IGNORED

Bristol Boy - a thought provoking perspective

NickJ

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t disagree on lack of leaders and awful January but I don’t think lack of quality is true at all. You don’t beat several premier league sides if you don’t have quality. You might fluke one game but we went toe to toe with the champions of the country over 3 hours of football. No fluke.  

We have two of the league’s best strikers, defensive players ‘allegedly’ coveted by much better sides and finally an academy that seems to be producing talent. 

Also you mention ‘league position’ as a positive as if its a triviality. It’s the ultimate end goal isn’t it? Form doesn’t matter when the season finishes. You can lose your last ten games and still win the league or you can win your last ten and get relegated. 

When you break things down to simple unarguable facts, we have made four consecutive years of improving our league placing and have gone from staring down the barrel of relegation into Division 4 to falling just short of knocking on the door of the Premier League in four seasons. 

For all the negativity there’s some serious credit due along the way. 

Strikers are strikers and they either score or they don't, that is how they are generally judged. The serious lack of quality is in midfield and has been for far too long now.

Ditto your assumption that form is a triviality, form matters to keep 2Ok crowds and being less reliant on SL's money (which surely is the aim) people will not want to watch 4 months of great football followed by 4 months of abject football, as several people have said if our season had been more evenIy spread win, lose or draw wise it wouldn't have mattered so much, but I have certainly have found watching from January onwards a huge chore instead of the expectancy of earlier in the season. His record of these long streaks has to be addressed and decide whether it's a flaw that will remain with him and I for one will watch closely our summer transfer activity and early season form, because consistency is what now should be the next expected goal for our club and I for one truly believe that our form over the past 4 months does not put us in the established bracket of the championship, that will depend upon the form we carry into next season.

Of course there is undeniable credit due along the way, but the most important part of a successful club is recruitment and ours is sadly lacking, I have to question the role of Mark Ashton and ask has our recruitment improved under him? and judging by the last indicator of January and the team selection for last Saturday of only 5 LJ/MA signings making the starting line up out of 30 odd signings answers that and LJ banging on about leaders FFS is plain stupid as he and MA are the only people who affect that and they have singularly failed in that regard LJ has admitted as much.

The body language on the pitch over the past month/6 weeks is not good, it does not look like a happy camp to me at all and that needs addressing. Our strength earlier in the season was built upon our team spirit and togetherness on and off the field, that has disappeared and is a worry.

17 minutes ago, glynriley said:

We were discussing this on Saturday in the pub. Do you reckon there is a time scale on getting promotion? Or will the club just go along season after season, buying up young players and hoping that they either develop into a squad capable of promotion or they are sold on for a profit? A kind of it will happen if/when it happens scenario.

We clearly are not going to deviate from the plan, January, and particularly the signing of Walsh, showed that. LJ spoke last week about budget restrictions and not being able to compete on wages. Perhaps we may have been in a position to if we hadn't signed him??

So the it's clear the plan won't change, even when opportunity knocks. So we could be bumbling along for another 30 years waiting for the plan to work. I''l be there though (for as long as possible!)

The honest answer is that we don’t know. Ultimately the aims of the club are driven from the top down. Johnson will have goals and objectives against which his performance is measured - the honest answer is that I have no idea what those are. 

For example an objective may have been ‘a top six finish in the next 5 years’ or ‘a top half finish within 3 years’....

I think it’s clear that the ultimate goal is a club that can sustain itself without the benefit of a billionaire sugar daddy - as it should be. I’m surprised in hindsight that on the face of it we didn’t seem to really want to go for it in January but then it’s also not me who has put tens of millions in out of my own pocket and seen it produce a side ultimately that was starting down the barrel of relegation to the bottom tier just a few years ago....

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

He doesn't come on here now due to the posters that want to slag off rather than discuss, but I'm fairly sure he'd be happy to have his view expressed nevertheless. Not asking anyone to debate. You can do what you like with it, just thought that it was a very well put point of view.

Having seen his Twitter a few times that's rather ironic but he does make some very good points in the OP.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Strikers are strikers and they either score or they don't, that is how they are generally judged. The serious lack of quality is in midfield and has been for far too long now.

