IGNORED

Frankie. kicking and shot stopping

Antman

Just now, Three Lions said:

I like Frankie but does he actually fit with the ethos LJ is supposedly trying to implement? no way.

The Goalkeeper is one of the most important positions for a passing side. Exactly if and its a big if LJ is going that way.

It's a strange one really, think it's clear to everyone he's abandoned that ethos that was successful earlier in the season, out of panic, out of a desire to be even better, I don't know. But the recruitment in the summer will tell us pretty much everything about where he wants this squad to go. 

Frankie could do a very good job for a Championship side in my opinion, but only one that values him as a shot stopper over a component in a passing game.

I said yesterday, take the shot stopping out of the equation and you have a poor keeper. May sound silly but there is only one part of FF's game that makes hm a Championship keeper. If he commanded his area, or just collected a few crosses, or didn't look terrified when the ball is even rolling towards him it would make the defence much tighter and more confident. 
We could have got Bentley for what ? One million ? Seems ridiculous now. I think we need to spend on the spine again, we will lose a CB probably but I would start with a good solid keeper. Not easy or straight forward but vital, not only if we have hopes of challenging , but just to make us harder to beat when the inevitable bad run comes along.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I said yesterday, take the shot stopping out of the equation and you have a poor keeper. 

Used to say the same about Flapper Phillips........,,:facepalm:

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new keeper arriving this summer.

With Stoke likely to get relegated I wonder if local lad Jack Butland would be interested in joining  his local team?.............:rofl2br:

29 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's a strange one really, think it's clear to everyone he's abandoned that ethos that was successful earlier in the season, out of panic, out of a desire to be even better, I don't know. But the recruitment in the summer will tell us pretty much everything about where he wants this squad to go. 

Frankie could do a very good job for a Championship side in my opinion, but only one that values him as a shot stopper over a component in a passing game.

Theres people on here who really think City are still trying to play that way!! It is strange and it leaves a question was it an accident? The players brought in like Frankie don fit that passing pressing game the team did play. 

"But the recruitment in the summer will tell us pretty much everything about where he wants this squad to go" bang on. 

4 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

What i find interesting is people think that amount of no's cant be improved upon. City spend millions on forwards but what are pennies on Keepers !!! 

You build from the back lad... So said many a consistently successful manager, ...always.

23 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes. That’s right. He’s been playing like a league one keeper all season. 

You’ve no idea have you?

He might not be League 1 but he certainly isn’t Championship. For someone who so many say “he’s a great shot stopper” he’s made too many errors of judgement in my opinion.

One of several that we have to move out if we have genuine ambitions to truly progress. 

I always think of players in the terms of would I like to be playing against them as opposition players. For example play against Reid, no thanks he would run rings around us. Playing against Fielding wouldn’t fill me with fear in all honesty. 

Frankie had a terrible game Saturday but he's been great many times this season (and previous) with his shot stopping ability.

I do on the other hand think we should improve on the GK position - Mainly due to the awful kicking of Frankie, he unfortunately has caused us undue pressure by giving the ball away by firing the ball to the touchline too many times to mention.  I do understand this is tactical but it is slightly embarrassing how many times I've watched a miskick from FF.

This then gives the opposition the momentum to press us and we start to recluse into our own half and I think we are at our worst as a team when under negative pressure and are likely to concede. 

I like FF as a human being from his interviews and his efforts and loyalty with us but I would like to see someone in the Ederson, Pickford esque GK role.

Someone who can pick a composed pass and play from the back whilst also being good at the basics. This becomes the difficulty but maybe someone like David Jensen from FC Utrecht who has the same qualities but obviously not on the same pay scale as the aforementioned. 

I think most clubs struggle to recruit the type of keeper everyone seems to crave ie comfortable at playing out, dominating the box and shot stopping.

Just look at Man City [Bravo era] and Liverpool with all their millions and on balance Joe Hart across the whole season. Nearly every pundit says they will struggle without upgrading.

I'm not excusing the kicking or getting beaten at the near post twice on Saturday, which was amateur, but unless we are going to divert a massive proportion of what we have to strengthen how about coaching Frankie (surely that's what the coaching staff are for) rather than getting another unknown quantity in?

Can’t personally understand the ridiculous loving for Frankie on the basis of him being a class shot stopper. There are plenty of other class shot stoppers in this league who can also command a box well and have good distribution. 

