IGNORED

The Bristol City FC v Hull City FC Match Day Thread 44

Septic Peg

38 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I have been since he arrived. The tactical shambles of todays game has started to make me question.

He shows remarkably similar traits to his Dad when it comes to bizarre tactics; they work spectacularly well on occasion but usually you get egg on your face and this is exactly why GJ has spent most of his career in the lower divisions. I fear LJ may end up the same way and the great experiment of the Johnson's will, in due course, be confined to history and we can plan properly for the top flight. That is how I am beginning to feel.

If you're right, and I'm not at all sure you are, we should stick with LJ until he gets us to the play off final and then sack him. At the same time pray that we are not up against Hull bloody City.

Which ever way you look at it, neither GJ nor LJ would be a suitable manager of a premier league club.

6 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

If you're right, and I'm not at all sure you are, we should stick with LJ until he gets us to the play off final and then sack him. At the same time pray that we are not up against Hull bloody City.

Which ever way you look at it, neither GJ nor LJ would be a suitable manager of a premier league club.

I am far from thinking that as well and as I said. 

GJ no, LJ?.. beginning to question it, but only beginning; today was truly a turning point for me; I hope I turn back but it might be a super tanker.

I would like to know who was the last manager to throw away a two goal lead in one game, twice.  Let us just let that sink in for a moment.

I am sure it has happened quite a few times but by how many managers who have gone on or had previously been top flight coaches. Genuinely interested to know.

1 hour ago, CiderHider said:

One day we will go up.

But the real question is from which division will our next promotion be from

History tells us Div1 to Champ, but it could quite as easily be Div 2 to Div1or, given better quality Board and coaches, Champ to Prem

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Firstly I want to say after 4 months of poor performances Paterson was by far and away my MOM today he was terrific

Then that would explain why 15 seconds before their first Smith gave him the most animated rollicking for yet again  failing to cover, which saw them play a simple triangle around his static form and gave them space for the shot. Haven't seen the replay but watch Patterson's reaction after the ball goes in. Whilst the rest of the team are arguing he's, head down, making for the very edge of the pitch trying to hide, as he did successfully most of the game. Time after time he hides in plain sight. Some numpties behind us having a go at one of Pack's misplaced passes (when he'd nobody on) yet Patterson 8 yards in front hiding directly behind his opponent thought not once to slip a yard or two right or left to make himself available. Not once yesterday did you seem him asking for, let alone demanding,  the ball. He spent much of the match wholly focussed on the location of the nearest water bottle. His body language sucks, head and shoulders slumped toward the turf totally disinterested. Of head and shoulders and most importantly, no shampoo required again today for what must now be a record breaking 5th month. Can anyone recall the last time he contested let alone won a header? And therein lies the mystery as on the rocket rare occasion he can be bothered he clearly has talent ( the drag back and pass first half comes to mind.) I think he's back at the 'Forest' stage as and when we bought him, loads of promise but couldn't give a damn attitude.

I'm not picking on Patterson, he's symptomatic of the problems we've at AG. WeeLee clearly rates him given he's always in the squad. Before the game the obvious complaints near me were why we didn't line up with Kelly at the back, Bryan left mid with Patterson marking time at Brean Sands. Issue is he's pretty much like many of those rated by WeeLee -  he's a  mediocre championship / L1 player with an attitude with which we'll fail to compete.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Then that would explain why 15 seconds before their first Smith gave him the most animated rollicking for yet again  failing to cover, which saw them play a simple triangle around his static form and gave them space for the shot. Haven't seen the replay but watch Patterson's reaction after the ball goes in. Whilst the rest of the team are arguing he's, head down, making for the very edge of the pitch trying to hide, as he did successfully most of the game. Time after time he hides in plain sight. Some numpties behind us having a go at one of Pack's misplaced passes (when he'd nobody on) yet Patterson 8 yards in front hiding directly behind his opponent thought not once to slip a yard or two right or left to make himself available. Not once yesterday did you seem him asking for, let alone demanding,  the ball. He spent much of the match wholly focussed on the location of the nearest water bottle. His body language sucks, head and shoulders slumped toward the turf totally disinterested. Of head and shoulders and most importantly, no shampoo required again today for what must now be a record breaking 5th month. Can anyone recall the last time he contested let alone won a header? And therein lies the mystery as on the rocket rare occasion he can be bothered he clearly has talent ( the drag back and pass first half comes to mind.) I think he's back at the 'Forest' stage as and when we bought him, loads of promise but couldn't give a damn attitude.

I'm not picking on Patterson, he's symptomatic of the problems we've at AG. WeeLee clearly rates him given he's always in the squad. Before the game the obvious complaints near me were why we didn't line up with Kelly at the back, Bryan left mid with Patterson marking time at Brean Sands. Issue is he's pretty much like many of those rated by WeeLee -  he's a  mediocre championship / L1 player with an attitude with which we'll fail to compete.

I agree with your overall assessment of Paterson's ability and his defensive ability is poor at best but as I said earlier I thought he grew into the game and became our most influential player over 90 minutes, Smith gave Fielding an animated rollicking over the free kick fiasco he was the captain it's his job, can I suggest that you rewatch the game because towards the end of the first half and constantly throughout the second he was demanding the ball and I also recall one terrific defensive header in second half (I recall being shocked) .

I have been one of Paterson's fiercest critics over the past 4 months (in fact I even criticised his inclusion after the team was announced on this very thread) but I try to give credit where it due and I thought after a shaky start he was our best player.

Archived