Indeed - ours score in large quantities and have been let down badly by their defensive colleagues in 17/18, just as in 16/17 and 15/16.... agree re lack of quality in some areas that needs addressing in summer 

Ditto your assumption that form is a triviality, form matters to keep 2Ok crowds and being less reliant on SL's money (which surely is the aim) people will not want to watch 4 months of great football followed by 4 months of abject football, as several people have said if our season had been more evenIy spread win, lose or draw wise it wouldn't have mattered so much, but I have certainly have found watching from January onwards a huge chore instead of the expectancy of earlier in the season. His record of these long streaks has to be addressed and decide whether it's a flaw that will remain with him and I for one will watch closely our summer transfer activity and early season form, because consistency is what now should be the next expected goal for our club and I for one truly believe that our form over the past 4 months does not put us in the established bracket of the championship, that will depend upon the form we carry into next season.

Of course no one wants that but you can’t ignore the fact that we could have been ‘steady’ and finished 12th and people would be happier than us being erratic and finishing 8th, not sure that makes a lot of sense. Of course we all want the massive swings in results to stabilise and ending the season on a low ebb isn’t good 

Of course there is undeniable credit due along the way, but the most important part of a successful club is recruitment and ours is sadly lacking, I have to question the role of Mark Ashton and ask has our recruitment improved under him? and judging by the last indicator of January and the team selection for last Saturday of only 5 LJ/MA signings making the starting line up out of 30 odd signings answers that and LJ banging on about leaders FFS is plain stupid as he and MA are the only people who affect that and they have singularly failed in that regard LJ has admitted as much.

I think people pay too much attention to quantity of signings. Several of the signings have been made specifically for future years and so to judge their success purely on whether they’re regular first teamers yet isn’t quite right. Also one Kodjia pays for 10 Engvalls - with this model sometimes you have to gamble. Diedhiou is already worth probably double what we paid for him. I agree that there have been plenty of misses but we can’t ignore the hits. 

The body language on the pitch over the past month/6 weeks is not good, it does not look like a happy camp to me at all and that needs addressing. Our strength earlier in the season was built upon our team spirit and togetherness on and off the field, that has disappeared and is a worry.

Agreed, but if they were happy and full of beans after several months of below par performances I’d be more worried about that! Personally I’m happy to see a bit of squad turnover in the summer - it’s time to move on those who are too comfortable IMO

52 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What I mean is that in the summer everyone was saying they’d be happy with few years of ‘establishing ourselves’ and firmly cementing our place as a competent championship outfit, rather than a perennial struggler. 

Now because we had a good few everyone has almost expected us to instantly change our entire philosophy around recruitment, wages, etc because they demand instant gratification

All of a sudden now no one is happy for us to become an established club and lay the foundations for building up from here. People talk about failing like the only acceptable outcome of the season was top six. 

Err, Sorry B86, I dont agree with that.

Is it asking our Philosophy to change to simply sign two or three players that would improve us? We signed Baker didnt we? 

With regards to our recruitment. In the first team against Hull we had two players that LJ bought in with MA. Brownhill and Diedhiou. We've signed 23 players permanantly since MA arrived.

Our recruitment policy needs to be changed. It was better under Cotts and Pembo ala: Kodjia - Success, Tomlin - Success, Baker - Success, Bennett - Success, Fredericks - Cant Say, Moore - Wasnt fit, O'Donnell - at the time a success, Robinson - proven capable since at Preston, Hamer - not match fit, Pearce - championship experience but poor and was not match fit, Matthews - wasnt match fit but was decent that season, horrific after.

For whatever reason in some cases they didnt work out. Look at Robinson, Moore, Fredericks, Tomlin, Kodjia, and Baker now. All at minimum still playing in the Championship.

Then look at recruiment since.

How do Hegeler, Steele, O'Neil, Taylor, Pisano, Tomlin fit in the philosophy?

Our recruitment bar Brownhill has been utter trash.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Welcome to Ziderheads. Thought there was a swear filter on OTIB though?

He doesn't come on here now due to the posters that want to slag off rather than discuss, but I'm fairly sure he'd be happy to have his view expressed nevertheless. Not asking anyone to debate. You can do what you like with it, just thought that it was a very well put point of view.

I think it should be turned on again. No need for it and lowers the standard of debate significantly. MODS?

Everyone has been criticised on here at one time or other to minor or major degree; thats life. If you express a strong opinion you will receive a response sometimes not what you always wish to read. Did Ian not receive a response from Geoff T on Saturday of similar ilk? Or was that the other fella? they sound alike to me.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What I mean is that in the summer everyone was saying they’d be happy with few years of ‘establishing ourselves’ and firmly cementing our place as a competent championship outfit, rather than a perennial struggler. 