The amount Frankie gives the ball away costs us possession and also goals regardless if he makes world class saves aswell. 

Position we should be looking to upgrade this summer. And a position I would actually like us to spend a bit to get in some proven quality. 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think most clubs struggle to recruit the type of keeper everyone seems to crave ie comfortable at playing out, dominating the box and shot stopping.

Just look at Man City [Bravo era] and Liverpool with all their millions and on balance Joe Hart across the whole season. Nearly every pundit says they will struggle without upgrading.

I'm not excusing the kicking or getting beaten at the near post twice on Saturday, which was amateur, but unless we are going to divert a massive proportion of what we have to strengthen how about coaching Frankie (surely that's what the coaching staff are for) rather than getting another unknown quantity in?

Everyone does not crave. And it could easily be not most clubs. If a team is to consistently play over thirds and into the last third a Keepers distribution short will not be a primary concern. Playing out of the back consistently is the intent of some clubs, not all.

Bristol City? 

Separate what are the skill requirements for the teams ethos and tactical approach.

Just look at Man City [Bravo era] and Liverpool with all their millions and on balance Joe Hart across the whole season. Nearly every pundit says they will struggle without upgrading ... I am with respects not sure what you mean there. Bravo was brought in to replace Hart because Bravo as BCFC know to their cost is superb at distributing the ball. Hart was not. Man City team need is that the Keeper has to be excellent on the ball. HAS to be. Ederson has replaced Bravo because he is even better than Bravo at multiple elements of his game.

Bristol City do not have to divert a massive proportion of their resources on a Keeper with better footballing skills than Frank Fielding, if this a requirement for the football Mr Johnson intends to play. Keepers cost a fraction of forwards. Bristol City spend next to nothing on their Keepers. 

I was at Peterboro a couple of years back and his kicking became comical to me in the end! He sliced one kick out to the right hand side, then he tried a kick to the left which went straight out and he alternated kicks for the rest of the game , with pretty much all of them going out for a Peterboro throw-in?! Hilarious. :rofl2br:

Just to play devil’s advocate on FF’s Kicking, we know the instruction is to kick it wide...don’t you think we might see similar traits, that is, the ball going into touch too from new keeper?

i get the tactical reasons, but very few if any teams, aim as wide as us!

FF had a bad game saturday like the whole  defence. Frankie have saved many points for us this season. He is our nr1. How many gk have tried to be nr1 in City? Hes kicking is not good,, but are our defence and mf kicking good, he he. A very good goalkeeper in this division. GK in Hull also 5 saturday. Its to easy say problem is FF. Defence and midfield are the problems.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:02, Red-Robbo said:

Frank is usually much better BUT I think we should remember this isn't the only time this season he's had a stinker or done something insane to cost us points.

Hull and Wolves.

Tuther one where he feared Magnusson into being Mangleson.

Others?

If we put enough players on the naughty chair we could prove City should be champions

31 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

FF had a bad game saturday like the whole  defence. Frankie have saved many points for us this season. He is our nr1. How many gk have tried to be nr1 in City? Hes kicking is not good,, but are our defence and mf kicking good, he he. A very good goalkeeper in this division. GK in Hull also 5 saturday. Its to easy say problem is FF. Defence and midfield are the problems.

We certainly shouldn't trash everything that Fielding has done for Bristol City. A good number of goalies have come and gone when it's clear that they don't have the consistency that Fielding has. He also came back strongly from a very shaky start to his time with us.

But this season hasn't been as good as most previous. The mistakes have been more regular.  Even with LJ's tactics of kicking out to the wings, a Championship goalie should not be putting the ball out of play so regularly. His accuracy is not good.

I would always wish him well because he's been a great character but there's a point when the better performances are in the past and it's appropriate for both parties to move on.

With reference to the Hull game, I could easily believe that both goalies had been paid to let in as many goals as possible. It was not a good showcase for Championship level goalkeeping. Both had shockers.

On 22/04/2018 at 18:40, RedM said:

I always think of players in the terms of would I like to be playing against them as opposition players. For example play against Reid, no thanks he would run rings around us. Playing against Fielding wouldn’t fill me with fear in all honesty. 

