IGNORED

Diony

Agard Days Night

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, I'd remove Magnusson and O'Neil from that list. Just because they are squad players rather than first XI doesn't mean they have brought no value to City. Plus with Tomlin, we got one decent season, before ego, complacency and off-field shenanigans meant he had to be jettisoned.

TBH we could write a list of players that haven't worked out here that could be virtually endless over the years. In years gone by, many of them got far longer in the team than they should have.

I suspect you could at any club: 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/788332/Premier-League-transfers-flop-XI-mistakes-sportgalleries

Magnusson has only played as many games as he has because of necessity this season, LJ clearly does not trust him and I suspect that ONeil was never actually signed as a squad player, poor performances and injuries have made it seem like he is a squad player.

My problem is that up until January we had set high standards, standards that we managed to maintain even after the odd poor result but since then apart from the odd game our standards have dramatically dropped and along with covering for injuries, that is when you need your squad and ours has been found wanting, in fact we look like a team that has run out of ideas.

Don't get me wrong, along with most I would have been more than happy with our current position, had it been a more evenly balanced season, not having our great form run in the first half and our dismal run in the second half of the season and that is what worries is our sustained run of poor form.

The good news is that Kelly and Vyner should save us a good few shekels, hopefully this summers investment can be looking for a creative midfielder or 2 and a striker, for me the jury is out regarding Diedhiou, he seems like a lovely bloke and fully committed, but I don't think that he's is strong enough, he is easy to shift off of the ball and goes down far too easily, I find him incredibly frustrating, I saw him play a French ligue 1 match in Lorient about 2 months before we signed him and he played as a lone striker in an incredibly defensive Angers set up and he looked a beast but of course judging the physicality of the French game and the English game is pointless there is no comparison.

We have signed players for the future, we now need a summer of signing some much needed quality players for the here and now to push on.

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, I'd remove Magnusson and O'Neil from that list. Just because they are squad players rather than first XI doesn't mean they have brought no value to City. Plus with Tomlin, we got one decent season, before ego, complacency and off-field shenanigans meant he had to be jettisoned.

TBH we could write a list of players that haven't worked out here that could be virtually endless over the years. In years gone by, many of them got far longer in the team than they should have.

I suspect you could at any club: 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/788332/Premier-League-transfers-flop-XI-mistakes-sportgalleries

Matthews too IMO. Based on his first loan spell an awful lot of us were happy with him coming back.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Magnusson has only played as many games as he has because of necessity this season, LJ clearly does not trust him and I suspect that ONeil was never actually signed as a squad player, poor performances and injuries have made it seem like he is a squad player.

My problem is that up until January we had set high standards, standards that we managed to maintain even after the odd poor result but since then apart from the odd game our standards have dramatically dropped and along with covering for injuries, that is when you need your squad and ours has been found wanting, in fact we look like a team that has run out of ideas.

Don't get me wrong, along with most I would have been more than happy with our current position, had it been a more evenly balanced season, not having our great form run in the first half and our dismal run in the second half of the season and that is what worries is our sustained run of poor form.

The good news is that Kelly and Vyner should save us a good few shekels, hopefully this summers investment can be looking for a creative midfielder or 2 and a striker, for me the jury is out regarding Diedhiou, he seems like a lovely bloke and fully committed, but I don't think that he's is strong enough, he is easy to shift off of the ball and goes down far too easily, I find him incredibly frustrating, I saw him play a French ligue 1 match in Lorient about 2 months before we signed him and he played as a lone striker in an incredibly defensive Angers set up and he looked a beast but of course judging the physicality of the French game and the English game is pointless there is no comparison.

We have signed players for the future, we now need a summer of signing some much needed quality players for the here and now to push on.

It's not popular on here to say it, but to me I was expecting a bit more from famara, does not look a 5 million pound player, yes he has scored a few but his allround game is not what I expected for somebody who is our record signing.'

55 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would normally have sympathy but the rap sheet is long, Hegeler, Tomlin, Magnusson, Engvall, Oneil, Giefer, Kent, Diony, Woodrow and Matthews + Eliasson and according to you Golbourne.

We'll have to agree to disagree Emb...I think Hegeler, Mags, O'Neil, and Eliason all offer something to the squad on their day, plus we own them. The 3 loan players I agree, haven't worked for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

He is clearly a decent player with 0 confidence. Cost us 2 points in the Sunderland match mind you.

That’s a bit harsh, that was the whole teams fault. Can’t blame a striker for shipping 3 goals in against the worst team in the league who got booed off by their own fans at half time. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

See, I agree with a lot of your post, but Sunderland got one hell of a deal regarding their Grabban loan. They only had to chip in a third of his wages, only a third. I don't know if Villa got a similar privilege let alone Fulham with Mitrovic or Wolves with Afobe.

@Major Isewater

Perhaps LJ didn't utilise Walsh, and to an extent, Kent to their full potential? Walsh the best is yet to come, Kent not suitable for us.

Your quality v quantity point. Agree in principle... However, the flipside of that is look at the number and type of injuries this year- to both first team players and squad players, aka 'first reserve' players.

Had we gone down that route, would we have had the depth to keep ticking over? Unsure.

Not trying to be difficult here but how do you know that Sunderland only had to pay a third of Grabban's wages when he was there?

Unless you work for Sunderland or Bournemouth or the EFL or you are his agent how can you possibly know that?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Not trying to be difficult here but how do you know that Sunderland only had to pay a third of Grabban's wages when he was there?

Unless you work for Sunderland or Bournemouth or the EFL or you are his agent how can you possibly know that?

Don't know for sure, but I read it online.

Archived