Now because we had a good few months everyone has almost expected us to instantly change our entire philosophy around recruitment, wages, etc because they demand instant gratification.

All of a sudden now no one is happy for us to become an established club and lay the foundations for building up from here. People talk about failing like the only acceptable outcome of the season was top six. 

Fuck me backwards. I've been a fan since 1981....37 years of almost unadulterated shite. Is it too much to ask , for the powers-that-be to get their act together and grow some enormous steel nadgers?

I would not consider this to be an unreasonable request.

1 minute ago, Juan Kerr said:

Fuck me backwards. I've been a fan since 1981....37 years of almost unadulterated shite. Is it too much to ask , for the powers-that-be to get their act together and grow some enormous steel nadgers?

I would not put it quite so graphically nor wish such an experience but I do follow exactly where you are coming from and agree with it.

28 signings and only 5 anywhere near the team; Ian (Bristol Boy) said that? We have all discussed similar numbers... nothing short of diabolical.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Maybe if he wants his opinions posted on here he should post them on here? Bit pointless debating someone’s opinion when they can’t even respond. 

He was a *** when he posted on here and I see that he hasn't changed. 

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Err, Sorry B86, I dont agree with that.

Is it asking our Philosophy to change to simply sign two or three players that would improve us? We signed Baker didnt we? 

With regards to our recruitment. In the first team against Hull we had two players that LJ bought in with MA. Brownhill and Diedhiou. We've signed 23 players permanantly since MA arrived.

Our recruitment policy needs to be changed. It was better under Cotts and Pembo ala: Kodjia - Success, Tomlin - Success, Baker - Success, Bennett - Success, Fredericks - Cant Say, Moore - Wasnt fit, O'Donnell - at the time a success, Robinson - proven capable since at Preston, Hamer - not match fit, Pearce - championship experience but poor and was not match fit, Matthews - wasnt match fit but was decent that season, horrific after.

For whatever reason in some cases they didnt work out. Look at Robinson, Moore, Fredericks, Tomlin, Kodjia, and Baker now. All at minimum still playing in the Championship.

Then look at recruiment since.

How do Hegeler, Steele, O'Neil, Taylor, Pisano, Tomlin fit in the philosophy?

Our recruitment bar Brownhill has been utter trash.

Fair points but can’t agree with your closing paragraph. COD, Baker, Paterson, Wright, Taylor ate all good players and Diedhiou is a superb player who has probably doubled in value - so not sure how you can say ‘recruitment bar Brownhill has been utter trash’

Bur some perspective is needed about who we are - comparisons with Mitrovic and Grabban are as ridiculous as Stoke and Swansea complaining that they got beaten to Sanchez. We’re playing at a different table at the moment.   

Simple analogy.

On Saturday night you go to your favourite watering hole, because the beer is good, the staff are good and the clientele are friendly.

And suddenly the beer gives you the shits all day Sunday, the staff start to not give a crap and allow gasheads into the premises.

After a while you will look for a different watering hole until the said watering hole gets back to what made it so good in the first place, I suspect a lot of the 20k hard earned customers must feeling be like that and thinking about whether their hard earned cash can be better spent.

The last 4 months has given me the shits.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Simple analogy.

On Saturday night you go to your favourite watering hole, because the beer is good, the staff are good and the clientele are friendly.

And suddenly the beer gives you the shits all day Sunday, the staff start to not give a crap and allow gasheads into the premises.

After a while you will look for a different watering hole until the said watering hole gets back to what made it so good in the first place, I suspect a lot of the 20k hard earned customers must feeling be like that and thinking about whether their hard earned cash can be better spent.

The last 4 months has given me the shits.

Interesting analogy but not particularly appropriate and far too simplistic. Football is a sport, a competition between two teams, it isn’t a tangible product that has one defined measure of quality. 

It’s weird, on the one hand you have this uproar about the spirit of the club being eroded under BS and how the club is able so much more than money, success etc....and on the other you have the notion that if the football isn’t good you’ll just wander elsewhere and find some that is good. 

13 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I'm unconvinced that even the 'nadgers' are a requirement...I'd settle, after decades, for the powers that be simply getting their act together. Hiring a few people who've actually delivered promotion to the top flight in the past would be a starting point...