I do that with opposition keepers at AG. We’ve had the likes of Norwich, Wolves, Sunderland, Preston, Brentford etc. All much better than Frankie.

He really isn’t that good at all. Giving away throw ins on the half way line doesn’t seem costly but they have the ball back again and are on the attack! Especially to teams like Brentford when they won’t give you the ball back.

Puts the pressure back on us needlessly.

6 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Everyone does not crave. And it could easily be not most clubs. If a team is to consistently play over thirds and into the last third a Keepers distribution short will not be a primary concern. Playing out of the back consistently is the intent of some clubs, not all.

Bristol City? 

Separate what are the skill requirements for the teams ethos and tactical approach.

Just look at Man City [Bravo era] and Liverpool with all their millions and on balance Joe Hart across the whole season. Nearly every pundit says they will struggle without upgrading ... I am with respects not sure what you mean there. Bravo was brought in to replace Hart because Bravo as BCFC know to their cost is superb at distributing the ball. Hart was not. Man City team need is that the Keeper has to be excellent on the ball. HAS to be. Ederson has replaced Bravo because he is even better than Bravo at multiple elements of his game.

Bristol City do not have to divert a massive proportion of their resources on a Keeper with better footballing skills than Frank Fielding, if this a requirement for the football Mr Johnson intends to play. Keepers cost a fraction of forwards. Bristol City spend next to nothing on their Keepers. 

I guess the point I was trying to make was that even with unlimited millions top clubs still struggle with keepers. And good keepers cost loads more than they used too - Pickford, Ederson etc.

This thread seems to want to play from the back in LJ style - I'll be shocked if there are keepers available who can do that. I appreciate we don't spend much but even spending a few millions is not guaranteed to unearth a gem, although I was intrigued that we were chasing Pope at one point (on another thread).

Why can't we coach Frank and save this constant hire and fire - that is what good coaches do.

I think on balance Frank has had an excellent season (kicking aside).

11 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I guess the point I was trying to make was that even with unlimited millions top clubs still struggle with keepers. And good keepers cost loads more than they used too - Pickford, Ederson etc.

This thread seems to want to play from the back in LJ style - I'll be shocked if there are keepers available who can do that. I appreciate we don't spend much but even spending a few millions is not guaranteed to unearth a gem, although I was intrigued that we were chasing Pope at one point (on another thread).

Why can't we coach Frank and save this constant hire and fire - that is what good coaches do.

I think on balance Frank has had an excellent season (kicking aside).

Bristol City will struggle if they are only going to  spend a fraction of what they do on Forwards, unless the academy etc unearth these players. 

The question I posed was Bristol City?

It is not the thread. It is what do Bristol City need and how will they play like in future? 

Why can't we coach Frank and save this constant hire and fire - that is what good coaches do ... How much do you think he can improve and why does he not have these skills now?

That is a serious question. It applies to all players. A huge block of a players technical foundation is set in place in their early development. It is years of work.

Tactics could alter to retain possession more, which again leads to the ? and Bristol City. 

14 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Great servant to the club over the years but we need a new number 1 next season.  Not sure who is out there but the one keeper that stood out this season for me was the Norwich keeper.  Bryan Gunn’s son I think.

Angus Gunn?

Honestly said when Daniel Bentley was at Southend that we should've been in for him. Have him here in a heartbeat. 

Tell you what Max O'Leary has been doing well out on loan at Solihull, wonder how many years itll be before he's realistically back fighting for a first team place.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Angus Gunn?

Honestly said when Daniel Bentley was at Southend that we should've been in for him. Have him here in a heartbeat. 

Tell you what Max O'Leary has been doing well out on loan at Solihull, wonder how many years itll be before he's realistically back fighting for a first team place.

Yes, Angus Gunn.  Looked very good.  League 2 loan maybe for O’Leary next season.

On 22/04/2018 at 08:07, Lew-T said:

Sorry, I’ll have a go. I often compare with opposition keepers who come down here and I have to say, I’d probably pick 3/4 of the division’s keepers over Fielding. The guy is a fruit loop at times.

Can you imagine playing yourself and having him command you? I don’t see it personally.

Agree mate whoever is playing in the back four you need your keeper to command an call  inspire confidence ive seen a lot if times this season where the balls been planted in the six yard box with fielding nowhere  to take the ball 

Archived