one Kodjia pays for 10 Engvalls if you like. Im happy for us to look to unearth talent that is off the radar of bigger clubs. Buying names on big wages hasn’t worked for many many clubs 

Buying ' proven ' is , perhaps, less of a gamble than buying untested.

We just need to be clever in our recruitment. We are who we are and in January that was a club on the move , second place in the Championship and seeking promotion to the Prem .

" You Mr Footballer could be a hero . We'll pay you a good wage and if we go up you will be on a Prem contract " 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Had we done what you suggest, the ‘quality players’ that would have been available on loan would surely have been players who had excelled in the Championship, moved to the Premier League for big money and found it not worked out. And most of those with proven Championship quality - such as Grabban or Afobe or Mitrovic would have had their pick of clubs. And we are not as appealing a club as Villa, Wolves or Fulham. And none of them would be guaranteed successes in any case.

Someone above asked who you would have bought in. My guess is there was no obvious candidate who had stood out in the Championship, was available on loan and wanted to join Bristol City rather than one of the bigger clubs in the division. So the club had to look elsewhere. 

Diony was player who excelled in Ligue 2, a division we have twice successfully recruited from before, who moved to the French top flight for big money and it did not work out. Essentially Diony was, on paper, the exact sort of loan signing you describe. It was not that the club did not do what you suggest, or at least the nearest realistic approximation of it. It is just that clubs tend to want to loan players out when they are either inexperienced, out of form or not up to standard and so any loan signing we made was sure to be a risk. It just so happened this was one that did not work out.

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Buying ' proven ' is , perhaps, less of a gamble than buying untested.

We just need to be clever in our recruitment. We are who we are and in January that was a club on the move , second place in the Championship and seeking promotion to the Prem .

" You Mr Footballer could be a hero . We'll pay you a good wage and if we go up you will be on a Prem contract " 

League position really doesn’t matter. £10k a week if you’re 2nd vs £20k a week if you’re 10th and we lose out 99 times out of 100. That’s football. 

Rightly or wrongly our policy is never going to be going for the high earners and the big names as a rule. 

3 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Not in the match day squad for tomorrow. Not likely to play in a City shirt again. Acknowledgement all round that this simply didn’t work out. We move on. 

Was shopping in Cabot Circus today whilst team was on plane.

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Who in their right mind would allow a ‘quality’ striker to go out on loan??? Especially in January :facepalm:

Maybe a PL club with a player who wanted game time and wasn't getting it there.

Maybe a youngster at a PL club who wasn't quite ready for them..........I think we did that rather successfully last season

Archived