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair points but can’t agree with your closing paragraph. COD, Baker, Paterson, Wright, Taylor ate all good players and Diedhiou is a superb player who has probably doubled in value - so not sure how you can say ‘recruitment bar Brownhill has been utter trash’

Bur some perspective is needed about who we are - comparisons with Mitrovic and Grabban are as ridiculous as Stoke and Swansea complaining that they got beaten to Sanchez. We’re playing at a different table at the moment.   

Hard to draw an opinion on O'Dowda, he - so far - is still returning from injury and its a question as to whether he van replicate that amazing but short period of pre injury form.

Baker? Sorry but I doubt we wouldve signed him without Cotts being the one to get him in on loan, and has regressed over he course of the season, so I cant give LJ or MA credit on that one.

Paterson, good player, but this season has shown LJ cant manage him when off form. But granted, good little bit of recruitment. Have we improved him as a footballer? Debeatable.

Wright? Well he was a mainstay in a cracking Preston side and has great leadership credentials. Are we using him correctly? No.

Taylor? Decent squad player. Does he improve on what we have? Debeatable. I feel his best position would be behind Diedhiou, but we have Reid and Pato who are better there.

My final comment wasnt well though out. I forgot about Diedhiou. Arguably Pato.

Besides that however the jury is still out.

The issue is a 15% success rate isnt sustianable. Compare that to Cotts' signings. They actually seem like some scouting took place.

Kodjia, Baker, Fredericks, Robinson, Bennett - Id take all of them now, and we actually ended up signing one of them. Even our backups on paper werent bad at the time i.e. Matthews, Pearce, Gladwin, Moore, Imagine if the scouting team in Cotts' reign had access to the kitty we'll have if Reid and Bryan go. Id be a lot more confident.

The only truly bad signings I can recall are El-Abd, Hamer, and Cox. Two were loans and El Abd was free (and on paper at the time seemed a good signing, was also Cotts first one). Garita was a harmless punt.

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Why do people keep saying this about City fans? Maybe the under 20's might, but not those of us who are of an older vintage. If I'd have wanted instant success I'd have stopped going about 30 years ago!

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two weeks ago and all I've got to show for it so far are a few ****ing leaves poking up through the soil. I had hoped to be harvesting and devouring me own spuds by NOW NOW NOW but apparently there won't be any until July or something.

Absolute shambles.

18 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Hard to draw an opinion on O'Dowda, he - so far - is still returning from injury and its a question as to whether he van replicate that amazing but short period of pre injury form.

Baker? Sorry but I doubt we wouldve signed him without Cotts being the one to get him in on loan, and has regressed over he course of the season, so I cant give LJ or MA credit on that one.

Paterson, good player, but this season has shown LJ cant manage him when off form. But granted, good little bit of recruitment. Have we improved him as a footballer? Debeatable.

Wright? Well he was a mainstay in a cracking Preston side and has great leadership credentials. Are we using him correctly? No.

Taylor? Decent squad player. Does he improve on what we have? Debeatable. I feel his best position would be behind Diedhiou, but we have Reid and Pato who are better there.

My final comment wasnt well though out. I forgot about Diedhiou. Arguably Pato.

Besides that however the jury is still out.

The issue is a 15% success rate isnt sustianable. Compare that to Cotts' signings. They actually seem like some scouting took place.

Kodjia, Baker, Fredericks, Robinson, Bennett - Id take all of them now, and we actually ended up signing one of them. Even our backups on paper werent bad at the time i.e. Matthews, Pearce, Gladwin, Moore, Imagine if the scouting team in Cotts' reign had access to the kitty we'll have if Reid and Bryan go. Id be a lot more confident.

The only truly bad signings I can recall are El-Abd, Hamer, and Cox. Two were loans and El Abd was free (and on paper at the time seemed a good signing, was also Cotts first one). Garita was a harmless punt.

Fair comments. But more than a little unfair to lambast Johnson for Tomlin but give credit to cotts for Matthews because it ‘looked good on paper’. 

99% would have piggybacked Tomlin here 

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two weeks ago and all I've got to show for it so far are a few ****ing leaves poking up through the soil. I had hoped to be harvesting and devouring me own spuds by NOW NOW NOW but apparently there won't be any until July or something. 

Absolute shambles. 

