IGNORED

Hugely Wasted Opportunity

Lew-T

Goes back to January for me. We’ve completely wasted the window and have our signings posting videos on Instagram during the game while making an impact to our season.

I feel let down and disappointed to be honest. I hope Lee has plans early doors because if it doesn’t go to plan then I’m sure the knives will be out.

We now sit in 10th place. What could have been? Or perhaps should have been...

Teams, individuals have purple patches and you perform very well.  Unfortunately for City, they haven't realised their purple patch and have lost an opportunity which may take (hopefully not), many more years to come.  It doesn't happen every year for teams like City or frequently, so they will certainly need to re-group, add some experience, some quality and leadership. Bryant, Reid and maybe Flint could be off elsewhere, so they will all need replacing if they go as well as strengthening elsewhere in the squad.  Clear out to come as well, there always is!

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Goes back to January for me. We’ve completely wasted the window and have our signings posting videos on Instagram during the game while making an impact to our season.

I feel let down and disappointed to be honest. I hope Lee has plans early doors because if it doesn’t go to plan then I’m sure the knives will be out.

My concern is when the club says we’re not going for promotion. How arrogant is that statement, clubs can’t pick and choose what season to go for it. We were in a strong position and we haven’t taken the opportunity presented. Whose to say we will be in this position next season  , or the season after? How long ago was the Hull game, in life you have to take the opportunity when it presents itself.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not this again............:sleeping:

i kind of agree with evil twin here.

Not that I don't entirely agree with the thoughts of @Lew - T in the first post, BUT .... it has sort of been done to death. I think we just work our collective selves into a writhing fury by thinking about the could-have-beens.

Put it on the back-burner for now. try to enjoy the remaining games, accepting that we will still be in the Championship next season.  Hope we significantly strengthen over the summer - mentally, not just with new faces.

I always thought we were punching a bit above our weight last year and would eventually be found out, although I'd obviously hoped not with such clueless, toothless performances as most of our recent ones. 

January was an absolute disgrace and I’m fucking bored of hearing the “we couldn’t have gone out and spent millions on a big name player”. Yes we fucking could of. 

We were 2nd in the league and just beaten Man Utd. We signed 3 players that haven’t played any decent football all season. These 3 said players can now no longer even get in our squad. We signed a striker who hasn’t scored all season who is so shit he’s been allowed to go shopping in Oxford St today rather than travel with the squad. 

Im actually embarrassed for the Lee, MA & the board on this one. Everything was going unbelievably well & we were getting very lucky with some of our performances - let’s be honest, for us to play with so many players out of position & have the season we’ve had up until January required a big slice of fortune. Next season is going to be a real struggle. 

We had a real, unbelievably massive chance of finally making the big push to the Prem & have shown ridiculous amateurity to think we’d have gone up after signing the 3 players we did. Not to mention the fact Woodrow hasn’t played since January either. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

January was an absolute disgrace and I’m fucking bored of hearing the “we couldn’t have gone out and spent millions on a big name player”. Yes we fucking could of. 

We were 2nd in the league and just beaten Man Utd. We signed 3 players that haven’t played any decent football all season. These 3 said players can now no longer even get in our squad. We signed a striker who hasn’t scored all season who is so shit he’s been allowed to go shopping in Oxford St today rather than travel with the squad. 

Im actually embarrassed for the Lee, MA & the board on this one. Everything was going unbelievably well & we were getting very lucky with some of our performances - let’s be honest, for us to play with so many players out of position & have the season we’ve had up until January required a big slice of fortune. Next season is going to be a real struggle. 

We had a real, unbelievably massive chance of finally making the big push to the Prem & have shown ridiculous amateurity to think we’d have gone up after signing the 3 players we did. Not to mention the fact Woodrow hasn’t played since January either. 

Agreed. 

The only realistic scenarios that could've happened are a) a lack of available players who were willing to come here, b) we went in for certain players and it fell apart halfway though, or c) MA/LJ and his team fucked up royally, thought we'd be alright with what we've got, and are now paying the price for their hubris.

Pick one.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The only realistic scenarios that could've happened are a) a lack of available players who were willing to come here, b) we went in for certain players and it fell apart halfway though, or c) MA/LJ and his team fucked up royally, thought we'd be alright with what we've got, and are now paying the price for their hubris.

Pick one.

Got to be that one, hasn't it.  I'd prefer to call it complacency/naivety to fucking up, but it amounts to the same.  

Plus 5 points BTW for using the word "hubris". One of my favourites.

30 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Spending money in January doesn't guarantee anything. 

There's a reason the majority of managers don't like to buy in January. We gambled with a couple of loans that didn't work out. We overachieved this season and it's caught up with us. 

1 minute ago, winterbournered said:

Spending money in January doesn't guarantee anything. 

There's a reason the majority of managers don't like to buy in January. We gambled with a couple of loans that didn't work out. We overachieved this season and it's caught up with us. 

Don't really understand the last sentence. Caught up with us? We are fit and raring to go without injuries. 