Spuds for the future. You'll have to borrow some full grown spuds for now, but you probably won't be able to chip or mash them.

Basically, the recruitment is the remit of Mark Ashton. He needs to be called out. Nearly 30 players signed in 4 windows under his management. And regardless of whether they are for the future or not, you’d expect more than 4 of them to be in the 1st XI by now! 

Ashton runs the whole recruitment strategy. It’s failed miserably. We are still relying on players who’ve been at the club for over 5 years. Ashton’s recruitment philosophy to date has NOT improved us. 

Next season is a big test for Ashton. If our team is still majority-filled with players he’s not signed then I do wonder what the hell he’s doing here. He needs to be held to account as much as LJ on this front. 

Yes, I’m sure LJ has a say in the transfers but the whole recruitment is the responsibility of Ashton. 

He needs some of his signings to start showing up next season. That probably means starting Moore at right back, starting Eliason at right wing. Magnusson playing LCB. Walsh needs to get more games in CM. Engvall needs to get more minutes instead of useless loan signings. Those 5 are an outlay if over £8m!!  Add another £3m for Duric & O’Dowda and we need more production from them too. 

We need to start seeing some of this pay off.  If these things aren’t happening by December, then Ashton needs to be called out as a fraud. 

The team needs to resemble something like this by mid-season to justify Ashton’s position :

New GK

Moore-Wright-Magnusson-Kelly

Eliason-Smith-Walsh-O’Dowda

Engvall-Duric

this is assuming the loss of Flint, Bryan, Reid & Pack. 

Can Ashton’s plans come to fruition? I remain to be convinced. 

That team would get wrecked at this moment in time, or struggle big time at least- quite a few with little experience- either because they are young, haven't had a fair chance, are unproven- or any combination of the three.

Where's Brownhill?

A Smith and Walsh midfield- just waltz on through and run at the defence, lots of sides at this level play 3 in midfield- and play it for a reason!

No Diedhiou?

Taylor surely too has more experience than Engvall- and has had his moments.

Paterson?

26 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Basically, the recruitment is the remit of Mark Ashton. He needs to be called out. Nearly 30 players signed in 4 windows under his management. And regardless of whether they are for the future or not, you’d expect more than 4 of them to be in the 1st XI by now! 

Not defending the recruitment, as some has been really poor for sure, but that doesn’t really tell the full picture  

Pisano, Baker, Wright, Steele, O’Dowda, Brownhill, Eliasson, Taylor, Paterson, Diedhiou, Djuric, Magnusson are all in and around the match day squad - some more involved than others - as well as the odd player who has moved on since coming here (ie Tomlin who 99% were thrilled about)

Bear in mind not every signing has been made with a view to immediate first team football - some like Steele are signed as cover/backup and some are signed as rotation/different options - very few sides actually play the same XI week in week out. 

In fact in terms of permanent signings it’s only Moore and Engvall who are really the odd ones out. But personally if Taylor Moore for example is say 4th or 5th choice CB - I’d rather he got 49 games a season somewhere else than 20 minutes off the bench every 5th game here. 

Hegeler and GON have been disappointing, though injuries have played a big role there especially with GON.

I’d then also argue that Reid, Bryan and Flint have all improved under ‘the regime’ and so although not Johnson signings, can’t really be levelled as a criticism that ‘Pre Johnson’ signings are keeping his own out of the team. 

Loans have been largely ineffective and disappointing, but unfortunately ‘twas ever thus. The majority have only been signed to make up numbers and were not brought in with a view to improving the first eleven so to speak. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That team would get wrecked at this moment in time, or struggle big time at least- quite a few with little experience- either because they are young, haven't had a fair chance, are unproven- or any combination of the three.

Where's Brownhill?

A Smith and Walsh midfield- just waltz on through and run at the defence, lots of sides at this level play 3 in midfield- and play it for a reason!

No Diedhiou?

Taylor surely too has more experience than Engvall- and has had his moments.

Paterson?

Yeah not saying that’s the 1st strength team, but those named need to see much more action next season to justify their recruitment. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not defending the recruitment, as some has been really poor for sure, but that doesn’t really tell the full picture  

Pisano, Baker, Wright, Steele, O’Dowda, Brownhill, Eliasson, Taylor, Paterson, Diedhiou, Djuric, Magnusson are all in and around the match day squad - some more involved than others - as well as the odd player who has moved on since coming here (ie Tomlin who 99% were thrilled about)

Bear in mind not every signing has been made with a view to immediate first team football - some like Steele are signed as cover/backup and some are signed as rotation/different options - very few sides actually play the same XI week in week out. 

In fact in terms of permanent signings it’s only Moore and Engvall who are really the odd ones out. But personally if Taylor Moore for example is say 4th or 5th choice CB - I’d rather he got 49 games a season somewhere else than 20 minutes off the bench every 5th game here. 

Hegeler and GON have been disappointing, though injuries have played a big role there especially with GON.

I’d then also argue that Reid, Bryan and Flint have all improved under ‘the regime’ and so although not Johnson signings, can’t really be levelled as a criticism that ‘Pre Johnson’ signings are keeping his own out of the team. 

Loans have been largely ineffective and disappointing, but unfortunately ‘twas ever thus. The majority have only been signed to make up numbers and were not brought in with a view to improving the first eleven so to speak. 

Of course there are other signings but those I singled out are the ones which are the big money signings of whom we’ve yet to see any kind of tangible return. 

£11m of signings. They need to be the ones who start showing next year. 

The coaching of players you’ve mentioned is not relevant to my post. I am arguing that Ashton is to be held to account for the recruitment. The fact LJ might have improved some players is basically his job. I’m calling Ashton out for recruitment, not LJ. 

Edit. Plus those I mentioned (the bigger money signings) have an average age of nearly 22. They’re not exactly inexperienced teens. 

14 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Yeah not saying that’s the 1st strength team, but those named need to see much more action next season to justify their recruitment. 

Would suggest a number of those are squad players who aren't first choice but can do a job (Magnusson, Wright, Djuric), a work in progress- hopefully in Moore's case.

Eliasson and Engvall, have they had a fair chance? I'd suggest not- but because Eliasson has played a few times this year, I'm hopeful he can step up to play a bigger role personally. Engvall probably won't make it, that's the big fail in that side.

O'Dowda is still young and let's not forget he had a hefty injury this year (possibly rushed back IMO, should probably have been eased in a bit more gently).

I'd also argue that Hegeler in a variety of circs is capable of playing a role here still- less so in an arguably dated version of 4-4-2.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would suggest a number of those are squad players who aren't first choice but can do a job (Magnusson, Wright, Djuric), a work in progress- hopefully in Moore's case.

Eliasson and Engvall, have they had a fair chance? I'd suggest not- but because Eliasson has played a few times this year, I'm hopeful he can step up to play a bigger role personally. Engvall probably won't make it, that's the big fail in that side.

O'Dowda is still young and let's not forget he had a hefty injury this year (possibly rushed back IMO, should probably have been eased in a bit more gently).

I'd also argue that Hegeler in a variety of circs is capable of playing a role here still- less so in a dated 4-4-2.

I’m taking value for money in the recruitment strategy. 

O’Dowda, Duric, Eliason, Engvall, Moore, Walsh, Magnusson. Total of £11m outlay. None of them have held down a 1st team spot. Some not even close. Even pre-injury, Cod & Duric weren’t regular starters.

The signings that are slightly more successfully (Brownhill, Paterson, Taylor?) are free transfers and small fees. 

The recruitment needs to be seriously scrutinised if it doesn’t start providing more regular 1st team starters next season. That’s on Ashton. 

11 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

I’m taking value for money in the recruitment strategy. 

O’Dowda, Duric, Eliason, Engvall, Moore, Walsh, Magnusson. Total of £11m outlay. None of them have held down a 1st team spot. Some not even close. Even pre-injury, Cod & Duric weren’t regular starters.

The signings that are slightly more successfully (Brownhill, Paterson, Taylor?) are free transfers and small fees. 

The recruitment needs to be seriously scrutinised if it doesn’t start providing more regular 1st team starters next season. That’s on Ashton. 

It's partly on Ashton, as well as the scouts and the backroom analysts, however we know LJ has the final say and can veto all signings.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's partly on Ashton, as well as the scouts and the backroom analysts, however we know LJ has the final say and can veto all signings.

Ashton has himself said that all off field football matters are his responsibility. That includes scouting, analysts, contractual decisions. LJ no doubt had some say but the overall responsibility is on Ashton. That’s his role. LJ is the head coach, not the head of recruitment. 

Archived