We have our players back fresh and fit. So why can't the manager utilise them as before. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Don't really understand the last sentence. Caught up with us? We are fit and raring to go without injuries. 

We have our players back fresh and fit. So why can't the manager utilise them as before. 

Not sure you can make that first assertion TBH, CR.  Fit to play perhaps, but not at the top of their game in many cases.

We've all seen how long it takes players to come back into it, in the past.

Been watching for 45 years so seen top flight football and bottom of the whole league  football and I honestly thought in December we were on the verge of something special, what has happened since has been truly catastrophic in football terms, I know some will say we have improved position wise which is true but we have thrown away a massive opportunity that may not come around again for a very long time. As plenty will say typical f-----g City.

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Badly worded, I mean't our short comings had caught up with us. Just think the size of our squad and overall quality, we were overachieving in the first half of the season. 

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Been watching for 45 years so seen top flight football and bottom of the whole league  football and I honestly thought in December we were on the verge of something special, what has happened since has been truly catastrophic in football terms, I know some will say we have improved position wise which is true but we have thrown away a massive opportunity that may not come around again for a very long time. As plenty will say typical f-----g City.

My thoughts precisely! What a waste...

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

A good post. But it's easy to forget the high now - easy to forget how good the football was and how things were shaping up. And really it's that level that we reached that is making this end season so disappointing - as they say, its the hope that will kill you. 

If we were offered this season before it started I doubt there would be many fans who would not have taken it - indeed many of the most vocal critics on here were people who thought we were certain we were heading for relegation. So to try and be balanced you have to look at the fact it is progress on last season and we have improved season on season for some time now. If that continues ad infinitum then eventually we'd be the best team in the world. Obviously, that won't happen but a playoff spot next year would continue us moving in the right direction and despite a lot of disappointment right now if we remember what we have shown we can do there is hope that that can be achieved.   

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I agree about the January transfer window, but saying that we had fortune to do well with all those injuires is a contradiction: we had a huge amount of bad luck, and despite it the team was able not to lose many points in the league. The effect of those injuries and tiredness arrived later, and I stille consider them the main reasons of our downfall.

Some good signings probably would have helped, as a different use of some players by LJ...but I'm not sure it would have meant playoffs at 100%: when you add a player in a team that struggle, sometimes it doesn't work...

Well LJ has the same managerial record at every club he has managed, bad runs, poor tactical decisions poor recruitment and blaming the players for not playing his way.. How can a club play all season plus cup games with high pressing fast attacking football and not burn out, look at manchester city they cannot keep there great football going all season so why does LJ think he can do it, He is trying to do something which is almost impossible to achieve on a budget let alone spending millions of pounds like MCFC. MR lansdown an amazing person to pump money into the club which i appreciate along with LJ supporters must also believe in this fantasy football team who will play for BCFC for peanuts.... WAKE UP it's not going to happen unless a new owner comes in pours millions into the club with a proven manager and players and even then it may not happen i will just keep my eye on MCFC just to see how close you can get to LJ/SL fantasy..... 

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

So we abandon the philosophy that’s got us to where are now? There’s no guarantee that spending big money on players works either we’ve been there and done all that before and it got us relegated last time, that’s why we adopted this philosophy in the first place! 

January was shit it’s always shit but on the whole before Kent was highly rated and done well last season it just didn’t work out, Diony was an £11m last summer it didn’t work out, send them back no harm done, people were banging on about proven striker like Gary Madine how many he scored for Cardiff?

We’ve had a good season could of been great,  could’ve been shit!

we go again next year be thankful for small mercys!

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

The simple solution would be to sack him. Unfortunately we have another Wenger on our hands

Looking forward to those double winning seasons, then.

Another Wenger? No chance.

14 hours ago, Lew-T said:

and have our signings posting videos on Instagram during the game

Surprised no one has actually responded to what you commented on here. Let's call it what it is, utterly embarrassing. It should be embarrassing for Diony and it should be embarrassing for Mark Ashton, and someone at the club needs to man up and tell him to pack his bags and go back to France.

If a player is not picked for the matchday squad then of course they are free to do what they want but we've obviously already told him he isn't needed if he is this blasé about the whole thing, so why not go public on it and send him home, at least create some positive capital out of a siege mentality.

But no, this is Bristol City, where off the pitch we are ponderous and polite. We're not cut-throat on the pitch because we're not cut-throat off it. The players who ran into brick walls to beat Man Utd, see us recruit poorly in January and then sit by while the wasters we brought in stick up two fingers at us.

It's no wonder they've given up. I have no specific insight here but I'd be amazed if our squad harmony is still in tact - I bet the players are livid with some of the chancers paid to join. It was clearly a very united group up to Xmas, but our DNA spotter has thrown it all away with self-infatuated loners like Diony.

As per my match report, yesterday was a sad end to the season (if that is what it is) but if you're angry what is the point of continuing to direct it at 11 players who have largely been here for years trying their best, the disgrace is the "suits" who have failed so spectacularly to seriously enhance this team.

Diony needs to be officially well clear of Ashton Gate by next Saturday, and with any luck Mark Ashton a few weeks later.

Archived